I remember seeing dunkirk and being like "that was good" but remembering literally no details about it...

i remember seeing dunkirk and being like "that was good" but remembering literally no details about it. Anyone else experience this?

Because it was shit

No.

It was a fun thrill ride but it was about as deep as a special ed swimming pool
there's not a drop of blood in the entire film, compare that to the D-Day scenes in Saving Private Ryan.

I remember a couple of great scenes (the opening in the city, the sinking of the ship, the oil fire), but because of the random, nonsensical reshuffling of the chronology the rest is sort of a non-distinct blur.

yeah its called brain fog, or pre alzhies

brexit and puotin wins a fourth term. roussia wins again ha ha ha. battle of sevastopol was the superior ww1 film

I think that's to its credit. It portrays war in a scary way with literally no blood.

They build up those three converging stories so much I was expecting something amazing to happen when they clash. But the ending was so casual, nothing happened at all. Should've had a better heroic moment at the end there

Hacksaw ridge is a war movie. Dunkirk is boring trash

why is that a good thing? Omitting blood entirely just seems like a money decision to keep it PG-13. Guys are blown away by bombs, but there's no blood on the beach at all.

Hacksaw Ridge was hilariously unrealistic. The Mel Gibson trademark.

It's a Reddit movie.

Nolan has always been style over substance, and this is his most style-over-substance flick yet.

Because it's new, autismo. Feels fresh without all the gore.

Tom Hardy scenes were KINO.

Hacksaw ridge is a very bad flick and it's really weird that people pretend it's good. I get it, Mel's a cool guy, but that film is just bad. If you want to go all Christian, watch how it's done in Silence.

All the scenes between Garfield and the girl in that movie were the absolute cheesiest of any recent movie. I seriously don't think Hollywood has produced a movie with that much schmaltz since the early 90s. And it all felt so out of place with the over the top gore in the war scenes. What was Gibson thinking?

Horrible dogfights though. Not a single memorable one.

Yeah the dogfights were dogshit. Did you see their hitscan machineguns? They literally wait until the dude is exactly on the crosshairs to fire instead of leading the shots like you'd have to in real life.

Hacksaw Ridge is absolute top to bottom shit though. Dunkirk on the other hand is the best movie I've seen in 2017

>Dunkirk on the other hand is the best movie I've seen in 2017
Damn, how shitty must've this year been?

I think the second best movie I've seen in theaters was Baby Driver or that Wolverine flick so you tell me

How is it new to make a movie without blood??? That's done all the time to keep the age ratings down. Not everything has to be a gore-fest but the movie drew particular attention to the cleanness by omitting blood entirely.
And don't call me autismo again...

Name a great WW2 movie with no blood then. Not a drama though, an action film with the horrors of war and all that

I think I've seen like one other 2017 movie and can't even remember which one it is.

>paths of glory was shit, w-where is the blood!
Shall we address the reddit capeshitter invasion now?

The pilot saves a bunch of lives like twice, how isn’t that heroic?

Like I understand what you’re saying and for most movies I’d agree, but Dunkirk was about raw accuracy and the pilot did plenty to earn his chops as a badass.

This, the parts where he’s just staring at her and mumbling how much he loves her just hurts.

Same with the Longest Day, or any of those classic WW2 flicks. Absolutely tasteless kids.

The theme of the movie is the perception of heroism. The guys on the beach were thinking they were going to be received as cowards once they get home because the only thing they did was to try to save their own skin giving zero fucks about anything else, but they were received as heroes. The RAF guys were absolute heroes killing nazis left and right and protecting the ships but they were received as cowards because they didn't get there quick enough. And that retard that dies in the boat gets praised as a hero in that local paper too, even though he literally did nothing but dying pointlessly.

The movie was a deconstruction of heroism, pretty on the nose at that but if there is a place in the world where a fucking Nolan movie can get over the head of people claiming to be film """"conneisseurs"""", that place would be Sup Forums

The plane fight was good and the opening scene was very gripping too.

Well it's not shown in a heroic way. Those final dogfights are completely anti-climatic when you realize they are actually the final battle the whole movie was building up to.

>What was Gibson thinking?
Probably 'these cheesy scenes will really emphasise the stark contrast to the brutal war scenes I have coming up'.
And that is a valid strategy - it worked in Blue Velvet, why wouldn't it work in Hacksaw Ridge?

But the war scenes are even cheezier

The scene with tommy and gibson making their way from the beach down the mole with Zimmers score and the waves crashing is, in my opinion, one of the finest moments of cinema ever produced.
Im a 56 year old film buff for all those concerned.

Of course, that just fits into the post seen here which says the theme of the movie is the deconstruction of heroism and what exactly a heroic act entails. Half the characters were fucking cowards or witless morons and they were praised left and right, and while the RAF guys were never seen as such by the public, WE know they were heroes.

And yet what they did seemed utterly dull, an average day at the office. Anticlimactic as fuck, as you said, but that’s the point; heroism isn’t all killing a billion dudes or doing flips while shooting half the Luftwaffe in an afternoon. Just destroying a dive-bombing Stuka before it can kill maybe a dozen guys and thus doom yourself to capture is excessively heroic, it was selfless and noble and everything that defines a hero... And yet, watching it? Boring. I suppose what Nolan was going for there was heroism is as much context as it is action.

I gotta say this is Zimmer's weakest score yet.

as far as his Nolan collabs go, yes this is the most underwhelming score by far

fantastic movie

it's as cold and lifeless as a kubrick flick and i think that's what it tried to be. too bad because the only war flick kubrick made is merely remembered for the dialogue he didn't write and nolan insists on writing his own shit

you mean 56%

in the end it was autism

but i think it sealed the history channel reenactment category at the oscars

apart from the very last scene that is somewhat emotional, paths of glory is actually pretty shit.

longest day has humor and memorable scenes. nolano is incapable of doing either

>paths of glory is actually pretty shit
The scene with Kirk Douglas telling that general to fuck off and calling him a degenerate is probably better than your favourite movie though, considering your terminal case of shit taste

No, I'm not retarded

>i remember seeing dunkirk and being like "that was good"
this is how I know youre lying
its a boring flick

"Boring" is not a valid argument, it only says what your mood was while watching the film.
Same as saying "it was fun", that does not indicate anything about the actual quality of the film whatsoever.

That's a nice attempt to justify it, but it doesn't change the fact the movie is anti-climatic. I don't like anti-climatic movies. Do you like anti-climatic movies? Does anyone? Just because it fits the theme doesn't make it less anti-climatic. That's like saying MGSV not having the final mission is great because it gives you the phantom pain and reinforces the theme. Yes it does, but it also makes the game anti-climatic, which nobody likes.

>I don't like anti-climatic movies.
>Sup Forums references
Don't worry there is a new nu Star Wars flick coming out

>referencing video games when talking about a serious drama
Go back to capeshit, you fucking pleb. There you'll find all the explosions and climax to your heart's content.

It's amazing how nolan managed to make the dialog 80% exposition with so little of it.