Is it worth watching if you have never seen any David Lynch film?

is it worth watching if you have never seen any David Lynch film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2vOg0HyJpvI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Twin_Peaks_episodes#Season_1_(1990).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

golden globes say no, it's not

>population 51k
That's actually large

golden globes don't matter

they were forced by the network to make the population larger. They didn't really abide by it besides on the sign, which can be trumped off as a mistake.

>they were forced by the network to make the population larger
What kind of demand is that? Why did the network care?

Because they thought a show about a small town wouldn't play as well with general audiences. Nevermind the fact that probably nobody paid attention to the number on the sign.

yes

I've heard it's campy as fuck?

It's probably a good place to start with him.

I've only watched season 1. I have enjoyed every Lynch film I've seen much more than I liked Twin Peaks.

yeah i've always hated that

Yes it's good. Really 90s tho. Really campy music which adds to the acting.

I don't think liking Lynch or not matters. Twin Peaks sucks. It's extremely overrated and most of the show is just boring or weird for the sake of being weird.

Leland palmer my arch nemesis

Not really. Lynch is overrated and not very good. More of a redit tier director. However, Dune is kino and I would recommend. Dune is the only good one because he himself hated it so it doesn't stink of the rest of his weird fucked up brain.

Absolutely - if you've watched most Lynch movies you'd know it's a big step down.

Life is hard at the moment.
Gettig divorced. Losing all my stuff. Friend passed away.
At the end of each day I listen to the ost for Fire Walk With Me, and end it with the theme to Twin Peaks.
It's at that moment I feel a little comfort.
I'd like to kill myself.
But I haven't seen The Return yet. Maybe I have a bit of hope that I should start a new life. Idk.
I guess my life is now shallow.

Yes.

People really need to get away from this notion that you have to be "primed" for everything. Stop hanging out with the fags on /lit/, what have I told you about those rotten kids.

Sorry to hear user.
>But I haven't seen The Return yet.
I wouldn't watch The Return, it isn't close to the quality of FWWM.

it's as good a place as any. I first saw Dune but I was a kid and had only played Emperor.

Just like Dune, it took 2 viewings and everything clicked. The mood is probably what will make or break it for you. If you can settle into the comfy, mellow vibe with out of nowhere eeriness then you'll get it.

>oh hey user. thought you might have been a doppelganger. I got kinda lost, but...
>come check out this room I found, it's really trippy!

It's very different then his movies. More of a parody of 90's soap opera murder mysterys with his movie style surrealism thrown in here and there.

Give it a try at least. If the pilot doesn't grab your interest then pack it in.

No. Only watch it after at least watching Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Dr.

Haven't seen anything by Lynch before watching it.
Started the 90's show and ended up watching the whole thing, both films and the return in 10 days. Loved it, the pacing was slow but that's Lynch. I've watched Mulholland Drive since and want to watch Blue Velvet and Lost Highway

First 2 seasons are, but there are some pretty fucked / nightmarish moments
Movie / Season 3 are 100% fucked up

That's alright. I'm still interested

Return is slow paced and has a lot of irony / sarcasm / weird humor in it, but a lot of it is close to FWWM. It's mostly its own thing though. I vastly prefer FWWM to the original series, and I really enjoyed the Return, but it's hard to compare the Return to FWWM or the OG series because of how different they are. FWWM is still the closest the show's ever gotten to a "perfect" season / movie, though.

It's entry-level David Lynch. I would recommend Mulholland Drive after FWWM to prime you for The Return though.

Satanic black lodge magic. Sick shit!

I watched Mulholland Drive after FWWM and the Return during my 10 day binge last week of the entire show. I thought Mulholland Drive was meh in comparison.

Literally rewatching it right now. It's great

The first season is perfect senpai

What ep?

Well watch some of Lynch's best work instead - Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, and Eraserhead

What's with the color pattern?

Planning on watching Lost Highway and Blue Velvet this week. As for Eraserhead, it just looks to weird for me. I'm open to weird, ambiguous weird shit, hell.. even that fucking mutant baby isn't super weird but I might give it a go

I'd seen some of Lynch's stuff before I watched Twin Peaks, but Twin Peaks is what really turned me on to him. It's the best TV show I've seen, even with its faults. There wasn't anything like it before and there hasn't been anything like it since.

It's worth watching if you're willing to stick with it and don't mind things you have to notice and figure out. If your idea of TV is any iteration of Law and Order, it might not be for you.

I agree about it being the best show. Before I marathoned everything last week, I considered Mr. Robot as #1 and that nothing could surpass it in terms of overall quality but I was blown away by the ending of Season 2, FWWM and the ending of the Return

Trees.

Eraserhead should not be watched as if it was a movie.
It is for all purposes an arthouse film.
You can watch it, but be in the mood for it.

Apparently MD was going to be its own series, then fell through, then they tried to make it a feature.

I heard that too after watching. The ending would have been better if it was across a few episodes?

Well, metaphors aside, by their admission it has big holes in it.

Season 2 episode 3 I just finished it.

The pacing is slow and yes, the 90's show is campy and the deadpan humour doesn't always land but I god hooked by the end of Cooper's first dream and binged the rest. The Return (Season 3) however, has a much different feel to it.

Overall I'd describe it as Lost but they didn't fuck it up, mixed with True Detective (S1) and Stranger Things with a few aspects of Mr. Robot in Season 3

Well how much have you looked into the films? Eraserhead is without a doubt his most surreal work, but Blue Velvet and Lost Highway may take you by surprise

I try not to read much about films before I actually watch them. The only thing I knew about Eraserhead before the first time I watched it was that it was a "horror movie". I had to turn it off after the dinner scene, I'd never been so disturbed by a film before.

I now consider it one of my favorite movies.

I loved Season 2 and watched it for the first time last week, you're in for a few treats and the finale imo is one of the best episodes of the entire show. When you hear Jimmy Scott singing Sycamore Trees, you'll know what scene I'm talking about and why I love it so much

It's the greatest thing to air on television.

This is a link to the scene from the S2 finale that I love so much youtube.com/watch?v=2vOg0HyJpvI

>rewatching

What's wrong with rewatching?

Yes. Why wouldn't it be?

Oof madon where the fuck am i

Watch it laura

The first comment is mine as well. I'm just saying that I've already seen the finale.

Heh Heh! Foo, Nnadom, foo

Haha my bad,

I actually finished Season 3 and almost immediately rewatched Season 1 and now I'm on to Season 2. I watched the Bonus Features on the DVD so I might just finish my Season 2 rewatch then FWWM before the return again

FWWM is really dark and depressing, not sure how that helps you. The Return is that way as well but to a lesser extent.

>Overall I'd describe it as Lost but they didn't fuck it up, mixed with True Detective (S1) and Stranger Things with a few aspects of Mr. Robot in Season 3
i almost got caught nigga

I love FWWM. The ending, Laura finally getting her angel is a bit relieving.

Wait, who directed the episodes that David Lynch and Mark Frost didn't direct?

Not sure

yes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Twin_Peaks_episodes#Season_1_(1990). This'll show the directors for Season 1 and 2

>watch Eraserhead because """"influential""""
>it's terrible and pretentious as fuck
>watch Dune because it's suppose to be terrible
>amazing set design but it is indeed terrible

why do people like lynch?

Since no one will see this post let me say I want to impregnate Sheryl Lee

I love Twin Peaks. I don't necessarily have to like his other work.

The first two seasons won Golden Globes so by your logic he will like this

Sheryl Lee,
Mädchen Amick
and Sherilyn Fenn

BRIGGS’d

She's probably on menopause by now, dude.

Not if I go back to the 90s like Cooper and save her womb from certain demise

TRIPS OF TRUTH

Did anyone watch the behind the scenes? Lynch talking about throwing Sheryl Lee off the top of the set in the Red Room one was hilarious

There were a lot of guest directors. Diane Keaton did one of the worst ones in S2.

Yeah, some damn fine television.
If you're not into it by the first three episodes it's not for you, Skip any scene with Donna and/or Forehead.

watch it Palmer
WATCH IT PALMER

Eraserhead isn't a movie, it's an arthouse film and is boring as fuck.
Dune is trash.
Watch the films of his that are actually good.

>Intimate sex between two college students
REEEEE FUCK OFF WITH THIS MEME