Gorillaz getting a 10 episode cartoon series

From the latest issue of Q magazine (scan in next post):

>Hewlett is working simultaneously on artwork, tour visuals, merchandise, a clothing range, a 10-episode Gorillaz TV series, a virtual-reality video that the VR expert at backers Google described as "the perfect storm of everything you can't do", and other things that he never imagined when Gorillaz was born.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KcXrglh3PLA
youtube.com/watch?v=Itp1lkxRA8s&t=13m48s
youtube.com/watch?v=uE684S4tCS8
youtube.com/watch?v=lGWYF_sVD8A
youtube.com/watch?v=AnBEZ2QvMwY
youtube.com/watch?v=GUvbHkfhzYs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Scan

About 15 years too late

FINALLY
the question now is if its gonna be like gorillaz bitez or if its gonna use the new aesthetic/canon

this could be fun. thanks for the heads up user

>10 episodes of Murdoc's moans and groans

Will we see Noodle talk?

what the fuck, how did I not know about this?

youtube.com/watch?v=KcXrglh3PLA

jesus christ this is all from phase 1, this shit is old

Yeah dude, Gorillaz Bitez was from back in the day when the band still had a sense of humor.

THANK FUCK. Hewlett is a more important part of Gorillaz than Albarn. The aesthetic is more compelling than the music, which is nice but could just as easily be "a collection of hip-hop tracks featuring Damon Albarn." It's Hewlett that makes Gorillaz cool and unique. This is good.

man... I kind of miss the old pop art style and cartoon antics. They've gotten too artsy fartsy.

Plus this style makes me nostalgic for y2k era stuff. There's nothing else out right now that scratches that itch

yup

>Gorillaz

What year is it

the current year, same as it's always been

Of course. She will talk in Japanese

>the band still had a sense of humor.
the fuck are you talking about, they still make jokes and shit

I wish they went through with the idea that all of the Plastic Beach guests were abducted by the band.

youtube.com/watch?v=Itp1lkxRA8s&t=13m48s

Plastic Beach had a lot of great ideas that just didn't come to fruition. The Rhine Stone Eyes video is a great example of that. The Boogieman was also supposed to play a bigger role, and I think Sweepstakes was meant to be his theme.

Really sucks. Phase 3 feels very unfinished.

>Hewlett is a more important part of Gorillaz than Albarn.

Call me an ultra pleb but I agree.

But they shouldn't have gone full lorefag with the lore then run out of money to show it all. They broke up because of it too. Take it easy from now on.

motherFUCKER

I think it's because Hewlett and Albarn started hating each other around that time. Hewlett basically wasn't involved with The Fall at all, and they only reconciled last year iirc

>Started hating each other

Meaning they got bored.

There was supposed to be a big fight between Sun Moon Stars (The Boogie Man) and the fan designed character, the Evangelist, but that shit got scrapped. Them skipping the Battle of Plastic Beach and showing us the outcome in Do Ya Thing, but later retconning all of it in the "Book of" stories was also fucking shit.

Goddamn do I miss this lighthearted shit, I've hated the "DEEPEST LORE" shit since they first introduced it at the tail end of Demon Days.

Thankfully I think it's going back to that since the characters are together again. The intro to Saturnz Barz reminded me a lot of the BiteZ videos.

Man, that's some good news.
Always loved the aesthetic.

We already seen
2:15
youtube.com/watch?v=uE684S4tCS8

Feel Good Inc clip stylistics would be a dream, but my bet is something like Saturnz Barz

I remember this thread we had a couple of weeks back, where people described their ideal Gorillaz cartoon.

These are what some of the anons came up and MUST be included in the cartoon

>Snoop Dog being a recurring character whose always involved in some unfathomably complex scheme

>The Gorillaz are neighbours to Hewlette and Albarn who are never seen but are always heard to be in an intense argument. Something usually gets thrown out of a window.

She also speaks in this
youtube.com/watch?v=lGWYF_sVD8A

And this

youtube.com/watch?v=AnBEZ2QvMwY

the Snoop Dog canon means that Gorillaz and Trailer Park Boys exist in the same universe.

> Hewlette & Albarn being their neighbors

God that sounds hilarious. Please let this happen.

i agree. i got to meet him and have him sign a print for me before the detroit leg of the plastic beach tour. it was one of the few times i was ever nervous meeting someone famous. the guy is one of my main inspirations as an artist

How the fuck is je doing all that? How is this album supposed to have 40 songs on it?
>WE GOT THE POWER TO DO THAT

Episodes could go back and forth between Phases. They're missing out on younger Noodle if they only do the current Phase.

man, I hadn't noticed before, but this basically looks like they mixed gorillaz with samurai jack's lack of outlines.

It's interesting considering how thick the outlines used to be.

hopefully we get b-sides and remix album like we used to.

The album is the album, the other songs will be their own songs. Not DLC shit, just part of phase 4. That's even assuming all of them are released.

Maybe they could release one new song with each episode, but who knows long they're even going to be.

No fucking way.
It's about damn time.

I mean, wow, yeah awesome and all, but aren't you like 17 years too late for this?

Please for the love of god, don't let it be lore focused

I generally like lore and all but Gorillaz dropped the ball with it hard

Agreed. It's just way too inconsistent by this point.

This thread makes me happy I didn't think so many people disliked the lore.
I just find it super retarded, why can't they just be a group of cartoon weirdos playing music?

I just don't get the appeal of gorilaz. The only reasons I can think of it ever being remembered was it was made by the guy from blur and nothing else like it happened at the time. The music was never good. Style of substance.

"Lore" was best when it was simple. Like them living in Kong Studio and their various back stories + Murdoc having a deal with Satan. No more heavy lore was needed.

>We get a cartoon series after Noodle's design is ruined

Of course...

Considering it's probably the least most talked about thing in Gorillaz threads, it's pretty easy to see that most people didn't care for it

>The only reasons I can think of it ever being remembered was it was made by the guy from blur
Yeah nobody cared about that. The appeal was the animated aspect, the fun characters and the continuity over time when it was small and manageable and not the crazy DEEPEST LORE it ended up becoming in Phase 3

And they had some good songs

>Hewlette and Albarn who are always heard to be in an intense argument.
SHUT UP LITTLE MAN

Discuss.

youtube.com/watch?v=GUvbHkfhzYs

>>>/reddit/

Is there anything these people won't milk for money?

Will it be like FLCL?

Their music is good though

>He doesn't like demon days or plastic beach

confirmed for garbage taste

>COLLEGE KIDS REACT TO A THING THEY COULD HAVE VERY EASILY GROWN UP WITH
>AND ALMOST ALL OF THEM INSTANTLY RECOGNIZE WHAT IT IS
What is even the point of this

That fucking bimbo airhead triggers me. I see "trophy wife" in her future.

>Fat guy in yellow hat is super on point in everything he says
Thumbs up, bro.

Yeah, it would have been way more interesting to see if younger kids react to it the same way I did years ago.

how many dropped plot points and retcons have been? i can remember

>noodle faked her death, but not really
>murdoc tried to save her and went to hell, but not really
>2b having a bunch of children
>the entire do ya thing video
>russel's taxidermy animal army vs kong studio demons
>2d and noodle zen bond

Russel was fucking huge but he's not now apparently

That evil medicine man dude who was stalking the crew and that entire plotline just fucking disappeared

Man, I love these. Newer Gorillaz art is still really good, but I personally love the original style.

oh also what happened to noodle's pet monkey from phase 2? does she miss him?
actually, do any of the character miss each other between phases? i am used to the mean spirited comedy of the band but at the same time you would think there would be some lighthearted moments here and there, i can't think of anything besides 2d smiling at noodle in the do ya thing video

>10 episodes
>10 FUCKING EPISODES!!!!
>10 MINUTE SHORTS!!!!

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

That monkey smokes way too much

Shut up Brandon.

>10 MINUTE SHORTS
A friendly reminder that your ass is not a valid source

>Murdoc hates Albarn for being the lead of a Gorillaz tribute band, none of the other members give a shit and that only annoys him more
>Hewlette is basically Squidward but always drawing instead of playing an instrument

Wait, she had a pet monkey?

>Russel was fucking huge but he's not now apparently

He was captured by North Korea who thought he was a kaiju

Then he shrank due to low rations

this one

Yeah Mike the Monkey.

>10 MINUTE SHORTS!!!!
Where does it say that?

Phase 2 Noodle really was perfect

>Phase 2 Noodle really was perfect
True. I like the aged up design, but she sure is turning out to be Murdoc's 'daughter'.

Kids react to 9/11 is inevitable.

>you make eye contact with her from across the room and she makes this face

what do

never got to apreciate this shit back in the day.
was too autistic thinking in muh anime shit that never really gave it a chance.

now im probably going to get exactly what i wanted back then, and it feels kinda empty.

why we couldn't protect that smile

Noodle is perfect in all stages. Hewlett created the ultimate waifu. Phase 1 for loli fuckers, phase 2 for cute teenager fuckers, phase 3 for mature trash women fuckers.

Wow forgot plastic beach Noodle. Plastic Beach is for robot fuckers.

that blond ugly face triggers the fuck out of me, what an attention whore.

Noodle and Russel don't talk much, but it's probable

What else can you call this but a "I'm going to suck your dick" expression?

I'm 99% sure that's what Hewlett's thinking every time he draws her with it.

She gon eat you, user. Run the other way

the later Plastic Beach stuff didn't get canned because of artistic differences between Hewlett and Albarn, it's cause their label at the time were being a bunch of greedy cunt canoes(there's a very noticeable and fairly savage burn at them in Murdoc's "Book of")

Is she drooling?

I've never been able to see that as anything but cum.

Both options are hot, and that expression says she's up for more of either.

Apparently we still haven't heard shit that was recorded from Phase 2

She's an insane malfunctioning robot full of ghosts and sea life.

Really?

Can someone give me a link to the 'Book of' stuff?

My kind of girl.

I feel like this thread has been spammed multiple times and at various times it devolved into political discussion

fuck off

Considering this news only broke today, I feel like you're a retard

>Cyborg Noodle makes a return

That is the cutest walk I've ever seen. Kudos to the animator.

Shit there's still music from phase 1 we havent heard

No, they legitimately started hating each other. Damon didn't even show up to Jamie's wedding.

Anyone else like the animation and characters but hate the fuck out of their music?