Was this really the best cartoon of the 2000s Sup Forums ?

Was this really the best cartoon of the 2000s Sup Forums ?

Sure, why not.

It's just Americanized anime, proving once and for all that anime is superior to cartoons.

It's up there. Samurai Jack, the vast majority of Ed Edd n Eddy, most of golden age Spongebob, and Courage are all way up there too though.

There are not many anime out there that top season 2 of ATLA.

By a landslide

>the vast majority of Ed Edd n Eddy, most of golden age Spongebob,
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I'll give you the other two, though.

Rewatching it again rn. I love this show.

Was there really supposed to be a 4th season?

I can't tell if you're laughing because they're not entirely in the 2000's or if your taste is just fucking shit.

Yes.

I rewatched it recently and it was terrible
Filled with extreme plot conveniences and other writing problems only found on children cartoons
No wonder I loved it as a kid

>terrible
See, this is how I know you're full of shit. If you'd said "average" or even "bad" I would take your stance seriously.

Your first clue should have been that Courage isn't entirely 2000s either.
But comparing lolsorandom comedy to serious shows with actual depth is ridiculous.

There was supposed to be a 5th season AFAIK.
Name an anime that isn't. Go ahead user, I'll wait.

He said best cartoon, not best cartoon of a specific genre or mood. It's entirely possible to like both comedy and serious cartoons you know.

Avatar was funnier than most other comedy cartoons too.

No. Too flawed.

This. Avatar's humor was second to none.

LOK really dropped the ball there even before all the other shit happened.

Not even close. It wasn't even the best cartoon airing at the time.

It just gets excessive praise because it's one of the only serialized original action cartoons.

Avatar was about as "deep" as Star Wars.

Name a better one then so I can laugh at you.

Alright then, what was better at the time?

It's easily the best non-comedic cartoon of all time. Only Batman TAS and Samurai Jack can even compete, but they weren't as consistent imo.

Which is widely praised for its complex narrative, so what's your point exactly?

Samurai Jack was much more consistent than Avatar, what are you talking about? Avatar had shit like The Great Divide and The Painted Lady, even the Farting Dragon episode wasn't nearly that bad.

Idk why people hate those episodes so much

Yup

>only 3 episodes out of 60 are lower than 8/10
>implying that makes ATLA inconsistent

I just remember Samurai Jack having a bunch of episodes I was meh about. Maybe I should rewatch it, I could be wrong. I hope no one is going to argue with the fact that Batman TAS was inconsistent.

Samurai Jack and Justice League. If you count comedies, the list is FAR bigger.

Star Wars is an extremely basic story, and so is Avatar. Anyone calling either complex or deep is kidding themselves.

Avatar wasn't consistent at all. In addition to:
The series finale completely destroys the narrative.

Because they're complete dogshit. No redeeming value whatsoever (except that joke in the recap).
Okay, the whole making fake spooky noises thing was funny too, but that's it.

Way more than 3 of Avatar's episodes were bad, and even the worst episodes of Samurai Jack were good.

>Samurai Jack and Justice League.

A) Justice League was not better than ATLA or even close

B) Samurai Jack finished airing like an entire year before the premiere of Avatar

Lower than 8/10 where? Don't trust random ratings you find somewhere, trust your own judgement.

>Not appreciating the GOAT Monty Python-esque humor of Jack and the Farting Dragon

>even the worst episodes of Samurai Jack were good.
That episode with Jack and the annoying Totoro thing is worse than any ATLA ep

>Way more than 3 of Avatar's episodes were bad,

The only 3 that I would call "not great" are The Great Divide, The Painted Lady, and Avatar Day.

I'm the user who said Avatar was inconsistent, but I'm calling you out on the series finale comment.
Sozin's Comet may have been flawed, but it is the greatest piece of animated western TV ever made.

I was referring to the Avatar episodes. I'm the user who said the Farting Dragon ep was much better.

The Beach and Sozin's Comet were even worse.

Fuck you and the other haters, Avatar Day was brilliant from start to finish and I greatly enjoy rewatching it, unlike those other episodes.
Lighthearted doesn't mean poorly written, Sup Forums.

Wrong opinion, try again. The Beach was a fine character/comedy episode and Sozin's Comet was awesome if you ignore the stupid Lion Turtle bullshit.

>Sozin's Comet may have been flawed, but it is the greatest piece of animated western TV ever made.
This is so fucking wrong it's blowing my mind.

Sozin's Comet wasn't just "flawed". It completely destroys the themes, conflict and character development the entire series had been building. It's arguably the worst episode within the series itself, so calling it the highlight of Western animation overall is absolutely ridiculous.

The lion turtle was neither stupid nor bullshit, it was an excellent plot device.

Why doesn't the rock get this many complaints?

You're probably one of those who thinks the lion turtle actually affected the narrative of the story.

I enjoyed many of the lighthearted episodes. Avatar Day just wasn't funny as all of the jokes fell flat, and the premise that Aang would submit himself to the "justice" of a random pack of retards is laughable. Why not just hand himself over to the Fire Nation then, if he's so obsessed with law and order all of a sudden? His status as a fugitive is a core aspect of the series. Completely asinine.

The Beach was exactly how NOT to handle a characterization episode. It was all telling over showing.

Sozin's Comet not onlly had the turtle, but the rock, and you can't ignore either because they're the core of the entire episode.

>It completely destroys the themes, conflict and character development the entire series had been building
Yeah, you wanted the pacifist, monk, child main character to kill a dude on screen. Because that's totally in standing with the show's anti-war stance.

The Beach was a good episode. Very good, even.

No, it was stupid bullshit. I was able to ignore it and enjoy the episode, but it's a major flaw. A passing mention 20 episodes prior is not foreshadowing.

The Lion Turtle and the rock were both bullshit of the highest tier. They throw Aang's character development out the window and remove all conflict and agency from his story. They destroy the plot of the entire series.

ITT: stupid anons don't get that THE LION TURTLE DID NOT FUCKING RESOLVE AANG'S CONFLICT

No, I wanted him to actually have a conflict to face and agency in overcoming it. If a story doesn't have those, you just have a series of events with no meaning or humanity.

Your post is so dumb I don't even know what to say. How is killing an enemy leader less "anti-war" than using force of arms to destroy his armada, reconquer a city, and cripple and kidnap him? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Anime is literally a cartoon. In Japan, SpongeBob is considered an anime. If the Sopranos was animated, it would be considered anime in Japan. Please Mitchell Henderson yourself.

>No, I wanted him to actually have a conflict to face and agency in overcoming it
That's exactly what did happen though.

It absolutely did, though. If you're going to argue that he had already beaten Ozai down, then the rock eliminated Aang's conflict, which is just as much bullshit as the turtle eliminating it.

Fuck, call out the Lion Turtle all you want for being last minute deus ex, but to say it didn't work thematically is complete horseshit.

The show isn't even anti-war, military opposition of the Fire Nation is portrayed as good and noble. The conflict in the series is started by Roku's failure to use violence and solved through Aang & co's use of violence. What in the name of all that is holy makes you think the show is anti-war? What?

No it didn't. Getting handed a bullshit solution by a bullshit deus ex machina is not overcoming a conflict through agency.

No, it had Aang avoiding his problems (literally running away and hiding both before and during the fight) and did nothing until solutions were handed to him through no effort.

Fuck the lion turtle dude, the biggest asspull of the series was katara ending up with aang

>the rock eliminated Aang's conflict
Did you seriously expect the final conflict of the entire series to not involve the Avatar State?
Also, Aang had already mastered the Avatar State in the previous season, so he was in control, it didn;t remove his agency.

You're (a) a complete idiot and (b) probably going to get in trouble on Sup Forums for posting anime bullshit.
You're obviously (c) baiting, though.

After Aang lost it, yes. Because him getting it back means he doesn't have to face any consequences or utilize any of his training. He just wins because he was born with that superpower.

Kataang was fucking dumb too.

Literally the only couple across both Avatar series that wasn't completely artificial.

>eh sokka and suki are a good couple but otherwise yeah

>The show isn't even anti-war
Did you even watch the show?

>military opposition of the Fire Nation is portrayed as good and noble.
Characters defending themselves isn't the same as the show not taking a stance on war. The whole show is about how the war has ruined countless lives and the world at large.

>The conflict in the series is started by Roku's failure
To stop a war

>to use violence and solved through Aang & co's use of violence
Except it ends with Aang being non-violent, that's what most of these arguments are about

>What in the name of all that is holy makes you think the show is anti-war? What?
Everything

Sokka/Suki is almost as bad as Maiko. Almost.
Kataang is the only well-written ship in the show, and Ehasz apparently did his best to trash it too.
Fucking writer disagreements fucking up shows.

>He just wins because he was born with that superpower.
All of his training is what allows him to be in control of the Avatar State, so no, not really.

Kataang was terribly written, stop defending shit writing.

>Kataang is the only well-written ship in the show
Just kill me now.

toph + those random babydaddys was the only good relationship

>Spongebob
>Courage
>Ed, Edd,n Eddy
>Samurai Jack
>Billy and Mandy
>Chowder
>Flapjack
>Barnyard
>12 oz Mouse
>Kim Possible
>Phineas and Ferb
>Xavier Renegade Angel

There's some good shit from the 2000's user. But Avatar was still good.

He doesn't like Ed Edd n Eddy

>Kataang is the only well-written ship in the show, and Ehasz apparently did his best to trash it too.

Honestly, why? Kataang's worst crime is that it's horribly vanilla, but the two of them were good for each other and their romance never really got "in the way" of the plot and there was actually an episode dealing with that. Was it the ages? Because I can kind of agree a thirteen and fifteen year old finding TRUE LOVE with each other after only a year is kind of weird but I'd give it a pass because that's how a lot of other romance plots play out.

Kataang was extremely well-written outside of the second half of Book 3. It's exactly how one would expect that type of relationship to blossom.

The best cartoons have always been comedic. Action cartoons will never be great.

... anti-war doesn't mean "okay with using military action in self-defense". It means anti-fucking-war. None of the characters in ATLA were anti-war. They all supported using military action when appropriate. Whether or not this includes executing the Fire Lord or not is irrelevant. They were already engaged in a war against him and performed military maneuvers that would have resulted in the deaths of enemy soldiers if this weren't a show for small children, killing him doesn't make it more of a war.

Forcibly crippling a man that you beat into submission is not "non-violent". You have a serious problem with words, I suggest you read a dictionary.

Pretty sure it wasn't the ages per se but the boy being significantly younger than the girl.

Considering the second half of book 3 is the only part that actually deals with romance between the two of them, what else is there to base it on?

I never watched either Samurai Jack or Avatar till a year ago and I genuinely think Samurai Jack is the far better show.

Aangs only two years younger than her plus they spend every day together for a full year. His childlessness is somewhat of a turn off for her but she really only starts to like him when she realizes how powerful of a bender he is (the fortuneteller), which makes sense. Aang is literally the most powerful man in the world.

Katara's motherly concern and doting goes well with Aangs goofy attitude and light hardheartedness.

>The Fortuneteller
>The Cave of Two Lovers
>The Headband
>The Day of Black Sun Part 1: The Invasion
And those are only the episodes with EXPLICIT romantic moments. There's much more implicit stuff throughout the rest of the show.
The second half of Book 3 has only the finale kiss as an actual example because the writers apparently decided to drop Kataang from the story at that point. They even put in the EIP scene to hammer that point home. AFAIK it was saved at the last minute at Bryke's insistence.

I'm a Kataanger, you don't have to explain it to me. I'm just saying that's how most haters saw it IIRC.

I'm just stating my POV for the benefit of anyone lurking.

If those episodes are enough for you to constitute a well written and developed romance, then I'm sorry I can't agree.

> AFAIK it was saved at the last minute at Bryke's insistence.
Terrible idea then.

People didn't really understand what was happening on the Lion Turtle. I can't remember if it's when Aang's talking to Kyoshi or YangChen but one of them tells him that the Avatar is reincarnated as a human so that they can learn mortal, human values and so that they don't become a judgmental overlord God.
People also overlook that Aang isn't just the Avatar but also the last Airbender. The conflict on the LionTurtle is right there in the title of the show itself, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

With those two titles, Aang's carrying a lot more weight than any of his predecessors. He doesn't have the fortune that YangChen had and having other Air Nomads to carry on their traditions and culture, all future Air Nomads will inherit their culture from Aang, and a mark against their most sacred value would be inherited with it.
By choosing not to kill Ozai, Aang is holding onto his human values. Holding onto what makes him human and rejecting the God-like judgmental side of his abilities, even under the most overwhelming pressure, Aang is actually becoming a better, truer Avatar. That is in itself the internal test being played here.
Energybending is his reward for passing.

the romantic dialogue in the comics is terrible though

In the very first episode, the second Aang comes out of the iceberg, he see Katara's face and the camera zooms in and there's like dreamy music playing in the background.

>last minute
How? It's obvious from the moment Aang wakes up.
Anybody who didn't expect Kataang is genuinely stupid.

If there were many more than that people would be complaining just like they did about the "sweeties".
I'd say it was just about right, except for the fact that it was seemingly dropped after the invasion.

>swweeeeeeetie

The comics are fanfiction. Just like LOK.

Oh no, I expected it, it was just terribly written.

Why do you type like a complete faggot?

That's not remotely it. Everyone seems to forget the "boyfriend" comment, and "Why are you smiling at me like that?" Both in the first 2 eps.

TMNT was.

Not that guy but I don't really see a problem with Kataang in the second half of Book 2.

Katara has very understandable commitment issues given what happened to her Mom. It makes sense that she wouldn't confess her love for Aang before the War was over because she was terrified of losing anybody else she loved to the Fire Nation, especially when Aang was the guy who'd be fighting the Fire Lord.

Only good season of ATLA is Season 2.
And the ending is a giant asspull.

*only GREAT season.
The other two were still good overall.