Why is the media pretending to like this movie so hard?

Why is the media pretending to like this movie so hard?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/AMCHelps/status/938936845399814145
youtu.be/tS2NIFM2Emo
twitter.com/wikileaks/status/905578467173027840
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's a politically safe movie and hipsters love The Room

The Room has become a normie meme. The whole situation is so embarrassing and inauthentic. Omg look how dumb and bad this guys movie is it’s the best thing ever.
The Room is garbage and so is this. Franco is cinematic cancer.

twitter.com/AMCHelps/status/938936845399814145

>Unfortunately the film's release was scaled back and didn't reach as many theatres as originally scheduled.

what went wrong

Just got back from this. It was okay, much rather would have watched the Room. Maybe it would work better as a doc, not a movie.

>go see the first showing
>people sitting to left repeating everything franco says in a bad tommy wiseau accent and clapping at jokes
>teenage girls sitting to the right that have never seen the room saying "that's so funny!" constantly, laughing during the sad scenes, etc.
I guess it appealed to the lolsorandom crowd.

Tommy accomplished his goal of BTFOing Hollywood with The Room. Now they come crawling to him.

Wusses I was a charming oaf.

Franco's portrayal comes off as cruel.

That's too bad. The book is very entertaining.

They made a movie about a terrible movie in a post ironic way, but that failed to attract the ironic audience the original movie had.

Wisseau was*

Wiseau clearly has some mental disability. He's on the autism spectrum or something. I don't like Franco but I think if he gave an honest performance it should reflect that there's something wrong with Tommy.

Coulda been good if someone other than Franco directed.

It's before your time OP, just ignore it.

I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Read the book tho.

>This has been a Jewish Goldstein Production

The Room is halarious. It’s pure garbage and awesome at the same time.
Don’t know why they would make another movie about it. Why not just watch the original?

what are the odds that Tommy is jewish too?

i liked it

They wish they gave the original good reviews when it came out so they give this one good reviews to show how hip they are

Exactly how i felt while watching this. Seems like Franco just did a decent impersonation of Tommy one day and he ran with it with all of his friends. Not a bad movie but I was disappointed.

Also the before credits scene was just a split screen of them reenacting scenes with clips from The Room. What was the point of that?

>Seems like Franco just did a decent impersonation of Tommy one day and he ran with it with all of his friends.
this desu, at least it wasn't adam sandler

>tfw people left before the after credits scene

idiot phoneposter

>James Franco
>Seth Rogen
>thinking it would be good

felt like the movie, at its core is a call out to all those mediocre hacks like franco's little brother. You're not good and not talented yet somehow you succeeded in this peculiar way (ie became James Franco and Tommy Wiseau). This movie was a big brother fuck you to his longer brother. I know I have one and I can tell you he is a little bitch. I also have an older brother, he's pretty cool but not as cool as I want in that James Franco way, ya know? Life is hard.

franco was especially cruel when he portrayed tommy throwing a football. tommy is at least a div II level of throwing capability

only people who are going to like this are the faggots that hopped abroad the room train in the past 4-5years. Not like a true The Roomer like myself.

>seth rogen is in the movie
how can people stand looking at this smug pig is beyond me

he didn't even do the laugh

Maybe acquire fame and success OP so the media will pretend to like your shit.

No one knows

I don't think Franco was too mean. If anything, the book's portrayal of Tommy was way more harsh than the movie. Besides, I kind of like how the movie had Tommy kind of waver back and forth between this kind of aloof loser, and a tyrannical piece of shit. It's hard to pull off a story where the protagonist and antagonist are the same guy.

This. Tommy in the book comes across as bipolar and kinda dangerous.

I'm going to marathon this, what am I in for

You'll wonder how The Room ever was finished

I'm tommy wiseau I don't have to explain shit

Why do you hate your brother? Did he actually do something or are you just an asshole?

Memes
>tfw people in the audience start singing along to rick astley

>Saying that's so funny

I never got that. Why don't you just laugh instead of saying "that's so funny". It's so fuxking fake

nothing really against him. he's fine. but I really got to add Mark succeeded because of Tommay and Franco's little brother would be a nobody if it wasn't for Franco

>this entire post

Do amerifats really do this?

Checking this movie out on Saturday. Wish me luck, anons. Going by myself

I enjoyed it. It wasn't groundbreaking cinema but for someone who saw The Room but never read The Disaster Artist I found it to be amusing. What exactly was wrong with it anyway? I felt like the film served it's purpose well, save for the ending which I found to be disingenuously sappy.

i normally dont like james franco but he did really well in this movie and the idea to recreate a bad movie like the room was really intrestring

James Franco is a garbage actor.

reminds me of how people didn't like scott pilgrim because it was references for sake of references

It's a poor man's Ed Wood but reviews are playing it up it's like some kind of masterpiece.

don't let the redditors hear that though.

Nah.

Because the movie industry loves movies that are about making movies.

Unfunny parasitic joos suck the last life out of something people found funny.

It was always inevitable that a lot of people would end up stumbling across the room. There's nothing wrong with something becoming mainstream and popular naturally.
What's disgusting is seeing this happening and saying, "hey, let's make money off of this pop culture reference to the point where it will be forever changed by us!" After this movie, the room is no longer a thing.
They've ruined it.

this group is actually genius. Not for the quality of their movies, but for the content at certain times. Pineapple Express, this is the end, sausage party, and now this... these are all perfectly orchestrated to be released at certain times for maximum popularity.

I think you did get it, it's a placeholder by people who don't actually find it funny but want to fit in.

It's an old meme that normies just found out about and think they're hip and cool for liking movies that are so bad that theyre good.

It's trendy right now.

The Room was always the mainstream choice of bad movies, though, as it's far easier to watch than most bad movies. Like Wood's films, it's an essentially technically competent production that has a couple of consistently incompetent elements so glaringly obvious that even people with no discernment notice them. It isn't actively hard to watch or dull the way a lot of bad movies are for the uninitiated.

>People are shitting on Franco for helping make The Room more popular

I think the appeal of The Room is that it's a genuine work of art, in a bizarre way. Like half listenable outsider music (like Daniel Johnston). It's not actually difficult to watch and painful like Troll 2. It's not "lol so randum I'm an artists" weirdness either. It's a competently made, mediocre film that is infused with the personality of it's creator, and that's an hilarious, bizarre personality. It's why the book (The Disaster Artist) is better than The Room. Tommy himself is the attraction.

You're 100% on the money about the dullness factor - there are a lot of bad films that have painfully dull long stretches in them.

Something like The Room or Miami Connection is kind of rare. They're bad, but they're also fairly unique and almost "good" in some way because they reflect the creators so singularly.

youtu.be/tS2NIFM2Emo

So for people who've read the book, how does it compare content-wise? I'll be pretty disappointed if they leave out the James Dean fascination out.

The Room isn't that bad though. The Room is a well funded movie made earnestly and with something resembling a base competency. The fact that it's also terrible in all the right ways (bad acting and a story that is comprehensible, and grounded but stupid), mixed with the absolute mystery of the main lead/writer/director/producer/financer and his apparent charisma make it a movie that is actually enjoyable to watch.

>I'll be pretty disappointed if they leave out the James Dean fascination out.
Didn't read the book but that was in the movie

They cut a lot of stuff, like the rotating directors, most of the stuff they did in San Fran when they were filming(like Tommy getting every extra in the scene to have an individual order prepared) and they never mentioned the weirdness of using a green screen when they had all those actual locations they could have used(I'm guessing that Hollywood people by now don't even think about green screens being weird), Greg being parachuted into the role by Tommy almost against his wishes, Tommy being so nice to the lady who played Claudette because they're both people trying to make a start in films later in life(in the film he's a lot meaner to her when she faints on set) and a few other things like the actor who played Peter quitting and was replaced by Steven out of nowhere and Tommy fighting with Chris-R to pay for his damaged shoes and tearing down the sets before being done with them and having to rebuild them over and over again.

But they kept a lot of the spirit of the book there, the friendship between the two of them Tommy and Greg and pushing each other to be better at any cost.

The book was a lot better but this movie was okay.

They do go and visit the spot where Dean died and they watch Rebel Without a Cause together.

thanks, I'll probably watch it as wary as I am of Seth Rogen

A genuinely funny film that will probably make you want to rewatch The Room yet again

That's true, I know normies who enjoy watching The Room. But I bet they wouldn't watch Manos: The Hands of Fate without MST3K (which I have done multiple times)

He's barely in it. He's there and he's playing the "script supervisor" but ends up being back-up director. And aside from being exasperated in every scene he's in, he doesn't do much.

It's made by a bunch of liberal jews

>I don't think Franco was too mean. If anything, the book's portrayal of Tommy was way more harsh than the movie. Besides, I kind of like how the movie had Tommy kind of waver back and forth between this kind of aloof loser, and a tyrannical piece of shit. It's hard to pull off a story where the protagonist and antagonist are the same guy.
>This. Tommy in the book comes across as bipolar and kinda dangerous.

Actually, I think Room Full of Spoons might be meaner than either version of The Disaster Artist, since Tommy is trying hardcore to suppress it.

Is mystery science theatre just an older, more duller version of red letter media or am I an idiot

>longer brother
>I have one
I don't understand. Are you jealous of the size of your brother's dick? Why would James Franco be jealous of his brother?

>Actually, I think Room Full of Spoons might be meaner than either version of The Disaster Artist, since Tommy is trying hardcore to suppress it.

What happened in that documentary?

From what I gather, it was too TMI for Wiseau's liking.

Okay so near as I can tell is Tommy tried to be a hollywood big shot and couldn't get funding because he was weird, then his movie is universally panned and he is made fun of for being weird and then hollywood decides to make a movie about someone and how weird they are?

This is like a movie bullying a human being

Nah, the bullying came a long time ago.

Now everyone's laughing with each other rather than laughing at Wiseau.

but the movie just bullies him and everyone is laughing at a portrayal at him?

In my experience it's fairly common for Americans to sing and dance during any musical numbers that happen to be in the film. Some of the theatres that I visited had wider aisles, presumably to accommodate this dancing. It is also common for Americans to talk, yell and scream during a film. Particularly if they are black.

Nah, it has a somewhat sympathetic view of Wiseau without totally sugar coating things (the movie's bit on the infamous Johnny/Lisa sex scene and the entire air conditioning snafu, for example)

Wow

I do hate /tv afterall.

look at this, you fucking pieces you all are.

holy shit fucking bullshit I swear.

The Disaster Artist was alright, the room is funny.
What is wrong with you all?
Go keep making capeshit threads you faggots.

is there anything worse than something you like that was once niche becoming normie?

you forget to reddit space before your last senetence

Honestly, I don't give a fuck.

It is kinda weird, though. Would be like exposing family members to Throbbing Gristle and Impaled Nazarene.

Too late, i'm newfag redditor

because the media and critics love narcissistic, self-indulgent and pretentious movies about movies. they figuratively and probably sometimes literally jerk themselves off.

Except none of those adjectives apply to "The Disaster Artist"

>Maybe it would work better as a doc, not a movie.
Well that's basically what the book is, so I assume the book was better.

>james franco
dropped

You shouldn't, he's awesome in this

You haven't even seen it, dipshit.

why did you know this

Watch the original with rifftrax instead.

No he's not. He is okay but his acting is the weak link in the movie.

He fluctuates between good and a YouTube impression.

the movie was brilliant, i had a great time watching it

>failed to attract the ironic audience the original movie had
But I'm one of those and I loved it.

>Phoneposter

okay james

>Don’t know why they would make another movie about it

Because the book about the making of the movie is actually solid reading material. I'd even say listen to the audiobook because the impressions by Mark is amazingly good.

According to Assange him and Franco are CIANiggers
twitter.com/wikileaks/status/905578467173027840

Wikileaks is now the national enquire of leaks. Pathetic