Fastest ship in the galaxy

>fastest ship in the galaxy
>regular tie fighters are able to keep up with it

>trusting the word of a desperate smuggler
Ben didn't buy the Kessel Run nonsense, why did you?

I'll bet money the Kessel Run will figure prominently in this shitty young Han film.

I'd bet the Falcon. Disney wouldn't catch that subtlety, and I doubt they'd care even if Lucas told them.

Remember when the Falcon spent half of ESB with a Star Destroyer on its tail? Han is full of shit.

How far is a parsec exactly?

>Usain Bolt is the fastest sprinter
>I am able to walk alongside him easily
Wow wtf OP it's like maximum speed is a different thing to manoeuvrable combat speed

its confirmed already

No ither ship has a faster hyperdrive so technically it is the fastest
Just not at sub light speeds

It's a measure of distance. Right?

About 1/31557600 of a lightyear.

The parsec (symbol: pc) is a unit of length used to measure large distances to astronomical objects outside the Solar System. A parsec was defined as the distance at which one astronomical unit subtends an angle of one arcsecond, but it was redefined in 2015 to exactly 648000/π astronomical units. One parsec is equal to about 3.26 light-years (31 trillion km or 19 trillion miles) in length. The nearest star, Proxima Centauri, is about 1.3 parsecs (4.2 light-years) from the Sun. Most of the stars visible to the unaided eye in the night sky are within 500 parsecs of the Sun.

The parsec unit was probably first suggested in 1913 by the British astronomer Herbert Hall Turner. Named as a portmanteau of the parallax of one arcsecond, it was defined so as to make calculations of astronomical distances quick and easy for astronomers from only their raw observational data. Partly for this reason, it is the unit preferred in astronomy and astrophysics, though the light-year remains prominent in popular science texts and common usage. Although parsecs are used for the shorter distances within the Milky Way, multiples of parsecs are required for the larger scales in the universe, including kiloparsecs (kpc) for the more distant objects within and around the Milky Way, megaparsecs (Mpc) for all but the closest galaxies, and gigaparsecs (Gpc) for many quasars and the most distant galaxies.

In August 2015, the IAU passed Resolution B2, which as part of the definition of a standardized absolute and apparent bolometric magnitude scale, included an explicit definition of the parsec as exactly 648000/π astronomical units, or approximately 3.08567758149137×1016 metres (based on the IAU 2012 exact SI definition of the astronomical unit). This corresponds to the small-angle definition of the parsec found in many contemporary astronomical references.

This shit broke down so many times. Unreliable as fuck.
Han spent more time trying to fix hyperdrive than travelling with it.

The Falcon is a modified tugboat. It's a torque monster, not a dragster. Han's just full of shit.

star wars ships can jump to hyperspace so are they comparing speeds in there (there's only one lightstpeed?) or in normal space for some reason. How and why is this random individual's cargo boat the fastest? isn't it the equivalent of something like baloo's seaduck i dont get why a mail plane would be the fastest in the world

I think the more likely explanation is that George Lucas isn't very smart and thought a parsec was a measurement of time.

EU already made the Kessel Run an actual thing anyway, because EU writers are autists who take hyperbolic statements as literal fact, i.e. Ben's "1000 generations" line=Republic has existed for a literal 25,000 years

The EU writers did a pretty good job with what they were given. Making the Kessel Run a distance race was fucking creative problem solving.

>i dont get why a mail plane would be the fastest in the world
Presumably because the engines are crazy overpowered for the mass. The Falcon is supposed to be pushing massive, mile-long stacks of freight across great distances. It's essentially a space train.

I'm serious though, Alec Guiness actually has a subtle skeptical look on his face after Han says that. It was just TOO subtle, I guess.

Ohh so that's why it got these mantles

It's also why the cockpit is offset.

This.

Also, Han Solo's race of people don't like being told the odds. It's very offensive and in bad taste.

>Han Solo's race of people
Low-life, compulsive gamblers, or scruffy looking nerf herders.

>Tatooine to Alderaan
>Alderaan (system) to Yavin 4
>Yavin 4 to Hoth
>Hoth to Rebel Rendezvous Point *Hyperdrive Broken*
>Bespin to Rebel Rendezvous point
>Rebel Rendezvous Point to Tatooine
>Tatooine to Sullust
>Sullust to Endor
Seems to work ok

>i can go 180 space miles an hour
>tie fighter can go 179.32345345 space miles an hour
guess whose the fastest still?

I think it had trouble to start up when escaping Deathstar in New Hope. Half the time on Hoth Han spends working on it too.

>Cockpit

Wasn't that cringy ass Morgan Webb that explained the kessel run in distance?

its hyper drive was busted

In the EU, the Solo family were reknowned for their nerfs.

The reason the hyperdrive wasn't working in Empire was because Chewie and Han had to shove half of the engine back in while they were in the middle of an overhaul and had to evacuate.

it was turned off after being fixed on Bespin.

gr8 post lad

You know what would have made episode 1 better?

Anakin as a teenage crewman on a spice freighter. that just happens to the be the Millennium Falcon. Which he then steals after getting a crush on Padme. To get her and the Jedi to Courscant.

In case Luke asks around about his father. The Spice Freighter story holds up.

The Falcon is then Anakin's ship in episodes 2 and 3. though at the end, Obi'wan takes it to Tatooine. Which he then abandons. Only to be changed through owners until Han gets his hands on it. Until he loses it after episode 6. Then regains in episode 7. Now Rey has it in episode 8.

There's nothing special about the Falcon. It doesn't make any sense for it to be at all important at any point other than the OT.

>Cargo ship is able to keep up with Imperial-grade starfighters

Clone Wars CG show solved the Spice Freighter problem with a junky ship that Anakin commandeered and turned into his personal mission ship.

Han's story arc goes from selfish failed smuggler to heroic General of the Alliance. The Falcon reflected that.

In ANH, the Falcon is being strafed by Tie Fighters. By RotJ, the Falcon is keeping up with fucking Tie Interceptors. The funny part is that he spends all that money on the Falcon only to have Lando pilot it.

>Han's story arc goes from selfish failed smuggler to heroic General of the Alliance.
Then back to selfish failed smuggler in ep VII. Pottery.