So was it all a dream?

So was it all a dream?

After several viewings, I decided YES

Well yeah, dummy

If it was a dream, was the psychosis doctor dude part of it, or was he really trying to convince Quaid to wake up?

I thought the ending made that pretty clear.

To me, the existence of the scenes between Cohaagen and Richter indicate it really happened. There's no way scenes Quaid wasn't a part of would have been implanted in a Rekall trip.

too real

Unless, it's all your dream.

That could have just been the mechanism of the implanted memory, helping to continue the narrative he selected and it's all playing out in the vastness of his subconscious or some shit of that nature.

The lab tech at Recall says "Blue sky on Mars, haven't seen that before" (or words to that effect) as he prepares to implant that image into Quinn's memory. And that's how the movie ends, the end of his virtual vacation, a blue sky on Mars. Just a dream

it was based on a book by Philip K. Dick, so yes. everything was a dream.

I used to read word up magazine

In the story, it was all real. Doug Quail was also the sole person keeping a group of tiny aliens from wiping out Earth.

miss his movies

The best Arnold movie

>I decided
Damn shame your opinion doesn't mean shit.

I think the movie works both ways but if it was a dream the rekall guy was trying to wake up Arnold to save him from a labotomy. There's no reason for him to be there as part of the adventure he paid for

what's the excuse? he has to want to leave? how weak is that.

He's not paying for a dream he's paying for a memory. Have you ever had a memory from someone else's perspective?

I say this as someone who thinks there's reason to think it works both as a dream and reality

Fuck off with that. This isn't American Psycho or Maltese Falcon, the book doesn't mean shit when half the characters in the film weren't in the fucking thing

I guess but it is what it is. He needs to Red pill himself

but that sounds pretty lame. Like really? you can put a guy in as a fail safe but he has to WANT to leave.

I say dream. As pointed out, everything from when he left Rekall happened just as his vacation package was supposed to be. The Rekall guy on Mars was just another layer of deception to make the outlandish sequence of events that lead up to that point (and followed) seem more real.

Salt n peppa, heavy d up in the limousine

He didn't recall any of the information discussed between Cohagen and Richter though. He remembered nothing that he wasn't directly informed of (aside from his skill-set).

Yeah, and that's why it's conspicuous that we see it. If the entire movie (after Arnie visits the Rekall office) is supposed to be the memory implant, then why are we seeing scenes Quaid has no memory of and isn't involved with in any way? The simplest answer is because they're really happening.

It's purposely ambiguous retards; there is no right answer

wrong.

Just because there may not be a "right" or "wrong" answer, doesn't mean we can't have fun analyzing it and expressing our own viewpoints.

YOU BLEW MY COVA

It's not definitive enough for me. If it was the implant and not real, the memory would still have had to go through some sort of cognitive mapping process and the figures would be represented through his subconscious.

Subconscious as in, things he isn't always aware of or capable of remembering, but still present and active.

Fuck off Rob

No, it was a schizoid embolism.

Very much a dream. Even the director explicitly confirmed it in several interviews

That’s because he unconsciously picked his vacation story based on his repressed memories duh

Carpenter said Childs was a thing; nobody cares

Can't tell if serious...
Anyway, well that may work for most of the movie, it doesn't explain away the whole "blue skies on Mars" comment from the Rekall tech before the implant and how the movie ends exactly the same way.

Christ man what do you want me to say? The movie where Arnold Schwarzenegger yells "screw you" and kills someone with a drill had some weak plot elements?

Did Quaid even know about the atmosphere machine? Regardless, there's simply no way that it could put out enough oxygen to save him on the surface of Mars, or the tragic residents conveniently placed in danger.

His dream before Rekall involved a situation in which absolutely nothing but the events of the Rekall trip would save him from, and that's precisely why he ends up in the exact same scenario at the end of the film. The dream can't be explained by his "past memories", because he certainly never spent any time on the surface of Mars.

Whole 'nother can of worms, but yeah...

We're discussing the validity of both endings you autistic spaz

DEY KILL YOU AHHLLL

Yeah, if "real", Hauser knew of the alien tech, but like Cohaagen, had no fucking clue what it did.

Verhoevan's opinion on whether it was a dream or not varied from year to year depending on if he was thinking of a sequel or not.

Besides nobody gives a fuck what the director says. All that matters is the work and the viewers personal interpretation.

The Rekall guy actually tells Quaid every thing he's going to see for the rest of the film too. Also he says that the walls of his reality will come crashing in on him (or something) and what happens the moment Quaid kills him? The walls explode.

You can decide things on a personal level, and they don't have apply to everyone

The point is what directors say doesn't matter

No! its suggested reality, meaning that everything he did was real, but the machine turned him into a violent, skitsko, physcho, killing machine.
Total recall is a term to call back a default or faulty product. The machine was meant to give him a nice dream, but instead, twisted his mind into becomes a crazy killer who had to pass certain check points in order to end the reality.
Everything he did in the movie was suggested by the people before the machine was used, when the machine was on, is mind was damaged to a point he believed he was 2 different people, on a mission to free mars. The guys in the film however, were trying to kill him, by using the pill and then covering up the machine so as to not lost insurance.