No Uncle Ben or "Great Power…" Mantra In Spider-Man: Homecoming To Keep Tone "Light"

>We thought that, to keep this fun, light tone, as soon as they have to have their, like, 'Let's remember our dearly departed father figure' -- it derails that a little

comicbook.com/marvel/2017/04/03/uncle-ben-role-spider-man-homecoming-revealed/

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbook.com/2017/04/03/jarvis-returns-spider-man-homecoming-costume/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Disney strikes again.

of course the mantra's not it we already had it in the very first first spiderman movie

they'll put it in but make it different like the second first spiderman movie

I bet Tony's gonna give it

"Does he have to get bitten by a Spider? Spiders are icky and we do want female viewers."

Good. I don't want another one of these. Just jump right into action, I don't want any more origin hints.

Everybody knows what Spider-Man is about anyway.

Cutting out Ben?
As in he doesn't exist or his death won't be shown, even in flashback?

This is going too far, Disney.

>action.

He's not allowed to punch in this movie.

No Daily Bugle either

>there’s at least one Marvel institution, one particularly close to Spider-Man, that will not be featured in Spider-Man: Homecoming and that’s the Daily Bugle, the New York City tabloid within the Marvel Universe that employed Peter Parker as a photographer for his pictures of Spider-Man.
>"...if we do do a Daily Bugle, we want to do it in a way that feels contemporary…"

meanwhile there will be more Iron Man stuff in the movie

Pony-Man?

so?

he didn't punch in Civil War either

> I HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME SHIT REGURGITATED IN EVERY FUCKING MOVIE, ORIGIN INCLUDED

I'm as autistic as they come here and even I pity you

>No Uncle Ben or "Great Power…" Mantra
>No Daily Bugle either
>He's not allowed to punch
...what was this movie about again?

And the Raimi Series just keeps getting better.

And just when the last trailer brought some hype back to me.

What the fuck Marvel/Sony?

>No Daily Bugle either
You have two choices.
1. No Daily Bugle
2. Someone other than JK Simmons playing JJJ

Which is going to bring down a bigger shitstorm

Real reason, they can't get an actor as good as J.K. Simmons.

So he'll swing and kick a bunch?
Will there also be a vampire who craves Plasma?

>>"...if we do do a Daily Bugle, we want to do it in a way that feels contemporary…"
Fuck. God no contemporary almost always means cringy as fuck attempts to be hip.

>...what was this movie about again?

Well...
>Iron Man/Tony Stark in a major supporting role
>Happy Hogan
>Pepper Potts (rumoured)
>Tony creates all of Spider-Man's gadgets, costumes, etc… including a Jarvis system which he talks to like Iron Man does
>Vulture becomes a villain because of Stark and is more-or-less an Iron Man villain in this universe

The movie is about Iron Man and his amazing side-kick Spider-Man

>Will there also be a vampire who craves Plasma?
"Sup Morbo" "DON'T CALL ME THAT"

>2. Someone other than JK Simmons playing JJJ
JK Simmons is the perfect JJJ, there's no way to top it, the only thing they can do at this point is turning the character into a sexy angry MILF.

>The movie is about Iron Man and his amazing side-kick Spider-Man
It's like you never saw any of the Wolverine-Men movies

>is more-or-less an Iron Man villain in this universe

Wrong.

Course they're not gonna have uncle Ben. This isn't another origin story, he was already active for some time before Civil War.

>JK Simmons is the perfect JJJ

Look, as shit as Sup Forums's tastes are, when they do "perfect casting" threads Simmons takes top and no one dares disagree, regardless of genre

I don't mind any of those.

>Stark comes up with "friendly neighborhood spider-man"
Now that makes me mad.

>No Uncle Ben
>No JJJ
>More RDJ for some reason
They can't keep getting away with it!

>movies about a group of mutants, one of which is the most popular
>the same as a movie about two superheroes with virtually nothing in common

>Toomes is less than thrilled when a government-backed company, owned by Tony Stark, takes over his contract (after some sort of accident). Backing up Vulture are Shocker and The Tinkerer, played by Bokeem Woodbine and Michael Chernus. Now out of work, Vulture and his ragtag crew of ex-employees begin reconfiguring all the weird alien tech they've found over the years into weapons too powerful for local law enforcement to handle.

His origin is therefore directly tied to and triggered by Stark

That's because he was basically perfect for JJJ and has been the voice of the character for years now in the animated stuff.

>>We don't want Spider-Man.
>>We want an irresponsible quipster idiot.

>I don't mind any of those.
OK, so now Peter Parker is a kid with completely average intelligence who got lucky and has nothing else going for him. At this point shouldn't it just be Miles?

>Spider-Man 2
>Uncle Ben is revealed have been killed during the alien invasion
>there's footage of Iron Man accidentally killing him

Just say that it's Iron Man 4.

>there's footage of Iron Man accidentally killing him
Fund it.

His origin is tied to Damage Control, which is vaguely tied to Stark.

>At this point shouldn't it just be Miles?
>also has Ganke
Good. Bendis' OC getting BLEACHED.

I was already bothered by the amount of tony I was seeing in the first trailer and how much an impact he was supposed to be having on Spidey. But it seems to be a little over the top now.

>Just say that it's Iron Man 6.

Broken clocks are right at least twice a day.

Only thing that keeps Simmons from being perfect is we never get a private scene where he admits part of his hatred of Spiderman is his feelings of inadequacy. Which admittedly would be a lot harder to do seriously in a movie than a comic.

>"I'm your uncle now" - Tony

>quipster
THAT IS SPIDER-MAN AND HAS BEEN SINCE BEFORE YOUR PARENTS MET YOU FUCKING RETARD

Disney hates father figures. It's evident if you saw the new BatB

>>Spider-Man is no longer motivated through the guilt of Uncle Ben's death.
>>He's not motivated for the fame of becoming an Avenger.
>>Spider-Man is now a glory hound
>>Nobody would care cause they just want to see Spider-Man quip with the Avengers.

He still built the web shooters and fluid on his own

>retreading all this Spiderman lore we've seen a dozen times

Good. We all already know this shit; there's no reason why they need to waste time on it.

>creates the web fluid and builds the webshooters
>Attends a elite school for geniuses and excels despite his responsabilities as Spider-Man

>average intelligence

HIS QUIPPING MUST BE TEMPERED WITH AN GENERAL SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY AND/OR INSECURITY!

>there's no reason why they need to waste time on it.
They don't need to.

Just a montage during the opening credits would've sufficed. They already did something similar in the Incredible Hulk.

>retreading all the key aspects of Spiderman lore which defines the character

I agree that not everything needs to be redone, but Id rather see the MCU's take on those elements than replacing them all with Stark

the mark of a good spider-man story is the theme of peter's responsibilities and the sacrifices he must make in order to maintain them being present anyway, you don't constantly need to retread the mantra

"with great power comes great responsibility" is more than a great quote, it's the foundation of the character, and it doesn't need to be repeated verbatim if the story nails peter's characterization

This. Having Iron Man be the core of Spider-Man is pretty insulting.

Not to mention, in a decade when people rewatch the MCU, they're going to be baffled as to why Spider-Man skips his origins.

I can understand not going with the full blown origin this time round but I get a horrible feeling that they're trying so hard to distance themselves from the Raimi and ASM movies they'll just skip most of the classic spider-man material all together.

>No Bugle
>Flash a rich, academic rival
>Not-Ganke
>Barely any of the side-cast except Liz and Brant
>Iron-man everywhere

At this point was it even worth getting the Spider-man back?
They could have just done all this and changed the rest of the names.

I buy Iron Man being some kind of inspiration, but making Peter super hero life revolve around him is fucking disgusting.

>we have removed all the characteristics of Ditko's Spider-Man so we don't have to pay royalties to him
>but boss, Ditko never wanted royalties!
>...

>We thought that, to keep this fun, light tone
>what we're trying to tell is this sort of fun story
>it stops becoming a fun movie about a kid trying to be a kid.
That one user on Sup Forums was right, fun is a buzzword and you've allowed it to do this.

Hell, it kind of makes Iron Man his Uncle Ben.

SHUT UP!!!!!!

I FUCKING SWEAR IF TONY DIES IN INFINITY WAR FOR SOMETHING PETER COULD'VE STOPPED AND GIVES THE POWER-RESPONSIBILITIES SPEECH I'LL FUCKING RAPE KEVIN FEIGE!

>completely removing the central theme of the franchise for the sake of "fun"
Fun-fags need to be hunted down and shot. Shit like this is why Teen Titans Go is the only thing that plays on CN now.

>Nolan will never make a Spider-Man Noir movie ;_;

>comicbook.com/2017/04/03/jarvis-returns-spider-man-homecoming-costume/

>As learned by ScreenRant, Stark’s version of the Spider-Man costume will have many different features that are locked away behind the ‘Training Wheels’ protocol, meant to guide Parker through some baby steps on his way to becoming a full-fledged hero.

>Asked if Spider-Man’s costume will feature a voice speaking to him inside the mask, producer Eric Carroll responded positively.

>“He does. Which surprises him, because he doesn’t until Tony deactivates that… deactivates the [Training Wheels] protocol,” Carroll said. “So the suit starts doing a bunch of stuff. You know, it does a holographic interface, and things like that.”

>“But probably most notably, it starts talking to him, and he goes, ‘Oh, this is weird.’ And he starts asking it stuff, but he’s not super slick or Tony Stark smart, who invented the OS and did all this. He’s a kid,” Carroll elaborated. “So he’s like, ‘Um, how do I get to where that thing is?’ And it’s like, ‘Um, I don’t know. Pretty much drive? How are you going to get there?’ And he’s like, ‘Um, if I didn’t have a car, let’s just say, how would I get there?’ And it’s like, ‘Well, if you walk…’ And he’s like, ‘No, OK, alright… I guess just give me directions and I’ll figure out the HOW I’m getting there.’”

The more I hear about this movie the worse it gets

>spiderman would be so much better as a Marvel propert-

I'm hearing a lot of weird stuff about this movie, but I'm still reserving my judgment until it actually comes out.

well spiderman 2 also took a lot of liberties with a certain mechanical-armed villain and it turned out pretty good

The only thing more stupid than this shit, is the idiots defending it.

>Spider-Robin
Stark might be a cunt, but Bruce is cuntier.

Even ASM at least had the Bugle exist and referenced it. From the sounds of the interview it seems like they want to make it an internet blog or something.

it will be a Buzzfeed knock-off or something.

>10 Reasons Why Spider-Man Is A Menace

No. And it's not up for debate.

Jesus Christ, this sounds genuinely terrible.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that this film is looking like it'll be bad or the fact that Spider-Fags will proclaim it the best Spider-Man film.

>Quip Stark shows up
>Listen Spider Guy
>audience chuckles
>Your uncle died because he probably tried to stop a guy stealing milk or something
>audience laughs
>I-it didn't happen like that!
>audience is exasperated
>Whatever you say underoos
>the audience laughs so hard some are rushed to hospital

>>Tony: "Alright kid, pull your pants down"
>>Peter: "Mr. Stark...I-I-I don't know-"
>>Tony: "Come on Frodo, it's time to be bottom bitch"
>>Peter stares in confusion.
>>Tony: "...Frodo? Like Lord of the Rings? That film trilogy-look, nevermind-"

>He's not allowed to punch in this movie.
wat

You remember in the 90's when a franchise was translated to film and they butchered everything about said franchise?

THIS is what this film feels like.

Yes. And it's not up for debate.

>S-shut up! It's just like the Ditko comics you idiot! You know, the ones where he was bullied by an Indian, had a young aunt, a suit with black basketball lines and uncle Tony!

>You remember in the 90's when
don't you have anything better to do with your time grandpa?

Reminder that Uncle Ben telling Peter that was a Raimi invention.

Also
>complain it's going to be an origin movie
>movie doesn't feature emblematic origin story
>still complain

>contemporary
Daily Buggfeed?

>>Predicted he'd be the annoying fat kid from the first trailer.
>>Ends up the annoying fat kid.

The fact that people have so much blind faith in this film just tells me how delusional Spider-Man fans are.

Why is it that every new tidbit we see or hear about Homecoming makes it sound like it is going to be a train wreck?

Why is this particular movie so full of this shit when everything else went smoothly?

The salt is glorious.

To bump limit we go!

it's not blind faith, it's desperation

Or just denial. The fact that every dipshit from Double Toasted to Movieblob thinks that this film is going to be the best film of the year just shows how delusional Spider-Man fans are.

>No uncle ben
Why is this a bad thing? We don't need to see his origin again for the third time.

Without the presence of Uncle Ben, our Spider-Man is just
>>Oh Mr. Stark, can I join the Avengers? I hear they make a lot of money!

It's not like he doesn't exist anymore.

Uncle Ben wasn't in Spider-man 2 or 3 either.

This is not a Spidey origin story. He's already Spider-man; he already had his Uncle Ben moment. You don't need Ben in every single Spider-man story.

Kek, Spider-Man is with great power comes great responsibility. Without that it's not even Spider-Man.

You don't need to rehash his origin every fucking time. Nothing whatsoever wrong about this. Or do you bitches complain about not having Uncle Ben flashbacks in every arc in the comics too.

There's a difference between
>skipping showing the origin
and
>ignoring Uncle Ben ever existed
Spectacular basically did it right.
The only referenced it briefly in flashback at the start but that they kept the obvious influence it had on Peter.

Um...actually, Uncle Ben WAS in both Spider-Man 2 and 3. In 2 he had that heavenly talk with Peter where Peter gets on of the car on him, and 3 has him get shot by Sandman.

Are you fucking retarded?

>They talk about [Ben], absolutely. It's not... it's not a huge thing that I want to go into too much, but there is an acknowledgment that there was a Ben,” Carroll said. “He's not around anymore, for sure. They talk about that. We don't go into any specifics. ... We're implying he's dead. We have not at all, again, gone into trying to change his origin story.”

They don't ignore him; he's just not in the movie.

I don't get why everyone is so down on this movie.

Good. I've seen two spider-man origin story movies. We all know that great responsibility comes with great power, lets just get on with it please.