Cosmic Horror General

Post your ideas for bringing this nigh-unfathomable concept to the big screen.

Because Hollywood sure as fuck hasn't been able to pull it off (though not for lack of trying).

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0448134/
youtube.com/watch?v=Alt4MCkk-F0
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StringyHairedGhostGirl
youtube.com/watch?v=bRJTbGc_1uk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ear-shattering fart noise

dr strange tried and did a bad job

lovecraftian elements

Go back you pathetic faggot.

>Post your ideas for bringing this nigh-unfathomable concept to the big screen.

Don't bring it to the big screen because it is ill-suited and will be compromised by the medium.

Black user here
imdb.com/title/tt0448134/
You're welcome

Something about finally having the ability to witness the Big Bang/moments before it. Looking through the telescope causes gradual insanity. Hallucinations while looking at primordial space. Throw something in there about how matter knows when your observing it and behaves differently. Sound track has lots of Tibetan throat singing.

Kino

You'd have to do some Event Horizon/Blair Witch shit. Never actually showing the monsters/demons/hellscape/whatever and just showing the effect it has on people. That's it, that's what made those kinds of stories kino in the first place.

>hey let me steal your ideas

don't take the bait people

Why has nobody outside of the internet seen Event Horizon? The closest I've gotten is someone saying they might have seen it on basic cable once. Do normalfags have shit taste or am I just overrating it?

>BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
>WHAT IF CTHULU WASN'T JUST A STORY
>shots of cthulhu rising from the water and smashing cities
>tom cruise running with a little girl
>tanks have no effect on him!
>BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
>aaaaah the madness
>Cthulu Rises
>coming 2018

Living shadows that attach to your shadow and hide in them. They only exist as 2d things and can only move along surfaces like regular shadows. They control the people they are attached to by rising above their shadow and puppeteering them. I call them, the shadow puppeteers.

They are a hive mind and seek to incorporate as many people into it as possible. Their main goal is to open a portal to the abyss and let in the head of the hivemind, the creature casting the shadows through dimensions, The Man Cloaked with The Shadows. He's main adversary is a fellow Old One called the Woman Cloaked With The Sun. there's also probably A third party called The Beast or The Red Scaled Dragon. Yes it's all very biblical.

Thats all i've got so far and it probably won't go any further. since its abit tired and lame IMO.

fuck off nigger

First part I liked , second is kinda corny but i guess expanded on in a more fantasy setting it would work

FUND IT

Is it good?

It's one of the best movies of its genre user, people just haven't realized it

The normal normal fag isn't a huge sci-fi fan and won't go out of his way searching IMDB for lesser known sci-fi movies and actually watching them.

Truly kafkaesque

this actually sounds pretty rad

Anything with shadows just makes me think of the vashta nerada from doctor who

Just so you all know I've stolen both of these ideas and will be making millions of them and there's nothing you can do about it.

Yeah i mean if a disney capeshit movie can't pull off horror what can?

Oh ok. Which one do you like better

So... something like 2001 and Altered State?

I like the mythos behind the shadow post but I like the cosmic horror behind the primordial space post so combining the two would be the best course of action.

Based Kojima.
youtube.com/watch?v=Alt4MCkk-F0

>The primordial space is casting shadows through time because it wants to come to now.
>it enters our universe and because it is the condensed matter of everything that ever was or is or will be your mind breaks by looking at it. you can only look at its living shadow.

I will fund it myself.

AND THEN!!!!
>those who go mad by looking at it Intend to destroy the universe via collider/nuclear technology because the being is a conscious form of entropy

Hmmm i posted a Merchant here and the post evanish

>The film is about to end
>we finally get a clear look at it
>its a 10 year old girl in a dirty white dress, pale with long dark hair partially covering her face.

Enough.

I laughed audibly. Why can’t you let us have fun

Has this trope been used recently? I know it was everywhere a few years ago.

It's not QUITE as common as that tbf.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StringyHairedGhostGirl

It is lame though and not very scary.

>tfw have great idea for cosmic horror story but zero experience and skill in writing, which is what carries a low budget flick
what do frens

Cthulhu is too normie tier now. Too many tumblr fangirls.

Your movie also sounds like a Godzilla/Pacific Rim job, a large being isnt unfathomable

I'd watch it tho. Especially if Tom Cruise goes insane during the filming

Animation. Make storyboards and narrate it

So I had this idea for a character in a film. Maybe a protagonist, maybe a side character.

They're in a mental institution for schizophrenia. Ever since they were a child they've seen a strange figure standing in the corner of whatever room they're in. It has been present for their entire life as long as they can remember.

The figure is constantly making noises, but the noise has changed throughout their life from year to year. Some years it was quiet but most years it was making constant, drawn out noises like a hum or a scream.

As a teenager the character started to keep a journal of what noise the figure is making to try and work out some kind of pattern but to no avail.

Throughout the course of the movie the character will figure out that they are words, words spoken so slowly that they're drawn out over years.

Finally, the character figures out what the words say. They're a message. The character is an being that exists in the fourth dimension who attempted to speak to a human but spoke to them from the fourth dimension, speaking to their entire life simultaneously instead of just one moment.

The message is a warning or something, but as the character figures this out, they realise that once the message ends, so does their life

Just a film a french new wave-esque film with the casting of the characters changing every scene, the sets being normal but strange i.e a mcdonalds placed inside a fancy restaurant etc then add some extras doing autistic things to show reality bleeding unto itself

Basically sort of like the later seasons of Louie

seconding this

>there's nothing you can do about it
we can watch the kino

In the right hands, there's an entire story arc of Dr. Strange that would scare the everloving shit out of normies. It kicks off with water spirits that that can possess people through their body's own water content, turning them into nigh-unkillable talking zombies, and nothing they have to say is anything you want to hear. They're from Outside.

The first half of the story shows an expedition landing on a foreign planet. All seems to go well, but soon a bizarre wave of paranoia begins to creep in. Insanity grasps the explorers.

After the base falls silent, we'll see an another group, going to check what happened to the previous explorers. They find an empty base, filled with strange growth, like something than might live under a deep sea, but more alien.

After they locate the security station, they find out footage on how the whole base descended into some sort of bizarre madness. Not the killing ind, but the kind of that turned everyone into some sort of stammering, drooling idiots doing bizarre things before they just walked away from the base.

Anyhow, the new team follows the trails of the lost explorers, only to find them from a deep cave, where a black underground sea stretches beyond their vision.

This is also the place where they meet their destiny. No-one of this new group is seen ever again.

This movie isn't meant to be gory, but it is meant to be disturbing in other ways, mainly in showing what has happened to the lost crew and what is going to happen this new one as well. It's going to end with a notion, that no-one will be safe, as something has awoken and they now are aware of the existence of humans.

>The film is about to end
>we finally get a clear look at it
>it's John Malkovich

>it's a washed up Hollywood Jew writer here to steal ideas from Sup Forums once again

if you think the pic you posted is a representation of cosmic horror you're an idiot and will prefer some sort of godzillarized space cthulhu shit over anything actually successfully evoking existential dread

Even the books about this shit weren't actually good.

>If you read this your mother will die post: the movie

Pretty sure either SCP or Dr Who did that concept

Martyrs did it

I liked Dead Space's moons, this group of moon sized beings that turn planets' organic matter into another moon being

Or some godlike being that has civilizations sacrifice millions/whole planets to feed it

Cosmic horror is tough as fuck to pull off with such a non-involved medium like television/film.

It would work much better with a book (where your own imagination and fears fill in the gaps) or a game, where you're actively involved.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong some day, but I just don't think it would work.

A Lovecraftian thread... On MY Sup Forums? Nice!

Hello, newfag

Why couldn't it?

The reason cosmic horror would be difficult to do in film is because of the nature of cosmic horror, and yes; it's been done before with relative success (though I can't remember the name of the movie I have in mind off the top of my head).

The whole point of cosmic horror is a force that cannot be overcome in any way. In other words, the good guy diesnt win, and the bad guy is indifferent to the good guy's plans.

Inescapable time loops, manipulation of reality, cosmic entities; these are the things that a cosmic horror movie must revolve around.

If the bad guy can be beaten, it isn't cosmic horror.

Think Dr Strange minus the eye of agamotto and minus the premise that the bad guy needed a crew of rubes to do his bidding to allow him into out world.

This is why ideas like the "cult of cthulu" arise. You can't fight it; your only hope is worship

Also, my idea for a good cosmic horror would be a sequel to Primer... Abe is dead, and the story is told from the point of view of Interpol chasing the now rogue Aaron

>A down to earth jewish boy is awaiting his barmitzvah
>family and friends and families friends are pretty chill jews
>he doesn't like the zionism and religious and racial superiority undertones he catches now and again, but he ignores it because its so mild
>a few goyim are weary of him and he's not sure why. Just pushes him closer to his community.
>he does everything thats expected of a good little jewish boy
>movie is basically about what it means to be a jew in the modern world
>boy has mild anxiety for the upcoming ceremony, but not sure why
>movie ends with the ceremony. All normal. Then they usher him through closed doors and pic is the final scene.

>though I can't remember the name of the movie I have in mind off the top of my head
Cabin in the Woods

Spoiler: Aaron wins
>I don't know how to spoiler despite being here since '06
>fight me

>tfw I write weird fiction stories from time to time just for the sake of it

Feels good man

this is what bloodborne did to the minds of normies huh?

It was sort of done in comics. See: Anti Monitor

The Graduate?

>why couldn’t it
its not horrifying and cosmic horror doesn’t have to do with not being beaten you fucking pleb pseud bugman retard
>Dr Strange
capeshit faggot manchild
wow so clever, jews must be demonic because they worshipped a fire deity hurr hurr, ancient aryans didn’t also worship the same fire and storm dieties agni and indra before they ever worshipped sun gods like the god of the new testament
fucking stormnigger retard unthinking parrot faggot

Isn't the upcoming Alex Garland movie (Annihilation) attempting to do something along the lines of 'cosmic horror/body horror'

I mean he wrote Sunshine/28 Days Later/Ex Machina/an early draft of the Halo movie so he knows what he's doing

Post it.

wanna co-write my flick? I can be the vision man and director and you write the actual stuff

I remember seeing it on free to air tele in Australia when I was a kid. Was scary shit

so like that Junji Ito comic when a fuckin star starts devouring the planet? except for the tibetan throat songs

Weird fiction or "weird" fiction? Because if it's the latter, I also enjoy penning futa on male fanfics of GoT.

>spot the jew

I'm not even joking, this is the Ultimate Bad GUy in the Warcraft Universe.

They call it the "Void Lord" or "Void God"

no

You clearly don't understand cosmic horror if this is the argument you are making

Jew detected

This Canadian flick did it right.

Antichrist, but its judiasm instead of feminism.

Last shot his of the kids face. Camera zooms and we see reflected on his eye pic, writhing

Not gonna share them here, sorry. Plus, I have yet to translate them into English.

I'd be down if I were unoccupied right now, which isn't the case. I could give you a couple of tips, though. What's the general idea?

The former, I'm afraid.

This is why Hollywood will never get close to nips.

what the hell pic is representing? some ancient jewish evil god?

That's their true form.

Moon(2009) style setting with an inevitable natural threat closing in on the protagonist making him go insane with the dreadful realization of the cosmos.

lol what an idiot you are
no i understand it it doesn’t have to do with unkillable big bosses you stupid manchild vidya nigger

>intro
>Half-mad sorcerer "protagonist" is shown opening a portal that manifests as a crack in reality with a blinding white light pouring through it. Powerful wind rushes toward the rift eventually pulling the wizard inside. The rift closes. The sorcerer is shown being expelled upward through the rift, black on this side, onto a white plane.

>Sorcerer lies gasping for absent air on an endless plane of white tiles, each as large as a man. They stretch off in all directions but through an odd fisheye effect, they never reach a vanishing point, instead, they seem to grow just enough in size to always appear to be the same size no matter their distance from the viewer, curving almost imperceptibly upward to remain in sight as they recede into the distance. As he calms himself and adjusts to the alien environment, he focuses his attention on the tile beneath him, and sees that when viewed up close, it has a milky translucence, like a foggy windowpane through which he can see the tell-tale spirals of galaxies. The impression is that the wizard, now standing, is perpetually at the bottom of a globe unimaginably huge in size. The Sorcerer realizes that he has no need for air here, and he begins to walk toward the only feature in this alien landscape - the source of the blinding light, what appears to be a color-inverted supermassive black hole. The "hole" is white, surrounded by a ragged nimbus of purest black, the whole of it seemingly half-embedded in the plane, giving it the appearance of a setting "sun." The brilliance of the light washes out the edges of the tiles, making the "plane" grow entirely featureless in the direction of its source

this

I miss the dead space story, too bad EAfags ruined it.

I have no idea what's going on but I'm intrigued.

>At first, all is silence, but as he approaches the "sun," a faint sound is heard, growing in volume until it resolves itself into unintelligible screaming, angered shouts, soul-crushing moans of despair, snarls, hisses, screams of ecstasy, the sound of a predator at its kill, the idiot munching of vermin, just an infinite chorus of violence, depravity, madness, and predation. At first, he thinks it's coming from the "sun," but as he gets closer, he realizes it is emanating from a tile in his path. When he reaches it, he leans close to look, and through the tile he sees a mass of innumerable bodies, all naked and writhing, feeding upon each other like an infinity of interlaced ouroboroses composed of both agony and pleasure, an infinite chorus of the Damned. He tears his eyes away, back to the only other feature in this featureless place - the "sun." As he watches, the black "corona" begins to rotate toward him, not a celestial object at all, or at least not only what it first appeared to be, but a single cosmic eye, the corona its monstrous slit pupil.

>From everywhere at once, a single voice spoken from countless throats ranging from elephantine rumblings to insectile creaks begins to speak a single, deafening word in a language, though never heard, is horrifyingly familiar, and the word it speaks is "truth."

have a pity (You)

For almost ten years, this is the only dream I ever remember having. On average, once a month or so.

Just speak it into a microphone or do a green text thing but on paper.. start with a rough idea then bang away at it.

Great fucking movie. An inverted radio drama.

Sunshine is buttocks.

I love this movie but how is it cosmic horror?

Yep, sounds like some studio scrub writer was called in for pitch meeting about
this "Lovecraft shit all the nerds keep talking about". And he has no fucking ideas.

OP, go play the silent games and watch Jacobs Ladder.
That's what you want to be aiming for, but without the cop out of it being angels or afterlife/limbo types of situations.

A truly "cosmic horror" will not be known by it's face, but by how it's presence distorts reality and human perception.
Where a person's inner psychological landscape gets pulled out of them and made real, because this is how the entity communicates.
(any telepathic entity would live in a world where reality and psychology are intermixed as a kind of "solid language")

Watch this video, then others in his series for an easy-to-digest take on how Silent Hill and it's inspirations make Cosmic Horror a workable on-screen thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=bRJTbGc_1uk

Once you know about Solaris, you'll understand Silent Hill.
But ya gotta do some homework, buddy.

Ito is the king of weird horror.

>Dude, white people, wtf?

It will probably be garbage, but I could see this possibly working if Peele framed white people as Elder Things. he won't

>absurd, surreal, weird
yep
>cosmic horror/body horror
not really

Sounds like The Stone Tape by Nigel Kneale (the guy who wrote the old Quatermass cosmic horrors for British TV).
I think Prince of Darkness by John Carpenter may have been one of his too?

A team of scientists investigate the theory that ghosts and hauntings are the result of "stone memory".
Recordings of the past in certain kinds of stone walls that play back under the right conditions.

Bunch of creepy stuff happens, but the main science dude gets pissed off and starts super-blasting the stones with his
science-ray device and succeeds in erasing all but the oldest of old recordings, and causes the stones to play back
recordings of beings from the age of primordial creation, which starts a breakdown of reality.

It's low budget as fuck but fucking hair raising. Apparently it was legendary back in the day because they only ever played it
once on TV at Christmas and nobody knew what they were in for. Finally released it on DVD about 30 years later.