Let's have a thread for good Sup Forums and/or Sup Forums-related games

Let's have a thread for good Sup Forums and/or Sup Forums-related games.

FUCK YOU NCSOFT
youtube.com/watch?v=ra7O7LqNh5w

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GVI15j8qltA
youtube.com/watch?v=r6avH3_8FYQ
youtu.be/z18wHii_NIc?t=21m38s
youtube.com/watch?v=KxgXBa8fFDk
youtube.com/watch?v=JQI668D55g8
shipofheroes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That music tho

Which is best of series? Can't decide between 2 or 3.

I must have dumped a year's worth of hours into City of Heroes. Such a great fucking game.

WHAT
THE
FUCK???

What is this shit? ANSWERS. NOW!!!!!

I am a long time City of Heroes Player, I'm still involved with a community that stayed together after CoH was wrongfully killed off. Yeah, this latest bullshit by NCSoft has not gone unnoticed. It's a slap in the fact, even worst they gave this new version of Stateman lore outside Issue 24 which never got released.

It's just a prank, bro.

it's a Statesman from a parallel world who was actually a villain but came into the NCSoft world (???) and decided to become a hero and take up the Statesman name

I always felt that Statesman's death was really shitty and ignoble (even if the dev himself was an asshole) but this is much worse.

People didn't get David Nakayama to draw them a picture.

What the fuck even is this

A fucking MOBA with NC Soft characters?

Also is that Crispin Freeman? Good lord man have some dignity

How did they never come up with a pirate server? I think there are still FF XI servers limping along out there.

Man, I fucking miss this microtransaction ridden kiddy game.
It had a shitload of characters
How Marvel héroes holds up?

2 for broken combos but 3 for a successful progression of the formula.

Also Ultimate Spider-Man for the gamecube was the fucking tits. It's storymode was Bendis firing on all cylinders to craft a fantastic symbiote story arc. Not only does the game have two campaigns running parallel with one another (Spidey and Venom's stories complete with their own gampelay varieties), but it also incorporates villains from Spidey's rogues gallery (you get an electro fight, a beetle fight, a rhino fight, goblin fight, and a carnage fight all in the same game). Although the game was a bit on the short side, it was a finely polished gem of a game that deserves to be replayed.
>Only negative is the web slinging was simplified.
youtube.com/watch?v=GVI15j8qltA

>How did they never come up with a pirate server?
Apparently nobody was able to break the game's code in time. I think there's like a social version of it where you can log in and interact with people but you can't do missions and stuff.

There've been rumors for a few years that one exists but nobody's been able to provide evidence of it so either it's one of the best kept secrets on the planet or it's people preying on our hopes and dreams for their giggles.

Only MMORPG I could stomach.

>We killed your game for bullshit reasons and refuse to sell the IP out of stubborn pride but hey we put Statesman in a shitty MOBA that'll make you happy right?
Fuck NCSoft

>Good natured old fashioned Superman/Cap expy is given a humiliating and pointless death at the hands of a genuine late 90's early 2000's edgelord villain
>Over a decade later his image is slapped into a soulless cash grab piece of shit video game

Jesus Christ the indignity

>That time the Joker took over Castlevania

Cut the crap you guys and tell me about what kind of character you made.

No judgements. We were all young too.

Rob is that you?

Jefferson Davis died in a freak rollercoaster accident and sold his soul to the Devil on the condition he could kill Northerners and increase his KDR to bounds previously unknown

I miss it. Not every day, but every so often. Every time I think about it, it's always just longing.

The first character I made (the game was only released for a few days even) was a complete derivative of The Shadow. I remember being so excited I could finally make him in a game sans the cape. I don't even remember what his build was, I think a scrapper or a blaster. I had a few others but I was most fond of him.
Fuck man this thread is making me too nostalgic, how is it nobody jumped on the premise besides Champions?

Shoulda been a "Blapper"

The singing slasher. I did so well recreating the costume and the power set that I won a costume contest.

This is the best game ( that admittedly isn't actually playable anymore given shitty steam port) that Sup Forums never talks about.

For those not in the know it's a superhero themed squad strategy game. very inspired by jack kirby. you could recruit from a bunch of different superheros for your team and fight a bunch of different super villians

the sequel was great too ( freedom force vs the third reich where the team time travels to ww2 team up with golden age super heors and fight nazis)

Also each hero had an origin story here are a few

youtube.com/watch?v=r6avH3_8FYQ

youtu.be/z18wHii_NIc?t=21m38s

youtube.com/watch?v=KxgXBa8fFDk

youtube.com/watch?v=JQI668D55g8

Sup Forums talks about this all the time but I never tried it. You really can't play it anymore? It's not on GOG or anything?

>Champions

Jeeeesus, Champions Online. What the hell happened to that one? It didn't have the same spark as CoH/CoV but I think the character creator had a slight edge over them.

you "can" but.....long story short the version that exists on steam does not work well with modern systems at all, and it needs some significant changes and tweaking or it's unplayable ( characters run off the world unresponsive to commands, broken set-up) I just can't recommend it in good conscience knowing that. even though it's one of my favorite games ever.

Honestly though, i think the series would have been a lot better had it come out after DOTA as the hero controlled from a RTS perspective idea was really perfected by moba style games and it can feel dated as a result.

It had potential, but there was always something that felt very off about the faces, hands, and feet.

I worked at Paragon Studios. The news was weird to us, too. But it's their IP, after all, they can do with it what they want.

What server were you on?

The character creator had a lot of great options that CoX didn't have but there was always something overly cartoonish about it. The faces were pretty terrible- other than monster faces you were basically stuck with one face, and no matter how you messed with the sliders it always looked like the same person, just with a bigger nose/chin/eyes/etc. CoX had jpg texture faces but at least they were distinct from each other.

Also the game itself was kind of terrible. CoX could get repetitive but CO's missions followed were even more formulaic. It also didn't help that the game is trying really hard to have a campy sense of humor but it falls flat because the staff has no idea how to write humor and think references to funny movies count as jokes.

>there are still no open-world superhero games with fun combat and lots of customization that aren't tied down by MMO horseshit
FUCKING WHY?

did somebody else played this game too?
i fucking loved it

>It also didn't help that the game is trying really hard to have a campy sense of humor but it falls flat because the staff has no idea how to write humor and think references to funny movies count as jokes.
The voice acting was the worst part. Apparently they were trying to go for intentionally corny acting without realizing that there's a difference between corny acting and bad acting.

You don't remember? Somebody hit level cap day one and the suits flipped their collective lids. XP was reduced dramatically turning the game into a massive grind since there wasn't enough quest content to cover the difference, essentially killing the game within the first week and prompting a ton of refund demands from lifetime membership players.

The Ameragician: basically Cap meets Dr. Strange

I also made The Mighty Fro-Bot and a shamelessly fetishy buff ninja lizard woman with a bow.

I think about this a lot too.
How hard would it be to make a singleplayer superhero game based on an original IP where you just can customize your character like so many other games let you? Think of something like Infamous only you aren't tied down to being Cole and you have more options. Too much work I bet.

turn to /tg/. play a superhero RPG. customize and build to your hearts content. You're welcome.

shipofheroes.com/

Pray that it's good, lads.

Get on your knees and pray.

>prompting a ton of refund demands from lifetime membership players.
Ahahahaha I completely forgot they offered lifetime memberships and people bought them
And then like a year and a half later it goes F2P

>Tabletop

Nnnngh I just can't man

In CoV I played Malicious Code, a tech themed mastermind that was essentially Freakazoid mixed with Angelina Jolie's character from Hackers.

Could have stood a chance at success if they hadn't had that kneejerk reaction, shit was fun in the beta since quick levelling just encourages PvP and alts.

>shipofheroes.com/
Nothing about the art direction on that website gives me any hope

It takes a lot to get me hopeful about MMOs in general, especially cheap looking ones with weird names.

Looks like they're cramming old and crusty MMO mechanics into Second Life

Seems like it follows the pattern of the other CoX tribute games: nice concept, terrible design, and no sense of direction.

Open-world AAA games without a guaranteed IP are nearly impossible to do, much less do well. No publisher would touch it and a KS would require tens of millions poured into a trusted developer.

>I want a thing
Here is thing
>but that's *hard*
You deserve every bad thing that happens to you in life.

There are a few successor projects in the works, but MMOs take time. Especially from scratch.

My personal choice is City of Titans, but even that is late 2018.

shout out to any DCUO players

He might just have shitty friends or keep weird hours.

City of Titans had a KS with MUCH less and several extra milestones reached. But that is because it's all volunteer.

oh stop taking things so seriously.

That still hasn't died yet?

>Cautiously Optimistic

Do people still play it? Would it be worth redownloading?

Legit always wanted to try a tabletop, but my lack of time and friends more into getting shitfaced than table topping makes it hard to break into.

Champions is tsill there
with lockboxes and over powered "vehicles"(that you CANNOT repaint)
its...odd, theres still players, but i assume those are like hardcore fans or something

What bothers me the most about superhero MMOs (well MMOs in general) is that is that you're always gonna be some literally who doing pathetic grunt work while the 'important' Superman / Batman etc type characters do all the actual significant shit, understandably because that's their role but it leaves you feeling a retard getting a participation medal. And even worse is when the game tries hard to make you feel important but you just know in your gut it's all smoke and mirrors because a million other players are gonna get the same experience and the same thank you from Superman telling you he couldn't do it without you.

I've been meaning to get back into it, but I cannot for the life of me come up with a good idea for a fire tank character.

In CoV I mained the Machine smith, a surgeon and robotisist suffering from muscular dystrophy who was slowly replacing his organic body with !machine parts.
My parents actually played thee game together, as Doc Love and Farrah.

Ice/Ice Blaster
and Robots/Tech Mastermind

I miss them every single fucking day. I pray to every god in existence that Ship of heroes is what brings back the series.

NCSOFT CAN BURN TO THE FUCKING GROUND

I'm sure some of them see it as a sunk cost thing, they paid so much into the game that they feel they need to keep playing it even though it stopped being fun

It's cause Statesman the Dev was a massive asshole. Just in my supergroup alone there were stories of how he'd mock new players or hit on any chick players. Massive douchenozzle. Positron was a lot cooler of a dude and I'm happy he ended up being the lead in the end.

Anyone know of a MMO that's like CoH gameplay wise? I always loved that fucking game top to bottom

It's fun but the game mechanics are a bit... unbalanced. Some heroes are OP while other keep dying like chumps from having incredibly shitty powersets. For someone like me who likes switching teams often and maxing out lots of chars, it was annoying to be stuck with the same characters except for that one mission where you absolutely NEEDED to use the speedster to not be too late to stop robots from destroying the city. Minuteman himself was pretty garbage.
But I guess it's a way to put varying degrees of difficulty in the game without actually putting them there: try to beat the game with a bunch of characters that can't tank, do damage, or support properly, that's your hardcore mode.

First time I played it was Detroy a mutation tanker god I miss those days

Fucking trillions. My main was made when I was like 14 and he was called El Flamingo. I just thought pink was a neat color when I made him. He had that stupid super gun that the gun blasters used. Out of all my tons of character El Flamingo was never given a real backstory, he was just a silly guy.

Such is the great puzzle of MMO design. Themeparks turn into unsatisfying but addictive treadmills and sandboxes into griefing simulators.

>play Champions
>have a lot of fun with the extremely detailed character creation
>have a fucking blast using the various travel powers
>the combats are shit
>the UI is shit
>the missions are shit
>the item/market system is shit
>the worl-building is meh
So close yet so far.

>Anyone know of a MMO that's like CoH gameplay wise? I always loved that fucking game top to bottom

There is literally 0 MMOs that are like CoX....

Thats why so many people are still upset at it being shut down and are even angrier at NCsoft for refusing to sell the IP

if you wanna take a gamble try roll20 it's a pretty good program, but you'll just end up with randos. but, yeah it is always better to play with friends. Here's my advice

1. You're gonna have to GM at least at the start.
2. How old are you. If you're in high school and none of your friends are interested, wait until college. they'll be plenty of people ready to get into it.
4. if you're older or out of college, talk about it anyways, iim constantly shocked how many friends i can get into DnD just by being friendly.
3. Have a one off session with something accessible like DnD 5e and pre built characters. it'll be easier to make than a full campaign and people will commit to a one time fun night rather than campaign long commitment.
4. if people have fun it just gets easier from there.
5. from there you can move to suggesting different games

Yeah, it had potential and could've been a great game in the right hands, but it was squandered.

I remember people left CoH to go play it and soon they all came back.

That's why I loved CoH. They made it so you could create your own missions and everything, when that game started coming to a close it had the best tools for RP. I remember the hours I put into massive multi-mission quests full of custom villians and everything.

I played on Virtue and we had people who actually "ended" their characters, either by killing them off or giving them some other excuse to no longer be in Paragon/Rogue Isles, so they could instead go play CO.

Then it turned out that not only was CO not a great game, it wasn't anywhere near as conducive to roleplaying as CoX. So within a year a bunch of them started filtering back and having to say that their character came back from the dead or just retconning their exit altogether.

Sounds like something right out of Big 2 editorial.

Ha. Yea everyone I knew basically scattered to the winds after the game ended. A few actually had a working private server for a year or so. Not very populated but who cares. Sadly it was eventually taken down.

just like real comics!

it was one of the last mmos before they turned into button-mashing console style bullshit "action mmos"

I remember Moone and his gang of pretentious douches did that. He came back still expecting to be treated like the King of Virtue (which he wasn't even close to being in the first place) but he never really regained his clout when he ditched the game for Champions and then came crawling back like nothing had happened.

That name sounds really familiar

>. A few actually had a working private server

Nope.

loved the robots and thugs, really fucking loved the zombie masterminds

remember when they gave the 3 minion pets the same zombie barf the NPC ones had, god damn what a sweet alpha strike that gave you from 3 wimpy minions.

He probably means working in the sense that you could log in or create a character and do the most menial of bullshit.

Mastermind was literally the best pet class in MMO existence...

Scripting emotes onto your pets was amazing.

I was GentlemanRobo which I basically copied daft punk but had white and red as my helmet, gloves and boots colors. Cringey when I think about it now but I had heaps of fun.

I was on Virtue for 4 or 5 years and I've never heard of him.

Will try the program out. Thanks for the advice too. Am 100% sure my crowd would only play it for the "quirky working adult" points and be bored halfway through.

Still like reading guidebooks so all is good. Except when shit kickstarts and then vanishes like pic related.

Now this I can agree with. It's remarkable how apparently impossible it is for most devs to make good pet/dot/drain classes.

He was this guy that considered himself the best roleplayer in Virtue, and played a super-serious character with super-serious storylines (his character literally killed off Lovecraftian elder gods in his backstories, not knockoffs but literally 'I killed Cthulhu, fear me' type shit). His group were all hardened PMC types and most of them were IRL military fetishists. Most of his roleplay involved ridiculously detailed responses as if he was writing a novel.

He felt people who avoided him were too intimidated by his superior roleplaying abilities but it was mostly because he was such a complete tool and few people other than his various sycophants wanted to roleplay with a guy that literally took 15 minutes to response with a bunch of purple prose.

Fellow virtue players?

Cool.

My dude was an alien that was obsessed with Barda and Mr. Miracle.

Yes, and just like you we all ERPed with futa catgirls at Pocket D.

It's okay to admit it. We're among friends here... nobody's going to judhe you...

I don't remember that specific person but I remember seeing a lot of people like that on Virtue. Usually a bunch of drama surrounding them.