Best movie of the year is not even a movie

>best movie of the year is not even a movie

How fucking snob and French must you be to come up with this shit?

cahiersducinema.com/produit/top-10-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=juiJLAfqt7k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It is a film

Lynch himself said it's an 18-hour film, and in a way, he's right.

It's cahiers du cinema still a thing? Without Truffaut, Bazin or Godard it seems irrelevant really.

>TPTR is not a movie
>Lynch– a director whose oevure almost entirely consists of films–literally calls it an 18-part movie
It's only a TV show in that it had an episodic format, it certainly doesn't feel or look anything like a tv show. Lynch is infamous for stretching boundaries and definitions, and The Return is a clear case of him showing just what can be done in Film within the constraints of television

oh ok if Lynch said it

fuck actual logic

>what can be done in Film within the constraints of television

So, not a film?

I can that he experimented, he can experiment all he wants. But he did so with television. TP the original was freaking television. No two ways about it.

If he truly desired this to be billed as a movie, he should have released it in theaters like a sort of monster double-Satantango or the way van Trier chopped Nymphomaniac in two.

No need to call an apple an orange just because a crazy farmer is "experimenting" with apples calling them oranges.

>all those American movies that came out last year
dumb frogs

>4 - Get Out

Original was TV, return was film

This is more insulting desu.

Split was fucking dope

It is a film. It was filmed without any consideration for how each episode would be split up, that came later. The episode aren't self-contained like in the original series, where each would have its own cliffhanger, its more about the development of narrative threads over a much wider canvas. In one interview he describes how the real innovations in film are currently coming from television shows because they have a much greater scope to work with, and an episodic format allows you to create a long-running film which isn't a test of endurance because its broken up into more easily digestible parts.

>I'm on 4chin, so "muh blak critically-acclaimed intelligent and conscious movi" being rightfully on year-end lists must be insulting

French fag here.
The Cahier du Cinema is the worst magazine on Films ver created in France. Try the ''Sens Critique'' website instead.
The movies thoses idiots critics are seen as shit films here. We largely prefer any big budget film or popular films.

>TP the original was freaking television
see my other post , the return is clearly a whole other beast compared to the original series. Also to say he only experimented with television OR film is to miss the fact that he's essentially working with both, creating cinematic content through an episodic format.

Yeah this seems like the thinking man's website

The Young Pope had a similar structure and noone would call it a film, it was released episodically with each episode having an opening song and end credits with different performances each time, it was released on television over the span of 17 weeks, saying that it does not feel like a tv show makes no sense because even Breaking Bad doesen't feel like a tv show when you compare it to stuff like ER or law and order

>We largely prefer any big budget film or popular films.
The general audience in any country are mongs but you're actually proud to be one.

>It is a film
>Has literally never aired theatrically in it's entirety
>Has only had two theatrical screenings of the first two episodes

Fuck off, Game of Thrones is more of a film than that

Can I be a film?

>Jeannette: The Childhood of Joan of Arc
Soy Boy detected

>intelligent and conscious movi
I'm a pretty liberal european and Get Out was a gorrible movie and not for political reason.
What's the point if you victim know some creepy shit is going on? It's just retarded

But TYP was filmed with the intention of being a TV show. Lynch just filmed hours and hours of footage with no idea how it would be distilled into an episodic format, which would also explain why there isn't a definitive sense of linear progression from episode to episode, which is what we generally expect of a television programme

>What's the point if you victim know some creepy shit is going on?

care to reprhase that?

Ah, he's shooting series then.

I don't believe that shit for a second considering that in episode 2 we already get a hint of when Cooper will regain his sanity (the numbers on the ports are 3 and 15, dougie is introduced in episode 3 and gets electrocuted in episode 15), Lynch has always tried to mislead his audience, plus a lot of scenes were clearly shot to lead into the ending performances or to tie into them so there are at least a bunch of scenes which were clearly shot while already knowing where they would be placed in each episode
I bet Lynch just said that to trick people into thinking that the continuity errors were accidental instead of intentional

>tfw Hershlag is kino
:3

Lynch said he goes through the writing process as if it were an 18 hour film, key distinction.

Given that 1 episode=1 hour I think its more likely that Lynch knew structurally at what point Dougie would enter the picture and when Cooper would return, it doesn't mean he knew how everything in between would be arranged. Obviously he knew that certain elements would have to occur at specific moments, but I'm not saying he didn't have any idea of how the narrative would progress. I'm just saying that Lynch probably filmed the material much in the same way as he did with Inland Empire, lots of little vignettes with an unclear continuity between parts. Watch youtube.com/watch?v=juiJLAfqt7k from around 1:54, she makes a good point about the way many of the early scenes feel disconnected from one another ( a criticism that could apply to even the later episodes too) and compares that to the episodic structure of the original series.

>no capeshit

on an american list you'd see at least 3 capeshit films

Sens critique is horrible and full of insufferable autistic faggot. Definitely the worst