Hey Sup Forums,I'm pretty depressed so I decided to do a project to distract myself...

Hey Sup Forums,I'm pretty depressed so I decided to do a project to distract myself,do a lot of content creators come here? I have questions

>How fast did it took you to learn how to draw
>What are the essentials if I'm going to stick to black and white comics?
>Do I really need a scanner?
>What youtube channels should I check out on learning comic art and writing?

Thanks Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UClM2LuQ1q5WEc23462tQzBg
youtube.com/channel/UC5dyu9y0EV0cSvGtbBtHw_w
youtube.com/channel/UC7nqKTkW-PUmcTk_vp2yvtQ
youtube.com/channel/UCbdyjrrJAjDIACjCsjAGFAA
amazon.com/Wacom-CTL490DW-Digital-Drawing-Graphics/dp/B010LHRFM2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1491241665&sr=8-3&keywords=Wacom
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It took me several years. And I'm actually in a similar situation to you now (making a comic, writing scripts, etc.)

But a thing I want to emphasize is LEARN THE BASICS OF ART CORRECTLY THE FIRST TIME.

It is a must to learn perspective and anatomy and composition properly. While it is good to see what other artists do like looking at their styles and tutorials for certain things, and sometimes it is a must to do so, using them to pick up a few tricks and hint here and there, from my experience, may actually hinder you depending on what it is you're trying to learn as it can meld into a habit that's hard to break out of. Trust me. In the long run it's better.

Because if you don't have the fundamentals down you'll have to unlearn everything you've learned just to progress to a new level of drawing depending on what skill level you want to get to.

Thanks kind poster,is your comic work meant to be a career or do you do it as a hobby?

This guy knows what's up.
>>What are the essentials if I'm going to stick to black and white comics?
Anatomy, perspective, value control and arrangement, composition and page flow.
>>Do I really need a scanner?
Not really, but it's helpful. The best alternative is a high end camera and Lightroom, and that's not always ideal.

It's going to be a hobby most likely (I would love for it to become a full time job and my ultimate dream would be it becoming an animated show but that's kinda unrealistic), and I do have to see it to fruition before I make a judgment call like that. I still have much to learn as you do about the whole process.

Is your project going to be a comic/web comic or is it something else?

I plan for it to be a monthly comic for Sup Forums since thats where I got the idea from,I dont plan to venture into the comic book industry for a career,I'm satisifed enough to be a drawfag

Thanks for the advice,I'll put in the work today,I might be able to post a pilot of my project within 6 months.

Is there a board or thread for constructive criticism?

>Is there a board or thread for constructive criticism?
Depends on how you define constructive.

Thanks a lot guys but I still want to know if you have youtube channels you watch to learn about drawing/writing

Ask in the Drawthread , or the HYW threads.

Ty have a alex

I could never pick a best spy. All three of them are so good, and have their own charms.

This is now an Alex thread. Only Alex posts are allowed.

Good taste.

I can't help you with writing, but I can suggest some for drawing.

Proko
youtube.com/channel/UClM2LuQ1q5WEc23462tQzBg
Sycra
youtube.com/channel/UC5dyu9y0EV0cSvGtbBtHw_w
Jeff Watts
youtube.com/channel/UC7nqKTkW-PUmcTk_vp2yvtQ
Feng Zhu
youtube.com/channel/UCbdyjrrJAjDIACjCsjAGFAA

And while not a youtube Channel, Gurney Journey is a top tier blog. I'd link it but blogspot.

>Because if you don't have the fundamentals down you'll have to unlearn everything you've learned just to progress to a new level of drawing depending on what skill level you want to get to.
If this shit doesn't describe me to the T...

Strip Panel Naked is probably the closest you'll get for a good comic art criticism channel.
Can't really vouch for any writing channel, but I know the advice given to me was just to read fucking everything. Real books more than comic books.

this depends on yout natrual aptitude and how hard you are willing to work

learning a lot of things on your own is difficult

look into classes if you can

Do you have any books you'd recommend?

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.
Read pretty much everything by Terry Pratchett.
Though, I've heard that for every two fiction books, you should read one historical/non-fiction. Just to keep yourself well-rounded.

Thanks user

Give us some idea of the genre you want to make comics for, user.

Mystery,particularly detective work,I'd appreciate it if you also know any book centered around teenage behaviour and on growing up for another project I have in mind

>>How fast did it took you to learn how to draw
I'd say 4 years to do something decent after I started practicing seriously but i already had some years of bad art before that
Digital or traditional? If you're going to do traditional you will need bristol board, an H2 or H4 pencil, dip pens of different sizes and forms and some brushes.
And a big one
>>What youtube channels should I check out on learning comic art and writing?
Youtube no idea but I can give you some books
I could rec you some books but there are so many good ones I'm goign to list the most basic ones
Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson
The Famous Artists School Course
rendering in pen and ink by Arthur Guptill
Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud
pic related is essential because it picks up where McCloud left, criticizing and expanding on his work.
Framed Ink by Marcos Mateu-Mestre
The Noble Aproach by Marice Noble

A single man can't pull a monthly comic

Well, I'd recommend the classics of detective fiction then, like Sherlock Holmes and Poirot. I can't say I ever got into it but the hardboiled detective genre is there, stuff like Raymond Chalnder's Pillip Marlowe and stuff like The Maltese Falcon. It's a pretty wide genre that I've haven't gotten into beyond Holmes, but Holmes seems as good a starting place as any to me.

>A single man cant pull a monthly comic

You sound like you know what I'm getting into,is a 100 page/3 months feasible? Thanks for the resources too

I think early Bendis did some good noir comics, that might be worthwhile getting into.

How detailed are we talking, user? It's certainly not impossible(see also: 24 hour comics), but you would probably run the risk of burnout.

Also depends if you're coloring or not.
BW, even just doing shadows, is phenomenally faster. There's so many 4koma mangaka that pull off a page a day, so it's not really impossible, but it is hard to do regardless.

>Burnout

Fuck I never thought of that,silly me

I initially plan for it to be 4 volumes of 12 comics which would have 100 pages each and posted monthly but now that you mentioned it,that sounds batshit insane even if I were to stick to black and white only

that scene with her and her mother was weird

honestly alot of scenes in that show were weird

Professional teams of artists do about 25 pages a month per floppy.
Pencillers, inkers, colorists, and letterers, on top of the regular writer, which could take any amount of time to script out the book.

A page a day is easily doable. That's the old school newspaper comics pace.
Well, it depends on a number of factors. I would say aim for a hundred pages a year(2 a week) and then up the pace if you feel like you can handle more.

>TEAMS of artists

Well I'm fucked if a team can only do 25 pages a month,thanks for the advice,I'll cut it down to something much more reasonable

Do what this user says

>a 100 page/3 months feasible?

About to put /ic/ but this thread is interesting

cute duck

Different publication formats and styles, but European comic artists tend to work alone or with a script writer and draw maybe 70 to 100 pages a year. Examples Manu Larcenet's Blast 800 pages in 6 years; Mathieu Bablet's Shangrii-La's 222 pages in 2 years.

>A single man can't pull a monthly comic
The (in)famous comics legend Dave Sim put out 64 issues by himself, before he broke down and hired an assistant for backgrounds.

It's hard, but it's doable.

>Be 26 years old.
>Wanted to be an artist as a kid but various mental illness got in the way
>I'm not in a position where I have to spend all my time doing stuff other than drawing to make a living so I barely have time or motivation to practice

you might wanna try the How's Your Webcomic? threads, if you're going to work on a comic. Not so much for help on drawing in general

There are other types of projects you can do as well. A common one on /tg/ is to try making a world for a D&D game. The only skill that requires is your imagination.

>>How fast did it took you to learn how to draw
3 years
Perspective and figure drawing
depends on what program you'll use
>>What youtube channels should I check out on learning comic art and writing?
None, most of them don't know how to explain shit, they just want to show off

15 years.

Pentel Brush pen or set of brushes and bottle of India ink + high-quality pigment liners (I recommend Staedtler or Pentel brand stuff)

Yes.

No freaking clue.

Same

Its a french show

Not op, but any recomendations for a good digital drawing tablet or something?

bump

Wacom all the way. It's pricier than other brands, but I've had a Wacom Intuos for the last 6 years and it still works like a charm, while Chinese knock off brands often break in a year or so.

I've been drawing since I was a literal child, but after I started taking it seriously I guess it was about two years before I could make decent works.

>What are the essentials if I'm going to stick to black and white comics?
Pick up Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics and Will Eisner's Comics and Sequential art. They'll tell you literally everything you need to know.

>Do I really need a scanner?
If you're going to draw traditionally, yes. Or at least a neighbor/library/local print store with a scanner. The alternative is taking high quality photos of your art, and good quality cameras get pretty expensive and the setup is more difficult.

>What youtube channels should I check out on learning comic art and writing?
Honestly Youtube is a shit place to learn art. Most of the artists there are popular because they can edit videos well and are charismatic, not because they're great, or even good artists. The only one I would recommend is Istebrak, especially if you plan to do any digital painting.
Deviantart is honestly a much better place for art tutorials/guides, but you have to do some digging. If you have any specific topics you need advice on I can direct you to a guide.

>Implying you ever stop learning

Guess he meant to ask how long to master the basics

>Wacom
Nice! Thanks user!
Amazon is a good place to buy it?

this one?
amazon.com/Wacom-CTL490DW-Digital-Drawing-Graphics/dp/B010LHRFM2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1491241665&sr=8-3&keywords=Wacom

Amazon or your local Best Buy are good places to buy 'em.
I actually got the Intuos Pro, which is considerably pricier, but I've heard good things about that tablet as well. The only differences between the Pro and the normal Intuos are that the Pro has a couple extra hotkeys, but you can always assign those hotkeys to your keyboard so it's not much of a difference.

Is trying to learn with paper/tablet in parallel a stupid idea or should I start exclusively with paper/pencil? When should I start practicing with a tablet?

Well if you are just learning the basics of drawing;
Pen and pencil

Tablets can be very difficult to get used to on top of learning how to draw. It took me a week or two of frustration just to get my eye hand coordination up to par and this was years after I started drawing. But thankfully once you get used to it it's like riding a bike, kinda instinctual. It's more difficult for some people than it is for others.

Bump