What A Night!

>What A Night!

It's finally here.
The end of our world.
And the beginning of dream.
An old man, a book, and a goal.

This is-
Providence #12: Act III, Scene IV (Finale)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gjJ_uFz-Z9g
stjoshi.org
factsprovidence.wordpress.com/moore-lovecraft-comics-annotation-index/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

HOOOORD

And here we go...

Moore is laying out the major themes out right

youtube.com/watch?v=gjJ_uFz-Z9g

I'm not going to lie, I love how classic this plot turned out to be.

It's Lovecraft, of course it's going to end up with an old man trying to find meaning in a book of ancient writings.

Oh, wow, the dome looks awesome

Fthagn!

They're really all screwed.

I might not take much stock in the Courtyard or Neonomicon, but I do like how they brought the original Head and Hands Killers back.

Just helps tie everything.

Aw yiss. It's been a pleasure reading these with you Dave.

Hahah, oh shit.
Of course they'd still be alive.

Same to you.

So what Alan Moore is saying is that reading is bad?

Really, Moore, ST Joshi?

The Nuclear Chaos

Fucking Muslims. Fucking Immigrants.

...I really hope that's not him.

Should've been a spread, OP.

but you are talking about a guy who died centuries ago.

>Roulet
That bastard! He survived!

The dreamer awakens from a history he made reality.

That looks nothing like a sultan. Where's his turban? Where's that fancy smoking pipe and magic lamp?

Oh god that's insane........!!!

This is one weird ending.

Hit her with a boat, government one-hand man! It's the only way to defeat her!

Curtains.

And that's the end, of everything.

The End.
As always I hope someone out there enjoyed this.
See you around.

Are those the abominable snow man crabs or those astronauts who got their civilization nuked when their flesh robots went all sky net?

If you roll over your
current Sanity, you lose a greater amount of Sanity
points. If you roll under, you will lose less or
none. The Sanity loss is generally described for an
event as something like “0/1D6” or “2/1D10.” The
number before the slash mark tells you how much
Sanity your character loses if the roll is equal to or
under his or her current Sanity score; the number
after the slash is how much your investigator loses
if you roll over his or her current Sanity score.
If an investigator loses 5 or more Sanity points
as the consequence of a single Sanity roll, he or she
has suffered major emotional trauma. The player
must roll D100. If the result is equal to or less
than their intelligence (INT), the investigator fully
understands what has been seen and goes temporarily
insane (1D10 hours).
When you fail a Sanity roll the Keeper gets to
momentarily control your next action as the fear
takes hold of you; perhaps you unwittingly scream
or squeeze the trigger of your gun.
If your investigator is temporarily insane, the
Keeper gets to add a phobia or mania to your
sheet (such as “fear of the dark”, “fear of confined
spaces”, or “kleptomania, an irrational compulsion
to steal things”), or amends one of your existing
backstory entries.

Well a purely Lovecraftian ending.

>all those vaginas

imagine

Been a while. Aren't they carrying the brain in a jars from the dude in the cabin that wanted the other guy to brain in a jar with him across the universe?

Heh. Take that, Sax.

So Lovecraft's to blame for Galactus Cloud and Parallax Cloud?

Dunwich Horror had a happy ending.

I mean, it's a lot less idiotic and vile than Mary Poppins beating up Harry Potter by virtue of him being produced in a pop culture meringue Moore wasn't fond of.

Yeah, I don't really know what else I expected.
The series hasn't been shy about how predestined and set in motion everything was.
It played out...guess a bit more horror on Perlman's part I think.

I think they mean in terms of a character's personal happiness.

So, Robert Black has pretty much spoiled the last scene in his commonplace book. Or did him writing down it caused the event to occour?

A little bit of both.

And yeah, I think during the last issue the premonition he had became clear to everyone. Just filtered through Black's own hang-ups about his life and loves.

Given Merril's advice and that Perlman is on that page, he must have read it and realized that it was the only thing he could do.

The best of the Outer Gods.

>ST Joshi
Who?

Yay

He's probably the most well known Lovecraft historian and editor.

He wrote a huge doorstopper of a biography as well.

Thanks Dave. This was a good lovecraftarian story. NOw I will wait until B.P.R.D. ends their lovecraftarian cataclysm and compare it with this ending.

Maybe no one's interested, but this bit about making the dream world reality is exactly what the Freemasons believe. The real world came about when the sphinx was built to set reality in stone and make everything predictable. It's meant figuratively, I guess. One of these days, the Sphinx will cease to exist and when that happens, the laws of time and space will not be strict anymore.

A real person? Wait what? Oh fuck I think I remember him now.

stjoshi.org

Well, that explains the Randolph Carter issue and the bit of the dreamscape where Van Buren makes the deal with the Mason leader.

Yeah, I have to agree.
I'm sure I'll appreciate the ending more in time.

>Mary Poppins beating up Harry Potter by virtue of him being produced in a pop culture meringue Moore wasn't fond of.

Wait, what? Not disagreeing with you, I just don't know what the hell you're referring to.

LOEG volume 3

>that fucking guy missed it
I find that just hilarious.

cool, thanks :)

>you will never aimlessly wonder a nightmare dreamscape

Out of everything, Moore had done a great job of making the mythos characters feel...like people doing what they feel is right.

Except for Roulet, I'm kinda pissed off he's still alive.

factsprovidence.wordpress.com/moore-lovecraft-comics-annotation-index/

Not my blog but as a local this series has tickled my testes quite a bit. The site has some decent breakdowns. Might be interesting to check out. Might not.

Yeah, we've all been on there.

no, he's saying that Lovecraft's fiction is a memetic weapon created by an alternate reality. the weapon propagated through fiction and altered reality around itself. Humans are the key; the weapon/fiction/whatever uses latent powers that humans are unaware of to warp reality. The objective is to bring back the other reality which was overwritten by our own in the distant past.

simple, right?

my apologies.

Jesus.

Merryl's hot.

I don't know if I should...

>and the bit of the dreamscape where Van Buren makes the deal with the Mason leader.

Oh, I forgot about all that! Well, yeah, that fits perfectly then.

something like that? "Humanity (order / science)" was the "bad dream" of the Elder Gods. They're "awake(good dreaming)" now, so reality is now under their control.

go download "neonomicon" and fap to her there. that's when she gets pregnant.

Wow.

This is an incredibly complex work. I can't call it anything except literature and a work of art. Just amazing.

On the minus side, it's very dense and hard to understand. At a minimum I'd say you'd need to read all of Lovecraft's major works, Joshi's work, Dunsany and Bloch's Lovecraft-related works, and from Moore the courtyard, Neonomicon, and Providence. Not to mention a working knowledge of christianity.

This issue was, in my opinion, a warped mockery of the birth of Jesus. The setups have been coming for a while, going all the way back to Neonomicon. Merril got an annunciation from the avatar of Nyarlathotep (Carcosa). He referred to her as "Merry" or "Mary". She was impregnated via fish-rape to bring forth Cthulu, the antisavior and antichrist who will destroy the world. In the bible, the star is symbolic of god watching the birth; here it's Azathoth, Lovecraft's antigod. There are the three wise men, who are referred to as such. The animals witnessing the birth are the main characters (!) It's heavily implied that every human in the story had no free will and was nothing more than a helpless animal who didn't even understand they were being led to the slaughterhouse. It's also implied the only way to understand what's going on is to become more, and less, than human. Thus the three wise men used to be human, but centuries of jumping from body to body have changed them. Aldo Sax, through his intellect and revolutionary "anomaly theory", was able to stay conscious to the end, which he did not enjoy at all. The brain in the jar was our former protagonist -- remember he used to be a reporter? As he is no longer human he, too, is able to fully comprehend what's going on.

The nonchristian elements surrounding the birth are pretty disturbing. There's a madwoman standing there giving the Nazi salute. There's a woman's soul trapped in a jar by a madman. There's a serial killer, who missed the birth because he murdered Aldo Sax off-panel.

I thought it was Lovecraft in the jar.
Saying that Aurelius is his "father" and that Lovecraft actually was a journalist, making self published periodicals and newspapers.

I don't think the cylinder is Black.
STJoshi said he knows who it is and that wouldn't make sense.

good to see you again assface

the more you think about it, the worse it gets. Merrill and Carl, ex-lovers, have enough awareness of what's happening to be horrified, and to try to understand. It's telling that Merrill wants Carl to stay for some tiny measure of human comfort. and all he can say is "it's not your fault" and hold her with his fake hand.

The actual birth takes place on the bridge, foreshadowed from the very beginning of Providence and revisited repeatedly.

This page is the Nativity scene, but all does not go according to plan. One of the wise men was off-panel murdering Sax. He was replaced by Joshi, the Lovecraft scholar. Note that Carl, the Joseph-replacement, is holding a book, Robert Black's recounting of what happened to him. Behind him is the wise man in a stolen child's body holding another book, I'm guessing an earlier recounting of the Necronomicon.

there's so much to understand here. it's so complex. and the more you understand, the more frightening it is.

oh, good catch. I stand corrected.

The entire cosmology of lovecraft is a parody of christain beliefs.

Azathoth= The Father
Yog-Shothoth= The Holy Spirit
Nyralahotep= The Son

basically.
that which is not dead (the 'true' world) may eternal lie (you can't keep us out forever), in strange aeons (all this shit that has happened across the three books) even death (the realm of mortals) may die

and
In his house at R'lyeh, dead (of the mortal world) Cthulhu waits (it has will have going to have happened happened, but hasn't actually happened happened) dreaming (acting as the keystone to keep the mortal world from coming back).

that's how Moore has interpreted those passages for this story

All of these thoughts have been great.
I just also wanted to say that I'm glad the Leng thing was mostly phased out.

that's fucking terrifying

>In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits
I just realized that Carcosa takes baby Cthulu and drowns it...which also counts as a baptism. That's fucked up.

I thought Nyarlathotep was a messenger angel.

oh that's pretty

I guess Moore can put some aesthetic in his gorn after all, when the mood hits him at least

I don't think he drowns it?
He says that Cthulhu has many miles to go, so it might just be making sure he gets to the water before its too late to settle.

also, ΙΧΘΥΣ,
Jesus came to be associated with fish

Could be drowning. After all Cthulhu is somehow both dead and dreaming in the narratives

I wonder if the cipher from the Arkham issue will actually work for what the crab monsters are saying in that one panel.

I agree. I think drowning fits the whole counter-part argument, but also he needs to grow up big and strong.

Reminds me of this bit in B.P.R.D. where a human ribcage is an altair for worship to the Ogdru Jahad.

Lovecraftarian gods do like human ribcages.

Yeah, in the Courtyard there's this vaguely scientific reasoning for it.
Preparing a body in that makes them more receptive to the dreamworld's energy.

>butterflied

Damn, isn't that viking torture, or am I remembering wrong?

I recall it being part of the mesoamerican human sacrifice rituals. like, they'd do that, then saw off the breast bone, then remove the heart. and since you were being offered up to whichever god they were hoping to please, it was a great honor, so you'd voluntarily be conscious during all that. if I'm remembering right they used paralyzing venom first so you couldn't thrash around or change your mind. it looked better that way and made it easier to convince people that it was a good thing. to the audience, every sacrifice they've ever seen went out with dignity and acceptance. helps them think they won't panic or anything if they were the ones getting sacrificed