So a buddy recommends this book to me saying its up my alley. I Found it pretty boring and kind of stupid...

so a buddy recommends this book to me saying its up my alley. I Found it pretty boring and kind of stupid, and now after doing some research i have to ask why is this so highly praised?

I assume it's a false flag operation designed to drive the reader back to Marvel/DC.
Nothing else makes sense.

you are pretty boring and kind of stupid

Probably because it has its finger on the pulse of late 80s Americana.

I never got the appeal either and never finished the book which I wanted to do before watching the movie.

Because indiefags are tasteless cretins, the best indie comics can't even touch mid tier cape stuff

Eightball/Clowes in general is trash, he makes comics for people who don't like comics

is the movie any good or is it just pointless angst and growing up like the book?

what do you consider indie? anything that is not capes?

Because is a good coming of age story with good characters and a dark deadpan humour, personally i like other Clowes comics better, but it was a good comic.

>Eightball/Clowes in general is trash, he makes comics for people who don't like comics
Let me guess, by comics you mean cape comics.

it's shit.

It's probably hard to relate to if you never had friends or worried about what you would do in the future, sorry OP

i would figure it would be easier to relate to enid if i didn't have friends. as for the future thing your right but that's mostly due to having good high school and college advisers.

/thread

Why don't you go ask your "buddy"?

A fair number of highly praised comics, even "indie" ones, are honestly not very good. The secret is just reading what sounds interesting to you.

well he thought it funny and recommended it to me because i like love and rockets and thought they were similar. i personally do not see it.

I've honestly tried Clowes books before and just could never get into them.

I remember this guy at work loaning me a bunch of Saga books and telling me how great it is. It was shit.

The Movie is better

If you're gonna read a 90s fantagraphics book read hate by pete bagge

thanks i will check it out

its definitely humor focused, it is set in the 90s though so it does have some references to that but buddy bradley is a great main character and the whole supporting cast as well, it's also like love and rockets in that it's more focused on characters/relationships and there isn't some driving problem to the story that needs to be resolved but the characters do move away, grow up etc.

black hole is better

Black Hole is great, but Ghost World is really good too. It's just a story about how intense teenage friendships shape the person you end up being, despite their inevitable decay; a sweet, sad, sort of funny character piece.

>always wanted a Ghost World thread
Not like this

Closes is just overrated.

Because teenagers suck, and so do most realistic stories about them.

>Because teenagers suck
>Because people suck
ftfy