Why are Studio Ghibli films revered but other equally stirring animu films and shows are looked down on as children's...

Why are Studio Ghibli films revered but other equally stirring animu films and shows are looked down on as children's cartoons?

Because stuff like Meso Forte is specifically made for children.

Anime was a mistake

Same reason adults will admit to watching Pixar films instead of being ashamed like they should be.

I don't know, most people are retarded. Have you tried watching almost any TV show?

I have that imagine downloaded to my computer too.

Because most people (Sup Forums included) base their taste on what's generally acceptable in their social circle

Honestly, I think it's a combination of high quality animation and visual design as well as simple but entertaining storytelling.

Kiki's Delivery Service is a good example of what I mean. The design of the town is visually stunning as well as the quality of animation for the aerial shots/flight sequences. The most important scene in the story (saving the kid stuck on the clock tower) doesn't involve really anything objectionable or scary but you still find yourself holding your breath.

Furthermore, the overall themes of his movies are easy to grasp and universal. In Kiki's, the major theme is maturing and developing into your own person.

/endblog

this is why, OP

Momentum, pretty much.

Cheap animation coupled with toy tie-ins in the 70's and 80's and the growth of cartoon-dedicated cable channels like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network in the 90's cemented cartoons as a medium for children.

Early Mickey Mouse shorts played before all manner of films during the silent film era. Snow White grossed over $1.6 billion in today's currency.

Somehow CGI was able to shift itself away from that stigma (mostly on the back of Pixar) despite the fact that the content had not necessarily become any less kid-friendly. Anime is drawn and also comes with its own set of cultural stigmas (weebs).

The same reason foreign films never make it that big- the Film Industry is all American and Americans hate reading.

I wish Satoshi Kon was still alive.

is it true that amerigoblins won't watch films with subs?

Shut up bitch hentai is revered in hollywood
Lurk more

what's the most kino anime?

I watch movies with subs because I'm autistic about original meaning and hate dubtitles, so I'll almost always choose sub

On the other hand, it does detract from the image in screen and aspects like where you should be looking if the subs are really poorly placed or formatted

Perfect Blue

I'll never understand people who watch dubbed anything

Some anime is better dubbed, hell the creator of Black Lagoon says the English version is the canon version. Nobody in America really likes dubbed live action unless it's part of the charm like old kung fu movies. Japan still likes everything dubbed though.

The Ghibli dubs are generally really good. Also Cowboy Bebop.

Yes. My ex-girlfriend admitted that she literally couldn't read fast enough to catch all the lines and would end up not knowing what was going on. I've heard "I hate reading subtitles" so many times it's depressing. Unclear if they're just lazy or stupid.

They don't watch dubs (don't really exist in the US for live action movies), they just refuse to watch anything with subtitles.

Pisu Hame. Strongly reccomend it to everyone on Sup Forums.
Short but concise series. Both mediums are kino. The animation and manga, and highschool yearbook. Go watch it

I'm kind of meh on the ghibli dubs since they tend to do the Disney thing of just getting big name actors instead of voice actors. Christian Bale is awful as Howl.

>Nobody in America really likes dubbed live action
Do dubs even exist outside of kung fu shit? When was the last time you saw one?

I mean, I get it, I like Mob Psycho's dub a lot, but it's just how the japanese speak I guess.

Kek

Golden Boy

The dub of black lagoon is awful though.

Yeah but Spirited is pretty good and I like the dub for Mononoke even though that wasn't Disney maybe minus Billy bob though

Brotherhood of the Wolf is the last one I remember. I think dubbing is more common in non-english speaking countries. Americans and Canadians as far as I know find it offputting unless used for comedic effect.

>My ex-girlfriend admitted that she literally couldn't read fast enough
I read subs and english isn't even my first language

this.
your gf is sub 100 IQ bro, that's hereditary

So this is why they can’t enjoy kino like LoGH?

She probably just hasn't tried.

LoGH

>can't even read your own language fast enough for subtitles
that's actually depressing

Let them, they're plebs.

I was quoting the other post, redditors.

1 post was agreeing with you and 1 post was responding to your comment.