/80s/ General

Were the 80s really like this how it's in movies/TV? I mean like everyday people. Wouldn't they just buy shitting clothes at Walmart? Now try so fucking hard with crazy hair/clothes all the time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA&t=408s
youtube.com/watch?v=l06KEWCcnQE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You didn't have to be rich to afford clothes

richy white girls in the 80s definitely liked to dress up

God i can't get over how fucking terrible women looked in the 80's. I cannot stand that fucking hair.

fag

M O M M Y

It was like that.

Does everyone today wear full Rick Owens and a manbun every day? Of course not.

For me, it's the 90s. Something about the look is just wrong.

Manbun meme ended like 3-4 years ago user

youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA&t=408s
It was a different world

the 90s are definitely not a lot better

Problem with being gay back then is you would probably get aids, so it's not even an option

There was no Walmart yet, outside of the South.

But yeah, if you were fairly poor you got your clothes from like Zayre/Ames/Kmart/Ben Franklin/Woolworth's most of the time. If you were a little less poor, maybe something more like Wards or Sears. But the stuff you could get even from the cheap places was better than Walmart today, because it wasn't all made in China yet.

And everyone did the hair. It's not really that hard: just takes a hairdryer and mousse.

As someone who lived through both decades, let me say unequivocally that the '90s were horrible. Baggy clothes, ripped jeans, fucking plaid everywhere, your hair constantly in your eyes (as a guy), depressing/angry music: it was terrible.

Born 81 here. OP's photo reminds me of my eldest sister during in the mid to late 80's. Every roastie on earth was wearing shoulder pads and had that kind of hair.

>the only kid who didn't hook up with someone at the end of the breakfast club was the nerd
wew

There was nerer really a year where the 80s was a complete aesthetic like you see in movies. It was always a mix of styles. Some people still had that early 80s, almost 70s look through the whole decade. Fancy 80s hairdos would appear right after a girl got a make-over but then be let fall back into something more manageable on a day to day basis.

Seasonal changes affected it too. Pastels were big in the mainstream very briefly.
Acid wash denim seemed to last a very long time though.

Personal stereos like walkmans and boomboxes weren't as common as phones or ipods. Kids tended to keep them at home. Only weirdos would sit off by themselves listing to music.

Those small hand games were the closest we got to modern tech obsession. Everyone sitting on benches with their heads down trying to beat them through lots of repetitive play. The double-screen donkey kong was the king of those.

Post 1985, MTV etc started influencing the culture more. So things got a bit more "intensely 80s". People were a bit more concerned about maintaining the latest style because there was a central point of reference. But as that stuff got more mainstream, alternative culture started rising. Sort of early hipster/late-stage bohemian fashions started emerging once the Punk aesthetic had been appropriated enough to not be a desirable rebellious mode.

80s ended with EDM and House music and 60s retro styles coming in. Nirvana was like a hard reset on everything. Only EDM survived that. Even positive-vibes (but still socially conscious) black music became angry gangsta shit. Quake and early internet saved the 90s.

>Wouldn't they just buy shitting clothes at Walmart?
You could buy clothes like this at Wal-mart and K-mart.

More like JC Penny, but yes.

Is this kino?

youtube.com/watch?v=l06KEWCcnQE

From my experience living in the midwest in the 80s the thing that sticks out to me is how in the 80s and early 90s the United States was quite a lot... sleazier would be the right word, I suppose.

Example: back when I was growing up there were a lot of pool halls around. A good portion of the lower classes spent a night or two there a month hanging out, playing a few games, and smoking a lot of cigarettes. I'm sure there was plenty of weed and alcohol around too, although I was pretty young to see much of it.

I spent a lot of nights as a kid running around these places pretty bored out of my mind after I had blown the couple of dollars I had on arcade games. Sometimes until 1 or 2 am when my parents, older siblings, or friends
parents got done playing.

This is just one thing but there are others contributed. There were a lot more R-rated movies in the same time period that were part of pop culture, for instance.

Also another big one related to this thread: the way girls behaved and dressed in their teens was pretty different. I used to know "women" who dated my uncles or cousins that hung out with the 20s and 30 year old women and was just another one of the girls. But doing the math in my head they were 15-17 years old at the time. I think these days 30 year old women aren't considering 17 year olds their "girlfriends" anymore. They see them as kids.

>1990