ITT Sup Forums characters who became flanderized over time

ITT Sup Forums characters who became flanderized over time

Literally all the heroes.

All four of them, watch the eddisode Spares and compare it to how they act in The End

Lisa. Went from voice of reason, to the epitome of annoying liberal.

Same with Brian.

Ned Flanders.
I wonder how they called that trope before the Simpsons, because it always existed in fiction.

Ned Flanders!

Every character on Archer.

Doesn't modern Bart have no balls and exist just to get shit on?

I mean its not like he's a 'rebel' or a 'menace' anymore, no one thinks he's cool and the stuff he ever did is pretty tame compared to modern characters.
Kind of like US vs UK Dennis the Menace

Cosmo and Wanda.

Tootie.

Fuck, every FOP character to some degree.

How did this get pinned to Ned Flanders, anyway. He wasn't a complex character who was boiled down to a single trait, he was a one-dimensional character whose one-dimension changed from one thing (neighborly one-upsmanship) to a different thing (religious obsession).

Fuck off tvtropes

> tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi

She used to be strong and smart. Now she's all about science.

>Cheryl at one point was actually sane
>Pam was normal

It's weird as hell watching the first season, it's almost like a different cast of characters populates it.

It's the
>I'm going to pretend the rest of the internet doesn't exist
episode

Most shows that have been running for a substantial amount of time suffer from this. Homer is the most egregious example to me on a personal level.

His defining trait was being so lazy (both physically and mentally) it bordered on neglect. However, when it came down to it he always had a big heart. Homer's antics were funny because you could tell how much he'd rather be at home watching garbage daytime television and drinking piss beer.

Even during the end of the Golden Age his shtick seemed to turn into him constantly looking for wacky high stress situations to get into so he could pratfall for 20 minutes.

It works for Brian since he acts like a cunt and everyone calls him a cunt.

Modern Pam is way better than original Pam.

The point when she was bad was during the one season where she became an insane coke addict and it was super obnoxious where it became all she was.

I really loved Patrick's original characterization. He was Spongebob's older mentor figure who thought he had everything figured out. The joke being (of course) that he was just as naive as Spongebob if not more so. The dynamic between Spongebob and Patrick was really fun, you got a sense that Spongebob really treated Patrick's ridiculous "words of wisdom" with a lot of reverence.

Turning him into a bumbling blithering idiot is the best example of new writers not "getting" a character I can think of.

pretty sure it was coined when he started to only appear in episodes to say "howdee doodeldy doo" and then homer shut him up and he's out of the episode.

UK Dennis is best Dennis

He was an annoyingly great neoghbour, who was, among the things, a devout Christian. This was the originally minor trait that grew out of control and eclipsed his character.

>marshmallows

Everytime I see shit like that I assume some higher up bitched.

UK Dennis would beat the shit out of the American pussy

What's this artist's problem?

Even the murderers and rapists.

Not Sup Forums but that image screams Dwight Shrute.

She was also orignally going to be Spongebob's love interest

The others youre not wrong... but Tootie how? In the first and last episode she was in she was pining for Timmys dick, probably one of the few on that show that remained at least somewhat tame and consistent otherwise.

Ay caramba, man.

All she had going for during that season was her slimmer, but still deliciously thick figure.

For any other person it would be rocks. The joke is that Walter in the glasses over there is such a softie that marshmallows do the job just fine. It'd be a waste of good rocks.

dropped the show because of this. season 1 was perfect

Peridot or pretty much every character in SU except based Greg

Everyone in this photo.

Most regular characters in The Boondocks.
I still love all 3 seasons, but on rewatches, 1 just hits that perfect note of ridiculous yet tame the others don't.

Agreed, never liked what Patrick became in the post movie seasons.

Really? Huh, wonder how that would have worked out?

What's the story on how there are two versions of Dennis anyways?

>This was the originally minor trait
Nah, it was a big aspect of his character.
But it used to be a positive aspect. Then the writers decided to use it as to comment on the abuse on religion by bad people.
To take a good hearted character and transform him into a WBC stereotype is just awful. It shows how the times change too.

Somehow two different people managed to come up with concepts with the same name at pretty much the same time

Except ones a bitch and the others a fuckin hardcore nutter

New Lapis is literally fanfic-tier
The fans gave her a completely different characterization through fancomics than what she was originally presented as, and the writers of the show just got very influenced by that
now she's a snarky piece of shit

Why is it that characters always seem to lose their character as their series goes on. I can't think of one thing where a character has stayed the same without being turned into 1 or 2 things about their character

Difficulty in communication between writers copying each other imperfectly.

Or sometimes, just refinement of traits writers think work.

Lapis died when they dedicated an entire episode to tell her to stop whining about being raped and she should just swallow i t up for good because it made the fat kid sad.

Marketing polls shows that people adore a few lines/traits of a character, and tell the writers to push that aspect more.

Sometimes it works for comedy because the character is going beyond what's expected from him. Then it starts to escalate.

Don't get me started on how preachy and self-centered Steven became, most episodes are formulated to always place him in the right and have him hit the moral as hard as they can on everyone's noses.

Pisses me off more than Garnet turning into Fusion the Character, aka two midgets in a trenchcoat.

Karkat.

Fuck it, every goddamn character from that webcomic.

If we enter webcomic territory, Kat lost most of her subtlety and appeal the day she became lesbian. Even if she does science, it's off screen, because on screen she must show that she is in a happy love relationship, always.

well

It's Tom's fault, it's almost always Tom's fault

>hiring literal tumblr fanfic authors to work on your show

Sugar screwed the pooch big time. Zuke is ruining the show.

Were Sugar born later she would have been one of the tumblr fanfic girls

It's pretty obvious when you look at episodes like "Ripped Pants", and some old tie-in books are pretty explicit about SB having a crush on her
But I think it was changed when they realized the show was too loose, episodic, and silly to support a romance with any kind of weight, and also because Spongebob transitioned to being more of a dumb, asexual manchild than he was in the first seasom

Zuke doesn't work on the show anymore user

Remember her introduction episode, when Spongebob goes to Patrick looking for advice because he's going to drink tea with a girl

All of them

Sometimes I wonder if SU haters even watch the show. They're clearly alluding to specific plot points, but their knowledge of them tends to miss the most obvious and common things that would be clear to anyone who saw the episodes they're complaining about.

Has it gotten any better? I dropped it a few months ago.

I think he's talking about how we have at least 5 more Zuke episodes left in the season, also it was never comfirmed if she was fire or not

Garnet has more personality now than she did before.

He kinda became Kramer after a while.

>season 1
>not seaons 2-4

pleb

this guy turning into doctor rape in the mid 00s

He was not raped. She was the rapist.

The whole "you don't get it" excuse doesn't work. That episode had no redeeming value it's the epitome of "making Steven sad is the worst crime and it's always your fault because he's always right" plot garbage that make everybody drop that show.

more lines != more depth.

A shitty personality. Old Garnet was better

Well, you don't. What you're talking about never happened in the show. Whatever you're trying to reference, you've distorted it so badly that I can't even tell what it's meant to be.

>being raped
>being
Lapis apologists are so fucking stupid holy shit

She has the exact same amount of depth. Before the reveal she was just the mysterious aloof mystical guru. That's not depth, that's an archetype that HINTS at greater depths. She gave the impression of having depth without actually revealing any. Now she's just two retarded midgets constantly having sex. Her depth is revealed, and she's as shallow as a puddle.

It was more like a hate fuck, but tumblr decided to blame everything on Jasper even after the episode says that they were both toxic for each other

to be fair, every character in KOTH became a wild caricature of themselves in the later seasons, it was just worst with Dale since he was already a little less grounded than the others

At no moment she was agreeing with the fusion. The whole "I asked for it" falls into the show telling us Steven was right to tell her to shut up.

It's like when you pressure a girl into prom sex and then she inverts her vagina into an eight foot cock and starts ass raping you, shouting "ARE YOU ENJOYING YOURSELF?". And then she blames you for being the one who started the rape train when she just took the brakes off and kept pounding away for months until you were both so violated you both started enjoying it.

Really not sure what Sugar was going for by calling Malachite an example of bad relationships when Jasper just treated it as a battle tactic and Lapis was the one who went through with it for incredibly retarded reasons.

She did agree to it. Right next to the very same ocean people like to forget she stole and tried to kill all the main characters with. The ocean she then used to trap Jasper in the fusion.

She was in power pretty much the entire time.

Garnet is smug, self-confident, self-absorbed, and self-righteous. She likes to think that she's better than people, and generally doesn't bother to engage with people unless they're personally important to her. She's struggling with her role as leader after the loss of Rose, and wants to appear stronger and more unfazeable than she actually is, for the sake of her team. She is prone to immediate, forceful action; she favors simple and direct solutions to problems even if they aren't the most practical, and she also tends to lash out at people or things which annoy her.

A lot of her feelings are related to fusion, because fusion is important to her. That doesn't mean her personality consists of one word; it's not just what she's about, it's how she's about it.

dunno, some characters were one note from the start and didn't change much imo, like bill, boomhauer, or Luane. Hank didn't feel too flanderized either, more like victim of character change to fit the plot at time. Bobby was probably the worst there for that matter, but it's kind of the opposite of Flanderisation.
Peggy evolved to be annoying too but it doesn't feel like flanderization nor inconsistency to me. They just wanted her to be like that.

Hank was actually less reasonable and humanized early on though. He became much more someone you're supposed to relate to and root for instead of the satire he was used for early on. So in that way his character actually grew, reverse flanderization if you will

She feels like less of a character knowing now that she isn't really real
She's just a fusion of two other characters that we don't get enough screen time for and only personality trait is that they really love each other and really like fucking.
Knowing all this, knowing Garnets feelings and personality isn't real and just the projection of what ruby and sapphire feel takes away all of the characterization she once had mute and pointless

How so?

Jasper offered to fuse with Lapis, and she agreed under false pretenses. Jasper tried to escape, but Lapis forced her to remain fused, dragged her to the bottom of the ocean and tormented her for several months straight, while she was struggling to escape the whole time.

There, that's how THAT really happened. I have no idea where you got that weird part about Steven from.

That's the thing, Mike Judge's characters for the most part are all so simple conceptially that it's hard to water them down much (how would one fladerize Beavis and Butthead?), and in KOTH's case the writing was consistently solid enough that they all actually got a fair amount of development over the years. Luanne, Peggy, and Dale all drifted the most (Luanne especially got noticably dumber) but it held up better over 13 years than almost any other show has managed. It only took Chowder a season and a half to ruin all the characters.
Though Bob's Burgers has been on for 7 and I've noticed no real difference at all since season 2. It has been exactly the same thing since then and I enjoy how comfy that is

>they can't even stand to be away from each other
>Hit the Diamond proves they can't keep themselves from fucking even when someone else's safety relies on a successful ruse
>lowkey flirting in the Zoo too
>the one time they actually willfully spend away from each other is because Ruby was mad Pearl tricked them into sex but Sapphire was willing to let it go for the sake of group unity

Ruby and Sapphire are useless horny rocks. It's a wonder Garnet was as good as she was when those made up her whole.

Definitely. Patrick is a completely different character now.

Don't know what they'd call it, but you can honestly recreate OP's image with Link's de-evolution into Toon Link.

I disagree, honestly. The only place I see this is on Sup Forums.

If so, you'd need to add a fourth arrow leading from the bottom-left to top-left since paradoxically as we reached the end of the series he started getting really grounded and well-rounded and respectable as a character again.

>lowkey flirting in the Zoo

When was that?

but user gays are so interesting

Gumball started out very naive but cute and evolved into a know-it-all asshole
Nicole was a hard working, exhausted but caring and capable mother who became a ball of firey rage
The rest of them really are pretty much the same though

I could be wrong, but Friendship is Magic from what I've heard has stayed largely consistent.

Every single character in this highly overrated show

I think you're putting her in a Catch-22 situation. Garnet isn't a character because she's just a fusion and not her own person, and any traits she displays are actually those of her components. But Ruby and Sapphire don't count as characters because they have so little screen time and the only trait they display on their own is wanting to be Garnet again.

But consider this. If Garnet displays a personality trait, whose personality is it? Hers, Ruby's, or Sapphire's?

It's unfair to say she's not a character because she's a fusion. Technically, that would make her two characters, and in practice she's entirely capable of being characterized. Everything she does is something that Ruby and Sapphire do together. Her pride, her anger, her love for her friends, her dry wit, the way she handles her powers, the pressure she feels as a leader, those are all part of them and their relationship.

Garnet being a fusion means she isn't just one character, but she's definitely more than zero.

But Toon Link is just one of the many Links in the reincarnation cycle part of third timeline even there like 3 Toon links, but at the sane time Link dosen't have much of a character

Explain, please

Purple Smart got worse, Crusty Cunt Flakes is a bigger cunt. The baby dragon is useless. All the main cast otherwise stayed fairly consistent.

Id argue that season 1 archer was before the characters found their voices. The show kinda needs them to seem flanderized because the world itself is a flanderization of ours.

Zuko started off as a Saturday morning cartoon villain and had an actual character arc. Sokka grew a bit but was usually relegated to being the wacky guy. Katara got worse. Toph started off basic and got worse and worse and worse. Azula was pretty much the same until she went REALLY nuts, and aside from being rushed it wasn't much of a stretch. Aang did grow but it was less pronounced than Zuko.

>Character enters a lesbian relationship
>Instantly becomes boring, every scene is about their lesbian relationship, somehow gets a shitload of spotlight where nothing really happens
>Fans practically drown themselves in their juices gushing about how amazing their horribly bland relationship and devoid of chemistry their relationship became when it became romantic
>But who cares about good writing. Lesbians, amirite?
Happened to Homestuck to.

Worst part is that Kanaya and Rose's relationship is treated as working well despite the fact that it wouldn't without serious character development. But seeing as that would be interesting and imply that lesbian relationships had to deal with the same issues are mere morals it couldn't happen.