Paranatural: now with BACKGROUNDS (sometimes)

>I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET YOUR AUTOGRAPH FOR AN ETERNITY, PLEASE,

>Thanks for reading!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-sbb4EL0ybs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Aaaand another few pages of wortless interaction with some third-rate support char.
Couldn't he keep his build-up for the aftermath of this arc? Please?

We know, it's PJ. It's obvious to everybody.

School Council plot incoming as promised. May God have mercy on our souls.

That's racist, Max.
youtube.com/watch?v=-sbb4EL0ybs

>how to act like Sasuke

Ah, the illusive background

Oh boy another wacky character tangent
I wonder what his anime gimmick or sexual dysfunction is
Agender asexual panromantic homorobotic?

why the fuck are you faggots still discussing this garbage of a comic after the fucking bullshit that is the page before this one?

stop peddling this agenda-pushing disappointment what the fuck seriously

Ithink I'm addicted to frustration at this point.

Because it used to be so fucking good and each day we lose hope just a little

He's black you big baby

Didn't stop Day from being a blind lesbian sportive despite being obese moeblob.

So that means he's going to be either a Jojo or a Cowboy Bebop

Just give it a re-read. Your hope for Zack to do better will either rise or completely fade away.

The problem in recent arcs hasn't just been the choice of new characterization. It's the introducing of it.

It's all been dropped on us in a reall drawn out dump that never fucking stops and bogs all sense of action and drive.

And of course it comes hot on the heels of name-I mean dodgeball. It all screams of poor planning on Zack's part.

Bump. No reason for this thread to die yet.

OH DEAR FUCK GET ON WITH IT

ENOUGH WITH THESE "QUIRKY" INTERACTIONS THAT GO NOWHERE

SOMETHING NEEDS TO HAPPEN

THROW IN A FIGHT, HAVE SOMETHING MEANINGFUL HAPPEN

JUST END MY MISERY

Hey guys remember when she was an actuallu intriguing character

Shit, this was back in 2014? That means I stopped reading around the time I enlisted. Anything good happen in the past 3 years?

>this was less than 24 hours ago in comic time
>it's been 3 years
kill me

Hey, remember hijack and the main plot of this fucking chapter? Of Course not! cause we keep adding new fucking side plots! Would be nice to get back to it this year...

We have been stuck in side plot limbo for a good 2 years now I think.

>Parantural threads used to hit bump limit back during the secret shortcut arc
>now they barely get 20 posts before getting to page 10
I made myself sad

So we all agree that pacing is the issue. Is having assistance with other artists to push out more worth it? I don't want this to end up like Homestuck.

Does Zack even do layouts for his pages? I feel like he could've taken up a lot less space with this page, and the interaction could've just been 1/3 or 1/4th of the page.

Depends if the page is Tumblr-tier preaching or not. The "I know you are gay" and "non-binary" pages both reached bump limit and got mini threads after them.

In this case, I don't think it would help. If Zack plans ahead at all it certainly doesn't seem like it, and no amount of help producing the art faster will help with the pacing issues. If anything, an editor would work wonders.

What he needs to do is just bite the bullet and end the chapter. Even the previous page would have been a good stopping point.

The moment he wrote the line "What now?" he should have realized it was time to fucking end it and save it for next chapter. This would have been a great(?) start to the next chapter, even-- Max is feeling lost, confused, and listless, just like the whole audience. Then Zack can start in with whatever this new tangent is, and start hopping between characters again as they advance their leads.

Do you think his girlfriend realizes how poor his pacing is? Monsterkind hasn't really managed to hold my attention story-wise but christ at least she can keep her character interactions fairly concise and knows when to move scenes along.

We just wanna get to the firew-I mean-lightning generator power plant, only then we scramble.

I would have to agree, It's killing this comic. Also I feel like it's clear Zack is not going into these chapters with a coherent plot progression/arch laid out. Or he has a base line, but then during the drawing/plot creation he gets a random idea like "gee, I wonder what *insert side character here* is doing..." and then stops what he's doing and makes a 10-15 page side plot to show it, no matter where we are in the main plot. It just slows things down to ridiculous levels.

Oh right Isaac is still in the woods alone with Garcia. He's currently the only MC still investigating Hijack right?

>Hijack
Who?

Wait, that guy from Worm?

Here's the kicker, is Hijack even relevant to the plot? He mentions something about this being his job, like he was sent by somebody. Is this the case? Or is he literally just a fucking monster of the week that turned into a "monster of the two years".

My vague guess from only half paying attention since Hitball is that Zack is going to let her poses the principal , so that along with the vice-principal and the school council the whole school Admin is compromised and evil, and that will be the actual story we've spent going on 3 years building towards.

Or fuck it maybe it's just a random series of events I can never tell with Zack.

>and that will be the actual story we've spent going on 3 years building towards.
I really, REALLY don't think the school is as relevant as that. I mean, I thought it was all about Doorman, Forge, their unnamed "Master", the Cousinhood, and all of that.

Cann someone give me the deal behind the comic? He seem kinda obnoxious on Twitter but that's all I know about him.

It was a promising new webcomic about spirits and ghosts and shit. The first three or so chapters were solid, and had action and plot development. Then it spiraled downhill into irrelevant derails and pointless filler.

You'll hear a lot of bitching about Zack's needless pushing of ideology. The reality of the situation is that his Tumblr pandering is the LEAST of this comic's problems, even if it is obnoxious. The writing itself has suffered a rapid decline, and we've been mired in this stupid filler chapter for two or so years now, and the arc villain seems to have completely vanished, leaving us with pointless character antics that lead nowhere.

I honestly dropped this before the gender identity panel was posted. I was just bored. The idiotic stagnation was too much for me.

I get ya. He acts like a writing expert from what I've seen so I was just wondering.

I was mainly annoyed because he acted as though he was too good for Sup Forums. (which can be an annoying site but I think it was the tone that got me)

I could be wrong. It's just a lot of villains introduced in this chapter are explicitly tied to the school, or at least trying to take over it for whatever reason. I hope I'm wrong actually once this arc finishes in the 2020s I'll probably never want to see the inside of Mayview again.

>the arc villain seems to have completely vanished
You mean after possessing Johnny? Who's a major player this chapter?

Does anybody else want to fuck Lisa

Because I want to fuck Lisa

I just remembered this existed a couple hours where did all the cis scum bullshit come from

Hijack is the arc villain, not Forge.

Ah the days when this was the couple of choice. I'm not going to lie, I prefer Johnny/Max but I wouldn't have wanted that over the comic quality suffering, which it has been like crazy.

As far as actual plot shit I'm pretty sure Issac will eventually go bad and Johnny will probably take his place in your classic rival/enemy switch scenario.

Holy shit the fucking blue-haired blackface character is terrible who writes this drivel

I only started reading this for Isaac, becusethe walk to school chapter was the Only part of Paranatural I enjoyed from beginning to end. He turns evil and I can finally just stop caring.

He could still be salvaged

The author is probably setting up a character development where he realizes it's just a fad, a crowd to fit in, and accepts himself and moves on

>"You seduced the train?"

It's blatantly obvious that Zack jumped the gun on Chapter 5. He wanted to do a Dodgeball Anime chapter, he wanted to do an Introduction to Mayview Pt. 2 ft. Student Council chapter, he wanted to do a Train Aftermath chapter, and he wanted to do a Brain Hijacker chapter.

So he did them all at once.

>acted as though
>when he plainly stated as much

"goals: become unpalpable to Sup Forums"

Too bad for him, I want to spec shot most of his lolis if ya know what I mean

Zach is genuinely failing as an artist and storyteller. The story is spinning its wheels, the "art" is abysmal, humor is hit or miss. I mean its ok for your webcomic to be shitty in one respect if its decent in another. What is even left for him to make a mockery of?

Maybe he's autistic.

Even the new pillhead design?

I hate this chibi-fication.

Yes. The eyes are what get me senpai.

a lot of characters are just starting to look the same. or at least, lose a lot of distinct features. you only see colin's eyes half the time since zack just defaults to drawing them in that same "two ovals and tiny dots" fashion that was usually reserved for the occasional gag/undetailed shot. but now those moments are way too many

same with rj

I'd rather he not update for a month and then dump several pages at a time than this drivel.

This looks too fun to be in the current comic but I'm not gonna give Zack a page view by checking.

wait, what looks too fun?

That image

are you kidding me? "le wacky faces" is a defining trait of newer paranatural, as an alternative to actually funny jokes

But it has always had wacky faces

I mean, his style has gotten so bland i dont really follow the comic anymore and they're definitely not exclusive of neo PN

reading comprehension, please practice it. zack relies on it much more as a crutch.

Wacky faces have always been a core tenant of Paranatural

W-we just wanna see if it ever returns to its former glory

Oh look, another subplot. Yaaaaay.

Post yfw the next two pages with nine panels each consist of Max bantering with and then running away from Domino Morpheus or whatever the fuck his name is and we don't see him again for the next six months

At least the two panels with backgrounds have really good backgrounds.

He really dropped the ball here.

We didn't need every aspect of her QUIRKINESS laboriously explored. She could have been gradually revealed to us more and more as she becomes more relevant.

It's not a new one though, it's a resolution to an existing one.

Finally.

Webcomics...is pain.

The solution is clear for any webcomic artist struggling with pacing in a story based comic, it's just not the answer they want to hear or deal
with.

If you have a story based webcomic you either have to update at least three times a week(and that's the bare MINIMUM) on a regular schedule
without ANY breaks or do actual batch chapter updates.

Or failing that, you have to tailor the story to fit the medium so condense/manage the shit out of it so we don't have a billion plots going on at
once.

But of course nobody wants to face that, they want to pretend they can pull off some epic story line like actual published authors without
putting in an equal amount of time into it.

>It's just webcomics

Bullshit. Plenty of great webcomics know how to tell an interesting story with a pace that doesn't feel like the plot has been going around in circles for years.

So has anything happened since the end of Hitball?

Personally I'd ask if anything even happened DURING hitball, everything that's happened since Forge has been a god damn waste of time.

>As far as actual plot shit
>5 days in-comic so far of what's basically the establishing Act 1
SIX GODDAMN YEARS.

>If you have a story based webcomic you either have to update at least three times a week(and that's the bare MINIMUM) on a regular schedule
without ANY breaks or do actual batch chapter updates.

Paranatural was pretty well paced in the early chapters, even when it was only updating once a week. Even if Parantural switched to a 5 page/week update schedule it would still be terrible paced because it's not the release rate that's the issue, but the content of the pages. So many pages could have been cut out, or condensed, so many scenes could have been shortened or removed entirely. Even when I read chapter 5 in one sitting the pacing was still terrible because hitball takes so damn long.

>stopped reading this a long-ass fucking time ago
>expect the plot to have moved a good distance ahead
>page 189 of chapter 5, nothing at all has happened or changed in actual years
>has still had regular updates, no months-long hiatuses
ho lee FUCK

Pacingnatural.

I used to read this shit because I genuinely liked it. Now I read it for the same reason people read webcomics like Dumbing of Age.

Indeed. A 200+ pages chapter is just retarded no matter how much you look at it.

Or both.

2 updates a week gives you 2-3 years to tell a story the length of Watchmen. If you can't keep your story under 300 pages, that's your own damn fault.