The real reason Sup Forums hates Rick and Morty

I submit the idea that the only reason that Sup Forums has such a hateboner for Reddit and Memey is because it's popular with normies. I remember when season 2 was airing how Sup Forums were having good conversations on the show. But over the span of the hiatus the show got a lot more popular with many people outside of the normal cartoon fan circuit. They sold shirts in Hot Topic, had appearances on the Simpsons and gained a following on Le ddit itself, the bastion of normies. Sup Forums much like all of Sup Forums, is so anti-normie that it's rise in popularity turned this once enjoyed if not beloved show and turned it into the very example of lowest common denominator bullshit. The show does have its problems, but as does any show. But the main reason it gets nothing but hate in most threads is because you all are disgusting fucking hipsters who hate popular things.

Wrong subreddit buddy

>REEEEEEE NORMIES

Upvoted

And because Season 2 is where it picked up more popularity and filled in quality at the same time

Everybody knows this.

Also, the reaction of everyone on this site is always amplified because everyone wants to be the one that pushes the next "epic meme".

>it's another "BAAAWWWW WHY DON'T YOU CONTRARIANS LIKE MY SHOW"
>'YOU JUST HATE IT BECAUSE IT'S POPULAR BAAAW"
Jesus Christ you people are insufferable
At least post this on the other Rick and Morty threads we have open right now.

Mainly it's because it's one of those shows that normies watch to feel superior to others. Robots are angry at them, because they see themselves being superior to normies and can't stand someone who's a normie from their perspective doing the same.

What the fuck is that thing? did a Morty and a Rick get combined? Wouldn't it just kill itself?

Upvoted

Can we just be fucking honest, Sup Forums? Anybody who uses Sup Forums nowadays is a redditor whether they have an account or not.

>What the fuck is that thing? did a Morty and a Rick get combined? Wouldn't it just kill itself?

You either die a Morty, or live long enough to see yourself become the Rick.

Downvoted

There are legitimate criticisms of the show, but the main criticism I always see is some fucking stupid shit involving the word "reddit"

NO I DON'T! YOU DON'T FUCKING KNOW ME! I'M NOT A FILTHY NORMIE FAGGOT! HOW DARE YOU! RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I pingpong from reddit to Sup Forums to tumblr all day. Facebook sometimes. Now that's a haunt for normies.

Funnily enough, today was the first time I ever saw Rick and Morty mentioned on reddit. I mean I imagine there's a dedicated subreddit for it, but on /animation and such it's never mentioned.

anyhow, reee away if it makes you happy.

YOU JUST SAID YOU GO TO REDDIT. OPINION COMPLETELY DISREGARDED. GB2REDDIT FAGGOT NORMIE!

Holy shit how hard is it for you fucks to get over yourselves ?
You are like an obsessive ex-girlfriend going "WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME ANYMORE GOD WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM YOU JUST WANT TO HATE ME"
If, as you say, Rick and Morty started receiving hate in Season 2, is it not indicating of a problem with the show itself ? Is it really us that deemed it "lowest common denominator bullshit" ?
All you do is whine about our multiple complaints with the show (who, mind you, many of us actually did use to like until we saw it go to shit or grew out of it) and cry about "MUH EBIL CONTRARIANS" as if you were appalled that people did not like what you did (as if you had never been to an imageboard before).
Get over yourselves.

If Morty actually grows into Rick I will be very angry.
I can take a lot of narrative shit, but not that.

He DID wear blue pants.

I'm okay with people not liking it, I just wish there was a place to talk about it without the constant interjections of "muh Reddit" please do not suggest reddit, I grew up here and don't want to adapt to the culture of another site I'm hoping with enough spam, we'll be kicked off of here and just go to /trash/, where people kind of let sleeping dogs lie- even though they can be into literal shit, inflation, sleeping dogs, what have you.

I actually liked season one. Season two is noticeably different because the creators started to treat the show differently because if its popularity.

I genuinely don't visit Reddit because idiotic opinions are more tolerated there and you aren't allowed to say heinous things to idiots.

I don't write strongly worded letters, but if that happened I might.

This, unless you're being ironic, in which case both of you fuck off.

Im not a fan, and while I don't hate it but posts like yours that imply I'm a poopy head if I don't love and defend it don't help.

Its reddit: the show.

No thanks, I'm free to travel the internet as I see fit. ;^)

Contrarianism does play a large role in the hate R&M gets on Sup Forums at large, though you'll never hear the guilty parties admit it (obviously).

The problem is that R&M happens to be one of those shows that inspires either extreme love or hate. The normies overhype it as a 10/10 comedy and consider it an extremely intelligent show, neither of which are true. But in response, much of Sup Forums takes the exact opposite stance, that it's a 0/10 absolute trainwreck that has absolutely no merit nor funny moments, which is also untrue.

This doesn't discount the very-valid complaints and the fact that some people just have different tastes and don't like it, though.

>Make everyone on Sup Forums assblasted

OOOOOOOOOOOOO CAN DO

Make Tumblr leave Sup Forums

>I want a safe space
Well then you can go back to-
You know what, nevermind, I'm joking. You gave me an actual reply so I'll give you one.

You could go into the actual Rick and Morty threads. The ones that generally revolve around discussing a particular aspect of the show, instead of bait threads.
Like these
Hell, even Sup Forums, where the hate for Rick and Morty is far more prevalent, has Rick and Morty threads that are mostly okay without complaints about Reddit.

Meeseeks is not God.

It was certainly a day Morty would remember, and he did fall into the butt dimension
And Rick was remembering the butts in the guys coffee cup

This.
I'm not dissapointed about someone not liking the sane things as I do, I'm dissapointed that 75% of the complaining is just regurgitating the same buzzword over and over again without giving a single bit of actual criticism.

People who use reddit or tumblr or other meaningless buzzwords as a complaint are retarded.

Gb2reddit

Yes, because people growing to dislike it has nothing to do with the show's drop in quality as of season 2 or it's shtick getting stale after the first season.

Is it's some of it's backlash exaggerated because the feelings of the people that dislike it are exacerbated by the constant cirlejerk that doesn't acknowledge it's flaws? Yeah, probably. That doesn't make any and all criticism of the show contrarianism. It just means people don't like it, and want normalfags to shut the fuck up about it.

Why do you hate normalfags so much Sup Forums? Who hurt you? Normies aren't THAT bad you know...

I like normies fine, I don't like faggots like you who use ad hominem as your only argument for why I should like a show.

that's ironic as people are using ad hominem as their only argument for why you shouldn't like the show.

I see what you're saying but no. It makes me furious to know I am always sharing a board with most people who also have active twitter, tumblr, facebook, and instagram accounts.

A normie put me in a mental ward for 5 1/2 hours because he misinterpreted my words and got off scot free

Sup Forums likes to bitch about how much they hate the show but they'll have a massive stream thread that will fill up several times over every single night a new episode comes out. They've been doing the same thing since season 1.

>pingpong from reddit to Sup Forums to tumblr all day. Facebook sometimes. Now that's a haunt for normies

You're telling me.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't argue people shouldn't like the show, let alone use ad hominem to convince them.
Like the show, don't like the show, don't try to force either on others like a fag.

I like Rick and Morty, but I do admit that the "greatest thing since sliced bread" reputation it has with millenials who constantly strive to be intellectually validated kind of pisses me off.

Like, where were these kids when Futurama aired?

This.

Even if some of you mellowed out because you started coming here. We don't want to help you guys, just want you to play in traffic.

>Like, where were these kids when Futurama aired?
Not born yet

Sup Forums go fuck off and die

I personally love the show but you need to fuck off back to your subreddit where you belong faggot

It's not about being a normie it's about how everyone on reddit is pure cancer and takes the fun out of everything by making them into cancerous "memes" and spreading them around so much that they become saturated, overused, and unfunny.

I was watching Futurama.
I think R&M is probably more comparable to Red Dwarf though.

>Sup Forums hates popular thing
when will you ledditors let this meme die already? you say it as an excuse when you can't begin to comprehend the criticism given by us and just disregard things as just "sour grapes" and what not.

This is obvious to anyone who isn't a complete contrarian. It's just predictable at this point.

I don't hate Rick and Morty, I actually kind of like the show. I hate other people who like Rick and Morty because they treat it and Bojack Horseman like their God's gift to the world.

>I hate other people who like Rick and Morty because they treat it and Bojack Horseman like their God's gift to the world.
Except if you read the thread you'd see plenty of other moderate fans.
"Not like other fans" is becoming the "not like other girls" of the internet.
Nobody is waiting in the wings with a big shiny trophy for you.

It went to shit when it tried to have MUH DEEPEST LORE and relationships issues.

Its becoming generic

Nobody was asking for a big shiny trophy, m8

>reddit
>tumblr
>facebook

>somebody actually spent time making that comic
>trying to force unfunny memes this hard

I hope you didn't make that, user

nothings sacred once it gets a funko pop figure

Normies are the scum of the Earth. unfortunately, most of the Earth is scum to begin with. So really, everything sucks and the only way to keep your sanity is to hate everything you like.

Do people actually buy these?

It's like a red flag for tryhards

>The real reason Sup Forums hates Rick and Morty
jesus fucking christ, OP, you're a massive faggot.

it's dead simple: contrarians

I'll say this much; I like Rick and Morty just as much as I like Samurai Jack, Tron Uprising, Sym-Bionic Titan, Motorcity and Green Lantern: The Animated series.

I could go on and mention the older shows I like going all the way back to my first favorite cartoon when I was a kid: any cartoon with Pepe Le Pew

And yet, they seem to sell like hot cakes.

It has been popular for normies since S1. Sup Forums hates it becuase Sup Forums eventually hates everything. Just Sit back and watch it happen to SJ.

>It has been popular for normies since S1
that's really not true, it was only around S2 (or late S1) that it became a reddit normie craze; before that point, it was revered on Sup Forums and Sup Forums

Pretty much what I do at work, except for tumblr. Do most people on this site legit just browse the chans and nothing else?

There are a ton of tryhards out there. Especially with the propagation of "fandoms"

Probably. The more I read Sup Forums the less I like R&M. It's like some sort of hive mind vibes.

OMG can I catch a homosexuality by reading Sup Forums?!?!

It definitly wasn't as popular as it is now but S1 R&M was 100x more popular with normies than other non mcfaglen adult swim cartoons like Mr. Pickles. Mike tison mysteries is pretty popular with normies though.

I wouldn't mind owning figurines, knick-knacks and paddy wacks from my favourite things. However I'm a little self conscious about buying such things. As I feel that if I'm going to dump money on something like that it should be decent in quality or something I would proudly display in some context.

I agree though, those funko pop figures (and similar ones) just feel like cash grabs.

That's just Dan Harmon shit in general.

He realized a while ago you can make something popular so long as it's inclusively nerdy, like Community, or his podcast Harmontown, or his tabletop show Harmon Quest.

It's sort of like how there's a metric shit ton of people out there who have played DnD like, once or have watched people play it and try to hold conversations at the LCS with folks who have been meeting up for years with a regular group about it.

The normie perceives nerds and dorks as being intelligent and also want people to look at them and consider them to be intelligent.

It's why Big Bang Theory works, it's why the MCU works, it's why Rick and Morty works, it's why so many youtube gaming channels exist.

Commodification of "nerd culture" and being intelligent by association.

We didn't hate it when season 2 was airing. There were a few not so good episodes but that was it.

You're right.

What is there to gain from using Reddit?

I'll admit I use Tumblr and other art-hosting sites just for artists, but that's it.

By the literal dozen.

I worked at a Hastings before the company flopped and people would show up and buy 12-20 of those ugly fuckers.

Usually the same three kinds of customers, too. Normies trying to buy nerd cred, scalpers who were just there to buy the store exclusives and flip them, or people who probably also bought a shit load of beanie babies back in the 90's who think eventually their complete funko pop wizard of oz set will be worth anything in 10 years.

My best friend irl is a massive reddit user, and from my conversations with him it boils down to two things.

>Moderated discussion as opposed to anonymous shitposting

and

>Reddit is just superior

While moderated conversation CAN force people to focus, it's also the quickest way to end up with an echo chamber, and pretty much every reddit user will hit you with the "there's a REASON they call it the front page of the internet".

>it was revered on Sup Forums and Sup Forums
>Sup Forums

That explains everything, that place can only end up with shit and people trying to shit on something popular just because of "not muh".

Godfuckingdamnit.

The thing that bothers me about R&M is that, despite all the gore, nihilism, and violence, it's not considered "edgy" at all, because it's "ironic" and "bright and cartoony".

If any other show had the amount of blood and gore R&M has, it would get laughed at and written off by normies and nerds alike

Also
>Hates the show
>Must be a contrarian!

Kill yourself OP

>If any other show had the amount of blood and gore R&M has, it would get laughed at and written off by normies and nerds alike
you're deluded

If he doesn't understand this basic concept than he's just an intellectually dishonest clown. Both are echo chambers, but a system that literally hides unpopular opinions is going to be less effective at factilitating genuine discussion.

yep, unsurprisingly enough it was Sup Forums the started the whole 'reddit and memey' thing.

How is this a good thing? Forum moderators are literally the worst kinds of people. Especially in a community driven by "good boy points." Shit breeds the worst kind of circlejerkers.

I'd rather shift through mountains and mountains of shitposting if it means that I get raw, unfiltered thoughts and opinions. You can be having a heated argument with a person in one thread, and then suck the dick of that same user the next. You can write intelligent and well thought out replies, or shit out a low quality shitposts if you're in a different kind of mood. No egos, no fishing for upvotes and karma, post counts, and no bullshit so long as you follow the basic rules. That's why this is the only site I use for discussion with randoms. It (and other lesser chans) offer an experience that every other social media integrated clusterfuck couldn't dream of.

And fuck any normalfag loser who doesn't understand this concept.

>idiotic opinions are more tolerated there

Sup Forums and Sup Forums exist, so I doubt that

That's censorship. user's normie friend is pro-censorship as long as he meets the status quo and it gets him laid, in a nutshell. Those people are the worst.

Epic thread, fellow redditors!

oh shit things are about to go down

I bought a couple SU's for a Tumblrina friend of mine's birthday a while back.

well you have to remember most people on this site have boring lives or no life at all.

>this meme

Hello from 10 years ago time traveler! Longcat is loooooooong xD

A lot of people actively boycott social media so yes. But most are just here for the memes.

You really do need to get into the mindset of a Redditor to understand why this show is so popular. These people have never heard of adult animation in their lifes that wasn't stuff like Family Guy, it was completely alien to them. And they can't laugh at these shows because they consider these shows stupid. They want a show that isn't necessarily smart or funny or well-written, but that appears to be to appeal to their surface-level taste. Because these people live for that mindless self-validation. They don't actually understand what makes for good writing or good comedy, nor have they ever picked a book about physics. They want to pretend they do so and circlejerk themselves, that's what matters. Rick and Morty is just perfect for its demographic: these same college-age self-important Bernouts who "fucking love science". The entire foundation of the show is built upon the dichotomy between "silly sci-fi humor and references" and " things are super deep and tragic bro". This pseudo-intellectual "nothing even matters, I'm insecure about existence, we are all going to die" bullshit that R&M shits out in almost every episode is what appeals to it's audience. The show doesn't actually have the tact to even begin to offer an interesting presentation and discussion of any philosophy, so it spouts these edgy teenage catchphrases. Nevermind the bean-headed, noodle-limbed unexpressive character design, or how the story is non-existent and only comes up when the writers beg you to feel something for these characters so devoid of substance, or how the entire show is a trendy forgettable scenario of the week memefest with just enough sci-fi references to trick kids into thinking they are smart for understanding them, or how the characters have somehow been reduced to even more obnoxious caricatures than before, none of these things matter. What matters is that it appeals to the millenial redditor audience, and that's what's selling Rick and Morty

>No you're wrong

Cool argument

Shut the fuck up.

>robots see themselves as superior
You do know that it isn't so?

>screenshotting your own post from yesterday

This is so sad.

Nigga, posting your own arguments won't help that much if you reek of Sup Forums shitposting.

How about to simply admire the show due to interesting writing, surprising ideas features in episodes? What's more it has really non-standard approach for protagonist.

I use 4chanX, it would've had these dotted lines if it was my post, still if your only argument amounts to "s-samefag!" then don't even bother replying you swine.