Who would've thought virtue signaling would be a bad idea?

Who would've thought virtue signaling would be a bad idea?

>slashfilm.com/marvel-diversity-sales-slump/

I hate riri and moon girl

Lunella is a good girl. She didn't do nothin'.

if you couldn't see this coming your must be completely blind

Marvel may be dumb, but not as dumb as people who keep making this same thread.

>He posted it again

liberals fuck everything up

Give them a break, these retards voted for Trump thinking he was going to help them. Now that they realized they were suckered, they need to continue to attack liberalism in all it's forms as if that accomplishes anything.

>virtue signalling

Which would mean something of Sup Forums didn't try and argue every single piece of minority fiction made in the past 10 years with that phrase.

It's not different then arguing some piece of fiction is "pandering' and pretending that's a bad thing.

I want to fuck Riri

The issue isn't the diversity it is the politics. People are pissed off about getting identity politics shoved into their faces every second of the day.
They say they want diversity but they hate anyone who doesn't conform to their political beliefs. How about introducing a queer or ethnic minority character who isn't a cookie cutter progressive for once?
Maybe a Muslim who actually supports Sharia law? (as the vast majority of all Muslims do), a black guy who is a Conservative? an Asian who is a Libertarian?

>it is the politics

No, it's the bad writing and lack of editors.

Talk about going overboard then learning the wrong message from your mistakes.

Diversity itself isn't the problem:
Miles' Spider-Man book sells well.
Ms. Marvel was popular and critically acclaimed.
Moon Girl is good for the 10 and under crowd.
Black Panther sells great.
Ultimates is one of the best books Marvel is publishing

Their problem was that, in the midst of all of that, they replaced Steve with Falcon and Thor with Jane, they replaced Iron Man and Hawkeye with teen girls, and they pushed all the originals out of the titles. It was too many new characters with no big name familiar ones to balance it out. They could have changed all those characters to different white guys and the books still would have failed.

But now this is seen as an issue with diversity instead of not having enough characters people actually know and love. Idiots.

I didn't see the last one, was it any good? Did it manage to get off the ground?

>I didn't see the last one
This is around the ~30th thread we've had about this. In fact, there's currently two other threads about it already in the catalog.

Moon girl should've been a female moon knight desu senpai

I wish Riri was better written cause goddamn, I love me a cute black girl with a bangin' afro.

Coincidentally when this started and we kept it all on thread, pol was being swamped by horse pussy.

Makes you think.

ah, I thought it'd be literally the same thread, with the same opening image and text

>"Diversity" is not the problem
>"Diversity" is the problem

You're the idiot. Marvel is obviously referring to the replacement spree they went on, but of course you get all your opinions from blog headlines and tumblr reposts. Think for your damn self, sheep.

Hair looks retard

For all the morons who didn't read past the headline:
They are blaming bigoted readers for nit wanting diversity. Not saying diversity is the reason.

You're what's wrong with comics, user.

is this a parody post?

This.

It's making a bad product that has no market outside of comic shop owners that's causing their slump in sales.

Can we go back to /cock/, that was the most civil Sup Forums ever got.

Not as horribly as conservatives apparently

>finding minirities attractive is what's wrong with comics

Really? Explain pls

>there’s been this massive discussion about inclusion and diversity … But Marvel is not about politics. We are about telling stories about the world.

Which is why we hired talentless hacks with blatantly political agendas to make our books, instead of hiring people that know how to draw or write.

I always liked the introductory teaser that revealed Riri made her proto-type Iron Man suit by stealing randomly electronics off her college campus. Considering what an Iron Man suit is and that she's as a tech institute, did she just walk around picking up 4-5 digit pieces of computer tech and electronics?

Hey boss, we want to introduce a replacement character for an established hero. It might be a bit controversial cause she's black. Can we make her an asshole thief? That's not a stereotype at all!

brilliant

Imagine what she'd look like with helmet hair.

Sup Forums is infested with tumblrites and oil drillers.

A shame really.

Yeah, he hasn't done anything he said he'd do.

>Who would've thought virtue signaling would be a bad idea?
you mean SJW pandering with higher than thou tones and an absurd lack of creativity.
yes who could have thought. I mean, its not like EVERYONE who buy their comics was complaining about capt Hydra and killing/replace the top characters for female, black, asian or gay cheap, hipster and totally uncharismatic versions of them.
I mean, crazy, right, is almost like they dont know their own consumers

>Ultimates is one of the best books Marvel is publishing
Honestly, I'd never realized it until just now that there's only one white character on The Ultimates and it's a woman.

Diversity works when the writing is the tits.

>She didn't do nothin
yeah, and still they say she is better and smarter than anyone in the marvel universe, past, present and future tense.
Richards and Stark had graduated high school at her age

If people had real respect for minorities, they'd put them in good stories instead of using them as a means of making money. In other words, as slaves.

I never really got how virtue signalling is defined by those who use it. It seems to be just invective than describing an action, and to shut down conversation.

>You couldn't possibly believe in that because I don't. Therefore, you are virtue signalling.

they are.
blind dumb arrogant fuckers who should be fired, all of them, but hey, I dint see that happening for some reason

Imagine her giving blowjobs, smooching to balls and shieeeet

>race/gender bend already existing characters
>call people who didn't buy the characters books bigoted
Is marvel this stupid or are they really trying to pressure/scare people into buying their comics

for years we had to endure the SJW nazi editorials from Marvel.
now they are defeated, we will gloat.
and we will gloat a lot, fucker.

They mistakenly believed the loud minority on twitter and tumblr actually bought comics

me too, but not all cute afros in the world can make me read current marvel sjw pandering, its just too bad.

Actually, when you write good stories, this "diversity" thing occurs on its own. The only people who give a shit about diversity is rich white people who a guilt complex, who are the most racist people around. And they're usually leftists.

If Marvel really wanted to write relevant stories, they should be writing cyberpunk shit. They should be writing about government coverups, conspiracies, man vs machine... They should be writing shit Asimov wrote about ages ago.

>I never really got how virtue signalling is defined by those who use it.

Probably because you're dumb.

>>You couldn't possibly believe in that because I don't. Therefore, you are virtue signalling.

Yeah, dumb.

Oh fuck off, let people have their fun
They've had to put up with your whining for a lot longer, so give them the same courtesy

Well they also have Based Jim Tensen, Goat-Starer.

hahaha, well no one would ever expect Marvel to admit they screw shit up, is alwasy the readers fault, and they wonder why we stop SUPPORTING THEM WITH OUR MONEY, UNGRATEFUL CUNTS, WHO THEY THINK PAY THEIR BILLS???

You sure got me, unless you're just virtue signalling?

So let me get this stright for medium that has white males as top buyers the most powerful, smart people are a black super man, black female iron man, black female kid before was a male chimp and a space and time traveling lesbian mexican. Black mexican spider man.
I wonder why those white dudes aren't finding themself in those new comix and not buying stuff? I mean I would understood if the writers and people doing the art were all white, but it looks like they still are white jews or asians.

really makes you ponder

It's about doing something performatively, basically. As the primary reason. Like so many arguments it gets turned cancerous by the people who use it but at the core there's definitely a fair point there.

They should also write about how people are getting torn apart by politics. It's not hard. I could do it. You just write about things both sides can agree on.

>I can't stand my parents because they have opposite political views, but I still love them.
>My kid has embraced a radical new trend, and I'm very concerned about it.
>My coworkers and I don't get along as well since the election.
>Some of my friends seem like zombified robots because they've become passionate about their political views.

And you don't have to talk about it directly. Use metaphors. That's what fucking Hydra is for.

How many more of these threads are we going to have?

Please tell me this is not a real thing, and it is some fan made stuff.

All of them, apparently.

You know, it's not like this page only pissed off white men. I know women who hate Aaron Thor because it reads in parts like a college student doing Feminism 101 who just HAS to tell you about it.

It's generally a loudly announced belief without any conviction or action to back it up, especially if it'd be inconvenient for the virtue holder to do so.

Let me put it to you this way, who do you respect more? Somebody that volunteers at a soup kitchen every week, or somebody that spends a lot of time on twitter "raising awareness" by retweeting click-bait articles?

As far as comics go, if Marvel wants more diverse characters, you wanna know how they do it? Nice and slow. Maybe replace 1 established name at most(with a sensible set-up and time for that hero to retire/pass the mantle) and start up 2-3 new original characters. Do the long, hard work of establishing a nice setting and universe and background characters, give them a few years of solid stable arcs, nothing too ground-breaking, but focus on simple, good stories with basic fundamentals. What's one of the appeals of a big name in comics? You can pick up any known good Batman story and see basically the same thing: a dude waging a vigilante war at street level against interesting psychotics.

So you spend years slowly introducing more believable characters who happen to be women or gay or brown or whatever. That's diversity in comics.

Instead we get a bunch of hype building limp dick events, they build hate by shafting old favorites(remember Tony Stark? HE'S GONE!!! Thor? UNWORTHY!!!), and when we do try to reinvent characters they hire some dumbass webcomic artist who writes How Do You Do Fellow Children lines. Squirrel Girl, Wildcat, Wasp. I liked the idea of new Wasp until I read about six pages into it. Holy Hell. You can't disguise poor quality with cries of bigotry.

Oh and pic related. All the girls I named are functionally identical in personality: lol randumb so quirky to the point of autism. You can't have character without any risk.

Until the schadenfreude wears off

>That's what fucking Hydra is for.
Hydra now is only to represent how white cis men are all evil without exceptions

as many it takes to the tumblerinas to leave

LEAVE ME ALONE. I JUST WANT TO DRINK MY APPLE JUICE AND WHACK OFF TO STEVEN UNIVERSE.

So until the old characters come back and still suck balls because they're written by the same people?

hmmmm

I don't mind diversity and I don't mind new faces in comics. I actually encourage it, since comics really are fairly stagnant with the same old heroes dealing with the same old issues.

But why can't they fucking keep it to the new characters? Why did Thor have to be a woman? Why did Iron Man have to become a black woman? Kamala being Ms. Marvel I can take since that title has been thrown around all over the place in the past anyway, but she also could have easily been a new character.

Moon Girl is a good example of diversity done right. New character, original ideas (kind of) and the focus isn't on her being black or a girl.

>They should be writing shit Asimov wrote about ages ago.

"I am awesome, also I'd fuck myself."

YOU CAN DO THAT ON TUMBLR, NOW GO AWAY FOR FUCK SAKE. YOU PEOPLE DON'T EVEN LIKE Sup Forums!

>virtue signaling
Neck yourself

Because it's hard making new ideas and developing them. Better use someone who's already had the legwork done for them and fuck it all up with my glorified fanfiction tier ideas.

I HAVE NO EXPLANATIONS, NEITHER LOGICAL NOR EMOTIONAL, FOR WHY I AM HERE. I SIMPLY CONSUME AND GO UP MY OWN BELLY BUTTON. I'LL PROBABLY BECOME A SEX OFFENDER IN MY 30S.

Also, why is it that no one thinks it's enough for the character to be whatever it is they are (black/muslim/trans/woman) for diversity? It's like that's not good enough for them, and they have to beat you over the head with entire story lines and pages of dialogue about whatever special snowflake characteristic they have.

If you just had the character be "diverse" without forcing down the readers throats, then it would actually show diversity quite well and show that the characters are much more than just their race, religion or sex. Being so straight-forward and blunt about it just gives far less credibility to the "diversity" schtick and actually sets back whatever group they're representing by making the characters act like total assholes.

THEN YOU CAN COME BACK WHEN YOU ARE 31, BY THEN YOU WILL BE Sup Forums MATERIAL

But there in lies the problem, how do you know they're doing it performatively as opposed to genuinely? It seems like there's bias in that evaluation.

> Maybe replace 1 established name at most(with a sensible set-up and time for that hero to retire/pass the mantle) and start up 2-3 new original characters.

Isn't that what happened? Miles had been around since 2011. Then Kamala shortly after.

What decides what's "too fast" for an audience? Why is that it take years for black/gay/trans character to be believable, why wouldn't they just exist?

>You can't have character without any risk

I agree.

NO NO NO NO NO STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS

FUCK THIS SHIT, I'M GOING TO GO BURN MY EBT MONEY

AND THEN I'M GONNA THREATEN TO COMMIT SUICIDE. IT'LL BE ALL YOUR FAULT, user. ALL YOUR FAULT. YOU'LL BE THE ONE WHO DID IT. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY.

When people turn shipping into a morality issue, it's either disingenuous or they're legit crazy.

>What decides what's "too fast" for an audience?
Throwing them in crossovers when their first runs are doing well. It's cool when lightning seems to strike early and you've got people, but throwing them in everything early because they've got hype will burn people out on them really fast. At least these days.

Bendis was a shitlord in the 00s and now he's "found God."
Captain America, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Iron Man, and Hank Pym have all been replaced in the past few years and that's a problem.

more sjw tears please

>I'M GONNA THREATEN TO COMMIT SUICIDE.
WE DO LOVE THOSE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO BROADCAST THAT LIVE ON Sup Forums
TAG THE THREAD AS "AN HERO" OR SOMETHING

>liberal propaganda fails again
what a shocker. next you are going to tell me that the democrats amazing strategy of calling all white racist and all men sexist also failed

This man gets it

yeah
have you seen Europe
white and all their culture will be a thing of the past int he next 50 years thanks to their retarded open borders policies and deep hatred of white people

liberals are the real nazis

Hey, Jessica--loosen up and it won't hurt so bad!

I'm waiting for the day that Alan Moore makes some statement about feminism, and I'm going to fucking hate it.

The problem there is Marvel never aknowledging their artists/writers mistakes, so now it's the reader's fault for not buying this at full price.
It's the same shit as when people complained about greg land or poser art in main story arcs that ended up cancelled.

There are two Iron Man comics currently. Neither of them star Tony Stark.

This is the problem. People want to read about the characters they like, not imposters to the name.

He's still trying to find a way to piss of the most people with the least words.

real question to all the Sup Forumsmblr liberal cucks

when is there enough "diverstiy"?
when white people are a minority in every western country?
when Christianity is dead?
when white men are less then 40% of students at university? opps that has already been the case for 20 years now

I hope you still get satisfied by jerking off to news stories about how some "refugee" raped another European women or how another Islamic attack cost the lives of docents of innocent Europeans

because that is all on you and your retarded world view

Arcade a cute

>Make utter trash comics even normies wont buy
>"The audience is just too racist and misogynistic to buy our products!"

really activates my almonds

Everyone who unironically uses the phrase 'virtue signalling' should be gassed. If you look at someone attempting to do things that people will like and tell yourself "t-they're just signalling virtue!" you should be gassed. If you look at people attempting to be nice to others and tell yourself "virtue signalling!" because you are so upset by the idea of being nice to others you'd rather believe it's somehow a bad thing, you should be gassed. If you look at a media company attempting to make money from a broader audience by actually acknowledging their existence, and you interpret this (or any other attempt to interest/please people who are not you) as 'virtue signalling', you should be gassed. If you have taken flight from the world you share with other human beings in favour of a fake one where everybody is a cardboard facade, you should be gassed. Marvel can neither make good comics nor market them competently and if you agree with the retard blaming diversity for poor sales you should probably be gassed. Thanks

So is that the function of diversity or of editorial?

How is it different than any other legacy character that's been done for the last 30-40 years?

and that was official art.
to think I used to think Liefield was a hack.

This looks like a webcomic.

You are the one that should be gassed. If you can't see how bad Marvel virtue signalling is you should again be gassed. I mean really, it's like you either never read anything in this decade or you think shit like what they do is actually okay. Fuck you.

It's funny you bring up soup kitchens.

Bendis used to work for a soup kitchen, think he still does, it's how he met his current wife. The thing is, he's a terrible writer and is trying to appropriate spiderman for his 8 black kids, 7 of which are adopted.

I'd actually have respect for him if he tried to make new balck chaarcters as popular, like McDuffy, but he's only interested in making his mark by taking an already established character for himself. He's fucking despicable.