Hasbro Shared Universe General: Roberts a shit edition

Last thread: Last one was archived but I feel there was more to discuss.

Like the fact that Scott actually managed to write a better storyline than Roberts.

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/exclusive-transformers-rom-crossover-new-character-hasbro/
tfw2005.com/boards/threads/the-official-tf-rid-torrents-episode-downloads-youtube-thread.1035595/page-114#post-14001901
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>No Transformers in the OP

almost miss this if I went ctrl F

It was a mistake for Roberts to start this current season off with a six parter.

I'd rather they first cut back to the Lost Light with Getaway because it's already been a year in the real world since the mutiny's happened.

I think the Functionist arc could have waited till they were in the middle of the season.

so predictions on the way the rest of Lost Light will play out?

>they do a bunch of one off episodes about hipster TV and music
>they get interrupted by a Hasbro toy shilling event that Roberts doesn't want to write so he pump out utter shit
>Lost Light is found dramatically destroyed and everyone killed as a last page shock revelation after two year of "season 3"

>>Lost Light is found dramatically destroyed and everyone killed as a last page shock revelation after two year of "season 3"

This is the thing I fear the most will happen.

I feel the pay-off from the last issue could have been divided between 2, with the previous issue having Windblade activating the Titan, fighting, revealing the Titan as Vigilem. This issue then focues on the fight but with them both fighting for control of the body.

But all in all, it was way more enjoyable.

It also doesn't help that the new artist for MTMTE is just not that good, specially with heads and faces.

Getaway and the rest of his asshole crew find the knights of Cybertron, and are deemed guilty.

Or they have an attack of conscience and go back for Team Rodimus, only to find nothing there, or Deathsaurus' war world.

Why hasn't IDW and/or Roborts toyed with the idea of having two Bluestreaks in universe yet? Early days IDW has shown one for Rodimus' camp and the other for Bumblebee's during the same earth arcs/time period.
If IDW can make Goldbug and Bumblebee two seperate characters why not anyone else. Heck they also made Cerebros seperate from Fort Max so far.

what I want to see with the mutiny.

Have it start off where they're partying at Swerve's bar now run by Bluestreak since he and Swerve were supposedly friends (also meta reference to how Bluestreak was originally written for the role Swerve became)

Probably insert some sitcom parody reference

somebody amongst them wonders if they did the right thing, immediately is disregarded.

maybe then First Aid and the Protectobots with Mirage come back onboard on the ship.

Getaway makes up a bullshit lie about what happened to everything else. Most of them buy it but First Aid is unsure and has suspiscions.

maybe then 2 or 3 issues later we see them again, now getting into some trouble maybe being attacked by the Star Seeker pirates who want to get on board. They start realizing shit most of the heavy hitters and tossed overboard. maybe somebody gets injured or even killed in the fight.

Thunderclash defeats the star seekers with ease but then somebody spills the beans to Thunderclash of what really happened, Thunderclash is pissed, storms off in search for Rodimus and co. maybe a few others hoping to redeem themselves go with him.

Getaway starts to worry and gets more paranoid about securing his position and becomes the monster he tried to fight, that or Atomizer tries to usurp him.

eventually whenever the point Rodimus and co. return after whatever, they see how Getaway has screwed up so much and it's become chaos.

they fight Getaway and his loyal goons and then some of the other mutineers (like Blaster, Bluestreak, Mainframe and Hoist) are now fighting against Getaway.

Getaway escapes the ship and he's cornered and eventually finds himself in the company of Pharma and Star Saber and is killed by them.

also Perceptor knew about the mutiny but chose to say and do nothing as he's busy with with some important. I haven't thought this out yet.

also Tailgate dies because fuck you.

i'm not good at articulating my thoughts but thoughts?

one could have just been Silverstreak.

Yeah, that's would be the easiest explanation right. But both the blue and silver versions have been called Silverstreak on panel.

Fund it

Does Roberts hold part of the blame for Milne's removal from the series ?

Not so much blame for Milne's removal chances are that was going to happen regardless, but the blame for bringing in Lawrence's shit art instead is 100% his fault.

But if Milne isn't going to be available, who else can take over without being total shit anyway

Milne WAS available at the time they were doing the first arc, that's the thing.

As for who it's not like we have a shortage of decent to good comic artist. Roche, Guido, Coller, Matt Frank, Matere, hell even Raiz's shitty RIVETS AND CRACKS AND GRIBBLE EVERYWHERE would look badass for the gritty functionist storyline.

But no we got the Sklanders baby-art for one of the longest awaiter story arcs of MTMTE just so that Roberts could finally give his fanfiction buddy into the big leagues.

Personally, any artist who can do one/all 3 of: their own style, pay homage, base on toys. Blending the art styles together in one book is really the measure I put transformer artists up to

Yeah I'm happy that there are quite a few great artist for transformers

That just baffles me.

The original G1 toy for Buestreak was supposed to be pic related. That's why the artwork for the toy package is silver and his toy in the '84 catalogue is this one and why he's called Bluestreak as a pun because he's blue but his personality is also a chatterbox.

Something got fucked up along the way and the silver/red varian of the Diaclone toy was imported as Bluestreak (not the first and only fuckup and mix up as far as toys go).

Some time later hasbro lost the trademark bluestreak so they tried to retcon him with Silverstreak like how they are now retconinc Trailbreaker as Trailcutter and Slag as Slug. So that's why IDW used Silverstreak as Bluestreak becasue they were supposed to be one and the same, think G1 Jetfire/Skyfire deal.

>retconinc Trailbreaker as Trailcutter and Slag as Slug.

Except both of those were characters openly saying they were changing their names

I wonder if Tall Tankor will be calling himself Octone soon?

So what's the deal with Roberts? I read the first volume of MTMTE a year ago and thought it was surprisingly cool for a Transformers book, but now people don't like him anymore? What happened?

Goes to shit after the 5th volume and never recovers.

Like literal pop cultural referencing meme hipster music dancing sitcom issues shit.

Scott is like a better version of Costa.

She doesn't get the characters, she has an interesting idea here and there that she wastes, and just like how you could tell the entirety of Costa's 30 issues run in like 10 issues you can tell the entire TAAO up until now in like 4 issues, maybe 6.

Her only saving grace is that her dialogue is at least readable, unlike Roberts who overwrites everything to the point of absurdity and Barber who puts you to sleep.

I am a spiteful bastard and I get such perverse sence of joy of the agony of the fandom towards Scott.

Back in 2014 she was seen as the literal Jesus. The first female writer of comic books writing a comic book featuring fembots as main character who are totally gay-lesbian-girlfriends.

Windblade was awaited as the holy grail of comic books that will destroy the patriarchy forever and make transformer comic the best they have ever been. People on tumblr started ordering Windblade #1 in masses buying it multiple times just to make sure that it would become an ongoing.

And then reality kicked in.

And it's beautiful.

Rom vs. Transformers comic announced, with Milne doing art.

cbr.com/exclusive-transformers-rom-crossover-new-character-hasbro/

>BR: One of the best parts about Hasbro’s shared universe at IDW is bouncing these characters off of one another. How did the idea for “Shining Armor” come about for you guys?

>Christos Gage: I was approached after the idea hatched, so I’ll leave this to John!

>John Barber: Well, you were in the writer’s summit when the idea first was floated that Rom had a history with the Transformers. This was back before “Revolution;” we were just getting rolling on the whole idea of the shared universe. Cullen Bunn and I made a couple references in “Revolution” that implied there was more of a history between the characters — though clearly the Autobots in “Revolution” don’t know Rom personally. Over in “Rom,” Christos and Chris have been seeding that idea, too.

>For a while, I’d wanted to write a story about a Cybertronian who didn’t know she was a Cybertronian, who was raised on an alien world — and the notion of tying in with the Solstar Order turned that into a more interesting idea.

>From a timeline perspective, where does this fit in in the continuity?

>Gage: Fairly early in the existence of the Solstar Knights. Not quite 200 years ago, but around 175, 180 years in the past. Rom and his ilk have only recently won their big victory over the Dire Wraiths, and are not really known outside Solstar space… but that’s about to change.

>Barber: From the Transformers’ perspective, Cybertron is an uninhabitable husk at this point, and the Autobots and Decepticons are at war even as they search the galaxy for energon. Their war has been going on for about four million years, so they’re on the other side, compared to where the Solstar Order is.

>The series revolves around a Cybertronian Solstar Knight, what can you tell us about Stardrive?

>Gage: She’s a great combo character… a Cybertronian infant rescued by Rom from a crashed spaceship. She grew up in the Solstar Order, so she’s never been around her own kind, until the events of our story. She’s very much a fish out of water, not really fitting in anywhere. She has a strong code of honor and a good heart, but they’ll be put to the test.

>Barber: The reputation of Cybertronians has permeated every part of the civilized galaxy, so the Solstar Order know they’re bad news. Transformers have a tendency to destroy planets that get in their way — that’s all Stardrive knows about her heritage. She doesn’t fit in with organic life, but all she’s ever heard is how terrible Cybertronians are.

>What was the process like for designing Stardrive with Alex Milne?

>Gage: I stayed out of it, not being too familiar with Transformers, and I think he nailed it! She has sweetness and innocence, but also she looks incredibly tough, like when she’s stomping on Dire Wraiths!

>Barber: Working closely with the team at Hasbro, Christos and I developed the story and what her personality was. At first, we’d even thought of using an existing Transformers character, but it became clear we were creating somebody new — the experiences she’d gone through and the way she acted didn’t fit right by the time we’d outlined the story. The character was very honest and very optimistic, despite everything. But she’s a Knight, a warrior, and she’s led a hard life. So we threw it over to Alex, who deserves the gold medal for Stardrive.

>In collaboration with Hasbro’s creative team, Alex came up with the look, the alt-mode, how the Solstar armor works, and her name. I would have happily gotten involved, but as you might know, Alex really knows Transformers. He’s been drawing them for a really long time, and really gets what makes them tick. And he did a perfect job here. I couldn’t be happier with what he’s done with Stardrive.

>What can you tell us about how Starscream plays into the meeting between Rom and the Transformers?

>Barber: Starscream’s out to get glory and power for himself, and he sees an opportunity. Er, I guess that’s what Starscream always does. But he finds out about Stardrive, and he reasons that if there’s a Cybertronian in Solstar space, they must have some way of feeding her. And the lack of energon is a driving force for Cybertronians at this point in history; one that leads him on a collision course with the Solstar Knights.

>From a thematic perspective, what makes Rom and the Transformers bounce well off of one another?

>Gage: I will admit that I wasn’t terribly familiar with the Transformers before this, but the more I learned, the more it seemed like a great fit. Besides the obvious — cool metal dudes and dudettes punching each other — there is the intriguing element that many of the Transformers view organic life as somewhat (or completely) inferior. But now along comes Rom, who is a combination of organic and machine life, and also functionally immortal. So where does he stand? It’s the kind of thing that calls your whole belief system into question, which is why it’s so much fun to have a Cybertronian Solstar Knight as the fish out of water who is seeing her own people for the first time.

>Barber: My whole run on Transformers has been about the recurring cycles of violence, and throwing another big space empire like the Solstar Order — and the Dire Wraiths — into the mix gives an outside perspective on the Cybertronian war and vice versa. The Solstar Order looks down on the endless war of the Cybertronians, even as they’re just starting to engage in their own endless war. The organic versus mechanical differences sort of fade away when the shooting starts.

>Also, I don’t know if this is thematic, but we finally see what happens when a Dire Wraith possesses a Transformer! It’s horrifying!

>Alex obviously has a huge deal of experience when it comes to Transformers. For you, what made him the right artist for this book?

>Gage: Alex puts an insane George Perez level of detail into his work! I love it! He can cram a ton of stuff onto a page without readability ever suffering. He’s also awesome at designing aliens and is adept at adding a horror element to the Wraith scenes.

>Barber: I’d worked with Alex for years as editor on “Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye,” and when that book changed artists, we knew Alex would do something big. Plus, now that I’m not editing anymore, I was really interested in working with him as a writer — I’d sort of had the chance to watch him for so long, I knew some of the stuff he was really great at.

>A comic like “Rom Vs. Transformers” needs a lot of stuff designed — we go to quite a few different planets and occupy a bunch of space ships in issue one, and all of them have to have their own history; their own feel. So Christos and I would give Alex some cues, but leave space for Alex to develop some of the background. I mean, we have a Solstar space station in issue one, and in collaboration with Hasbro’s creative team Alex not only designed the look of it, but he came back with all these ideas about what kind of crew it would have, how their shifts would rotate, and how it would operate in deep space. Great stuff—it’s a really great collaboration.

>I suggested we write this plot-first, so we send Alex the story, not necessarily broken into panels, and without final dialog. The thing that really surprised me — in an exciting way — was how Alex broke these pages down in more detail that I’d have imagined. He’s doing 9-panel pages sometimes, but they still feel big and epic, and the storytelling is razor-sharp. When you combine Alex’s linework with Josh Perez’s colors, “Rom Vs. Transformers” will look and read like no other comic out there.

That looks pretty cool!

I wonder if the transformers in the second page are Camien? I mean, they had to have use for warp drives in order to have an engineer specifically for them like Nautica. Could also explain why they didn't have anyone to turn to by the time Thunderclash (and later Cybertron) arrive: their own scout ships are getting picked off by the Galactic Council.

Also good for Milne to get some work.

I like your Getaway

Yeah, they're probably Camiens or other colonists.

I wonder if this Ultra Magnus is Minimus Ambus or not.

Stardrive toy, please.

surprised you guys liked my idea.

>Barber
>Milne
>Perez

Ok you've got me interested. Good people are working on it.

The TF fans will begrudgingly buy it just for Alex alone so it'll probably sell more than Lost Light lmao.

I'm torn. On the one hand, Milne is doing the art, on the other hand, it's Rom and I have zero interest in reading his books.

ROM is fairly decent tho, like Micronauts but without the humor.

This one seems to be more space & aliens oriented than the Earth-centric main series so that is defintielly a big big plus.

I'm buying Optimus Prime only because I want to support Zama&Burcham I don't even read it, I don't give a fuck about the story line. I feel like I'll be doing the same with this one.

I can't believe that I'm back in the Dreamwave days of just buying the book for the artist and not actually reading it.

His book's great, though. I love the Solstar Order designs.

Anyone have the final page from the annual that showed a bunch more of them?

how do i get into transformers?

Don't. Trust me on this one you don't want to deal with this autistic fanbase and it's more autistic franchise

t. a Transformers fag since '85

>Micronauts
>ends with issue 11

Man, here comes that nagging worry again...

It's switching to a miniseries format like D&D.

I just hope ROM doesn't too...

>Milne on art

Well, that's an easy skip then.

I've been avoiding all Earth-bound TF books, but if this one really stays in space and doesn't include any humans, I might at least check it out.

But seriously,
>Stardrive, the Cybertronian Solstar Knight
sounds like Drift and Windblade rolled into one.

They ain't gonna kill Percy. He's THE scientist of Transformers. I know Roberts has killed G1 before and Perceptor doesn't get a lot of focus, but I doubt Hasbro is OK with him staying dead.

Hey, Bumblebee is still dead.

Read the annual, Boco.

Well, dead-ish.

Either way I am not looking forward to his return.

I wonder if there was some kind of mandate that IDW could kill off Bumblebee, as long as they somehow still kept him appearing regularly. Hence the ghost!Bee.

Don't you have a TFW thread to shit up NotRamjet?

ok. but how do i get into transformers?

Ore-13. Not even deadish. He's alive and using a modified nightmare engine to be Starscream's Jiminy Cricket.

Ghost Bee didn't appear until like a year after Dark Cybertron, so I doubt it.

Watch season 1 of the G1 cartoon

Then watch season 2 until you get bored and can't go on

Then watch the '86 movie.

Try to watch season 3 until you can't take it anymore then stop.

Then watch beast wars and try to endure until at least the end of season 2. If you're not on board by then give it up.

Then watch Animated until the end of season 2. If it doesn't grab you by then give up.

Then use the IDW comic reading guide some user will post sooner or later and jump into the comics.

Ignore all other TV show and don't listen to TF Prime fags crying how their show is dark and mature and awesome, it's shit. Don't take the bait.

>using a modified nightmare engine
I wouldn't put it past Shockwave to have something like that tech in his secret lab

Use this reading order with Death of Optimus Prime before reading mtmte 1 and RID 1; and The Transformers: Drift before mtmte 1; "Spotlight: Kup", " All Hail Megatron " 15a and "Spotlight: Drift" before LSotW; Also add and "Autocracy", "Primacy", "Monstrosity" and "The Transformers: Megatron Origin" sometime before mtmte 28.

Perceptor is probably one of the mutiners or people sitll on the Lost Light. we don't know what he's been up to.

But yeah Roberts likes him too much to probably kill off senselessly.

My personal head canon is that Perceptor isn't really with them but he isn't against them, he'll keep the secret if they leave him alone to do science things.

this is stupid, just use the list

Largest image I could get.

New season of RID2015 starts tomorrow!

Holy shit these guys are MUCH more badass than the Marvel ones.

Wow, I hope they do a Solstar Order mini.

Nothing planned, but starting with issue 11 theres gonna be backup stories starring them.

Yeah, a lot of the Marvel space knights' designs always felt pretty bland to me. I think a large part of it was their all having the same basic body type.

These guys look a lot more fun and like they have a lot more personality.

Is the StarDiver thing a mini, one shot or an ongoing?

Mini.

That sounds reasonable.

Hopefully the Milne/Perez combo continues in some way after it, they are the best IDW art duo.

They've even got Sal Buscema doing art for one, which I feel like more people should be going "holy shit" about.

>“Long Roads to Ruin,” part 2. Rom and the other two Knights face off against a dire new threat; and Guy Dorian & Sal Buscema illustrate a dark tale of the Solstar Order!

>They've even got Sal Buscema doing art for one

For an issue? Fucking reallY?

I tough it was just a cover thing because IDW constantly has covers from favmous artists.

Ok I need to get into ROM right now.

Well, backup story, not whole issue.

>RID2015
On episode 11 and I am forcing myself to watch it at this point. When does the plot pick up?

It doesn't.

He doesn't even read the comics. Smart one, that boy.

They let someone from Funpub design that head or something?

The season plots for seasons 1 and 2 suck ass. Don't watch it for that, watch it for episodic fun. Season 2.5 finally got the rhythm down for long running plot.

>Menasor

Yes.

This is enough to get me to give RID another chance

I fucking love the Stunticons.

...this is real and not fanart, right?

Do you have a mega for season 2.5? I never bothered with RID beyond episode 1, but I'm curious now.

It's real. Confirmed combiners for the show so far are Ultra Bee, Menasor, and Cyclonus-torso Galvatronus. An image of Bruticus was released, but in a different art style alongside a similarly styled Ultra Bee that differed from the toy design, making both seem like early designs.

>that differed from the toy design
toy/show design*

Shame much like the CW version, the toy will suck.

Ok, I'm sold.

checked

no one cares about incomplete gets

tfw2005.com/boards/threads/the-official-tf-rid-torrents-episode-downloads-youtube-thread.1035595/page-114#post-14001901
not a mega but you can make do

Thanks my dude.

oh one of these is a camrip, go to the second post for a better upload

The ROM stuff in this book is fun.
There's this one alien, TFG, this ONE alien I love so much. It's just an alien buddy in the background of a panel, but the look on its face is so good.

Do we get to see a lot of the bear?

That's a good question!

Jooooooooooooosh, is that you you glorious pizza devouring faggot you?

Maybe!

How does it feel working with Milne after...fuck 7 years is it?

It feels great. Alex and I talk a lot and I screenshare while I work so any edits or whatever are taken care of right away. I've work with Alex since 2004, so he's the only artist where I feel I have a complete understanding of what's expected of me. He's stepped his game up like crazy for this book. I think people will like this book a lot. (flash forward to when it's out and TFG is going on about how it sucks and I just read that shit in the shadows)
Also I like how he draws Rom and Rom's little circle eyes.

do you think we'll see Alex back on Lost Light ever again?