Why do people on this board not like Cyborg?

Why do people on this board not like Cyborg?
Not just the movie version, I see mean the character in general.

I don't like the movie versions of the Flash and Aquaman and luthor

Because they liked Martian Manhunter more and Cyborg is his replacement. I thought MM worked in what was basically Justice League on Steroids. Shame the comic failed.

>first issue, they fight the moon

HOW DID YOU MESS THAT UP?!

I don't like him because he's DC's answer to diversity. They could use other characters (like Jon Stewart or something) but instead they just keep sticking him on the Justice League.

Because robot and cyborg characters matter for one and one reason only. Their personality/character.

Robocop? All about the human trapped in the machine, struggle to be human.
Terminator? Robo-AAHHHnold learning silly catchphrases and being a little more human by the end of T2.
HK-47? Meatbag-murdering psycho.
and so on and so on.

In terms of powers, robots/cyborgs have guns (no one cares, too plain), lazers (means shit in a universe with superbeings who shoot energy beams from every orifice) and hacking (which isn't visually translated well in comics and tons of other characters can do)

With robots/cyborgs it's all about their persona, their charm. Without that, they're nothing.

And 99% cyborg's persona is shit. Bland shit.

He's not a black guy with electric powers and a shitty backstory.

His movie design looks too scrawny desu
Like he's a skeleton made out of tin foil

He's black

Everyone who says Steel should be in Justice League instead is an idiot, and Martian Manhunter is a fucking alien, so they're racist too to think any non human creature = a good analogy for an actual black man

He's not Raven or Starfire so they're butthurt they don't get to see their waifu instead.

why do people like DC?
Not just the movies, I see mean the comics in general.

He's boring and DC is pushing him harder than Marvel pushed Spiderwoman.

There's no need for a black person in JL.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be one, but there doesn't have to be one either.

If cyborg is their "we should have a black guy always" they should drop him. A black guy, like any character, should be in when they can write him good.

And right now, they can't.

Boring.

Literally the only good thing he had going for him was his bromance with Garfield. He's a dull character from one successful franchise shoehorned into DC's biggest team. He is Colossus as an Avenger. I'm waiting for DC to retcon it back to the big seven and put Cyborg back with the Titans. I don't dislike him, I'm at best indifferent and annoyed at his presence.

That's not the question. Learn to read, Sup Forums.

If DC was looking for a black character to help found the JLA instead of Martian Manhunter, Steel was the best choice. Maybe just redesign him to take away some of the Superman references. They retconned Cyborg's origin to involve the New Gods tech, why couldn't they could do the same with Steel?

The character is fine, and a good superheroic exploration of transhumanism.

People dont like him getting shoved onto the justice league as "token diversity representation", usually taking someone elses place and acting completely different than his "normal" characterization to fit in.

Which is in itself a good, if accidental metaphor for black people having their culture stripped away to be more palatable for general audiences.

Its sad really, DC keeps accidentallying themselves into solid meta-criticism of cultural diversity.

Steel is only known for a horrible 90s movie
Cyborg is known for a wildly successful cartoon show

I wonder why they always suggest Steel as the go-to black character anyway

>all the black is hidden away

Ah, right.

They should have steels dad from "The New Frontier" as an early member of the justice league.

Boring just as everyone said

Also Cyborg's job is pretty much glorified tech support on the JL. We know the studio wouldn't choose John Stewart because they're still scared about the GL movie. And CW already called dibs on Black Lightning so there must have been another fucking dumb embargo.

Steel is just too similar to Ironman

Black Lightning is a literal who to the casual audience
Cyborg is not, there is an entire generation of teens, kids, and 20 somethings who know who he is cause of Teen Titans

And unlike Marvel, they don't have to dig up literal whos because they don't have the rights to their popular well known characters

because not enough people are reading his rebirth series

Movie version looks like Don Lemon.

I fucking hate Don Lemon.

(Modern) Capefags want the same shit over and over. They want Cyborg to be deaged every now and then for the teen titans roster to stay the same.

Diversity brainwashing for children.

>a horrible 90s movie
DELET THIS

Actually no.

Steel is a self-made mad scientist of an engineer who, with a little bit of TLC, could be one of DC's stand-out heroes. Steel's entire MO is personal accountability and resiliency in the face of insurmountable odds. His entire story is black struggle and black exceptionalism. Cyborg is an emotionally unstable half-man who got his powers through bad luck and his father's genius who's been throwing a constant pity-party and repeating the same stale character arc for the 37 years he's been around.

Dude, fucking Cyborg is like 95% machine. Literally the only black part of him anymore is roughly one half of his head.

You might be right, but that isn't how this works. Nobody knows Steel other than die hard, hardcore DC fans or nostalgic middle aged people who remember a shitty movie from childhood

Cyborg is a household name these days among the casual "nerd" crowd because everyone who has been into DC even if just televised cartoons for the past 20 years knows who he is

Should have been John but I think his name is honestly the reason they aren't doing it.

Although I remember when the GL movie came out with Reynolds a BUNCH of people were wondering why Lantern was white. Many people actually think JS is THE green lantern because of that JL cartoon.

>nostalgic middle aged people who remember a shitty movie from childhood
Come on, I get that you're probably only 16, but I'm not even 30 yet and I saw that shit in theaters.

I'm 27, gramps. Most people my age don't remember the movie, and remember Teen Titans much more

Hell, only normie people my age who do remember Steel are Shaq fans, not Steel fans, and people who religiously watch Nostalgia Critic

Most people didn't watch that movie, it made $1,7 million on a $16 million budget.

Cyborg's addition to the league never felt justified to me.
It always seemed like he was in over his head.
I obviously and biased by JL/U and Teen Titans, but I just never felt like he belonged with the next tier of super heroes.
And even in the movie I feel this way, the actor just looks so out of place with the rest of the recognizable actors.
If that's how they're going to play the character, that's fine I guess, but I can't help but feel like there were better choices if they needed to put in a recognizable black guy.

Different user, here. I'm probably about your age then, and I can safely say not one of my friends, even the "normies" who think they know comics, would be able to tell me who Steel is or even what company he belongs too.

MAYBE they remember Shaq was in a movie called Steel but even then they'd just assume he was some knock-off not-superman instead of actually being tied to the DoS.

To me they just never really sold it. Like "here's the kid that came from the minor league affiliate." It was always just "he's here now" instead of him fitting a need the team had.

The other most recognizable black guys are GL and Static, and Static suffers from the same problem Cyborg does

>I don't like him because he's DC's answer to diversity. They could use other characters (like Jon Stewart or something)
What's the difference? People would still complain that he's the token regardless

john stewart is only interesting when they give him a planet to blow up desu

The difference is that Jon doesn't really have that kind of junior hero stigma. Jon is also an ex-marine and a hardass who keeps people in line and focused on the mission at hand. I'm not really sure what cyborg's character is supposed to be- he's good at technology I guess?

Most people probably wouldn't complain because they think John Stewart is supposed to be on the Justice League because of the cartoon.
Yeah, they're both black, but Cyborg is just replacing another black guy, so it's kind of different.
And he's a Green Lantern. I'd rather have a GL than Iron Man-lite on my team.

Cause he is black and no one likes black characters.

He's boring. His only defining character trait is "black tech expert" and they already have Mr. Terrific to do that.

Cyborg has no interesting villains or stories whatsoever and is one of the most prominent examples of a support character. He's just there to fill a slot when they can't or won't use anyone else.

>They could use other characters (like Jon Stewart or something)

Literally the worst lantern. Guy and Alan are better than him. Hal and Kyle are better than Jon. Even the Terrorist and dyke are better than Jon

You don't understand, I guess. He IS green lantern to many people. As in the only one, or the only one that ever mattered. Ryan Reynolds played a knock off to many normies who thought GL was black.

>muh manhunter
Cyborg replaced him because anyone in the league could kick his ass, with or without prep, at anytime. MM was part Superman, part Charles Xavier, part Mystique, part Kitty Pryde, part Mr. Fantastic, part Invisible Woman and part Batman. They had to get rid of him just to make somewhat interesting stories; otherwise the league would have to fight Galactus level threats every Thursday in order to justify having him on the roster and NOT going full jobber.
>Geoff Johns allowing John Stewart to outshine Hal Jordan during this or any lifetime.
see pic

he's black.

This is a major point. Look how much trouble they're having writing a flash movie (some of which probably has to do with the CW ruining good storylines). OP powers are tough to script for. It's worse when the character is OP in many different aspects.

Look what they've done to Vision and Thor in the MCU. Strange had to be left alone because his gallery is fucking horrifying compared to some of the Phase 1 mooks.

At this point, he's one of the most iconic staples of DC. He's not just their black guy, he's their Tony Stark. The tech guy with the armor that can be blown up in cool ways. He's cinematic.

This post looks like it was written by a person with a gun held to their head.

>some of which probably has to do with the CW ruining good storylines

Flashpoint?

And just touching the characters of Cold and Grodd. Obviously they were going to have to but either of them would have made a great villain to have in his solo flick.

Grodd particularly seems to me something the studio would jump at. You get a planet of the apes/king kong ad campaign right off the bat. That's how I assume they'd view it at least.

I liked him in Teen Titans but now they're shoving him in everything.

Justice League Action: Cyborg
Justice League Movie (animated movies included): Cyborg
Justice League Comics: Cyborg

I-I don't know what you're talking about. I thought that prefacing it with "at this point" and implying that he's their black guy would be innocuous enough, but you're so detached from moviefag casualness that now my family has to die. Thanks a lot, asshole.

I'm surprised it took so long for him to get an actual supporting cast and rogues gallery

I liked him when he had a goth fetish.

That's some character/personality.

I don't mind Cyborg. I grew up on the Teen Titans cartoon as a kid. I just think people are a little asspained because the nu52 had Vic part of the JLA line-up because they needed a token black.

why do people like Marvel?
Not just the movies, I see mean the comics in general.

>Everyone who says Steel should be in Justice League instead is an idiot,
The fact of the matter is Steel would have fitted right in as a Superman proxy until the real deal resurrected. Then he care retire as the resident tech guy. Steel in his essence could only exist in a world where Superman recently died.

>some of which probably has to do with the CW ruining good storylines
The hell are you on about. S1 Flash is an original story and it was great. S2 was a pretty bad story, but also original. I really hope you're not calling Flashpoint a good storyline.

I like Cyborg but ever since 2012 he's been put in a place he doesn't belong, so it clashes and diminishes his character. He belongs in the Titans. It's like putting Superman permanently in the Doom Patrol or something.

Static just suffers from no one using him or wanting to write good stories. His character and personality are fine with an interesting power set. Electromagnetism is great. He has magneto abilities and controls electricity plus regeneration and being a technoparth. But he shouldn't be on the League till he grows up a bit more. Miss him being on the Titans.

I genuinely think most Teen Titans are significantly more interesting.

I started to hate Cyborg because he replaced Martian Manhunter for tokenism bullshit and Geoff would never let his husbando be replaced by John. If you need a black member of the League, Vixen, Black Lightning or Steel would all be far better choices.

>oh no i used to play football but my dad turned me into a cyborg!
who gives a shit, honestly.

It's only the reddit crossposters who hate him.

He's an inspiration to young black children that one day they could grow up to be a cyborg.

He's been really forced as a justice league founder and some how important. The only story he has ever had was "oh no! i am a machine! why am i no longer huuuuman!!!". He's just fucking boring, and being forced down peoples throats make people not like him even more.

I personally wish we could have the elder league "retire" from it (the league not being heros) and focus on solo shit and building at home. Let the younger characters handle league duties and become the leaguers, while damian and the younger ones take the titans over.

The main icons could still come in for events. Jordan was great but imagine how old it would be to watch him if he never retired and just kinda became a role player. Even when he was old and on the wizards he was dropping buckets but it just wasn't the same. But how fucking great it would be to see him return at 100% full form for the playoffs this year?

Same goes for the league. The JL feels stale because we've seen it all before with all the same members and dynamic. But if they are "gone" for a while their return becomes an event in and of itself.

It also shows that there is progression in the universe for a character like Cyborg to be joining the A-team.

tl:dr
I think cyborg moving up to the JL shows growth and that they should go further and start to remove older leaguers from the day-to-day, issue-to-issue league activities. A decades old debate.

I like him. I wish more teen titans actually graduate and more b and c graders are assimilated into the league.
It's retarded to call a character boring when DC doesn't bother putting a good writer on JL. People haven't bothered reading or forget that Giffen and Dematteis made a lot of small time characters interesting.

I like the character, I just don't like everything hes been thrown into lately. It all feels premature, unearned, and frankly a shameless diversity hire. I get why it was him, hes the most practical character for that role available and the TT cartoon helped his image, but its been handled poorly. Granted theyre trying to flesh him out more with his solo book, but its a steady progress. I hate how hes a mcguffin half the time, which most tech heroes suffer from honestly, but I also hate his Mother Box upgrade and the fact that hes in a constant cycle of stories revolving around his humanity. Do something with his former football career and implement it in his character more. Competitive, showboat, anything.

Yet MM in the team made for far more memorable JL than with Cyborg in
hell what JL story absolutely required Cyborg to be there

Everything in the nu52 because he has a boom box inside him now which makes him super important.

There were people who had never heard of Green Lantern let alone John Stewart before that they wanted to go see that movie.

I never understood why some think MMH on the team is redundant simple because hes an alien like Superman. If anything, I thought they had a good dynamic between one another. Both are the last of their kind, both have great power, and yet what separates them is that John has to hide who he is to the world if he ever wants to interact outside the league. I guess some think hes lame because his weakness is fire

it's a really good dynamic actually
>supes doesn't have to hide himself, but he can't be sure how others view him
>mm has to hide, but can read humans' thoughts

He's also has a humorous dynamic with the the league members but he doesn't need to go out on every mission. Why do you think the JLU writers kept him on watchtower duty most of the show? He's always been OP.

It still worked, he's an alien who feels out of sorts with Earth and finds it noisy because he's telepathic. It'd make sense for him to be all Dr. Manhattan about it and keep his distance from humanity.

I really, really want to like Cyborg...but I can't. Not because he's black, not because I liked him better in Teen Titans, not because I think he's a crybaby...but because HE HAS NO FUCKING CHARM ANYMORE.

I mean, there's a reason why when people hear about the hero "cyborg' they think of the cartoon Teen Titans. It's because that version had charm, and was interesting. He didn't need his backstory to be overly explained, didn't need to have a whole lotta shit thrown at us about how Cyborg smart (we already knew that)...he just had a fucking personality.

Cyborg is riddled with potential to be made into a mermorable character with a memorable attitude, but unfortunately doesn't have one. He's just "I'm the young black guy and I'm smart and I'm the youngster of the group, daddy loves me and I have no penis". I mean, the way people write him always has the guy feeling like he's a background character.

I mean, for God's sake, we live in a world where people get Jon Stewart and Hal Jordan confused, because in the JL cartoon, Jon Stewart did have a character other than "black and serious fellow" He didn't feel like a token black guy, he felt like a part of the team.

Cyborg needs that treatment in the comics. He needs to be INTERESTING for fuck's sake, but it's like the writers don't think he's interesting either, so why bother?

They really should just bring him back, have him lounge on the watchtower eating oreos not giving a fuck

Simple,
There has never been the great, pinnacle cyborg run or story. The real in depth story about cyborgs life before his transformation. THE origin story. Then show the change, the good and evil of living as a half man. The loss of humanity or the glory of it.
Cyborg has had nothing but mediocre to good story's and most of his key moments come on the back of others. Runs in titans or Nightwing or Flash or Green Arrow/Arsenal. Cyborg got a ticket to the big leagues by being black but all he really is, is wasted potential.

Cyborg does have good stories
problem is that they where all with the Titans

I like Cyborg. I just don't care how forced his inclusion into the Big League feels, especially when its 1) so obviously a diversity hire when 2) they already have John Stewart who is much less forced and almost universally loved from his JLU appearances.

It doesn't help that the movie-rendition of Cyborg is the ugliest possible design they could've chosen. "busy" does not mean "detailed", this looks like those godawful bayformers that looked caught in mid-explosion.

Because DC managed to take a cool concept/character archetype and make him as boring as is humanly possible.

Cyborg has no character. There's nothing to like.

>Cyborg has no character.
What do you mean, don't you like the "am i a machine or a human?" storyline they do over and over and over again?

>It doesn't help that the movie-rendition of Cyborg is the ugliest possible design they could've chosen.
Eh, I hate his Super Friends costume much more.

cyborg only exists to be hacked by other characters to show how smart they are

why should i like a superhero who has an off button

Came here to post this.

I'm a huge transhumanismfag and that's always one of my favorite storylines, no matter how many times it's done.

And yet, DC manages to make even that boring to me whenever they pull it (again and again and again) with Cyborg. He's just not interesting.

I think his outfit just looks kinda overdesigned.

I'd prefer if he was bulkier and simpler.

>this character is booooring we're not racist
>what if we made it about race issues and definitions of humanity?
>fuckingsjwcuckniggers

>why should i like a superhero who has an off button

>what is Kryptonite

this cyborg is best cyborg

dumb cartoonbabby

Not his fault that was the only remotely likeable version of cyborg ever created. Also the only one with a personality.

>>what is Kryptonite
one of the reasons why people got bored of superman stories

nah
Johns TT Cyborg was great as a big brother type and had a fun relationship with Gar.

Cucked dcfag, go back to your inconsistent characterization and retcons.

And also one of the reasons why people don't like him in this day and age and why he just doesn't work.

?
The cartoons are still DC you weirdo.

same.

if you're gonna do Cyborg give him that kind of bombastic personality.

Because for JLU fans he's not muh MMH and for TT fans he's not muh Raven. Oh and of course Sup Forums hates him for being a nig.