There has never been more wasted potential in a western cartoon. GOAT music, dialogue, lore...

There has never been more wasted potential in a western cartoon. GOAT music, dialogue, lore, and set design all ruined by terrible airing/hiatus, petty writer squables and dumb Tumblr-tier writing. Prove me wrong.

Protip: you cant

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ocpJOripaVk
youtu.be/UlhOusGdMVA
youtube.com/watch?v=L-e_lODlDuc
youtu.be/Ip1eVBs7hC4?t=156
youtu.be/RSn23ReXfyQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There's literally already three other SU bait threads calling the show shit in the OP you dumb faggot, go to trash where you belong.

GOAT music:
80% of the people singing are terrible at singing I honestly have no idea why Sup Forums defends this. I love the instrumentals though.
Dialogue:
It can be funny, but there is a lot of melodrama. Crying in this show can give Zatch Bell a run for it's money. Greg's dialogue is great all the time though.
Lore:
I highly agree that this shit is getting wasted. Still eagerly await to see how things go.
Set design:
I like it.

What's this about writer squabbles though?

How can the dialogue and lore be GOAT if the writing is bad?
Like 40% of the writing IS the dialogue and lore

"Wasted potential" is such a nothing phrase.

Music isnt just the fucking musicals Karen
youtu.be/ocpJOripaVk

The Legend of Korra exists.

Misadventures of FlapJack. Maybe it was niche, but the story was so alluring.

Like I said. I like the instrumentals.

Some of the singers suck eggs.

>I love the instrumentals though.

Honestly I wonder how much of chiptune relies on nostalgia and how much is genuinely good music. Will people still give a shit about this once no one alive remembers midi files and 8 bit videogames?

This isnt chiptune.

youtu.be/UlhOusGdMVA

That's a good question. The chiptune scene in America and Japan are at very odd places in life.

However, I think there's a big difference in how pure chiptune music and music incorporating 8bit sounds will age.
8/16 bit music by itself will more than likely age much better than piano accompanied by it.

No, but it sounds like vidya nonetheless. Could have come straight from a Kingdom Hearts soundtrack.

That said, they do a really good job of tying music styles/instruments to characters and fusing them as the situation calls for.

Why does that meme keep going, anyway? I thought chiptune peaked years ago. It should be easy to define and identify now. Or is this spillover from people who watched AT?

There is a bit at 1:40 though

Well I meam, Steven Universe is largely video game inspired. The character design, monsters, etc. have that dreamy nintendo feel to them.

KH was mostly generic subdued scores when it wasn't directly riffing on the soundtrack of a Disney film. Except for Space Paranoids and the other Tron world, I guess.

Steven himself is represented by chiptunes, Garnet is synth bass and drum, Amethyst is drumkit and rave (almost euro sometimes), Pearl is Jazz piano. Greg is guitar and sometimes chiptune aswell. Its a prettt cool motif.

All the singing is garbage.

The instrumentals can be pretty good at times.
I hate Smokey Quartz as a fusion but I love it's theme.
youtube.com/watch?v=L-e_lODlDuc

Up there with "overrated" and "has a shitty fanbase".

Ben 10, well, at least the latter series, the original was decent, could've been better, but still decent.

Funny thing is when I watched the show with the expectation of the music it being good, and read the lyrics of the song, I was extremely disappointed.
I could barely remember any song's lyrics except for snippets of the refrain. The Intrsumentals while 'experimental' didn't really stick with me at all. I can't remember a single one.

Now I know a song being catchy doesn't make it good but I think it means something when the music doesn't make much of an lasting impression. Some songs don't even feel like songs at all.Honestly the way I read the lyrics in my head sounded and the way I thought the songs were going to be sung was more impactful than what I actually saw.

I find it odd how people are just now realizing that this show is going absolutely nowhere 4 seasons in. It was obvious for a while the show is inherently flawed, yet it seemed like people ignored it until now. I'm not even talking about Sup Forums exclusively, I'm seeing people all over the place that are getting sick of this shit, even Tumblr is pointing this out. Is this just Adventure Time all over again where one really bad episode is enough for everyone to simultaneously drop it at once due to fatigue building up over time?

I think back then we knew it was flawed, but it didn't praise it. They couldn't make everything perfect so they tried their damn hardest to make it as good as possible.

But know they're purposely exploiting their own flaws for lazy writing, bad animation, and they won't move the damn plot anywhere.

>4 seasons in
Well technicality what we have now wasn't even supposed to be 4 seasons….Wasn't it originally 2 seasons chopped into 4 for some weird reason?

This. Even if other shows are (marginally) worse, no cartoon in existence has ever squandered that much potential.

Hero 108
>Amazing unique and creative designs
>Good ideas for characters and kings
>Lore was interesting
>Writing was horrible

MoF is a masterpiece.

I'll skipped the filler but stopped altogether when they killed Jasper. How the show is still going with no antagonist is beyond me.

At least AT went on Adventures. If they used the SU formula every episode would be in the candy kingdom city or the tree house and dealing with Finn's emotional problems.

>weird reason
$$$

Only Jasper's proper return may save this show at this point.

What so Pearl can have a power jump and defeat her too?

Wait you're saying bait threads should go away or that SU threads should go away?

>Steven is a clutz and accidentally frees Jasper
>Jasper is gasping for breath and shocked to find Steven there staring at her scared
>remembers that the kid is a retard with autisticly high empathy
>tricks him into healing her corruption
>she punches him in the face and sprints out of the temple
>runs into Pearl alone on the beach
>Pearl fights and defeats her
>rebubbled
>Steven lets her free again later
>punched in the face again as she runs out
>this time beaten by Connie
>same shit happens a third time as she is running for her life trying to get out of beach city
>this time she's defeated by Greg
>Steven lets her out again to see if she is sad
>Jasper loses it, can't take anymore bullshit
>shatteres her own fucking gem

Not trying to argue what you're saying.

But Gravity Falls had a lot of missed potential.

Fuck off with you garbage show

Appoint for me something that for you isn't wasted potential, user

Protip: you cant

I have midi ringtones on my phone. I carefully transfer them each time I get a new one. Some of those are original files from old Siemens S55 and less old Nokia 6030

It wouldn't have been so bad if season 2 had less stupid filler episodes

We just had this thread yesterday.

>But know they're purposely exploiting their own flaws for lazy writing, bad animation

>How the show is still going with no antagonist is beyond me.
Technically, the Diamonds serve as the antagonist.
We still haven't seen White Diamond.

>. If they used the SU formula every episode would be in the candy kingdom city or the tree house and dealing with Finn's emotional problems.
Wasn't that actually AT for a while?

At least SU hasn't ended.

Gravity Falls still holds the title of "Missing potential: The animation"

IDK I'm sure there's others who could hold that title.
I mean it was a rushed ending, but at least it got some kinda ending.

More than say Silver Surfer or 10s Thundercats got.

The music in this show is not GOAT. Stop.

No

>the ultimate antagonist is going to be WHITE diamond

I should have seen this coming.

The main character is white.

Yep and it wasn't even this bad. Kind of amazing actually.

He's literally a race mixed child.

Oh shit I just realized him having mental instability is hilarious

Agree to disagree.

I hate that bullshit phrase.

Wait a minute...
>Greg, a white man, is depicted as a loving and parent
>The Maheswarans, Indians, are depicted as strict and no fun parents

Why?
It just means "I may not agree with your opinion but that's alright."

Because there's no reason to say that. The fuck are you agreeing to? You are agreeing that you are disagreeing with me?

Jesus, don't overthink it.

this
thing is,it always works.it always fucking works.
the samurai jack ones where fucking pathetic and i can count with one hand the rick and morty bait threads that worked.
SU works every fucking time.Calm your tits Sup Forums

>mentions wasted potential
>posts pic of the best character whos return will save the show
ok

I'd agree with everything but the lore.

It's fairly clear to me that Sugar wrote the beginning, maybe some notes on the middle, but has no fucking idea about a concrete middle and ending. Hence we are stuck in this endless character introspection which is going nowhere.

You can see this very clearly in the lore, it started out as one of the best show's I've seen in regards to lore and foreshadowing. An actual theory community sprung up around guessing what X meant and Y could imply for the future. That's just dead on the show now. Hell they even make jokes or occasional references to how dumped down its all become.

Fuck this is so much missed potential.

>Fuck this is so much missed potential.
Because of muh lore?

Season 4 end/S5 beginning is going to be the final straw for alot of people I think. Certainly is for me.

For me it was, yeh. That was a big reason why I liked it. There are other reasons but that one sticks out to me as 'properly fucking dead' in the show currently.

>That's just dead on the show now. Hell they even make jokes or occasional references to how dumped down its all become.
Wasn't there like tidbits in Lion 4?

Really? I actually didn't mind Gravity Fall's filler that much. The only time I dislike filler is when it's oddly placed in arcs and takes you out of the main story line *cough* Steven Universe *cough*

My biggest problems were lack of character development and the ending.

>There are other reasons but that one sticks out to me as 'properly fucking dead' in the show currently.
It really isn't all that dead.

>The only time I dislike filler is when it's oddly placed in arcs and takes you out of the main story line
Roadside Attraction.

Gravity's falls big let down was it's payoff. Namely, it didn't have much and the ending was very tame. It was okay but no where near the expectations everyone had.

Yeah that was more interesting but compared to the earlier stuff, nowhere close.

I think it is. Because it's clear that the writings changed and they just don't have the time to get that stuff in anymore. And this show's strengths do not lie in its abilities for spontaneity or surprises.

>*cough* Steven Universe *cough*
Cringy.

>Roadside Attraction.
We don't say that name here, this is a safe place.

>Stan gives up his memory to "kill" Cipher
>lol I'm actually okay!

Why do writers do this.

y-you to

change the goddamn record already

I'm looking forward to what's in store for the potential Steven Bomb.

People have been saying that since Season 2.

I missed them if there were. Like what? I know we've got what is presumably Pink Diamond's ship but aside from that all we got it "Lion is mysterious" which we knew and that the chest still exists, which we knew.

Mostly the ship and the dump, which will probably both play a bigger part later on in the show.
Sidenote, we finally found out where that crystal lizard came from.

>It's fairly clear to me that Sugar wrote the beginning, maybe some notes on the middle, but has no fucking idea about a concrete middle and ending.

I feel like this is an inevitability for shows anymore. They always start with a good premise, get people to watch for a few season, go off the rails (because it was unfinished work from the beginning and hiring writers will magically fix the fact that they have nothing to work with halfway through and have to literally finish your story for you) and get prematurely cancelled.

It's not just cartoons either, this happens with everything. It's always, ALWAYS half-assed.

What's changed is that alot of the set up from S2 has come about, but the setups from S1 and S3 haven't.

I mean look at this:
youtu.be/Ip1eVBs7hC4?t=156

Very clear antagonists, strong story direction. These things have just evaporated and nothings taken their place.

Frankly its becoming annoying, they still haven't answered basic questions. If S4 is another 'look into the sunset being hopeful with Chitune music playing' well.

I would expect what you said to be true of things from new writers, or new teams. But Sugar actually has experience, she should have known better.

>But Sugar actually has experience, she should have known better.
For taking AT off the rails.
She's mostly known for working on other people's stuff and comics.
Not sure how that translates into showrunning.

Your evidence is nothing more than a music video.

There's still clear antagonists in SU.
The story's direction is taking some weird turns though.

>But Sugar actually has experience, she should have known better.

On Adventure Time? Because she was working with Pen when he was doing the same thing, letting his tumblr gf write his episodes for him.

> If S4 is another 'look into the sunset being hopeful with Chitune music playing' well.
You'll still come back.

Look at the timecode of the video and put two and two together please, you cretin.

Fair point.

I would dispute this. Homeworld isn't coming to get Earth, the diamonds have been shown to be veryyy lackluster. I would say I'm actually disappointed, but we haven't seen enough of them to really pass judgement. Yet.

But the earlier sense of danger of SU is gone. It doesn't help that we are currently stuck in endless non-plot related episodes which only amplify this. It all adds up to S4 feeling directionless.

>Look at the timecode of the video and put two and two together please, you cretin.
Again, it's just the fucking intro but extended.
If you want actual evidence of clear antagonists and story direction, use examples from the actual show.

Have you seen how many people dropped AT? People will drop shows if there displeased.

>I would dispute this. Homeworld isn't coming to get Earth, the diamonds have been shown to be veryyy lackluster. I would say I'm actually disappointed, but we haven't seen enough of them to really pass judgement. Yet.
The last of the bomb ends with YD making plans on heading to earth. Maybe to recruit more zoo mates.
But the earlier sense of danger of SU is gone. It doesn't help that we are currently stuck in endless non-plot related episodes which only amplify this. It all adds up to S4 feeling directionless.
In addition to the above, we also got Navy hijacking the ship and heading straight for Homeworld.

>People will drop shows if there displeased.

Not this one. The shock still hasn't sunk in, at how much potential was wasted. It's like we're still crying over the corpse of our dead child after a week.

Plus people came right back to AT when it "got gud."
All SU needs is one good bomb to be in everyone's good graces again.
It worked last time.

Those are both true.

However the sense of consequence is just non-existent. We don't think 'OH SHIT Navy's going to bring back the homeworld fleet!', because we have 20 townie/non-plot episodes to get through first. Prime example of pacing destroying tension.

I honestly believe this show would have had a better shot at success if it'd been on Disney, or hell, maybe even Nickelodeon. I don't know what it is about CN that drives them to put all their shows that aren't primarily comedies in the bad scheduling chokehold, but I don't think anyone's suffered more for it than Steven Universe (well, maybe GL:TAS did). This is a show that already has some fairly severe pacing issues- being throttled by the network is all but killing it.

When all these SU threads blow up to hundreds of posts.

I just want the damn show to end at this point.

>It's like we're still crying over the corpse of our dead child after a week.

Imo it's more like looking at a famous person in a vegetative state and waiting for their family to decide whether or not to pull the plug.

Fuck you.
youtu.be/RSn23ReXfyQ

>Imo it's more like looking at a famous person in a vegetative state and waiting for their family to decide whether or not to pull the plug.

Yeah, either way I'm not going to get my hopes up. I like to finish shows I started, but it always just goes down the same way.

We don't think 'OH SHIT Navy's going to bring back the homeworld fleet!', because we have 20 townie/non-plot episodes to get through first.
The next episode wasn't even a townie episode.
Plus there's only five episodes left in S4.

SU, with all it's sexual themes, shouldn't have been geared to an audience that was younger than the AT audience. I think that turns a lot of people off, I mean look what the UK tried to pull.

I wish Rebecca could say something. I want to know how she feels about the show and the fan response.

Censorship would also be a big factor in which channel SU would end up on; would they still explore the same themes that they normally would?

Same difference if the spacing is months apart.

Literally nothing she could say would do any good. At all.