Avengers 5.1

Wrapping up the 5-part Marvel minseries about the first "not muh Avengers" team

I don't know why they needed so many additional artists to wrap up this story.

Anybody else feel like this was a colossal waste of time? Like, this would have been a single issue filler story back in the 70s if the book was running late, penned by Roy Thomas to explain a power creep.

It's nice to see the characters together but I definitely feel like it could have been better.

I liked it better than Casey's Earth's Mightiest Heroes flashback series but not as much as the really good nostalgia stuff (Untold Tales of Spider-Man, X-Men First Class).

The Cap's Kooky Quartet flashback fill-in in Thunderbolts 9 (by Busiek & Stern) was also better.

Is "this villain has absorbed all our powers" the most-used thing in team comics?

"We're now immune to her powers because science" seems a bit of an ass pull even by '60s standards.

This seems to be where Mark Bagley takes over. Good old Mark, the Speedy Gonzales of Marvel artists.

I suppose the main artist (Kitson) was late and Marvel didn't want to delay the final issue.

Bagley draws kind of a cute Wanda.

This is a real letters page (the first two issues reprinted old letters)

The guy who really came out looking good from this series is the letterer, Ferran Delgado. Does a really good job of recapturing the old Marvel look and the lettering styles of guys like Simek.

Might as well also post the Kooky Quartet story from Thunderbolts #9 back in the ancient days of 1977.

This was an inventory/filler story to be dropped into Thunderbolts in a month when the creators needed a break.

Black Widow wound up telling the story because of when it took place, which doesn't make any sense because she wasn't there, but whatever.

I dunno. I liked it. It was fun, and characterizing them as they were long ago was a fresh breeze, ironically,

This is one thing that's never been dealt with in much detail, how the public would react to seeing two Evil Mutants and one criminal archer on the Avengers.

The original comics didn't deal with it at all, they just said the X-Men had vouched for Wanda and Pietro (this was before the X-Men were hated and feared) and Iron Man had vouched for Hawkeye. There's still a lot of story to be told there, I guess the new mini told a little bit of it but not enough.

It's always good to see a Quicksilver who is haughty but not a complete asshole.

Writers usually make him a complete asshole or they just drop the haughtiness and make him more like the guy from the X-Men movies.

Probably has to do with emulating the old school style. When you're not used to work in that inhouse style, it probably isn't easy to draw in a convincing retro but still modern way.

Mark Farmer of Marvel UK fame?

I liked it a lot

Yeah, he usually inks for Alan Davis.

The professional inker is really a lost category now thanks to digital, but there are still a few holdovers.

Nice ass shot.

I wish they brought back Radioactive Man. He was great in Thunderbolts.

This is very Clint'ish.
I guess Waid knows how to read him, not matter if it is old or current. A pitty he's not going to show in the current Avengers book.

This page makes me miss Quickslav.

whats that device he left on the stone facing towards her?

Agreed. This mini really made the letterer shine, and he did.

>Pietro "quivering" right behind the quiver of arrows
beautiful

Anti-gravity disc.

thank you

How is Wanda even doing that with the tree?

>want to find out what this whole miniseries was about?
>too bad, buy this other book!

Wait, Sandman assisted in homocide? So much for his apologists.

He was a murderer before he got the powers.

They forgot to immunize everybody in the area? That's quite the oversight.

They forgot about Jarvis.
Sometimes that happens.