Explain

Other urls found in this thread:

anime.stackexchange.com/questions/2422/in-neon-genesis-evangelion-why-are-angels-attacking
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how much time you got

Nuff said

In a vacuum or in context with the 26 episodes of the anime?

We could get into the intricacies of the manga and rebuilds if you really wanted to.

Reminder the rise of Sup Forumsedditors coming over to Sup Forums as a result of Bane memes has led to a shift in taste on Sup Forums

99% of the anime threads here are made by Sup Forumsedditors who only watch LE EPIC MANIME shonen trash and are too scared to post on Sup Forums because no one wants to talk about the same 5 old classic anime that only entry level newfaggots know about. Then they cry about Sup Forums having shit taste and proceed to buy their next avengers movie ticket.

Sup Forums has actually done a fantastic job at keeping out you Sup Forumseddit scum and so all you faggots come crying here because no one wanted to accommodate your newfaggotry.

Also you all treat Sup Forums as a place to ask for recommendations when was made to deal with garbage threads like these that aren't actually discussing anything.

the artist thought it would look cool as fuck, and it was a major success because it looked cool as fuck my nigga... what more u need to know my nigga

Come on the ending could be explained in a single paragraph. It's not that complicated.

sad kid's crippling emotional insecurities prevent him from forming deep connections with the people around him, then he goes into the cosmic womb and gets better but not totally

absolutely no substance

>life sucks
>people suck and are all pedophiles, no exceptions
>big space aliens suck
>what you thought were unconscious machines actually turn out to be captured souls whose lives suck
>but you should participate anyway because, like, I dunno
>only solution is to turn into space goo but that's also depressing
If I recall correctly no one commits suicide despite the fact that it is objectively the best course of action in such a world where literally everything is terrible.

It's weird to me how iconic this ending turned out to be despite being so shit. Even the wildly inappropriate and bizarre Komm Susser Tod song became classic in the end.

>People are lonely
>secret cabal seeks to unite all souls with orange tang
>Shinji realizes that even though floating in a sea of souls is nice, his old life separated from other people was nice too(albeit difficult at times)
>He rejects this unification and gives others a choice to stay or leave

Because Komm Susser Tod is an incredible song user, completely removed from his role in the movie

if something sticks with you and evokes emotions that means it worked

the juxtaposition of song and tone is anything new either cmon

Start with the greeks

You sound like you've invested a lot of time and effort into this board. A part of a website. A website that you visit, using the Internet. The Internet that one usually has access to, with a computer or mobile device. A computer or mobile device one spends time looking at.

asuka's mom hangs herself. also it's not shown but im pretty sure asuka slits her wrists before nerve finds her chillin in that bathtub in that abandoned house.

Blue Pill: Evangelion is about biomechanical monsters being piloted by children to prevent the apocalypse.

Red Pill: Evangelion is about empathy and allowing yourself to be hurt for the sake of connecting to other people.

its pasta nigger

wew Sup Forumsedditors have better taste than Sup Forums
where did it all go wrong?

>Evangelion is about empathy and allowing yourself to be hurt for the sake of connecting to other people.
Yeah except when the characters do this they don't seem to gain anything more than slightly positive or useful out of it and they end up hurting more. They don't really do a good job of incentivizing the viewer into believing its moral.

Degeneracy. Avoid it

Where the hell does morality come into it? Eva posits that establishing relationships with other people is part of the human condition and shutting yourself off from others is denying your own humanity.

I meant the moral of the story. They never really make establishing relationships seem anything approaching worth it in terms of cost/benefit or anything, really, so I wasn't left believing the show's message. Maybe humanity, given the setting of the show, should be denied because obviously it's not that great in the EVA world.

Eva isn't terribly subtle with its message. The show freely acknowledges that becoming close with others is a recipe for getting hurt. But like Shinji said in EoE, "At least I know that pain is real." It's better to embrace humanity and risk being hurt than spend your life shutting yourself off and running away from your problems.

Or maybe you'd rather be like Shinji's mother, trapped in Unit 01 in the endless void of space for all eternity.

is it really a redpill if the characters look into the camera and explain this at multiple points

Black Pill: Evangelion is about how otaku are scum. They will never escape their own inadequacy no matter what fantastical scenario or how far they retreat into their own dream world.

It's shit and the only reason it's good is because it is severely westernized. Check out how much of the western cannon it references to get a good idea. Just proves that asians have a shit culture and tradition to draw from.

>t's better to embrace humanity and risk being hurt than spend your life shutting yourself off and running away from your problems.
I know that this is the premise but they never provide a sufficient answer to why it is that this is what they believe.
If
>"At least I know that pain is real."
Is there justification, that's just another appeal to emotions that the show relies on. There are things that are real other than pain, so it's a silly statement. I don't think that suffering should be put on a pedestal like that, it's a luxury that only people who aren't in extremely intense pain can afford.

And yeah I would rather retreat from the entire scenario by whatever means necessary than strive only to be rewarded with pain for it. And I'm not enough of an idiot to mental gymnast myself into using some platitude on myself like "pain is real" in order to justify an existentially terrible situation.

its a deconstruction of 80s mecha anime because retarded otaku kept bringing up realism

anno said "oh you want realism?" and made the most realistic possible portrayal of "what coulve happen if aliens attacked and teenagers were to pilot giant robots to defend the planet"

he also used elements of abrahamic mythology to because they sounded cool.

dont hope to understand it unless you watched 70s-80s anime

>evangelion doesn't appeal to life cowards

Huh. Good to know I guess.

the value of close and emotionally intimate relationships is self-evident to anyone who isn't actively deluding themselves

Oh that's my favorite kind of response. Reminds me of when a group of kids tries to get another kid to perform some ridiculous and dangerous dare by calling him chicken.

EVA really did not make it seem that way. And plenty of other anime do.

Never understood this image. It's just a big list of mostly good to great anime that's relatively mainstream. Why would someone bend over backwards with autism to get upset about this?

I'm going to venture a guess and say that it's the kind of anime that people who don't really watch anime would watch, because they're good, they appeal to western sensibilities and you don't have to be a part of the subcultures to understand/like them. I'm one of those people and I've watched basically everything on that list and only a small amount of other anime.

because the focus of the show is on people who's emotional baggage is preventing them from forming those kind of connections, and how they suffer for it. you don't need a cutaway scene of some friends hanging you to remind the audience 'hey this is good'

and the show also posits that this emotional baggage is permanent and inevitable, so instead of trying to work past it you should endure it perpetually because "pain is good", and they subtly suggest that this eternal failure to connect is preferable to dissolving into a giant group spirit hug goo for... reasons? The relationships in EVA frankly don't seem very rewarding.

>instead of trying to work past it
>endure it perpetually
you're really projecting a lot onto the work that just isn't in it. the fear and pain that grips the central cast is always shown as transitional and a symptom of their stunted growth (misato living in college squalor as a 29y/o adult, asuka & shinji's fixation on a moment from their early childhood, ect)

i mean c'mon the show is filled to the brim with literal and figurative wombs that shinji tries to hide in, and the tv series ends with him saying goodbye to his mother. it's trying to hide in the safety of the figurative mother that's hurting them.

>the show also posits that this emotional baggage is permanent and inevitable

Yes

>so instead of trying to work past it you should endure it perpetually because "pain is good",

No

You're leaping from "relationships aren't perfect" to "relationships only bring pain".

How do we keep Sup Forums out of Sup Forums?

This meme is transparently false to literally anyone that checks the Sup Forums catalogue.
It's literally designed to scare people from going to Sup Forums.

And when he gets in the robot nothing changes, everything is still terrible, his friends die and he doesn't really even want to be there. If they were trying to prove that "hedgehog syndrome" is a result of immaturity rather than a human inevitability than they should have had at least some of the characters move past it in a meaningful sense. Asuka and shinji looking at the stars or whatever when everyone else is pseudodead doesn't cut it, because that only indicates that because the source of their problems are gone (other people) they can now get along, not that they've matured so that they can get along in spite of what had been happening.

>Graphics aren't edited
Why can't they do autism right?

the robot IS the womb, it's literally his mom!

If emotional baggage is permanent and inevitable then logically moving past it will always be a futile endeavor. So yes, it actually does send the message that you should assume that pain will always be inevitable and endure it perpetually.

Getting in the robot symbolizes facing his problems instead of running away like he threatened to do a couple of times. So what, not getting in the robot is a retreat into safety and so is getting in it? What isn't a womb, then?

Ignore everyone else.

It's just about how Anno hates anime and blames it for ruining his life.

>he also used elements of abrahamic mythology to because they sounded cool.
I like to think it's a bit more than that. I think the religious themes/aesthetics whatever was to make it apparent that NERV and SEELE are fucking with serious cosmological shit that's important and they chosen Abrahamic imagery over any other religion's style because it looked cool.
The religious symbolism isn't totally pointless, being specifically Christian is.

>symbolizes facing his problems
it actually doesn't, you shouldn't take what the character says at face value. pinning his self-worth on his ability to pilot (in so far as much as it get his daddy to pay attention to him) is as unhealthy of a coping mechanism as asuka's approach to piloting and self-image

So you're saying that he should have stuck up for himself and went ahead and done whatever he wanted to do before peer pressure was applied? I agree with this entirely, but this also means rejecting the pain that's being imposed on him instead of glorifying it because only cowards choose not to engage in dangerous and unwanted situations that others try to thrust upon them and he doesn't want to be a coward.

>If emotional baggage is permanent and inevitable then logically moving past it will always be a futile endeavor.

You're off the deep end. Accepting that things aren't perfect isn't dooming yourself to misery, it's accepting life for what it is.

Your refusal to accept Eva's message has way more to do with your personal emotional hangups than any shortcomings the show might have.

I mean that means that the most mature response to the entire series would have been to say "No" on episode one and fuck off to go do whatever it is he wants to do on his own instead of sucking up to and trying to win the affections of others. Which is what I've been saying this entire time. If you can independently evaluate that a situation a) has no inherent value to you, personally and b) will not benefit you despite its lack of value, then there's no reason to engage in it. It isn't really HIS problem that he would be running away from, it's someone else's that's being foisted upon him.

>it's accepting life for what it is.
I understand that, what I'm saying is that the show provides absolutely no valuable reason for why you should.

it's not his only motivator, and they're not mutually exclusive. like, him coming back to fight in ep 19 can still be brave even if mentally he approaches piloting in an unhealthy way. or at least that's how i see it, that the key is in what they're trying to get out of piloting, and less about the net positive of the act itself

Shinji had spent years wishing he could confront his dad. Misato straight-up asks him in episode 1, "Why did you come here?" He didn't have to go to Tokyo-3, he chose to.

Also, I would argue that the annihilation of all mankind IS his problem.

>the show provides absolutely no valuable reason for why you should

Did you skip the middle episodes or something?

just feelings

I wouldn't. When mankind was transformed into the soup and, in a sense, "annihilated", all of his problems seemed to disappear. And if people cause so much misery to each other and tend to be the problem, wouldn't removing them, and thus the problems, be an effective solution?

What did he mean by this?

>mfw this sequence was included in the director's cut
>and Death and Rebirth
>and Eva 2.0

I'm pretty sure I cheered when I saw this scene in 2.0. God bless Anno, that spiteful fucking asshole.

>saving the thumbnail

skip out on all of the problems but also all of the perks, so he chose kraut pusy over tang mom

mankind would've just been destroyed without any tang had all the angels not been stopped

If an angel got to Lilith they would have just exploded like the second impact, right?

anime.stackexchange.com/questions/2422/in-neon-genesis-evangelion-why-are-angels-attacking

Its about the best girl ever

It's an earnest work by a well-meaning creator that is original and very well directed.
It's one of my favourites, and it really does get me emotionally more than other things.

youtube has your back. now back to Sup Forums with you

Which angel was the best? Which was the worst?

>99skb
goddamn make a webm or something please

that’s not misato

>rammiel
>third angel

asuka was a bitch but had a sad backstory
doesnt justify her being a bitch
she isnt the worst but far from the best

I like to call these gateway animes, sadly once you open the gate you find nothing but incel pandering pedo shit so you are best off sticking to these

Start:
Shinji is broken by his multiple traumas, especially having to kill Kaworu.
Asuka is mentally broken and cannot function.
Rei III is still passive but starting to regain memories from Rei's I & II.

Middle:
Shinji is still traumatized, Misato fucks him up even more after the kiss
(Misato believes the only way she can pay people back is through her body)
He realizes that she is a goner after being shot.
Nearly lost cause until Eva Unit 01 (Yui) decides it is time to help initiate third impact.
Her plan is to act as an ark for humanity's souls during the LCLification.
Asuka discovers that her mother's soul is in her Eva, she discovers the meaning of the AT field, and she is liberated from her own anguish and mental suffering (she realizes she can achieve anything in life without anyone's help but she is a child and she must understand that fact). Dies.
Rei III follows Gendo to start Third Impact so he can see Yui again.
Rei disobeys Gendo when she realizes that she is an individual and doesn't owe her existence to Gendo, she goes to help Shinji instead who she hears suffering. Third impact starts.

End:
Shinji is insane, Rei/Kaworu/Lilith/Yui help guide Shinji into a proper mental state of mind to decide where humanity's path should go. (LCL or allow humanity to have a second chance, he of course chooses the latter after realizing he misses those around him even though it can hurt sometimes.)
Asuka's soul interacts with Shinji's during instrumentality. They "become one" (sex). She tells him to more or less stop being a pussy and just accept life for what it is like she did earlier.
Rei does the same shit, has sex/soul unity and lets him decide humanity's future.
Yui helps kill giant Rei, and releases the souls out of Unit 01.
Shinji & Asuka are the first humans to separate (they were the first to become content with themselves).
Rei become a god.

good, you Sup Forums plebs need to stay out of Sup Forums

>no one commits suicide
Asuka's mother and Kaworu

The rest of anime is exploitation and other autistic shit.

Sounds like a story I wrote for my middle school English class

Why does Anno claim he picked a mythological setting foreign to Japanese to make it better?

I read up on Jewish mythology before doing a rewatch this year and it was all so much clearer than before. It's not all random, it all makes sense.

Why did NERV not hire a psychiatrist for Asuka and Shinji?
Is this some Japanese cultural quirk that they don't really have them?

>It's just about how Anno hates anime

>"anno hates his fans" theory
Fuck off

Just what you'd expect from the master, Mr Anno.

>See clips of End of Evangelion on youtube
>Want to watch it
>Can't remember anything that happened in Evangelion that I watched few years back

Fuck

Misato is not a girl

Just rewatch it user. The show.is.good anyway

eh, I've often wondered that. best answer I ever came up with was of the licensed pdocs available after the 2nd Impact even the crap ones stuck hard to their Hippocratic Oath and would only make trouble demanding both the kids be grounded

Even if she were she'd still not be best girl.

>over analysing a kids cartoon

>best answer I ever came up with was of the licensed pdocs available after the 2nd Impact even the crap ones stuck hard to their Hippocratic Oath and would only make trouble demanding both the kids be grounded
That's retarded

no, no it is not. it's precisely because of such potential complications that the master, mr anno, decided to dodge the issue altogether

all is explained

>teh rei
Wow, what a useful infographic
Skipping the most confusing character altogether

>I'm going to venture a guess and say that it's the kind of anime that people who don't really watch anime would watch
desu there isn't a lot of good anime beyond that list. Japan is a small place, we're lucky if we get a good anime per year, if that. 99.8% of the stuff Sup Forums talks about is shit. You have to be a NEET with no life and no other hobby to get to that level.

It keeps out the casuals but at what cost.

> don't hope to understand it unless you watched 70-80's anime
wat
you literally explained all there is to understand about the relationship between Evangelion and 80's anime.
Why would you need to watch Gundam or anything else to understand it ?
It's enough to know that Eva is a subversion of the usual mecha setting (teenagers in robots saving the world), you can always watch MS Gundam after.

>and then nobody leaves because only bitter virgins think like shinji

> Watch Evangelion
> doesn't watch End of Evangelion
Why is there always a braindead idiot like you on these fucking threads ?