Most of us agree that the comic strips are mediocre, but what does Sup Forums think of Garfield's animated output?

Most of us agree that the comic strips are mediocre, but what does Sup Forums think of Garfield's animated output?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AfIQn4eSaHU
youtube.com/watch?v=c6vL48DHcKw
youtube.com/watch?v=Ov8_UhDPHqM
youtu.be/YTR-3WYURuQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield_and_Friends#Cancellation
youtube.com/watch?v=_gWfgV4NaS0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

LADIES AND GENTLMEN

it was good

It was great

LOTSA SPAGHETTI

Mediocre, but less so.

Garfield and Friends is great! 9 lives is great! Everything else ranges from Mediocre to terribad.

Garfield came off way too smug. Those round Raviolis he shilled in those commercials were fucking delicious, though.

Garfield's comic strips used to be great, but it's running for way too fucking long honestly.

I don't even get what the joke is supposed to be in some of the newer strips

it also heavily triggers me that newer strips have the characters using smartphones

They are taking photos of things they are going to eat.

Garfield is going to eat everything in the fridge because he's a fat cat who loves to snack.

I eat Jon, it's what I do.

9 Lives Tier
>Garfield: His 9 Lives

Great Tier
>Here Comes Garfield
>Garfield's Feline Fantasies
>Garfield's Babes and Bullets
>Garfield's Halloween Adventure

Good Tier
>Garfield in the Rough
>A Garfield Christmas
>Garfield on the Town
>Garfield in Paradise

Mediocre Tier
>Garfield's Thanksgiving
>Garfield Gets a Life
>Garfield Goes Hollywood

Documentary Tier
>Happy Birthday, Garfield

There's that new(ish?) 3D animated Garfield show, that always seems to be on in the middle of the night over here, and from what I've seen, it's just trash, I wouldn't want kids to watch it because it's just such a crappy show.

I'M NOW GOING TO TUSKEN RAID THAT FRIDGE

Garfield was never great. You might have enjoyed him as a child but that's because you didn't know any better. Garfield started as a cashgrab as he was one of those gross college comic strips that was popular in the 70's, only more palatable to the public at large. Davis quickly discovered that kids liked the fat cat so he turned it into a family comic.

Garfield has always been shit, and with the exception of 9 lives, anything good with Garfield has been an accident.

>Kids like a comic for kids
WOOOOOW

WE ARE THE BUDDY BEARS

WE ALWAYS GET ALONG

youtube.com/watch?v=AfIQn4eSaHU

Which was the one where he meets his mother? That one fucked me up as a kid.

>Most of us agree that the comic strips are mediocre
Most of you have shit taste.

I prefer Gazorpazorpfield

the Barnyard cartoons are kind of bland, maybe it was the musical segments

I'll put it in a form you might understand.

You're eating us out of house and home GARMFIELD

garfield on the town

10/10

Vastly superior in every way.

I really enjoyed it.

> if you saw it on tv, it must be true!

My first distinct memory of a cartoon was this show.

mine too, I think. I didn't even know it was a newspaper strip until later.

Loved it as a kid. I watched it again with my niece a few years back, and I'd say it held up pretty well. The stories were varied, and the music was usually pretty good.

This list is objective correct

>You will never be able to watch 'the Gazanplatz Hour'.

did you know this theme song existed?

I didn't know this theme song existed.

youtube.com/watch?v=c6vL48DHcKw

IT STILL WORKS

t. aging hipster

It's a shame Lorenzo Music died. His voice was just really perfect for Garfield.

And Odie's bugle leitmotif is always on my mind one way or another.

>camera written in a box disconnected from the content of the panel
That panel isn't necessary

genuinely sounds like the least effort put into lyrics imaginable
It sounds like they were just made up on the spot

That was kind of the time when CBS wanted to cut costs on the show.

It was also the time when Mark Evanier introduced an antagonist on U.S. Acres who started cost cutting things, probably not a coincidence.

I hate it too, they are whoever, not praising the smartphones, they are making fun of those fags who take photos of every fucking thing they eat, like we people gave a fuck about that, no one gives a fuck, that's the joke

It's in newspapers, it's probably neccesary for a lot of its readership

That came out a few years ago and finally phased out completely in the US, no one liked it.

The fucking worst are those PetForce movies (think there are 2).

My 1st memory of this show was when we moved to a new house and this was on when we got cable (Nick) for I think the first time. I also remember this was the day the family channel became fox family for a little bit.

Why are all of garfield's friends barnyard animals?

Post a great Garfield strip

no, you don't understand
the show features garfield, and the us acres characters, who are friends with each other

Quality animation.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ov8_UhDPHqM

youtu.be/YTR-3WYURuQ

I love Garfield. Check out how he looks now.

That was pretty funny.

there's no way jim davis had anything to do with the writing of this show

Makes me glad I never saw this thing when I used to see this on TV.

*this show

Wew, a cartoon show that holds up to how I remember it, I wonder if the other episodes are as good as this

This was pretty good and I got a few laughs out of it.

>the convict falling down the stairs out of nowhere

US Acres was the better show.

Well it's better than the German Naruto opening, but not by much.

OH

That's a fine-ass list, user.

Vampininios >> any gazornenplat

Gazornenplats are just cheap smaller imitations!

this is why I will never be able to dislike Garfield

Mine too, oddly. Some episode with them camping. Campfire and bear.

I remember liking the characters and their gimmicks.

It's crazy how Garfield moving his mouth really isn't a mistake anymore

Not a single living being for miles around.

Yeah, the entire video is a big fat mistake. Garfield isn't supposed to be funny, fucking hacks.

i cant believe i watched the whole thing.

ON A SUNNY TUESDAY

>2nd of three theme songs is the best
>replace the other theme songs in syndication with the best one
okay i'm with you
>also replace the funny thing garfield says at the end of each one, meaning most of us don't hear two thirds of them
it would have been so easy to just splice that in. what the hell?

holy shit i just remembered those. they were delightful. way better than most modern canned ravioli. only other good one was the 'superiore' shit but you cant find that anymore

there is something very wrong with these people having smartphones
didnt they used to have jokes about jon being behind on technology?

I loved it growing up.

yeah modern garfield animation has been a shitshow BUT "Garfield gets real" was actually pretty funny and clever, despite it fighting its own formula the hardest any animation has since Bonkers ("real life" is still animated, just different textures)
they were a little... saccharine from time to time. mostly orson. roy and wade were a constant joy though, and Bo was my inspiration
lanolin needs to take some fucking pamprin already. there's something funny about a fluffy white animal being perpetually on the rag. she reminded me of patty and selma

it's funny it took us so long to put frank welker in the role, he was always involved in garfield stuff in one role or another.. and he does a damn serviceable impression

THE RABBITS IS COMING

can you imagine working for CBS
you work your ass off to make these keyframes and the shit comes back miscolored or the wrong character is talking and there's no money to redo it

Wow that's horrendous.

>radioactive mutant killer guppies
>the klopman diamond
>SPLUT!
>HEYYYYYY KIDS!
if this show was on now it would be a Sup Forums meme staple

fuckin classic

What about the theme song where the fun never ends
With Garfield and friends
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
I had never heard that shit 'friends are there' song until i watched the show online like a year ago

there were three theme songs, the early shows had 'Friends are there' and the rest until season 7 had 'We're ready to party'

I can think of another one that would have ended up there, pic related

splut? what's a splut?

"Friends Are There" was like Season 1 and 2 or something like that. "Fun Never Ends" was the song they ended up using for most of its run. And was like final season.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield_and_Friends#Cancellation

>The seventh season (1994) was the last one because CBS wanted to cut the budget (and in fact, CBS's Saturday morning cartoon lineup would be mostly replaced by CBS News Saturday Morning two years later, which eventually evolved into the Saturday edition of The Early Show). The production company nixed this proposal, so they mutually agreed to cease production, even though Garfield and Friends had still been doing very well in the ratings.

Also one thing about the rap in the final season is that its clips used stuff from the specials and not just Garfield and Friends (there's stuff from Garfield in Paradise and Garfield's Feline Fantasies). I'm not sure why but I remembered that since Garfield and Friends used to run for an hour, by the final season they split the show to be a half hour of Garfield and Friends and the other half one of the Garfield specials, so that might be why.

ah yes. clear influence on Simon's Cat.
Nermal was the first trap most of us came across.. followed by Zoicite.

SPLUT!!

it's funny because the show kept using 'friends are there' as a leitmotif and incidental music.. for a long time I was like what is this song? it sounds too well planned out to have no lyrics
in retrospect it followed a similar format to the golden girls theme, and its corresponding intro music that came afterwards, when the show started properly.

There's an episode where Garfield gets bothered by a clown and he legit says to the camera that people like that deserve to be put up against the wall and shot.

wait a second
if they wanted to cut costs, why spend money on a new intro (albeit a cheap shitty one) when the old one does just fine?

I have no disagreements with this list

>it's a "jon sexually assaults liz" strip

They were just Raviolos with Garfield licensed on the side. I think they still make them, but Campbell's bought Franco-American, so it might taste different now.

this weirdly reminds me of Mission Hill

wait, you mean ravioli-os?

Just imagine if they'd kept the original voice for him.

youtube.com/watch?v=_gWfgV4NaS0

First time I have seen this episode. It was fucking amazing.

hahahaha that's not bad.
what the fuck is with that olive jar

Jim Davis is actually pretty competent as far as humour goes, the Garfield strips actually tended to be fucking funny on occasion when he was writing.

Also, he fought tooth and nail to get US Acres into that show.

I recall Garfield & Friends being pretty okay, but I really haven't seen it since I was a kid. The only thing I remember is that Garfield had this really cynical voice, like he couldn't give a shit about anything and even talking to us was a bother, and he was rather just sleeping off instead. Which suited him perfectly.

yeah the humor of the show was very much along jim davis' lines, in the same way the humor in Daria was very Mike Judge even though he wasn't involved

it's just that.. doing a comic strip every fucking day means it can't always be your A material, and being 80 years old means you can't be actually doing it yourself.. just like how mel blanc didn't really do every looney tunes voice, he just had it in his contract to be the only one credited (in exchange for getting paid less, so they could afford him. it was win-win)

>being 80 years old means you can't be actually doing it yourself

Um, what? I think you got the wrong Jim Davis there. Garfields author was 50 when he did Garfield & Friends, and he is 72 currently.

And he is obviously not doing them anymore, IIRC he gave up writing Garfield in the mid-late 90s and it has been outsourced since, he just has his signature on the strips now. I don't know if the strips even need his OK to be allowed, or if he needs to check all the released material before allowing his signature on them.