Why do you still buy Marvel Comics?

newsarama.com/33843-late-16-sales-downturn-told-marvel-people-didn-t-want-any-more-diversity.html

This is an honest question. Marvel's leadership has shown that they think that anyone who dislikes their current direction is ignorant and that they don't intend to change. Why do you buy their comics?

Is there a comic they write that you think is good enough to buy regularly? What is it?

For my part, I actually do plan on buying Deadpool/Spider-man when the main story starts back up because it's the only comic that reminds me of when I enjoyed Marvel/

Other urls found in this thread:

gwillowwilson.com/post/159094504658/so-about-that-whole-thing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I buy Ewing's stuff and collections

As always: more Bemis, less Bendis imo

But HydraCap is legitimately good as well, but it is quite slow. I feel like there it's Spencer who turned people off with his social media bully shit instead of properly self-promoting.

>implying I buy any kind of funny books

I watch the movies.

I get Power Man and Iron Fist and Ms Marvel. I did get more but they were cancelled, I think Power Man and Iron Fist is as well.

Most of the books I like don't end up lasting long. I'll probably give some of the X-men stuff a chance for my favourite characters.

Diversity isn't their problem. Shitty writing, bad art and antagonistic creators are.

i would imagine star wars comics are the only thing keeping them afloat because they havent been turned into pandering garbage and is still getting new fans

That and merchandise sales.

Moon Knight is one of the best comic runs that I have ever read. It's a shame that it's only going to issue 15. ASM: Renew Your Vows is also pretty damn good.

WHy is Riri's head so fucking huge?

I'm down to single figures in books I'm following. They're mostly 'diversity' ones.

Wolverine and Gwenpoole are the only ones I buy unreservedly, and Silk was until they cancelled it. Ms Marvel and Spider-Gwen I half-heartedly follow but both have the stumbles to varying degrees.

I only keep up with the main X-books for free out of obligation/self-harm because I *want* that line to be good.

I find it hard to believe that anyone on Sup Forums currently buys comics or bought them in the past.

>has never been in /shelf/

The X-books will never be good no matter how many you buy, until one of two things happens:

1) Ike Perlmutter retires or dies, and his replacement doesn't have such a hate-on for Fox

2) Fox sells the film rights to X-Men back to Marvel

Given that Deadpool and Logan were huge hits, 2 is not going to fucking happen anytime soon. On the bright side, Perlmutter is 74 years old and looks like shit.

Why do you keep buying Spider-gwen when they refuse to actually focus on her development instead of a bunch of shitty crossovers? Is it just hoping that they'll eventually come up with a plot?

Spider-Gwen is the only book there that sticks out to me as troubling in the sense that you're wasting your money to me.

I stop buying them when they made Icemam gay

And pretty shit on the franchise.

It's definitely borderline but I like it when it's been good, and while frustrating I haven't hated it when it's lost focus.

You realize that buying it while it's an eventfest just encourages them to keep that shit up, right?

I stopped buying around post Secret Wars. I did read Vision and some Moon Knight comics that were very good, but I only feel apathy towards most of the titles being put by then.

I haven't bought Spider-Man since One More Day. And I stopped following Cap after Bucky gave up the shield. I should catch up. Maybe not Spidey, except for Renew Your Vows.

There doesn't seem like there's any Marvel books that interest me right now.

I basically stopped after I was done with Waid's Daredevil, Fraction's Hawkeye, Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Secret Wars, and Remender's Uncanny Avengers.

I have a love hate relationship with Marvel. I grew up reading and watching Spider-Man and Marvel comics. I've been enjoying a lot of their stuff.

I think their biggest issue is not hiring good writers and artists.

Doing mega crossover summer blow out events that go nowhere. (You can only say something is earth shatteringly game changing so many times)

Fucking their fans and distributors over and over again

Making shitty desicions when it comes to trades and omnibuses. Their back catalogue is abysmal.

Finally relaunching every year. It confuses people more than anything else in my opinion.

Ant-Man was a literal direct continuation with the same writer. Could've just been numbered higher.

I'm reading all the books that lead up to Secret Empire because I think it's good. I think HydraCap was a amazing idea and it's been a fun ride.

I was reading Ghost Rider. It got canned unceremoniously.

The only other thing I'm reading is Daredevil. Seoule is pretty bad with him though.

Holy shit I just noticed that...

The Marvel books on my pull are;
>Avengers
>Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme
>Hulk
>Iron Fist
>Man-Thing
>Occupy Avengers
>The Unbelievable Gwenpool
>U.S.Avengers

Over half of them will almost definitely be canned soon, and one is a mini. There's a few upcoming books I'm interested in, but one is a mini and I doubt the others will last much longer.

You should really try Spider-man/Deadpool. Kelly is hitting it out of the park.

I feel like at some point you just have to accept they've lost it and drop the book for an arc or two until the interviews and solicits start sounding better. You can always go back and pick up backissues, but you can't unbuy issues that aren't fulfilling and a series like this probably doesn't resell for much.

For what it's worth, if something I'm reading goes into event stuff, I sure as hell do not pay for those related books. Fuck that.

Nova, Gwenpool, Doctor Strange and the Sorcerer Supremes and Captain America: Steve Rodgers are super fucking fun
the rest could go fuck themselves though

Funny how Miles is the only character in this image that actually sells.

Just to piss off dcdrones. Still works so I still do it

> 8 SJW characters

Gee I wonder why?

Miles is the best selling of them in the monthly comic format.

Kamala beats all of them in trade sales, though (none of Miles TPBs show up on the Bookscan chart while Kamala has several volumes on there; Bendis only had three books on that chart--AvX, Jessica Jones, and the SW Old Man Logan)

I buy PMIF, Nova and Ewing's stuff, because they're good and feel genuine, unlike 90% of what Marvel puts out.

>Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows
Great Spider-Man elseworld written by Conway who very recently did the 16 issue Canale series and with some pretty decent art work too. I love Peter and MJ together and this book gives me that.

>Spider-Man and Deadpool
Joe fucking Kelly for starters, as much as I don't really care about the current status quo for both Spider-Man or Deadpool, but the book does a pretty good job as eluding to both without being overly obnoxious about it.

>All New Wolverine
>Venom
Honestly, I'm characterfagging pretty hard here, no excuse really.

Don't forget many of those character's books JUST launched.
There's been no time to build a fanbase, OP is demanding we judge their merit based upon how popular they've been by first impressions.
That doesn't prove anything. Christ, he's not even demanding we compare them to DC's most recent original character's launch sales.

These shitpost threads always have this same bullshit faulty logic to justify hating on Marvel.
Why can't these morons learn from being called out on it last time? They aren't actually saying anything valid.

And why the fuck is it Marvel isn't also hiring Russian shills to troll Sup Forums's DC threads incessantly?
It's not as if they don't have that sweet-sweet Guardians' money to spend.

>Why do you still buy Marvel Comics?

I don't

>Is there a comic they write that you think is good enough to buy regularly? What is it?
I am actually buying Nova. But I guess I could stop now because there's no way this book will survive the year with or without my support.

>And why the fuck is it Marvel isn't also hiring Russian shills to troll Sup Forums's DC threads incessantly?
You don't actually go into DC threads if you think there aren't D*sney shills astroturfing them. Christ almighty, any Injustice thread is like half "you should buy MvCI™ instead fellow Four Chan!" posts by volume.

>And why the fuck is it Marvel isn't also hiring Russian shills to troll Sup Forums's DC threads incessantly?

I do it for free

I dont. I sincerely hope comics die out altogether. We had a good run, but now instead of leaving iconic characters to rest with dignity and coming up with new, original, meaningful, creative ones, we've shat all over the classics. Why make a riveting female character with an original story when you can just go "lol thor's a woman now, you go girl!" and insert your socio-political beliefs in the terrible writing.

Fuck comics, let them die and maybe in a decade or two they can be reborn as they were meant to.

I stopped once Vision ended.

Because I won't let Nova die.

And like most X-men fans, I'm a battered housewife when it comes to this franchise. Weapon X seems like the least awful new book

Nice obvious LIE as your example.
That REALLY sold me on your credibility.
So I'm just going to start crying you a river now...

Nope. Already satisfied with my Thor: God of Thunder series. Thank goodness it was before they started this whole social justice crusade. Let the feminists and activists buy them since they're aiming for them and not just creating stories. Who am I but some racist, sexist, bigot anyway.

I expect more queer, nazi punching, donald trump protesting and muslim heroes. It would be unprogressive of them not to. And we wouldn't want that.

Marvel is so fucking lucky the mcu has been a success. They are complete shit.

I'm a DC guy now. Marvel killed all their good books

because in Italy they're dirty cheap since I get 3 USA comics for 3,50€. That being said, I barely read anything Marvel related these days...

Captain America is Hydra because Hatsune Miku cosplayer made him bad.

The biggest problem with Secret Empire is that Kobik is utter shite, even more retarded than Useless-sees.

Why not use an actual villain like Set, instead of yet another useless another plot device character?

> Making lots of solo books that are doomed to fail.

> Not making anthology books with two or more characters, thus greater fanbase to draw upon.

Marvel are truly stupid.

Well I'll keep buying it regardless because I like it and want to support Loveness and Perez.

Plus the fill in issue with Hepburn looks sick.

>buy
That ship has sailed.

I thought Aphra was gay.

I don't

Dropped all MARVEL maybe 3 years ago? Or 2? I'm not sure.
Stopped bothering to pirate MARVEL for nearly 2 years now, don't even read storytimes of the new stuff.

Well, there are many alien species in the galaxy...

I never gave a shit about Marvel outside of Transformers, and even then the only comic I ever bought was the Armada omnibus.

>Why do you still buy Marvel Comics?

I don't. With Black Widow ending, I'm out.

no one buys comics

only the movies matter

i only buy the trades to the ones i want

I only buy trades nowadays. Just got Vision recently, and i plan on getting the X-Men legacy omnibus because that series was so good i wanna have it on my shelf as well as in singles.

Haven't purchased a floppy from 'em since... oh jeez, must be either She-Hulk or All-New X-Factor or X-Force or Elektra.

Spider-Man/Deadpool.

i just stopped all together, vision was my last interesting read, but when it ended i had nowhere to go, nothing lured me in, seemed interesting or wasn't wrapped up with a shitty event, so i gave up.

it has been pretty freeing, so i don't really mind it, shit has to end someway, might as well be me the ender.

I dropped Thor after the first issue of Whor came out and I decided it wasn't for me, and after 'The Unworthy Thor' I dropped The Punisher just out of principal. Marvel won't be getting another dime from me.

I don't. I've been buying 70's, 80's, and 90's issues in the bargain bins like West Coast Avengers and ROM Spaceknight because fuck current Marvel.

>Captain America is Hydra because Hatsune Miku cosplayer made him bad.

What?

>Why do you buy their comics?
I do?

it took me a second to realize why this looked familiar and now I'm dying inside

My Marvel pulls
>Spiderman 2099
I like the character but miss the future, it really was an essential part of the first series
>Renew Your Vows
It's really interesting, but I do miss my Mayday
>Moon Knight
It's just really good

I'd consider She-Hulk's Hulk but I don't see it having a future

>want to support Loveness and Perez.
You realize they don't get more money regardless of sales?

I tapped out on them a long time ago. They can keep their agendas and let the mouth breathers buy that trash.

The only Marvel book I buy now is the main Star Wars series. The last superhero book I bought from them was Steve Rogers Captain America #4 (a Civil War II tie-in).

>buying comics

They continue writing/drawing the comic if the sales continue and it doesn't get cancelled.

gwillowwilson.com/post/159094504658/so-about-that-whole-thing

>1. This is a personal opinion, but IMO launching a legacy character by killing off or humiliating the original character sets the legacy character up for failure. Who wants a legacy if the legacy is shitty?

>2. Diversity as a form of performative guilt doesn’t work. Let’s scrap the word diversity entirely and replace it with authenticity and realism. This is not a new world. This is *the world.*

>3. Never try to be the next whoever. Be the first and only you. People smell BS a mile away.

>4. The direct market and the book market have diverged. Never the twain shall meet. We need to accept this and move on, and market accordingly.

>5. Not for nothing, but there is a direct correlation between the quote unquote “diverse” Big 2 properties that have done well (Luke Cage, Black Panther, Ms Marvel, Batgirl) and properties that have A STRONG SENSE OF PLACE. It’s not “diversity” that draws those elusive untapped audiences, it’s *particularity.* This is a vital distinction nobody seems to make. This goes back to authenticity and realism.

>AND FINALLY

>On a practical level, this is not really a story about “diversity” at all. It’s a story about the rise of YA comics. If you look at it that way, the things that sell and don’t sell (AND THE MARKETS THEY SELL IN VS THE MARKETS THEY DON’T SELL IN) start to make a different kind of sense.

We need more Joe Kelly at the wheel, we also need a KH

because I'm too stupid to know better?

Surprisingly sensible considering the source...

.... I like Gwenpool?
Out of everything being churned out, that's the one book I've consistently enjoyed.

Though Deadpool/Spiderman has also been really good.

I still buy Marvel Comics because there are books that haven't been tainted by bad editorial.

>Punisher
>Moon Knight
>Nova
>Uncanny Avengers
>Bullseye
>and Doctor Strange when I remember that the book exists

I like Gerry Conway and RYV. I could not care less about the rest.

I buy variants I like. I liked Civil War II

I just buy omnis OP. It is a sickness.

Don't buy the Sean Ryan run. Not worth it.

They should pander to people buying comics, insteadof what theyre douing now