This was a real treat for me. I’m watching a bunch of animated movies, and thought about skipping this one...

This was a real treat for me. I’m watching a bunch of animated movies, and thought about skipping this one, but I’m glad I didn’t. Granted, the fact that I expected nothing from it probably helped, but still.

I can understand why people who love the first one would be put off, especially since Don Bluth wasn’t the animator on it, but the animation was still beyond solid for the time. It’s really smooth and seems to have a high frame rate- it reminds me of the MIckey Mouse short ‘Runaway Brain’, which has incredible animation.

It also has a pretty great soundtrack. “Dreams to Dream” is obviously the highlight, and that whole sequence is just beautiful, no qualifiers needed, and I didn’t find myself particularly disliking any of the songs (except maybe the one on the train), but even the somewhat more forgettable songs are paired with the great animation. Just look at this scene, for example:

youtube.com/watch?v=TylmZEtTGxw

As for the story, well, there are probably too many plot threads (though I’ve seen much worse), and there’s nothing I would necessarily take away from the movie, but I think that it could’ve stood to be a little longer. Also, I get some of the criticism about it being less dark than the original.

The Tanya subplot was just great for me, and I would’ve loved to have seen more of it with her, Cat R. Waul and Miss Kitty. Tanya was basically a nothing character in the first movie aside from her duet with Fievel, and I really liked what they did with her. Speaking of Cat R. Waul, he was a pretty good villain, and John Cleese did a good job, but they had the perfect setup for him to redeem himself over his love for Tanya’s voice that they didn’t go with. He could’ve easily realized that mice might have more value than just as food, and then maybe the other cats could’ve turned on him or something. At least he didn’t want to kill Tanya in the climax, but still.

Anyway, I’ll post a couple random screenshots from it now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TylmZEtTGxw?t=1m3s
youtube.com/watch?v=T5vt6a2khbw
youtube.com/watch?v=Q21lEIpV4F8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How... Do you do? Hee hee hee hee!

youtu.be/TylmZEtTGxw?t=1m3s

>>come back here you pointed head!

what did he mean by this?

I like that the movie portrays jews as dirty rats coming to america on a plague ship

>tells the mice that cats are nice out West
>gets so caught up in flattering himself that he leaves the puppet dangling

>debating the pros and cons of eating Fievel after he overhears Waul's scheme
Just an amazing villain.

Honestly, what hurts me more is what they did to the first one when they released it on DVD, like the edits, the cringey as fuck "adittional" sound effects, and the off-putting orphan voices, and yes, i know those were teh original recordings, but they were meant not meant to be in the final product.

It hurts.

As for the second one, is not that bad, but they did the whole, "Fievel get's separated again" trend.

oh jeez

Aww man, I loved this movie as a kid, I watched it more often than the first and just as often as my favorite Disney movies. I had no idea John Cleese was the villain, but I thought he was great.

That's all the images I took.

OP, have you seen Rango? It gave me nostalgic deja vu for this movie, the whole "animals in a makeshift western town" aesthetic.

The Girl You Left Behind is so catchy.

Yup, great movie. Gonna see it again when I get their chronologically.

>MFW I've never seen the original AT but loved the fuck out of this movie as a kid.

there*

>As for the second one, is not that bad, but they did the whole, "Fievel get's separated again" trend.
The first movie was beautiful but depressive as fuck.

The sequel used the same basic formula but made an upbeat adventure out of it. Also, there's a scene where the animators drew a penis on Tanya's mouth, do you want to find if yourself or should I post it myself?

The sequels and the TV series are crap, don't even bother.

My family didn't own the first American Tail, but we had this and watched it all the time.
Same for TMNT Secret of the Ooze

Also great fucking songs from Fievel Goes West.

>Also, there's a scene where the animators drew a penis on Tanya's mouth
youtube.com/watch?v=T5vt6a2khbw

Well, I'm sure they'll edit that out in the blu-ray release, right? Right?

Huh, that's fucked up!

How old is tanya?

So, Cathy Cavadini did the film version of the best song in the movie, Dreams to Dream, and did inarguably better than Linda Ronstadt's studio version.

So, imagine if Genndy went fully off the rails, embraced this, and gave SJ its first musical number?
youtube.com/watch?v=Q21lEIpV4F8

It's really one of the best musical numbers I can remember.

It's hard to believe that's Blossom.

Who's the artist for this one?

This was my childhood movie

Well, the directors also made We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story

I haven't seen this movie since I was five but I remember the exact intonation of the dog saying "Just give me the laaaaazy eye!"

Oh god, that nostalgia...

bump

I love this movie so fucking much, watched it countless times as a kid and watched it a hundred times as adult. I just never get tired of it.

also the fucking penis doodle in one frame, what a classic

Some of the animation on Tiger was bonkers.

The only thing I didn't like about this movie was how drastically the art style changed from the first AT.

i thought fievel goes west was a stand alone until i was almost 20

>How old is tanya?
she's a mouse, they dont have rights

Found the cat.

GIVE HIM THE LAAAAAZY EYE

I liked it even though they are Jews

This.

Dreams to Dream always made me cry when she hits that crescendo of "when we close our eyes". Cathy's version will always make me gush like a sappy romantic when the water splashes over the Happily Ever After page. It's like concentrated angelic bubblegum pillows and love drops all at once

did they remove the penis for future screenings of the movie like boomerang or something?

I literally just finished watching it again after over a decade and it's... Okay? From a plot perspective it's a bit of a message characters do things with little rhyme or reason to move the plot along, the whole thing thrives on coincidence, and the world that it's set in has inconsistent rules (humans disappear when convenient). On the other hand it's gorgeous, has some great songs, and is memorable as all get out. Really mixed bag but enjoyable.

>Aww man, I loved this movie as a kid, I watched it more often than the first and just as often as my favorite Disney movies. I had no idea John Cleese was the villain, but I thought he was great.
Same, honestly it holds up pretty well overall