So hasn't the last episode basically confirmed that any character development that Rick (and pretty much any character...

So hasn't the last episode basically confirmed that any character development that Rick (and pretty much any character in the show) supposedly had is null since the writers only care about what's funny and improvise?

Kinda ruins the "impact" of pic related which was hailed by Redditors everywhere as the darkest thing they've ever seen on television, or even the act or Ricks humility at the end of season 2, since it was revealed that he had planned to get himself caught in the first place.

Also I find it weird that Rick constantly acknowledges that he's just a character in a television show but he still acts depressed as if he has real problems. You can't constantly break the fourth wall while also trying to have the audience relate to the character. It doesn't work.

He only breaks the fourth character every first episode of a season it seems.

And yeah, I don't really like that Rick's character development resets itself, or how most of the serious plots in Rick and Morty reset themselves. We still don't know what is going on with Evil Morty because that was swept under the rug in Season 2.

This episode isn't canon.

the writers probably realized that wrapping up character's problems wouldn't be good for the longevity of the series.

>He only breaks the fourth character

Which one is that?

what episode is this?

Just get to the part where you blame the female writers so Sup Forums and /r9k/ can get here and ruin the thread, thanks.

That's why I'm a little jaded about the series. S1 felt amazing but then I realized in S2 for them to keep the humor decent they would have to maintain the status quo indefinitely, which as you said dulls the effect of the character development.

That said, I think destroying the Galactic Government, the Council of Ricks, and kicking Jerry out of the house is enough change to keep this season fresh. However it was a lot in such a little amount of time. It makes for a nice hook but leads me to doubt there will be any meaningful events until the end of the season.

im in the boat of waiting and seeing if they do anything with it, the writers seem to have a habit of setting things up, only to subvert it later on, and seem to make it a philosophy to try and defy expectation, even if they fall flat on their face.

We have two roads

One
>its not cannon, and its really just an april fools joke

Two
>Rick is just fucking insane, hes ruled by the emotion hes in right then, whether it be saving Morty by the collars, or jumping the universe and going to another, hes just a smart man who is basically a god and does what he pleases.

The one where he almost commits suicide cause his girlfriend broke up with him

i am positive rick is just insane, he's been insane since day 1

>everyone misses the point

He is not the hero. He doesn't have a character arc. There is not end game for rick.

So basically what people are afraid of is this show going the way of Adventure Time where sometimes it looks like things matter then they don't and you were an idiot to think they might.

Getting rid of all that "deep" development for Rick is helping the show. We don't need to go in the lore and plot heavy direction most cartoons are falling into nowadays.

I'm ok with that but the fans of the show seem hell bent on proving that there's a hidden meaning to it all.

So he's as complex as Patrick the starfish?

It kind of just felt like Rick was joking about ruling the family to hide that he cares. Although he does genuinely dislike Jerry.

>hasn't the last episode basically confirmed
no. it confirmed nothing.
yeah, the council and the government are the ones holding the humor and development back

>Rick is above it all and hates everyone but himself but gave a shit about 9/11

I love the way they try to peddle the notion that Rick is some sort of XTREME REBEL and then immediately play it safe on a sensitive issue.

Pure reddit writing there.

I like depth and consequences to happen in the shows I watch, even cartoons. As a child, I was constantly pissed off that the cartoons I watched would tease character development and progression of a character arc, only to have it be a one off episode deal.

FUCK THAT! Why watch something if there are no stakes or character growth.

Having said that, Rick and Morty is fucking awesome and you all need to quit bitching. Seriously, Sup Forums is starting to act like X-fags.

Exactly when did Rick become an "XTREME REBEL"? The 9/11 thing seems to be before that.

I hope the council isn't completely wasted. Felt like they should have had the potential to be some of the only people who stood any sort of chance against Rick.

It's one of the reason's I don't really like the season so far.

It was a cheap copout.

His reaction to 9/11 was over the government using it as an excuse to strip away freedoms.

Why the hell would he even care what the earth government is up to?

Because Earth is basically his birth planet?

Not even his original earth.

that's the leftwing "safe position" on 9/11, and that we need to start censoring "hate speech" to protect our civil liberties.

But it's still Earth, and he chooses the ones with very similar histories.

I relate to him

Any perceived plot, character development, or deeper meanings in any of the show are just pranks set up by the writers, so they can make a punchline later about how you actually believed they were serious about any of it.

Rick pantsed Morty and pushed him down a stairway, then proceeded to laugh at him along with some girls. Rick is crazy, user.

Remember Close Rick-counters? Rick is closer to the true neutral "super weird" Rick, coming out on the 'good' side, but he's still pretty close to being on the evil side.

Am I the only one who watches this for the (somewhat)satirical sci-fi adventures? I think a pig part of why season 1 was better is because the less cohesive character arcs meant they could just do whatever and not worry about tying it off in a perfect bow.

That said I don't think any impact is lost by way of the new episode. In fact I think it only builds upon an already complex character trait of Rick, his emotional dichotomy between how he really feels and how he feels he must present himself and his feelings to others. If you think back too all of season 2 "deep" Rick moments, you'll notice it's always when he's alone or the others are unaware of him.

Apparently people think that's a good character.

The thing about the sauce is a lie.

His original wife and Beth died because of some accident he feels responsible for, so he went and took the place of another Rick, but he wasn't emotionally numb enough yet to live with the family he watched die, so he abandoned them to tour the multiverse. He eventually came back, jaded beyond belief, to get his Morty and chill with the family.

>writers only care about what's funny and improvise
Rick forgot how to improvise.

>He doesn't have a character arc. There is not [an] end game for rick

Reminder that growth isn't necessary for characters to be complex.

>you can't alter memories
>but you can alter details of a fake origin story
>we never left the shoney's

>He only breaks the fourth wall every first episode of a season it seems.
And every last episode. And sometimes in the middle of seasons

>taking the funny meme rant at the end of the episode seriously

Honestly, Rick has canonically been willing to give his life for Morty in the past and yet you buy the shit he said about not caring about Morty and Summer? Its a mask he wears.

I'm not sure why I have to explain it to you autists.

Or Rick was lying about the Szechuan sauce and/or it was just a bit?

It's entirely possible Rick could have altered his real memory despite saying he couldn't

Congrats you understand human emotion.

Can't we all just agree that Rick is bipolar or something?

It's more that the writers don't really seem to have a grasp on what they want to do with the series. S1 was pretty much golden, so they must've felt like they had to push it forward some more. It's what made S2 turn into an awkward mess of ""fun"" episodes like Get Shwifty or Interdimensional Cable 2 feel completely forced while character progressions was rushed in dumps like Bird Man talking to Beth, Tiny Rick, the Unity episode, and so on. They definitely have decent writing ability, as S1 was well balanced and they decently hid the fact that S2E02+E04 Rick was AU, but it seems like the show lacks direction, and the fact that scenes like the end of S2E03 get such hardcore dick sucking does not help that.

It was a joke about how "Everyone remembers where they were on 9/11". You guys are overthinking it.

He's not bipolar, just conflicted. Every character in the show is defined by their internal dichotomy, and most episodes are about pressuring them to choose one way or the other.

Season 2 wasn't bad because it had character depth(season 1 had it too, actually). It was worse than season 1 because they clearly weren't trying to hard, and gave Jerry too many fucking episodes. He was a drag on every episode he was in other than Mortynight run.

Probably why they had Beth divorce him.

>since the writers only care about what's funny
Is this a problem? It's supposed to be a wacky comedy. If you want non-stop development, romance, drama, plot-lines and shit, then you can go fuck yourself, because it's autismal faggots like you who keep ruining shows. Adventure Time is a prime example of a show that got ruined because of such faggotry.

>He seems to be manifesting some sort of butt
>He can do that?
>He IS the smartest man in the universe

The details of the story could have been altered enough to not be recognized as a memory, or Rick's brain is just that goddamn powerful.

>2011

what

>the writers don't really seem to have a grasp on what they want to do with the series.
Evil Morty is the best example of this. It could've been something interesting, but instead he's not coming back.

He didn't give a shit that people died, he gave a shit that the government would use that to ruin freedom. And besides, the whole bit is a joke on how everyone remembers what they were doing on 9/11

>drama and continuity are added to the show
>viewers get invested
>viewers complain about show not committing to the drama and continuity it introduced
>It's just a comedy guys! gawd! Why so serious?

YEAH!! CHARAKTER GROWTH LE STINKS!!!!!

I agree, but there's an actual line he says in the background that's along the line of "they'll use this to strip away our freedoms." to subvert the idea that he actually cared about the people that died.

>Evil Morty needs to come back
That's some shit opinion right there. Better to leave it as a twist ending rather than playing it out. Trying to do that with all the little shite from Season 1 is why Season 2 became forced as fuck.

Which is fine, as long as you go to it for what it is: absurd comedy

>add drama as a counterpoint to make the humor funnier
>viewers project what they think the show is doing
>bitch and moan when you don't take it down that proven hellhole

It's the one thing that they should have brought back. Interdimensional Cable was magic that works once. Evil Morty is literally a hook for another episode.

>So hasn't the last episode basically confirmed that any character development that Rick (and pretty much any character in the show) supposedly had is null since the writers only care about what's funny and improvise?
No. I mean, it confirmed whatever you want it to confirm, but no.

Rick is like 60 years old. it would be bad writing for him to turn over a few leaf just because of a few life and death experiences when he already goes through so many life and death experiences that go his way completely

I'm not saying season 2 was bad only that season 1 was better. Im also not say there wasn't character depth in season, but that they played it a little more 'fast and loose' with the character depth.

But look at season 2, in the first episode Rick sacrifices himself to save Morty(even though he end up surviving) then in the last episode Rick (appears)to sacrifice himself for his whole family. That's a character arc, plain as day, and because of it the writers are locked into "how do we make Rick's choices and actions how and strengthen this arc so it has impact on the viewer?" Because of this season 2 lacked a certain emotional spontaneity that season 1 did have.

This is both, in my opinion, why season 1 was better than season 2 and something that they are trying to recapture in season 3.

it's photoshopped

look at the pixels around the word sauce, look at the obvious difference in image quality between the dragon and the rest of the label.

Have any anons tried that Mulan sauce?

>which was hailed by Redditors everywhere as the darkest thing they've ever seen on television
Niggers need to go watch any episode of Moral Oral.

Rick is the Rickest Rick out there. He doesn't learn lessons, because he already knows all about them and just in general doesn't give a shit

Looks like it has worked so far

>Also I find it weird that Rick constantly acknowledges that he's just a character in a television show but he still acts depressed as if he has real problems. You can't constantly break the fourth wall while also trying to have the audience relate to the character

The that I take it is that by "going with the interdimwnsional cable television" Rick knows that somewhere his life is a TV show, so he often likes to act like he has viewers.

you all are a bunch of faggots. I'm going to go watch Rick and Morty.

go watch the new episode
over
and over
and over again

>mfw ive been doing this for over a decade now

"your parents are idiots morty"
The redditer chuckles
>"Mmmmmm get Schwifty"
The redditer begins all out belly laughing, spewing Dorito crumbs
>"Everyone not like me is an idiot"
The redditer begins smashing his hand in the keyboard while laughing
>"God's not real morty"
the redditers heart can no longer take the strenuous laughter and gives out

Why does everyone think that Rick hasn't developed because of that end speech? We know by now to pay attention to his actions and not his words. He cares about the family, likes going on adventures with Morty, and resents Jerry for betraying him. How's that any different from typical Rick?

That and quality drops while the show grows stale until the find their footing again

I just want to see a nudity scene with Summer this season

>the writers don't really seem to have a grasp on what they want to do with the series
The writers and directors change rapidly. If the creators weren't voice actors too, they'd probably be lost in it.

Since this is a R&M thread this is semi relevant, who here has invented their own personal Rick?

>Rick is the Rickest Rick
What exactly makes him more of a Rick than the Rick one dimension over whose only difference is scratching his balls with his left hand once?

Nah, the first two seasons were really light and optimistic overall.

Season 3 is dark as fuck though, holy shit "Alone" was pushing it.

Don't worry user, I laugh at you.

Impossible, not even on Bluray releases would they risk that. Summer is underaged, even if she's not "real".

There clearly aren't infinite universes within the premise of this show

>What exactly makes him more of a Rick than the Rick one dimension over whose only difference is scratching his balls with his left hand once?
There isn't one of those. Most Ricks are very similar, and the few outliers are VERY different.

The council of Ricks is mostly all the same sort of Rick.

The doofus Rick is a unique Rick, because he's ugly and nice. Likewise, our Rick is unique because he's nicer than average and cares about his family. Most Ricks don't do that, there isn't many similar versions of Rick.

So is Morty but they always show the boy characters nude and they had them get stripped down in the simulation episode.

and that's BOOOOOORING.

Rick and Morty reminds me of the slipshod Adult Swim shows I used to enjoy (Frisky Dingo, Squidbillies, etc). And even though it grew up and got a big budget it knows it's basically trash

I think R&M has infinite universes, just not infinite in every direction.

Basically, there are an infinite number of possibilities between 1 and 2, but 3 will never be one of them. You can have 1.4, or 1.45, or 1.454, and it goes on forever, but you can't get a 3 even with the infinite possibilities between 1 and 2.

There's a difference between boys and girls, first of all.

And have we actually seen him nude, or are you talking some barbie doll anatomy shit?

Oddly convenient that one of the finite possibilities is a universe where everything was the same until Rick Cronenberg'd everyone and fixed it and then died.

If that were the case, Rick wouldn't have to tell Morty that they can only replace a dead pair so many times. There would be an infinite number of dead pairs.

Yep, that's why he says they can only do it a couple of times. There are a very large number of universes, clearly, but not infinite

Rick refers to it as "an infinite number of realities", yet somehow only a couple dozen have that possibility.

Yeah, one of those two statements is a lie, it just doesn't work otherwise

It was in 2001

It's not if we see the bits you dummy

It's just the prospect of the matter
also that Lizzie the Lizard show did it so why the fuck not

yeah but other than that name one time he did it

Exactly. It also doesn't add up with the "central finite curve", not that it's actually explained.

BLIPS AND CHIIIIIITZ!!!

The way I see it, the episode was making fun of fags like you who take the show way too seriously.