Remind me why they thought getting a voice actress who sounds like she's in her 30's to voice a teenager was a good idea

Remind me why they thought getting a voice actress who sounds like she's in her 30's to voice a teenager was a good idea

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hBmimrLcSv0
tvinsider.com/2094/watch-my-show-star-vs-the-forces-of-evil-creator-on-her-groundbreaking-disney-xd-cartoon/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Eden's voice acting is perfect

She's actually in her 20s

she sounds like a 40 year old woman. if star is supposed to be a western magical girl show i think they missed the memo about cutesy voice acting.

Who says she's supposed to sound cutesy? She's also supposed to be weird and the show has heavy coming-of-age things-- both of which a lower voice works well to convey.

The voice being low makes her sound like an actual teenager (it'd be easy to think she was like 10 with a higher voice because of the art style), and could get annoying if it was higher or screechy. High-schoolers generally don't sound like animu characters in real life.

Also even if they'd gotten someone Star's age to voice her for the early episodes, by now she'd be an adult and her voice could've changed a bit anyway. Or would you prefer if she was just Tara Strong?

why would a post pubescent teen girl sound different than a 20 year old?

Grow up, OP.

Because 14 year olds don't usually sound the same as 25 year olds, and even the 25 year old who voices her sounds older than she is.

Not either of the guys you responded to, but every time I hear Star I hear Eden Sher, not Star. I'm not sure exactly why that is, but I think it's because Star's voice doesn't QUITE fit the character design. But I don't hold it against the show because I love Eden

....I'm really not understanding how anyone thinks she sounds like an old woman. I've met plenty of teenage girls who sound exactly like Star, where as I've never met a single girl over the age of 30 who sounds like her.

I can't imagine Star having a high pitched 'cutesy' voice. Her current voice is already god-tier and you need to stop basing your standards on those chinese cartoons you like so much

Have you seen her in other things? Might make it harder to associate the voice with the character that way.

Though I don't really think expecting a character to sound a certain way because of their appearance always works for human characters. If she sounded like an actual man or a 5-year-old, that'd obviously be wrong.

But if someone thinks she sounds "cringy" or like an anime fan trying to be cute... why couldn't she look that way but also sound like that? To me using a primarily live-action actress makes her sound much more realistic than a character like her easily could.

Might just be me though. If I thought the acting was shit maybe I'd also be complaining about the sound of the voice, but it's not and so I can buy it as how she sounds.

tl;dr i like eden sher

>you need to stop basing your standards on those chinese cartoons you like so much

Fucking this. East asian girls have absurdly high-pitched voices compared to virtually any other race in the world.

>Because 14 year olds don't usually sound the same as 25 year olds

I think you're confusing 14 year olds with 11 year olds.

youtube.com/watch?v=hBmimrLcSv0

You know, that always bothered me about her. She sounded like a grown woman rather than a teen. Not even a young woman. I can't help but see Star as a womanchild because of it. Still a fun show but her voice doesn't fit.

Yeah, i can't believe they put a 50 year old woman that sounds like a 60 year old woman to play a teenager, what were they thinking?

Not the same user, but I imagine Star's voice would sound like...I don't know, the girls in As Told By Ginger, Braceface, or other girls in TV shows. Star sounds old.

>As Told By Ginger

I always felt the girls sounded too young in that show

This is why Japanese Star is infinitely superior.

lmao no English version is best version, anime Star sounds horrible

Cash me ousside, howbow dah?

Cuz you have shit taste and don't get out much.

I kinda like how they went for a more realistic and less over the top approach to how the voice of a girl her age should sound.

I think going for a super peppy, cutesy high pitched voice would have made a lot of her lines a lot less funny.

I tried watching this for the first time tonight.

Is there a draw with this chick? My god.

>not enjoying the hell out of a MILF-aged magical girl

lol its really cute

I thought that too, but it grows on you.

The draw is her relationship with Marco, not necessarily their ship, but how much they bounce off each other, complementing their personalities. It is not until the second season where I came to like her and Marco individually.

Why do I have a feeling OP isn't American?

You solved the riddle of this thread

>East asian girls have absurdly high-pitched voices compared to virtually any other race in the world.
bzzt rong

Japan just fetishizes youth to a level beyond even the most blatant lolishit pandering Americans will ever do.

Americans will sexualize fifteen year old girls, Japan sexualizes eleven year olds.

Listen to some native speakers outside of your weeb shows

Voice definitely had to grow on me

What an embarrassing post.

ITT:
>what is puberty
>what are cultural differences
i.e. just the usual Sup Forums stuff, move along, nothing to see here

How do grown men watch this shit?

How do you not? Because you have ''better'' taste in entertainment? Too bad you're missing out.

How do grown men watch almost anything on Sup Forums?

Well we can't watch the stereotypical shit people expect us to watch just because ''we're grown men''.

I did actually watch a bunch of eps at one point to see what the fuss was all about and it was still fairly new at that point. It was completely juvenile without anything like the visuals, direction, or whatever to salvage that. What am I missing now?

How many episodes did you watch exactly, because the show really picked off later on in season 1 and season 2 being much better than season 1.

At first I really didn't like her voice and even with current episodes when Star gets a bit too low tone wise she does sound way too old BUT I actually like the choice in the long run.

She's got good pitch, she can make Star sound sad, happy and best of all SUPER excited which is essentially most of her character.

I guess the first half of S1.

Do you remember the plot or whatever of the last episode(s) you watched?

Because it's pretty commonly agreed the show gets much better just past the halfway point of 1.

Some execs left and others on the crew got more creative control, plot started happening, etc.

It's a slice of life cartoon that then develops into a more plot driven story but it really doesn't pick up until Toffee shows. If you haven't watched at least until the end of season 1 (hell start halfway through the season, you're not missing much) then yeah it's just slice of life.

The first season especially the first half is meant to be sillier, kind of directionless, but the character development later on just makes you want to watch the show more.

>Because you have ''better'' taste in entertainment?

Yes, exactly

Why you have problem with me name?

hi Star!

>you need to stop basing your standards on those chinese cartoons you like so much

But the entire show is based on those chinese cartoons

Sailor Moon's definitely an influence, but it's not the only one.

A lot of the influences on the series that Nefcy listed were western.

False, I bet you watch gore anime and think it's the best form of entertainment

>I created Star in my 3rd year of college – the original concept of it. And of course it’s changed and morphed over time, but she’s always been who she is. And I was obsessed with Sailor Moon when I was a kid, I really didn’t want anything more than to be a magical Sailor Moon-type character, and I kept thinking I would come home and my cat would start talking – I really convinced myself of this. So Star’s original character was this girl who wanted to be Sailor Moon, and the Marco character was obsessed with Dragon Ball Z, and they were going to be enemies. I had come up with this whole show where Star didn’t really have magical powers but she would make things happen by her will of just WANTING them to happen.

Then she goes on to list Utena and Rayearth as her two other inspirations. I don't know where you're getting these western influences from. It's very clearly mainly inspired by anime and the magical girl genre.

From here:

>Give us an equation for your show.
>Sailor Moon plus Scott Pilgrim plus Harry Potter times lots of super cool French comics, plus Game of Thrones (minus the nudity, of course), plus every 80's cartoon I ever loved, divided by my childhood.

tvinsider.com/2094/watch-my-show-star-vs-the-forces-of-evil-creator-on-her-groundbreaking-disney-xd-cartoon/

Anime played a role but so did a bunch of other "non-high-pitched voice for every female character" stuff.

It literally sounds like she doesn't know what inspired her at this point she just wanted to make a magical girl show with her OCs. Not even being flippant just sounds like she has no direction whatsoever.

I'd say the most recent season showed she has a pretty obvious direction for it.

I can actually definitely see the influences of those things (at least the ones I'm familiar with). One not mentioned in this interview, but that she's said she likes and is reflected in the show, is His Dark Materials.

The influences of what? She's mentioned 8+ separate things as her influences.

Uhmm isn't every form of original content the creator wanting their OC and their idea to be real? She was inspired by a lot of things and she made what she wanted, you don't have to be heartbroken because she didn't take influence from just anime.

Because children and teens can't actually voice act for shit so I'd rather have someone experienced who knows how to do the job at the price of her slightly not fitting

>Sailor Moon
Magical girl, space theme, other world, magic wand
>Scott Pilgrim
General artstyle
>Harry Potter
Most recent season focused a lot on moving beyond named/voiced spells, learning them through spellbooks and how to use a wand, etc.
>Game of Thrones
Most recent season seems to imply mounting war against the kingdom, basically political plots/intrigue
>'80s cartoons
I'm guessing sort of girl-power/fantasy world stuff. Nefcy liked Rainbow Brite, maybe also things like Jem, original My Little Pony, etc.
>His Dark Materials
Dimensional scissors seem obviously inspired by the subtle knife. The wand changes to reflect its holder, similar to daemons.

Now whether you think these influences work well or not is an entirely separate thing, but I can see them. She's also not claiming the show is exactly like any one of them-- just that bits and pieces of all of them have made the show what it is.

Exactly, there are barely any actual teenage voice actors who are good at voice acting.

This, I can't think of any at all, there's also the fact a lot of MALE teenaged or child characters are voiced by adult women, though mostly official english anime dubs come to my mind

No, the point is that she doesn't seem to have a solid foundation or grasp of what actually influenced her to create the show. It seems to boil down to "everything" she's been interested in to the extent where any individual influence is incredibly marginalized.. Do you think its common that artists cite 10 separate influences for a singular piece of work? No, it isn't. It has nothing to do with the quality of her work, it just seems that she doesn't realize where her idea truly came from more than anything.

>It seems to boil down to "everything" she's been interested in to the extent where any individual influence is incredibly marginalized..

That's actually a good thing. It's not "American Sailor Moon" or "western anime" and it isn't trying to be.

>Do you think its common that artists cite 10 separate influences for a singular piece of work?
Actually yes. I think both being inspired by one things and many things are common because no two creation processes are exactly alike

>It has nothing to do with the quality of her work, it just seems that she doesn't realize where her idea truly came from more than anything.
Most simple way to put is that she's said she wanted to create the cartoon she always wanted to see on TV but never did.

>if star is supposed to be a western magical girl show i think they missed the memo about cutesy voice acting.

Western VAs basically can't do cutesy nip style voices. The closest we have to that is Kristen Schaal and her voice isn't right for the character.

DOESNT PASS BECHDEL TEST. EPIC FAILED

I would agree if her having so many influences made the show confusing or would hurt the show because she would want to put in so many things from different shows in it, but it doesn't, the show is balanced enough with it's setting and the information it gives and the story it tells, so in the end it doesn't really matter how many things she was influenced by.

What? A story idea can definitely be inspired by bits and pieces of several shows/books. That doesnt mean the influences are blatantly pasted on the screen

Janna has literally the best voice
she is CUTE and PERFECT

Where was that ever implied that couldn't be the case? The point of the post was that if an artist cites an innumerable amount of influences then chances are they don't really know what influenced them in the first place. The creator of a children's cartoon is not exactly some exalted being as far as narrative storytelling goes.

Come into my special rooms

Why is Star such a slut?

I listed how those influences seem to be reflected in the show. If she can name them and I can see them, then there's probably something there.

Just seems like you have an issue with it not being entirely based off anime

This may be extremely un-PC to say, and this isn't Sup Forums, but here goes: one of the major reasons so many guys go for Asian girls is because they're so much more feminine on average, and the voices are a huge part of that. Western, and especially English-speaking, female voices tend to be coarse and rough, and then you add the now-common vocal fry on top.

this
/thread

>one of the major reasons so many guys go for Asian girls is because they're perceived to be less intimidating by betas, even though if these guys hooked up with even the meekest oriental, they'd be pussywhiped in no time

>She likes pink, and fights the patriarchy.

My favorite japanese VAs have fairly deep voices though.

Thats good

Who dare she, eating popcorn with another totally not OC.

Feminine = actually willing to have and raise kids rather than work a "career" and fuck Abdul

WELL FROM MY POINT OF VIEW IT'S THE MEWNIANS THAT'S EVIL

Nobody's arguing with you, user. Stay triggered.

JANNA IS EVIL

Obligatory.

It annoyed me at first but it grew on me and now I adore it. Her laugh can be a little brash sometimes but the fact that it's a little brash is also kinda cute

>you will never make star laugh

Nah, that was spot on. When was the last time you talked to a 14 year old? There's a squeaky tone in their voice. I think some people think teenagers sound like adults because they barely conversed with teens once they grew up.

She sounds like a teenager and speaks in the manner of one. Star's voice actress was picked because the creator didn't want her voice to sound too princess like.

They picked Eden because she didn't sound cutesy.

It has it's moments and grew on me, honestly through I mostly just like the art (so I can make stuff like this webm) & thought Star was a bit to autistic.

The way I see it, it's okay for any man of any age to watch whatever the fuck they want as long as they don't let it become an unhealthy obsession.

It makes you feel good inside. That's a good thing. Especially when basically every other hyper popular TV show like TWD and GOT is actively trying to make you commit suicide.

This would all make sense if I didn't have an unhealthy obsession with Star

Friendly reminder Star and Marco are cute and perfect together!

You are correct

everyone in Sup Forums is over 30 years old unmarried men, user

Over 20, maybe.

>(Fandub)

oh, it's an Sup Forumsutist who got lost again. never mind.

>*goes back to watching Naruto*

>Hey user, I've got pregnant with an unwanted baby! Please take me to the hospital for this thing called 'abortion'!