Is Possession, dare I say, a lovecraftian movie?

Is Possession, dare I say, a lovecraftian movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aY6ID19KCVY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

kind of, yeah

wtf was that gooey shit supposed to be, anyway?

hot

our lives are a Lovecraftian movie, we just don't know it yet

Looks like her brains pouring our her ears, nice ass effect too.

Yeah, kinda does

sort of, but i'd argue that john carpenter made the only 2 true 'lovecraftian' cosmic horror films

i love hellraiser, event horizon etc to death but only mouth of madness and cigarette burns take things 1 step further. would love for someone to challenge me on this though

its wetwet

she had a miscarriage in the subway and the baby was not human

It was Banecraftian brapkino

every close-up in this movie was pure sex

Kafkaesque more like.

wet

why were they watching him?

wetwet are you really a flip

Who were the men in the pink socks supposed to be?

Its always (((Them))) of course.

What is it about this movie that makes every shot look so pretty? Especially for 1981. Did they use some kind of special camera / lenses / aperture settings / color grading techniques or something?

someone explain this film to me, ive seen it twice and still have no clue

I'M ACTING!

This is how I interpreted it (from a literal perspective / without resorting to "it's probably a metaphor for divorce ¯\(°_o)/¯")
>takes place in West Berlin during the cold war
>Sam Niell is a cuck named Mark who spends months at a time away from his beautiful wife, Anna, doing work for the Jewish Illuminati ("Pink Socks").
>She is adulterous in his absence; this seems to be what sparks the events of the rest of the film.
>She feels the presence of some kind of being while he is gone and she becomes obsessed it and bringing it into reality.
>She uses another apartment to secretly nurture and grow the monster's physical form, which - when complete - ends up looking like a doppleganger of Mark.
>There is a good / pure doppleganger of Anna in the form of their son's teacher Helen. I can't explain this part.
>Mark wants Anna to come to her senses, but is hypnotized himself once he finally sees the monster with his own eyes, and becomes obsessed with making it "complete" just like his wife.
>The Pink Socks and the authorities that they control know, but they only care about if they can make money off it / whether it supports their agenda
>He's the antichrist and the harbinger of a Nuclear war?

that acting is good though. Except for the slap, that looked fake

No idea, probably down to the DP or the film stock. European films of that era do tend to be quite visually appealing, a lot of tracking shots and steadicam.

Pretty sure it's the lenses you're referring to. They make the depth of field very shallow and so the camera focus has to be very precisely controlled during every scene. In many of the close ups, the depth of field is so shallow that only one part of the actor's face is 100% in focus, with the other parts having softer / blurrier edges It looks especially good with the film grain

because he's a spy

I gave an introduction of this film for a small movie theater.

Zulawski made the movie after a devastating divorce. His last project was really expensive and eventually banned by the Polish censorship so he was basically bankrupt. He was living in exile in Paris. Possession is an expression of his desperation.

You can't separate the film from the political context of the cold war. His personal apocalypse and the sense of doom of a nuclear war collide in the story.

In an intimate relationship there's always an element you can't control. Something that is hidden, something that escapes your understanding. Of course this element keeps things interesting and vital. It represents erotic potential, but it is also dangerous.
The title 'Possession' refers to the the inclination of trying to possess this element and with that denying a transcendent dimension.

This is a parallel with the philosophical and political context of the 20th century. With the death of God the transcendent was denied, and salvation became a political project. Nazism, Communism and Liberalism al use a utopian vision that has to be realized by political means. They are all eschatological, and in these efforts millions died. The immanentization of the eschaton gave birth to a monster that brings about the apocalypse.

The monster of Possession was born out of a scream. Anna is sitting under the cross: a limited body in an impossible position, transcended. In the scream she screams, like she's trying to evacuate her body. She's locked in the immanent, so she gave birth to this abject monster to make love with. It's both her infant and her lover.

>you're not a man, mark, you're a woman!
what did he mean by this?

was it rape? if you close your eyes this sounded exactly like sex. not that I'm an expert

I fapped 3 times when watching this move for the first time

Residue and From Beyond.

you are autistic

it's just a movie about a woman being possessed by her base, sexual instincts and the destruction it brings to her and her family

you are autistic

it's just a movie about a woman being possessed by a demon

Sure, but you can't deny the historical context. Zulawski did relate it to the cold war himself.

The question is: what is the nature of the demon? Why does he bring about a nuclear apocalypse?

I don't know, I haven't seen the movie

Go watch it!

>sitting under a crucifix
>a limited body in an impossible position
how?

I mean Jesus on the cross. It is reflected in the ballet scene as well. Her body is torn apart to be some kind of ideal
Deleuze wrote a book about the paintings of Francis Bacon, who contrasts the cross and the scream. The limited carnal form, and a desire to transcend.

>I'm acting!

how is being seated under a cross an impossible position?

being nailed to the cross is an impossible position

>what is the nature of the demon? Why does he bring about a nuclear apocalypse?

the demon is just human nature in its pure form, without culture and society's rules

its destructive and brings everything back to its primitive state, hence Anna's degeneration and eventually end of civilization if it spreads

it's a simple movie

why was he so eager to ram his car into the police? seemed pretty happy about it, too.

there are way too many niggers in mine to be a lovecraftian movie, unfortunately

falling of the chair :DDD

Ghostbusters is one of the most lovecraftian films ever.

No, it isn't. You think crucifixions were impossible?

That just means your life is the most terrifying lovecraftian movie.

Aren't the Fast and Furious movies lovecraftian kino too ?

the "jesus-scene"

prime isabelle adjani was out of this world
youtu.be/aY6ID19KCVY

Not a bad idea, thanks, user.

Yes. Go on, try it.

What do you make of Heinrich?