What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JQO8MTlO69U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

One of my favorite movies growing up. I refuse to rewatch it and break the illusion.

Audiences didn't know how to deal with such a blend of Eastern and Western animation, let alone the inclusion of 3D stuff at the time.
I mean just look at this scene and tell me you don't see a piece of serious 80s Japanese style in there, especially in the hangar and rescue ship internal shots.
youtube.com/watch?v=JQO8MTlO69U
Sure, it had some flaws, and the story telling could have been touched up here and there, but I see it as Fantasia with a story. Showcasing- and experimenting with what animation can do.

Nothing, it's a solid 7.5/10.

Good call. The CG really doesn't stand up even though most of the hand drawn animation is fucking stellar.
Also the soundtrack is mediocre as fuck.

>Also the soundtrack is mediocre as fuck.

The early 2000's were a dark time for music in general.

Why did it perform so poorly in the box office, though? It caused an entire animation wing to shut down.

It COULD have been good. The plot was great, the animation was amazing, there are several individual scenes that stood out and I still remember ages later, but...

It was bland. The acting was bland, everything was brown, the humans moved too stiffly and their faces were kind of lifeless.

And that kangaroo alien with the double knees. The fuck kind of character design is that???

Well, for one thing, it's a Bluth film.

Which means the plot progression and character development is shit.

Fuck you. Teenage me loved the soundtrack to this.

The lack of male frontal nudity. What a watershed moment that would have been. Amirit?

>Fantasia with a story. Showcasing- and experimenting with what animation can do.
that's basically FLCL

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

They could not decide if it was for kids or older audiences. Plus people kept on leaving and being replaced which resulted in a too many cooks scenario. At least from what I've read.

>And that kangaroo alien with the double knees. The fuck kind of character design is that???
You'll trigger the guy that waifus it.

>it's a solid 7.5/10

Wouldn't that implying something DID go wrong?

It went up against Treasure Planet which was made by fucking Ron Clements & John Musker, AKA the masterminds who made, oh I don't know, the Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Princess and the Frog and Moana.

However, due to kids abandoning 2D and teenagers abandoning 3D both movies ended up killing each other for being thematically similar. Ron & John were kept from making movies for a few years but Bluth could NOT take another flop and his career fucking died.

What went right?

It was another dime a dozen Star Wars knockoff, the only thing setting it apart was the animation.

Nothing.
The movie overall was pretty damn good. Pacing felt a bit rushed, and it probably should have been longer to flesh the characters out more. Besides that, it was a decent movie.
>the 2D animation mixed with 3D also kind of sucked

It looked cool at times, but mostly just looked awkward.

>He didn't want to fuck Stith

Get a load of this normie?

We can't really chalk it up to poor advertising like most films like this. The first teaser was shown before Star Wars Episode 1, the single most viewed film of 1999. It had a small toy line, tv spots, and some video games. It was poised to be a big hit. I think the bottom line though is that the subject matter was simply too dark and too heavy for a western kids show. Parents weren't comfortable bringing their kids to see it. I was 12 when it came out and had to beg my dad to take me because he thought it was too weird or dark or whatever. I really think this film was treated unfairly in its original run but I am glad Bluth went out on such a high note.

Same. I'll still listen to it every other year or so.

"Went up against" implies they were released in the same month or on the same weekend. Titan A.E. came out in June of 2000. Treasure Planet came out in November of 2002. But I will admit that the stylistic similarities to Titan A.E. is probably what killed Treasure Planet. Both films were treated so unfairly in their original release.

good film but what the hell was their problem?

why are they dicks?

she not real

why live