Does Game of Thrones accurately convey the nature of medieval-era combat and warfare?

Does Game of Thrones accurately convey the nature of medieval-era combat and warfare?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20160320004907/http://realfighting.com/content.php?id=75
youtube.com/watch?v=YhwIrONyEzg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nope.

/his/ here
Only this fight

of course not

No!

>watch the Jon Snow Ramsay battle
>horses literally running into a wall of men
honestly fucking stupid

I'm guessing that the answer is 'yes, in the earlier seasons'?

>teleports behind you
>"Call me Gollum... one more time."

100 years of film and television and the most accurate representation of medieval swordsmanship is a short film two Bulgarian autists posted on Youtube

Italians, burger

Game of thrones really shit the bed in fights from s6 onwards. While the other battles either weren't shown or made sense with a bit of cliche stuff like the super timely arrival of the Tyrells in Blackwater in the first seasons, the battles of s6 were shit went it came to logic and tactics and stuff. Battle of the bastards was a shitheap with JOHN SLAY YASSSS and everything in s7 besides the caravan one was hilarious. The worst by far was the coincidental island in the middle of nowhere in the north and the lotr esque rescue bit. I was literally laughing at that point.

it certainly conveys medieval-era boring grey/blue color filters

Color wasn't invented until the 20th century, silly

Nope, sword fights usually ended up with one or two swings. Boring as fuck if a tv show.

Its all the same

Not so much, the choreography on GoT is generally pretty terrible and has been since the get go. The only competent stage fencer on the cast is Kit Harrington. Sean Bean was as well but his only fight was against Jaime, whose actor was so bad at it that it kind of made Sean Bean worse by association. He's easily the worst stage fencer on the show, which makes it all the more ridiculous when he's supposed to be the best fighter in the world.

>Shitty 10 years old ninja assassin
>accurately convey the nature of medieval-era combat and warfare
LEL

I dont understand how an outward swing with a longsword could be stopped by a fencing sword/shortsword.
pls dont just say muh parry

COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF ACCURATE DEPICTIONS OF SWORD COMBAT

>Ancient combat
Prologue by Richard Williams

>Medieval combat
Kingdom of Heaven
Adorea's Longsword Fight Duel

>Early modern combat
The Duelists
Rob Roy

this

my mom worked in an ambulance shop and she said when it came to knife fights both guys would instantly die if one even said he had a knife

>giant wolves
>dragons
>magic
>zombies

What the fuck do you think

Depends on what your threshold for bullshit it. It is certainly not an accurate depiction but some of the fights are certainly a serviceable approximation. But you would have to look at the individual fights and then even at the different elements of said fights and EVEN THEN you will often get different opinions by knowledgable people.

The best example is the Tower of Joy scene. I really disliked the dual wielding scene for example, I thought it was complete and utter nonsense (I have a history degree) but some of the usual suspect youtubers who really know what they are talking about actually didn't dislike it that much. Sometimes stuff likes that comes a bit down to matter of taste.

The Battle of the Bastards has a bunch of not so good (the arrow shooting) to downright silly (phalanx?!) elements but generally speaking I think its a fairly realistic depicition of the being in the thick of the chaos of a medieval battle. Again, people may disagree with that assessment completely.

I wouldn't overthink stuff like that as long as its not super obviously bullshit. You don't have to be a history professor to realize that the Sand Snakes fighting scenes are just a load of shit.

Realistically it couldn't be. The thing Arya's using is called a Smallsword, which typically weigh two thirds of a pound. Brienne is using a Longsword, which typically weigh three pounds. The physics of it simply don't work, unless you imagine that Brienne is going easy on her.

are you suggesting the weight and strength of swords and their users are completely different to reality just because fantasy beings exist?

why are they autists?

It doesn't matter, user.

>The thing Arya's using is called a Smallsword

thats not a smallsword, mate.

you are right about the rest tho

>You don't have to be a history professor to realize that the Sand Snakes fighting scenes are just a load of shit.
dem tiddies tho

>I have a history degree
>doesn't specify his area of knowledge
>takes opinions from fucking youtube ecelebs seriously, just like every retard who pretends to know history

god, at least try next time

Bc are eurofags lol

>I really disliked the dual wielding scene for example
Dual wielding is something that was done historically, but not as far as I know with arming swords like in the Tower of Joy scene.

dont give us a bad name please.

Some of Brienne's swings look like they'd be damn near fatal if the connected despite it being a practice sword.

The one with tom Roth and Liam neeson was good

*tips fedora*

Other people might be knowledgeable too. Some of them even may have a youtube channel.

You're showing your own autism by assuming that they're autistic.

>Does Game of Thrones accurately convey the nature of medieval-era combat and warfare?
kek
No.

>it certainly conveys medieval-era boring grey/blue color filters
/thread

>thats not a smallsword, mate.
It has a triangular cross-section, how isn't it a smallsword? What else would you call it?

>Dual wielding is something that was done historically

I know. Its not enough to say "it existed historically" and some point in time, and some location, in some specific social context, conducted in a certain way - none of which has any resemblance to what they were doing in GoT.

Just take a look at the pic you posted and then take a look at the GoT scene.

The fight could end after one or two swings, but the fight itself could last for quite some time.

The human body is pretty resilient and there are plenty of accounts of people being hit with a mortal wound but living long enough to kill the other guy as well.

web.archive.org/web/20160320004907/http://realfighting.com/content.php?id=75

The two swords weren't used in the same time period.

>The two swords weren't used in the same time period.
bit annoying. What sword even is it? a rapier?

Eurocunts

>Turkey
>Europe
what

>how isn't it a smallsword? What else would you call it?

you know what, i think you were right after all. mea culpa, i mixed things up

>Germany

missed that bit.

>Early modern combat
>The Duelists
>Rob Roy
Is that all there is? I just watched The Duelists and really feel like watching more of the same.

How do you think they will depict combat from today 600 years from now?

God it's so ironic. To atone for the holocaust they imported thousands, if not millions, of jew hating immigrants.

soldiers literally record their time on duty so hopefully with accuracy.

obviously
arya can totally parry brienne with that kebab skewer

>shaky cam

DROPPED

Reminds me of the fatso who uses similar logic for staying fat throughout the show.

Not implying anything, but horses can be trained to do that.

Are you referencing dark souls or am I exhausted

close enough. but clearly aryas combat style is from esos which supposed to be india/spain. whereas briennes combat style is medieval

This webm still triggers me beyond belief. It's worse than the Sand Snakes fight.

Arya is using a smallsword and Brienne is using a longsword. Longswords stop being used around the late 16th century while smallswords didn't exist until 18th century.

Potop aka The Deluge. I've never seen the whole movie, so I don't know if it's good or not. The saber duel in it is great though.

dropped

god they fucked up that scene so FUCKING BADLY

WHERE THE FUCK WAS OSWELL

WHY WAS HE DUAL WIELDING LIKE A RETARD INSTEAD OF SHITTING ON THEM WITH MOTHERFUCKING DAWN

WHY WAS NED TALKING LIKE A RETARD

fucking hell man

>Does Game of Thrones accurately convey the nature of medieval-era combat and warfare?

>muh fantasy show taking place in another universe isn't historically accurate

>it's real
>it's not just the actresses fucking about between takes
GOT fags will defend this.

>This webm still triggers me beyond belief

to be fair, it shows how quick and nible arya is and her using that against brienna is pretty alright. its only the stupid parries that give nothing to briennes strenght superiority that make it seem so silly

heh we'll show these kuffar how peaceful we are

el goblino...

shit that's why slavery is a recent invention of the white man

i posted the same filename on Sup Forums my fellow Sup Forumsirgin

Hey, look at that, I found a vague behind the scenes shot without the ugly blue filter.

Thoughts?

>le realism
>le tax returns
>but lets also include retarded fight techniques and little girls being strong beyond their physical capability
>lets also include dragons and zombies with nonlogical physiology because why not

even more ironically, these imported mudslimes are causing European Jews to emigrate to Israel en masse

you realize you captured lady stoneheart in the background yeah?

GOT fags are the ones shitting on it

I've been using that filename since the episode leaked in August

brainlet here. How can that goblin's needle stop a full swing from a bastard sword carried by a person twice her size?

Goblin strength.

It cant

Pretty sure theres a strong message about powerful women and girls there though.

The fact she smugly holds her sword behind her back during dialogue breaks is just so idiotic

GoT is a fucking joke

this is not accurate at all

>most accurate
>here I'll miss you by a wide margin and wait for you to catch your breathe and recover

youtube.com/watch?v=YhwIrONyEzg

Does she actually stop any attacks? I thought giant dyke bitch was obviously swinging way off the mark and goblin girl was just prancing around.

most real sword fights would only last a lest than a minute
real samurai sword fights ending in seconds

What's inaccurate about it my dude, the moves and stances are all lifted straight from the treatises

This is choreographed so how can it be accurate, you fucking mongoloid.

People don't generally swing away from someones body or fight in a sequence

There are usually delays, unsuredness, and fights aren't some kind of dance

He said "most accurate" not "entirely accurate". Obviously the most accurate thing would be a HEMA bout and even then it's not going to be 100% because the participants aren't actually trying to kill each other

maybe if your some kind of pussy

>People don't generally swing away from someones body
This is a thing in Longsword fencing, it's called a retreat

Obviously no stage combat is ever going to resemble a real fight but as far as getting the strikes, stances and footwork go it's all historically accurate.

"Trained"

IF by trained you mean have blinders put on so they cant see the wall of men then yeah I guess they can.

1. All on-screen fights are going to take some liberties with how fighting actually plays out

2. You're giving fighters a lot less credit than they deserve. If you ever watch fencing or boxing or HEMA moves can look sequential because fighters are conditioned to react in a certain way to certain moves through muscle memory.

This would be especially true of fencing since in the past people learned it from books. "Oh, he's performing an Oberhau, I should counter with an Ochs", etc.

El Trasno*

>(I have a history degree)

So are you working fast food or trades?

That isn't what blinders do you big dummy.

Warhorses were bred and trained to be insanely aggressive, in some cases they couldn't be stopped from charging the enemy, even if their rider wanted to. They would kick and bite and actively try to protect their rider if he was dismounted.

Do you have any idea how hard I was when Cersei kissed diddiesnake goodbye. I find her slow death within sight of her mother incredibly arousing. Yikes, someone recommend me some Guro.

I've never seen anything do that in my life, it's impossible.

This

probably not

>game of thrones
>medieval era

Pick uno

But fatso constantly shuts down all criticism by claiming it's historically accurate to real medieval times and muh tax policy