The real reason Kataang happened

Aang's massive growth spurt throughout ATLA

Why does nobody ever talk about this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H3QnfzQd9fE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it is an entirely inane and retarded topic to base a conversation on.

Well, it can't compete with your post in that, that's for sure.

The real reason Kataang happened is because Bryke tacked it on at the end with insufficient build up.

Kataang happened because Bryke were shitty writers and wanted their self insert to get the girl as icing on the cake even though it contradicted the whole point of being the Avatar.

Aang literally gave up nothing by choice, but gets everything he ever wanted.

>Meanwhile, Zuko throws away his thrown, rebukes nearly two decades of cultural indoctrination, becomes an ally against Fire Nation imperialism, nearly gets deep fried once and actually gets deep fried twice, all while getting screamed at by Katara.

Yup, but Aang's the hero, guys.

History is written by the victors, and since Zuko switched sides he also is a hero. To be honest, without Zuko Aang would probably not have learned firebending, would have probably either stayed at the Fire Nation guarding the throne on the day of Sozins Comet, or would have been in a family trio scorching the Earth Kingdom as one big happy family, killing millions.

The Gaang are all heroes.

>get the girl as icing on the cake even though it contradicted the whole point of being the Avatar.
except for all the previous avatars who had wives or husbands?

>it contradicted the whole point of being the Avatar
Since fucking when?

>zuko should get a gf because he was a self sacrificing nice guy

lol?

Implying Zuko / Jin isn't the best pairing.

I think that user only watched the movie.

>Kataang happened because Bryke were shitty writers and wanted their self insert to get the girl as icing on the cake.
>Aang literally gave up nothing by choice, but gets everything he ever wanted.

If you'd left it there, you'd have an argument.

Ah, of course, because Aang didn't get shot by lightning, nearly dying and leaving two scars each bigger than Zuko's one, didn't have his closest companion stolen and nearly killed ("we could sell him for parts"), AND DIDN'T HAVE HIS ENTIRE PEOPLE GENOCIDED. Fuck you!

You are clearly the one projecting yourself in Zuko and getting mad because he didn't get the hot brown babe.

Zuko Katara is all self insertion.

Girls want to insert as Katara and get the hot bad boy, not the bald monk.
Guys want to insert as Zuko and get the water tribe pussy, instead of the dour emo.

Ewww.....is Aang dating a nigger in that pic?

>nearly died
>nearly killed

Yes, what amazing sacrifices Aang nearly made.

Above hasn't watched the show.

>end of series
>Zuko sits comfortably on the throne with his hot wife by his side

by your logic he didn't sacrifice anything either and the only one who actually made any sacrifice at all throughout the series is Sokka because space sword is never coming back.

Well, we don't know for sure about space sword.
The rest is correct though.

Guys like you are the reason oh why I support ANTIFA.

If you ever get out of your basement, I hope one of them find you..

>implying space sword didn't wash ashore 150 years later to be found by its next worthy wielder

The issue wasn't about spouses, it was about earthly attachments.

If an Avatar could have a good relationship without it interferring, fine. If not, they'd get Kuruk'd. Not a good alternative.

Aang was attached to Katara in a way that interferred with his duty - he left the guru before finishing opening his chakras and then lied to Sokka and Toph's faces about it.

I never said I supported Zutara. I even posted a Maiko fanart because Mai is best grill.

Lies.

>got shot by lightning

That happened because Aang didn't stay with the fucking guru, and it nearly killed him in the Avatar state and left the world defenceless. That is not a good argument for "Aang being self sacrificing".

>companion stolen
>his people genocided

You're getting "bad things happening" confused with "willing sacrifice". The former is needed for pathos, the latter for heroism.

When Aang's people were massacred, it was because Aang couldn't deal with having his teacher taken from him, so he ran away instead of biting the bullet and going to train in another air temple. Aang did not make a willing sacrifice, he made a stupid (but sympathetic mistake) and suffered the cost.

When Zuko confronted Ozai, he put everything on the line for no other reason than it was the right thing to do. Zuko knows Aang doesn't know firebending. He knows what Ozai's plans are. It would have been self serving and smart to sit tight with the Fire Nation. Zuko didn't. He threw it away in a last ditch attempt to save the world. He entered into a situation knowing he was likely to suffer because it was right.

>Projecting

>because I made a half ass character analysis

>emo girls
>she's goth

Fucking this. It was not a risk he calculated for.

>Being this mad on a Chinese image board.

Where does this Chinese meme come from? Shouldn't it be Japanese?

I feel like I'm missing out on a great joke here...

>being tough-guy racist in a Chinese image board

Show a picture of you and your girlfriend, I want to see how the perfect Aryan looks like.

Except he opened the chakra in the very next episode, otherwise he wouldn't be floating there.
Ehasz must've wanted the issue to come up again so Zutara could happen, even though it makes no sense because Azula is not an agent of the cosmos... as far as we are made aware.

Nah, too happy-looking to be a Sup Forums tier.

Try something more virgin.

He definitely grew and spurted.

Pic related: evidence

youtube.com/watch?v=H3QnfzQd9fE

Where is your picture, man? Why is an aryan god afraid to show how he looks like and how his awesome girlfriend is hot?

That's Brazil, isn't it?

>opened the chakra

Which, to me, was fucking shoehorned.

The issue was Aang had an earthly attachment. He didn't let it go, he activated the Avatar State to rescue Katara. That's not letting her go. Then he got shot down and nearly Korra'd everyone.

>Ehasz wanted Zutara to happen

Okay, while I do love Maiko I think Zutara would have been better than Kataang. Also, I don't really think Ehasz ships Zutara, Zutara fans painted him as the "best writer on the show" who "shipped Zutara" to spite Bryke. I could be wrong though, my knowledge of the behind the scenes is sketchy.

I'm really not trying to be contrarian. I don't hate Aang. I think I'm one of the few people on Sup Forums that genuinely loves how Aang spared Ozai's life. I just think that Aang should have given up a lot more than he did, and Katara was one of those things.

samefag

There's a lot of similarities between Avatar and Star Wars. Crossroads of Destiny is totally the Empire Strikes Back. The Guru is Yoda. Both Aang and Luke get premonitions about a friend people in danger and risk their training to save them. Their friends are captured by the second in command who fucks them up.

>BOTH SHOULDN'T GET THE GIRL

>Which, to me, was fucking shoehorned.
But that part of the ep was entirely Ehasz-written. Or at least I haven't seen anyone claim otherwise.

It's not "similarities". It is the Hero's Journey.

And Luke didn't get the girl because the girl was his fucking sister. Aang didn't have this problem.

There is more in the narrative to support Zuko and Katara developing a romantic connection that Katara and Aang. Like, I don't give a fuck about shipping, so I don't have a horse in this race. They could've made Kataang a very satisfying romance if they tried, but the fact of the matter is it didn't even make sense at the end. We could've seen Katara start to rely on Aang more in Book 3 for support as he matured, rather than the reverse that we had seen for the rest of the series. There's a reason that people refer to their relationship as mother/son, because it's ALWAYS Katara taking care of Aang. She puts up a front for Aang and the Gang, and never do we see that Katara feels comfortable baring her vulnerabilities before Aang, and rely on him for emotional strength. The level of communication that you would expect from partners just isn't there. On the other hand, who does Katara lay her emotions bare for? Zuko. In Crossroads, in The Southern Raiders and in the Finale. Obviously it would be fucking retarded to end with them together, but the trust, communication and mutual respect that develops between the two of them would realistically, be far more likely to lead to romance than the relationship between Aang and Katara AS PRESENTED in the show.

inb4
>B-but Katara blushed at Aang this one time!

Neck yourself. If this romance was in LoK you'd be shitting all over it. Because the rest of ATLA is generally good, you're far more likely to overlook the flaws and shit writing that it has.

You're the one here TRIGGERED because there are brown people in cartoons, user.

Your picture, where is it? Show me, I wanna laugh.

>still replying

>There is more in the narrative to support Zuko and Katara developing a romantic connection that Katara and Aang.
There was not a single romantic moment between Zuko and Katara. There were numerous such moments between Aang and Katara.

Fucking Tokka had more hints than Zutara.

I. Want. To. See.

I have yet to see one white supremacist that doesn't look like placenta. Of course I am curious about an aryan god user.

man, you're butthurt af

>still replying

So you're saying that Aang would've fucked his sister?

>I have yet to see one white supremacist
user stop using slurs, white supremacists don't exist

>If this romance was in LoK you'd be shitting all over it.
Dunno about that, but it would be a definite improvement over ~99% of the romance in LOK.

This is the biggest problem with Zutarans.

They REALLY think that their tumblr-tier deep analysis are evidence of their ship.

This is the biggest problem with Kataangers. They're so into their ship they're blinded to how shittily written it really was.

Once again, they COULD'VE made it work, but they didn't.

This is the problem with most ATLA shippers: they don't recognize the blatant superiority of Tokka.

I don't really care who wrote what.

>that was the only reason Luke didn't get Leia

>only reason

>Hero's Journey
Yeah, obviously in general that's true. I'm saying that there were lots of smaller details connecting the two and that's interesting.

My problem with Kataang is that a lot of stuff went unresolved.

Aang kisses Katara TWICE without her permission, and never apologises. He pushes his romantic feelings on her and shows no respect for her boundaries.

When Katara is talking about her mom being murdered, Aang equates it to his fucking pet being stolen.

Zuko is there at the finale for all of Katara's big, pivotal moments. He's the obstacle she overcomes at the end of season 1 (she's no longer afraid of some Fire Nation boogeyman, she's a master waterbender). He's the person she feels sympathy for as she wrestles with her own projections and prejudice ("whenever I saw the face of the enemy"). He's saves her and they both learn about forgiveness through each other in a scene which is a microcosm for post-war relations with the Fire Nation, etc.

Zuko's always been essential to Katara's biggest emotional steps. She's been able to open up to him and it's clear he "gets" where she's coming from.

Zuko never forgave Ozai in the series, and I think it's because he understands that forgiveness is not always necessary. Sometimes the best thing for a person is learning to hate the person who hurt you, rather than hating yourself. That's why Zuko empathised with Katara's desire for revenge against Yon Ra. And while I feel Aang was right - Katara didn't need blood, she needed to confront her past - it's clear that Zuko understood her feelings rather than just lectured at her.

I don't know, as much as I love Maiko and Mai's journey, Zutara made a lot more sense than Kataang.

>Implying anyone but an insane shipper cares about the relationships in avatar.
I'm not telling you to get a life but find something more productive to focus on

>not Makolin

>They're so into their ship they're blinded to how shittily written it really was.

If it had been Zutaran, would be even shitier, user, because your "deep analysis" is fanfic, pure and simple.

>Aang kisses Katara TWICE without her permission, and never apologises.
There was nothing to apologize for the first time, unless you're too autistic to tell romantic interest.

>She's been able to open up to him and it's clear he "gets" where she's coming from.
What? When did this happen?

When exactly was Katara more open about her feelings with Zuko than any other Gaang member?

>Zuko is there at the finale for all of Katara's big, pivotal moments. He's the obstacle she overcomes at the end of season 1 (she's no longer afraid of some Fire Nation boogeyman, she's a master waterbender). He's the person she feels sympathy for as she wrestles with her own projections and prejudice ("whenever I saw the face of the enemy"). He's saves her and they both learn about forgiveness through each other in a scene which is a microcosm for post-war relations with the Fire Nation, etc.
>Zuko's always been essential to Katara's biggest emotional steps. She's been able to open up to him and it's clear he "gets" where she's coming from.
>Zuko never forgave Ozai in the series, and I think it's because he understands that forgiveness is not always necessary. Sometimes the best thing for a person is learning to hate the person who hurt you, rather than hating yourself. That's why Zuko empathised with Katara's desire for revenge against Yon Ra. And while I feel Aang was right - Katara didn't need blood, she needed to confront her past - it's clear that Zuko understood her feelings rather than just lectured at her.

Very well said, I couldn't agree more.

Tell me about it user.

>She's been able to open up to him

>Katara literally tried to convince anyone else about her need for revenge before having to rely on Zuko, her last choice.
>Zuko agreed just because he was desperate for her acceptance.
>Shipper sees this as "Katara is open with him and only he understands her".

No wonder Zutarains are laughing stocks.

>Zuko is there at the finale for all of Katara's big, pivotal moments. He's the obstacle she overcomes at the end of season 1 (she's no longer afraid of some Fire Nation boogeyman, she's a master waterbender). He's the person she feels sympathy for as she wrestles with her own projections and prejudice ("whenever I saw the face of the enemy"). He's saves her and they both learn about forgiveness through each other in a scene which is a microcosm for post-war relations with the Fire Nation, etc.
See, I can agree with pretty much all of these moments pointing to something - except for one minor detail: every single one of them was clearly shoehorned in by the writing. I can point out contrived coincidences and other writing snafus in every finale without which none of these would have happened. (And virtually none of this is true for Kataang interactions, BTW.)

When the only way for your ship to happen is to literally force the characters together in highly contrived situations, it's probably not natural.

Y-you t-t-too...

Katara's big issue is that she acts like a mommy to everyone.

Katara dumps a lot of her emotions about her mother on Zuko, and he apologizes. She opens up, accepts his apology, and is almost instantly ready to forgive him.

We know that Katara took Zuko's pain over Ursa seriously because she CITES it as the reason she trusted him ("he starts talking about his mom.."). So Katara's open heartedness in Crossroads wasn't a "Katara being nice" thing, it was a very specific response to a commonality between her and Zuko as people.

The whole of the Southern Raiders is Zuko trying to win Katara's forgiveness by emphasizing a shared truama between them. Katara accepts this, lets Zuko accompany her on what is easily one of the most traumatic experiences of her life (she could have easily gotten the map and told Zuko to fuck off and wait at the bison), and then forgives him again.

I could be forgetting something important, but I'm almost positive that Katara never breaks down and cries about her mom around any other character. She spends a lot of her time nurturing them, but not really venting to them in that way.

1. I ship Maiko.
2. If you don't see the value in the fact that Zuko was the only one who ended up respecting that need, or about his desperation for her acceptance, than I can't help you.

Whether you want to read it as platonic or romantic, it's clear the Zuko and Katara value one another. Zuko couldn't consider himself redeemed until he gained Katara's approval - and he was in the middle of teaching the Avatar firebending to save the world because "[he does] care what she thinks of [him]".

>highly contrived

Literally what.

Season 1: Katara guards Aang because she's his friend and travel companion. They fight because Zuko is following Aang.

Season 2: I'll admit Zuko and Katara magically being in the same prison is contrived - but you could say that them running into Jet earlier in the series. In other words, while circumstances are exceptional, the charcters themselves behaved naturally.

>or hell, the contrivance that Aang, Katara, Sokka and Zuko were all in the South Pole at the same time and found him and then Zuko comes to the-

Sometimes you gotta just shove characters in the same spot for the sake of the plot.

3. Zuko asks Katara to come with him to confront Azula. She agrees.

Only one of these was contrived.

>Kataang was never contrived

A giant lion turtle appeared from the water to grant Aang deuz ex machina powers to unlock his chakras without Katara having to be Pi Lee'd.

>Katara dumps a lot of her emotions about her mother on Zuko
Because he was the only one there. Not "the only one that can understand her", but" the only one PHYSICALLY there when she was venting". She didn't choose him.

When she was with the rest of the Gaang and could choose, Zuko was her LAST choice to talk about her mother.

According to you, Sokka is only capable of opening up with Zuko, because they talked about his father and his girlfriend.

>If you don't see the value in the fact that Zuko was the only one who ended up respecting that need, or about his desperation for her acceptance, than I can't help you.

He was desperate for her acceptance because she was the only one that didn't accept him.

>Zuko couldn't consider himself redeemed until he gained Katara's approval

BECAUSE SHE WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT DIDN'T ACCEPT HIM.

Without the acceptance of the whole gang, he would feel unwelcomed. If it was Aang that accepted him at last, then he "couldn't consider himself redeemed until he gained Aang's approval". If it was Sokka, then he "couldn't consider himself redeemed until he gained Sokka's approval".

Your attempts to read deep into Avatar to justify your ship made clear that you didn't understand even what happened in the surface.

The lion turtle didn't unlock Aang's chakras.

Not them btw.
>Zuko was her LAST choice to talk about her mother.
He was the only one who she even mentioned her to, out of anger initially, and then of a shared understanding. She certainly never talked to Aang about it.

>She didn't choose him.
She did for the Southern Raiders mission BECAUSE he was the only one who understood what she was going through. She tells Aang and Sokka straight to their faces that they don't understand what she's feeling

>He was desperate for her acceptance because she was the only one that didn't accept him.
You don't think he that wanted to redeem himself after what happened between them in seasons 1 and 2? The trust that he broke between them in Crossroads is a huge part of that finale. Irrefutable.

>BECAUSE SHE WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT DIDN'T ACCEPT HIM.
If you don't think there was more to it than that, then there really is no helping you. There's a reason why she didn't accept him - because he had hurt her the most on a personal level. Sokka and Aang never had the same personal connection to Zuko that Katara had.

This isn't a deep reading, it's just what happened in the show.

>They fight because Zuko is following Aang.
Who was only there because he was a complete idiot who somehow survived going through all that shit. This interaction was still pretty cool though, because it wasn't clearly trying to induce Zutara, unlike the other ones.
>I'll admit Zuko and Katara magically being in the same prison is contrived
That's not the only thing - what about Azula (you know, the 4D chess character of ATLA) not bothering to check whether Katara had any water on her? The whole scar portion of the cave scene wouldn't have worked otherwise. (IIRC there was something else as well, but I can't recall it right now.)
Setting off the plot of the whole show doesn't count, BTW.
>but you could say that them running into Jet earlier in the series
What are you talking about? Jet was specifically sicced on them by the Dai Li BECAUSE of their earlier meeting.
>Zuko asks Katara to come with him to confront Azula. She agrees.
There is no explanation whatsoever provided in the episode as to why he chooses Katara out of nowhere, and it's obvious why: because there is no good reason for it. Before the whole grating thing, it's pretty clear that nobody knew there was a decent source of water right there. Zuko also left two NONbenders to fight against nearly unbeatable odds (even if Toph was there too) by choosing Katara to go with him instead.
>A giant lion turtle appeared from the water to grant Aang deuz ex machina powers to unlock his chakras
Have you gone insane, user? The lion turtle had NOTHING to do with unlocking Aang's chakras. That was that (very, very stupid, I freely admit it) rock. And the lion turtle was not contrived in the least, though the rock was... but again, the whole chakra setup throughout Book 3 reeked of Zutarian shenanigans, because it's just nonsensical to have an actual person (Azula) be the ultimate reason why Aang has to give up Katara (not to mention that plot point is rather stupid anyways, if "give up" means "don't date".)

>She did for the Southern Raiders mission
BECAUSE he was the only one who understood what she was going through.
No, she didn't choose him. She tried to convince the whole Gaang before having to rely on Zuko, who only agreed because he was desperate for her acceptance in the group.

>The trust that he broke between them in Crossroads
Literally a two minutes dialogue. The trust of a life.

>Sokka and Aang never had the same personal connection to Zuko that Katara had.
>personal connection
Literally two dialogues.

>This isn't a deep reading, it's just what happened in the show.
What happened in the show was a total of 5 minutes of interaction, none of them remotely romantic or deep. But you are trying to transform these 5 minutes into "she was clearly in love with him" using tumblr-tier argumentation.

>(IIRC there was something else as well, but I can't recall it right now.)
Other user's posts just now reminded me: Katara was incredibly OOC in going from outright hate to trying to fix Zuko's scar using the water she knew was incredibly special. We were also not shown much of their conversation, which I feel is because it would be extremely difficult to write convincingly - because of this.

First off, I never once mentioned romance.
>who only agreed because he was desperate for her acceptance in the group.
Wrong.

> She tried to convince the whole Gaang before having to rely on Zuko
Also wrong. She didn't even tell Aang and Sokka she was leaving because she knew they wouldn't understand.

>Literally a two minutes dialogue. The trust of a life.
There would've been more time between them down in the catacombs, don't be dense.

>Literally two dialogues.
I'm not even arguing a romantic connection! She had more of a personal connection To Zuko than the others had. Fact.

My argument isn't that they were canonically in love retard. Don't make up strawmen. I'm saying that by the end of the series they developed a strong bond, that very possibly could've led to romance. In fact, this was Ehasz's intent, so clearly I'm not insane.

>I'm saying that by the end of the series they developed a strong bond
And I'm saying that this "strong bond" amounts to less than ten minutes of interaction in the whole show, and ALL the situations that led to these glorious ten minutes were contrived.

>and ALL the situations that led to these glorious ten minutes were contrived.
Fuck you user, *I* said that. You didn't say shit.

Well whoever said it, I'm with this user The catacombs is a tad contrived, but that happens when you write a story. Sometimes convenient shit needs to happen. In any case it did happen, and there is reason for thinking that Zutara would've made sense.

>there is reason for thinking that Zutara would've made sense.
Would have made sense if they had more than ten minutes of interaction and all interactions weren't contrived. In other words, if the show was different.

Oh totally, I'm not suggesting they should've ended with them together or anything. There isn't enough there to justify it. If they had had another season like originally planned then I think it could've worked, and would realistically be more likely to occur than Kataang.

>massive growth spurt
>like 3 inches and still shorter than almost everybody

>just want to read a comfy story about the Gaang fucking their way across the world
>Sokka and Katara having steamy sex under the furs
>Aang slowly joining in
>first as a passive, helping Katara work Sokka's cock
>then growing into dominance and boning Katara together with Sokka
>and then Toph appears and the boys find themselves wearing jade buttplugs playing with each other for Toph's amusement as Katara services her
>lel, good luck, Rule34 stories are 99,9% shit and it's fucking impossible to find the good ones
I can't fucking believe visual media is easier to find than a good story nowadays.