But if diversity isn’t to blame, what is...

>But if diversity isn’t to blame, what is? Part of the answer is that Marvel fails at actually putting principles of diverse representation into practice. While heroes who don’t fit the straight white male mold are in greater supply than they were in previous years, most Marvel creators are still white men. This leads to issues such as characters of color whose attitudes towards race come from white authors, which does not sit well with many readers.

>When Brian Michael Bendis writes Miles Morales as being upset with a fan who mentions his black heritage, or when Nick Spencer has Sam Wilson apologize to Steve Rogers for any activism-fueled anger he may have displayed in the past, it comes off as tone-deaf and leaves readers understandably less than thrilled. The same comic features multiethnic villains who are parodies of the “Social Justice Warrior” stereotype, who shout phrases like “You should be an ally, not helping to defend oppression culture!” and “Consider this your trigger warning!” as they throw grenades at Sam. (Spencer later jumped into a critical Twitter thread by Blerds Online to explain why he was in the right, which didn’t help.)

>Let’s also remember SHIELD #8 (2015), written by Mark Waid, where a black woman viewing her young son’s corpse remarks, “He was no angel“—the same phrase used to vindicate Michael Brown’s murder.

nerdist.com/marvel-diversity-comics-david-gabriel-wrong/

Hear that Sup Forums? Marvel is actually losing sales because they're NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT ENOUGH.

problem isn't Marvel's diversity it's that they write shitty stories with diversity or without it

They're hilariously wrong about that Captain America scene

ANOTHER FUCKING THREAD

REEEEEEEE YOU CUNTS REEEEEEE GET THE FUCK OUT REEEEEEEEEEE FUCK OFF NORMIES

>nerdist

Problem with Marvel's take on diversity is that they have shit writers who make the characters into bland mary sues or when they have something good in their hands, exploit it to the point they ruin it.

>“Consider this your trigger warning!” as they throw grenades at Sam.
This is the same writer as Superior Foes

right, trigger warning jokes are for guns!!

The problem is that if you want to include diversity, go ahead, but with new characters.

Nobody asked for black girl iron man, lady thor, black spiderman, asian hulk etc.

Just create new heroes.

Why does every article from every POV act like Diamond numbers = sales success?

I know they're all we've got to go on but we can't say definitively that X book was more popular than Y book based on those rankings. Yet everybody does this.

And yes, Thor was a sales success. A lot of the other stuff Marvel has been doing has been jumping on that bandwagon. Turns out as usual, copying a success doesn't lead to more successes.

they are new characters though
it's not like they made peter black

also no one in your list is shit or a bad idea except new thor, the problem is the writers are just bad

also I bet you aren't even buying or at least reading mosaic

>>Let’s also remember SHIELD #8 (2015), written by Mark Waid, where a black woman viewing her young son’s corpse remarks, “He was no angel“—the same phrase used to vindicate Michael Brown’s murder.
>>Mark Waid
>>One of the most overly liberal writers in current comics.
>>NOT LIBERAL ENOUGH

I have every issue of mosaic.

I know they are different characters. But they are still black spiderman, asian hulk, etc.

political spencer and funny spencer are basically two different people

>>Marvel shouldn't dare show black people in a bad light ever!
>>Now if you excuse me, I'm going to listen to rap about killing faggots.

>I have every issue of mosaic.
Pleasantly surprised

>But if diversity isn’t to blame, what is?
BORING SHIT, BORING SHIT IS TO BLAME

I read Remender's Uncanny X-Force and I have Wolverine, Deadpool, Psylocke, Fantomex, and Angel going out on assassination missions, preventing the destruction of the world from a new apocalypse kid, fighting a bunch of cyborgs and shit, with fun and entertaining dialogue, good relationship building, and an existence within the universe that goes beyond just the Avengers

What the fuck do I get when I read now? The only remotely interesting comic is the Ultimates

>Priest quit Marvel because he didn't want to just be "the guy that writes black characters"

This is a no-win situation, isn't it?

This. All the new diversity books are just slice of life bullshit. I don't read superhero comics for non-stories with no stakes.

>“He was no angel“—the same phrase used to vindicate Michael Brown’s murder.
Tell that to the Department of Justice.

>This is a no-win situation, isn't it?
This is the essential thesis of Critical Theory, yes.

niggas got to choose their battles

don't back up a criminal who was looking to murder a cop, the other black kid who was shot in florida or whatever had a better story

yes. yes it is. that is half the reason this ideology is so fucking backwards.

>Spencer engaging in five hours of twitter slap fights over who is more progressive
>SJW's yelling at Marvel for not being progressive enough even though they managed to alienate their regular audience by being too woke

My sides, they hurt

well that's a little bit true. most bad things are a sort-of-good-thing done poorly

Why the fuck are we responding to a random blog post?

This person is a literal nobody. Do you argue with the "end is nigh" bum at the street corner, too?

> She has has an MA with Distinction in Creative Writing, and is currently pursuing a PhD on transatlantic narratives in contemporary comics

Jesus Fuck.

There is no pleasing these people, even when Black comic creators called out to the SJW and black fans who were complaining about there not being enough black comic creators because they weren't supporting them and just bitching the SJW just bitched more at them.

I was going to say, are those real? Lol, what a waste of money.

Dear god, my brain actually had to skip a beat before realizing who I was looking at.
For a second I thought
>Rule 63 Sentry? No, no.
The conditioning is quite thorough.

They are phonies.

You know what? Let them become even more PC. I'll make me some popcorn in the flames of Marvel crashing and burning.

>become even more PC
I shudder to think that it might happen.

Wasnt secret wars made with one of the main purposes to get miles in the main universe because he was selling so well?

Yeah, extremists tend to psychologically deflect any potential downfalls or shortcoming to their extremism. To the zealot, when others of the faithful fail it is because they weren't holy enough.

wait, you Americans seriously read comics for politics? fucking kek.

Nothing is ever PC enough for regressives. They won't be happy until their specific tone of not-white skin holds majority power over others and whites hold none. They're racists to the core and authoritarian in how they go about grabbing power.

It's lunacy to listen to these people because nothing will ever be good enough for them, they will always want more from you until you have nothing left to give.