Filmmaking General /fmg/

Whats everyone working? What have you recently made? What are you learning right now.

Looking for indepth feedback try the discord or just wanna talk about film and filmmaking.
discord.gg/K5J3rnm

Bump, dont be shy

whhat is this bullshit

Now, i've been working on a script for some time.
Even tho im not really sure how to execute it...
Only some of the details are a bit hazy, and i really cant wrap my head around them.
Never the less, im absolutly in love with the work

But when should you just drop the work and continue?
Lately, i think i've focused on this script TOO much.
At same time, i cant change the subject cuz i just keep thinking about it
Do you guys ever feel that way? Some project just taking too much?
Easier said than done.
So, what do you think?

I feel that this is not so much a problem of a story being to big or your mind working overtime. I think its a problem of you not having figured out what this story is really about. Which isnt a problem, sometimes it takes a while.

You havnt found its core or its heart yet. Or maybe you did, who knows. I would never tell someone to drop something because writing is about putting in work and hours. And dropping something is like skimming the surface and moving on when it gets to diifficult. However if it isnt working right now and It also happens to be a story that you cant realistically produce or can get made in anyway then its probably better to ice it for now. Find something small where you can more realistically perfect what you are trying to do and something you can obviously actually make, somethign that you can put on your portfolio.

If you want feedback then you need to try the discrod.

I need your help anons

Should I go to tv acting school
Or should I accept a comfy corporate job

What do I do with my life!!

Get a comfy corporate job. I assume it is acting you want to do? Acting is something that is very hard to learn and somethign that can be learned in an academic sense or outside on the streets, in bars and when living life in general.

The way to make your mark as an actor is to play lots of roles and find something that shows your potential. To get those you're gonna have to work on a lot of low budget sets for no pay and have flexible hours.

So try to get a parttime corporate job, accept a more minimalistic lifestyle and start acting in things. Especially getting a role in a student-graduate production can lift your acting career.

>tv acting school
What does this mean? Is it just an acting school specific to television acting? Never heard of that before

Hmmm I'd say accept the job and maybe take night classes for acting/do bit parts on the weekend sort of thing, if that makes sense.

thanks user. Yeah it is something I want to do, and the corporate job definitely won't be part time. It's like one of things that once you get settled, you may never leave. Unless you get fired ofc

I do find myself needing to live and experience life more, perhaps it might do me some good. Although I'm not getting any younger.

Yea it focuses on screen rather stage. Learning and integrating acting techniques is necessary, but also it's an opportunity to network.

thanks a lot anons. I'm edging a little closer to a decision.

>Whats everyone working? What have you recently made? What are you learning right now.

I wrote 7 screenplays (6 full-length, 1 short, 1 half-hour pilot) in the span of 8 months. Then job got in the way of my writing but i made great contacts within the film and music industry. Now I'm finishing up a novel i began before the screenwriting stint and look forward to writing more screenplays when I'm down with that. Also, two of those screenplays are being read by production studios, the short is in production to shoot in Feb-March, and several talent agencies are looking at my work.

I'm learning that the film industry moves at a snail's pace until it doesn't. Then it's 1000mph full throttle.

Also that there are as many clueless, arrogant asshats in the film industry as there are in the music industry.

Well time to take a pick. Since you've got the credentials to get the job I assume you'll still be able to get the job later on in life. You could give acting a try and when it all fails you could pick your old life back up. It wont look to terrible on your CV either, loads of people take long pauses, they travel for example. Personally I'd find this more honorable than backpacking through tibet on your western blood money.

Maybe in a years time you'll find a part time position (not that unlikely since every is starting to work less and more part time)

Or you forget the dream and settle into the corporate life. Which comes with long hours but a steady life free from constant hustling and with alot of luxery.

Have you ever done acting, worked on television sets or lowbudget sets? I think it all hangs on this question. Because if its just something you idolize in your head then it might be a stupid thing to choose.

Where did you gain contacts? How did you contact agencies? Do you work in US?

I actually omitted a few things, you know with this being the Internet

The job is actually a foothold in the door that could lead me to places or not. I got it through networking not through credentials and it's an opportunity many would kill for. Granted it's a probation role and I could be made redundant in half a year.

Only acting I've done is in school/class. And going to auditions for drama schools. Nothing on-set or low productions, but I've helped out as production/technician on student sets

Well then its simple. Try to do a few acting gigs infront of camera, doesnt matter if its an important role of a big set. Just so you can feel if you like it, I mean how would you know if you love it if you havnt experienced it.

Funding takes time, lotsa slow meetings and mail exchanges. 1 day of shooting is 1 week of pre production, so I know the feel of sudden momentum you are talking about. Things become do or die very suddenly.

>Do you work in US?
Yes.

>How did you contact agencies?
The Hollywood Screenwriting Directory. Wrote queries for a couple of what I thought were the better screenplays.

>Where did you gain contacts?
Working. I've worked in dozens of video and music productions as a PA first then as a writer. Got word out that i'm an aspiring screenwriter to the right people and let them read my stuff. A cinematographer wanted to branch out and direct as well as shoot his own film so we were put in contact by someone who heard he needed a screenwriter.

Did you send them the full script, some spec or just synopsis? What sort of "etiquette" is there?
I have one 90minute script pretty much ready to go, but i have no idea how to proceed after the polish. Im from EU.

Yeah, I hear you. That's why I keep busy writing. I'll probably finish the novel in the spring and will refocus to screenplays again. By that time, I'll have a dozen or so ideas to flesh out for the format. I've already written several outlines, not to mention I can probably whittle down the novel to a screenplay if I get a bout of writer's block.

The etiquette is querying the agency or studio first. I cannot stress how useful a tool The Hollywood Screenwriting Directory would be to someone in your position. In the book, there are hundreds of studios listed that are willing to read unsolicited screenplays.

First and foremost, write a compelling logline - an enticing one-line that encapsulates the story. Also have a 1-page synopsis and 5-10 page treatment ready in case they ask for those instead of the full screenplay.

A query letter is basically your introduction to the studio or agency. A 1-page letter or email with a short bio, the logline, and why you think the story is sellable. Filmmaking is a business, after all.

The Hollywood Screenwriting Directory can help you out with the rest.

Dude, you're a godsend.

Thank you so much!

is it true that one day it will be impossible to properly upscale 1080p digital to far higher res screens and retain it's image quality?

Good luck, man. It's a tough business. Make sure your screenplay is the best it possibly can be. Reread it a dozen times and make sure there are no typos. Those are flagged as amateur right off the bat. Oh, and another thing. Just because an agency says it does not accept unsolicited manuscripts, well, that's no real deterrent for a struggling writer, is it? Don't be a dick about it, though, even if they're a dick about your writing.

Anyways, good luck.

I’m writing a short as a sort of proof of concept and also because I have neither the time nor the money to properly do a feature. However, there are two main concerns that keep making me discouraged and prevent me from writing.
1. I’ve made a few shorts before and even the ones I hate cost several thousands of dollars after equipment rentals and catering and permit fees and insurance. It’s starting to seem like a lost cause to sink $6-8000 into a ten minute short film.
2. You can only ask so much from crew and talent that you’re either not paying or paying very little. At the level of talent an actor is at where they’re willing to take an unpaid role, there are unfortunately limitations on what they’re capable of.
When I start thinking of this stuff it makes me lose any motivation to continue writing, does anyone else deal with this?

I think the only thing you should be discouraged about is self-funding. How about sending your work out to small studios and see if they're willing to bill the costs? Or possibly working in production and see if you can use some of the production company's equipment? Or maybe seek collaborators? I see no real reason any of this should discourage you from WRITING. My two cents.

bump

Just finished an edit on a music video. It has hit a million views on youtube in a week

filming a short in a month - simple but a script I quite like solely for the sake of having a short I'm entirely proud of and am happy to point people towards
supposed to be filming on a big production in a couple of days but haven't heard anything in a while (need to check up on that actually)

what? no
For all this talk of diminishing returns, consider than 8k is being pushed at the moment and most people still haven't fully embraced blu-ray.
1080p will last.

But 4k is the safest bet

Gonna make a max four minute short within the span of a month (and a week) and I've still got no idea what it oughta be about. As soon as I start putting the ideas into paper I just get discouraged and want to work on something else.

Ideas so far:

> Man walks around very early in the morning looking paranoid and avoiding whichever few people he sees. We find out he's a killer going from place to place checking on bodies he's buried that they're still there and everything's alright etc. It concludes with him having a staring contest with someone who might have seen it, camera pans down to a knife in the guys hand (not a twist-knife, we knew he had it beforehand).

> Woman having a conversation with a dude she's cheating with (in a bed after they've had sex) who wants her to leave her boyfriend and get with him instead, she can't for a reason she can't explain, they argue and get angry, he leaves.

I'm actually rather good at writing dialogue, but I just feel I have the wrong idea as soon as I start, what the hell's wrong with me?

Whatever happened to the Skype group?

it's full of elitist faggots acting like dickwads?

why do you need dialogue? I think shorts work better when they're sparse, laconic, almost haiku-like.

We switched to discord.Check OP

Not at all, a mix of dreamers, lazy people, beginners and people who make rent in the filmmaking industry

Hey lads, finishing up secondary school soon (not underage) and it's time I decide on a degree. Film is what I'm most passionate about but I've heard the horror stories about how it's a waste of time. Personally even if I don't make it as a director or whatever I'm happy enough to just work local TV or radio for the rest of my life. Is it worth it?

It completely depends on you as a person. Someone people have a big mouth and get in that way, some have connections and surround themselves with a good crew to take care of the craft of filmmaking. Other are more shy and scared and need an environment where they can grow and develop not only as a person but also as an artist and thats what filmschool offers. Other just have the balls to do stuff outside of filmschool and build a portfolio that way.

Its completely dependent. Here where I live (EU) having a degree is a must for a lot of funding programs or steady jobs.

EU here as well so it seems like it'd be necessary if I wanna attempt filmmaking at all. I feel like if I study film I could regret not attempting psychology or whatever, and vice versa. The grass is always greener and all that.

The course I'm considering has a lot of hands on training with equipment rather than theory so that's what's piquing my interest.

>
Sounds like an art college then, which is a good thing. Its about trying and learning. Finding your strenghts and weakness and honing your craft.

The most imporant aspect is being surrounded by people who are serious about making stuff. Giving you a nice playground to make stuff in.

Also psychology here in Holland is the go-to degree. And only 5% end up having a sofa in their office where patients spill their beans. The other part just does basic statistics with a psychological background (my gf does this) so I know. I would recommend trying making a short film to see if you even like the experience.

If you're in a position to take film classes or go to film school with hands-on training and hours of experience with cameras, lighting, editing software, etc, not just theory, and not rack up too much debt, I say go for it. The experience of working or studying this way is invaluable if you will pursue a career in television, video, or music production. Plus, you'll make contacts along the way.