The Best of Wonder Woman

Good afternoon, folks. Or morning, noon, evening or night, depending on your time zone.

With the Wonder Woman movie finally coming out next month which I will not be seeing for various reasons I think it's high time I share my love of this character with the board.

And where better to start than with her most famous and acclaimed run?

This is Wonder Woman #1.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J1rBZIzr49k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Captcha: call her
I don't fink so m8

I'll be reading along with my omnibus of this.

One of the weirdest trends ever since Gadot's casting has been to say that the Amazons would be Greek, and therefore olive skinned with brown eyes.

But Amazons are pretty specifically NOT Greek, as we can see here. They weren't just Greek women that lived on an island. They're a completely separate race.

However, if there were a DC Ultimate universe, they probably would make the Amazons Greek. And probably also do that "cut off the left breast" thing.

This is actually my second time posting this run. Last time I posted the first 12 issues, this time I'm going to #24, since that's where my omnibus stops.

George Perez really draws the sexiest people IMO, both men and women.

As you can see, this Hercules is not quite as chill as Marvel's.

Coincidentally, another of my favorite comics is Greg Pak's Hulk/Herc run.

Oh, and I almost forgot the most important part of a Wonder Woman storytime:

youtube.com/watch?v=J1rBZIzr49k

Also please bump if you're reading. Captcha isn't working on my phone.

Unrelated: This is far and away the weakest winter in Texas since I moved here 11 years ago. I don't think we even got a single day of snow in DFW.

Now I love Tatjana Wood's coloring, but this is probably the only thing she's done that I'm not that big on. The colors are a little too dull for Wonder Woman. Look at COIE and New Teen Titans for coloring that fits Perez better.

One of the classic elements of Wonder Woman origin retellings has been trying to justify the costume.

Personally, most explanations have been as dumb as that one explanation for Power Girl's boob window that people always post.

IMO, the best explanations for this kind of thing are "because that's how it is, fuck you"

The coloring on this page is a lot better, less muted colors.

I think I saw this in the Heavy Metal movie.

>cat rubbing her face all over my omni's corner
cat pls

After I finish the best arcs, I might post some of the WORST arcs that demonstrate Wondie at her shittiest and least inspired.

I ordered the omni the other day, not here yet though..

Any other books you'd recommend?

Absolutely. Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka, Wonder Woman: The Circle by Gail Simone as well as her other collections, Golden Age Wonder Woman (by far the most fascinating Golden Age comics), and the New 52 run.

Sadly, a lot of her better material from before Rucka are not yet collected. I really hope the movie brings more stuff but I don't see much solicited...

Thanks OP.
As you are a Wonder Woman fan can you tell me some good stories with Angel Man? I always find him fun.

Also Wonder Woman Earth One and The True Amazon, though they're a bit controversial among Wonder Woman fans.

First thing that comes to mind is the really great reimagining of him in Jiminez's run. Looking it up it's in issues #178-187.

His Silver Age stuff is hilarious as well, though I don't know any specific issues.

Thanks for the books, think i'll pick up Golden age next.

Everything is controversial for Wonderfags.

Honestly it's like Perez and Rucka's first run are the only ones most agree are good, and that the 90s and right after post Infinite Crisis are bad.

Also lesser known fact: officially Angle Man's creator was Robert Kanigher, but according to what we know about that point in Wonder Woman's history, he was actually created by Marston or Marston's family.

During the post-WWII era up to the Silver Age, most Wonder Woman stories were actually just scripts Marston had already partially written, and his family went on writing for a long time before Wonder Woman started actually being fully written by Kanigher.

Tell me about it, though admittedly I'm guilty of it as well.

Even Perez's run has started to get some flak from fans lately, though that may just be because it's gaining popularity with "casuals".

It's a big reason why it's hard for people to know which stories are her best, because no one fucking agrees on what stuff is good.

So this Best of is going to be my personal favorites, and then I'll follow it up with honorably mentions that aren't my favs but are worth noting.

Like all my storytimes, I gotta take five for a coffee break.

We're finally back to ice coffee weather.

Speaking of Angle Man, I kinda liked it when he had that weird crush on Donna

She needs some villains of her own in the Titans like Roy has Cheshire, Starfire has Blackfire, etc
Villains that aren't DC writers and editors fucking up her origin and concept of character

I should have said "cold brew" so as not to potentially trigger any coffee autists.

This page is not in my omni, very interesting read from one of my favorite comics folks, Karen Berger.

As both a Wondie fan and a Titans fan I've always felt that I should be a big Donna fan, but there's just not enough there to like.

Was the crush thing around the time of Graduation Day? I can't quite remember. But that would be a really good use of some of Diana's forgotten villains.

Hey Karen, there's no shame in reading romance comics. Fucking Kirby and Gardner Fox wrote some of them!

How do you find the small Renee De Liz run OP?

Actually can't say I'm a big fan of Diana not being able to speak English, though it does make for an interesting story dynamic.

Been meaning to read it for awhile after that big controversy around it. I did read the first few issues when they first came out and was expecting them to be as bad as Sensation Comics, but they were actually pretty good. I love reading about young Diana and there appears to be a big focus on her being wise and caring, which I'm all about.

Also heard they have a really good Etta Candy who I've missed in the New 52.

I actually might read EVERY silver age issue of Wonder Woman this year. When I was 17 I read every single issue of Fantastic Four like an absolute madman. I don't know if I have that level of focus anymore but it'd be fun to see how far I could get.

I think I've already read almost every appearance of Wonder Girl up to her costume change in Teen Titans. They're absolutely hilarious, honestly.

I think that crush thing was during Jimenez's run.

So yeah right before the Graduation Day abortion.

I just realized the Wonder Woman TV show had only been over for about five years when this was written. So for anyone who started reading DC after COIE, that was all they knew her from.

I should have started this on April Fool's Day by posting the short Marvel Wonder Man run.

Like I said in the first thread, this is kind of a weak villain for them to start with.

Hey maybe after all the good stuff I'll post Superman/Wonder Woman :^)

Doin´God´s work user

I don't really care for how much backstory and lore Perez injects into Wonder Woman.

It's not the story of the Amazons, its Dianas story. The Amazonian lore should be an afterthought to Diana's own development.

We could have found all of this more gradually.

>detected possible malicious code
I knew I shouldn't have downloaded that free iPhone from that Nigerian prince.

Goddess's work, friend. But in the Greek way, not the 70's feminist herstory way.

That's a good point and I think it turns a lot of people off from this run. I think the intent was that it's much easier to show a reader what's cool about Wonder Woman's mythos than it is to show you her full character.

But it's definitely a Perez trademark to show all that history and mythology. I didn't like it the first time I read it, but on subsequent reads I do like it because I already know where they go with the character.