Would you consider this KINO or just a fun mindfuck?

Would you consider this KINO or just a fun mindfuck?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Absolutely Kinographic.

Good but Hypercube is better.

kino
its not really mindfucky

Just good and interesting enough. The acting takes time to get past by.

This is great. The second and third ones are so goofy though.

Its like retarded SAW movie with mathematics and no good ending

you´re just in some cube to die and almost nobody makes it out. it doesnt make sense, its not fun to watch.

its overrated as a cult film. The acting is objectively terrible, the pacing is off and the premise can only take it so far. I did enjoy it the first time I watched it

>implying SAW isn't even more retarded

>you should have valued your life because horrible shit like this can happen if you're alive

Makes sense John.

Most people miss all the subtelties and hidden meanings in the film.

>tfw brainlet

>ywn be a deceptively brilliant autistic mathematical genius
>you will always be just the pathetic useless kind of autist who's not good at anything

I thought it was mostly trash compared to the original but I think it left the most compelling story idea about the cube No one 100% knows why the Cube exists anymore. Illuminati authorities built it for some crazy social experiments reason but eventually the lack of communication, secrecy, and general incompetence by the self-styled overlords left the project a pointless self sustaining monster. I can easily imagine real life shadowy organizations like the NSA or CIA suffering a similar fate.

I enjoyed the Saw movies but they kept getting more and more hilariously stupid as the series went on. In one of the later ones, Jigsaw is talking about fucking insurance scams in his little "let's play a game" videos.

>horror film tries to be political

i think that sorta retarded moralefaggotry logic goes back to Hannibal movies, where the bad guy´s basically very extremist christian about wanting people to not be rude or bad people. It´s like Hannibal but instead of cannibalism, serial kills with cogwheels and spiked dildoes that have a 4 minute timer on them

You should watch Nightmares in Red White and Blue, a documentary that not only claims all horror movies are extremely political (Freddy Kruger is Reaganomics) but that horror movies are the only genre of film that tackle politics head on at all.

sounds like some academic obscurantist bullshit. No thanks. Room 237 pretty much showed that a piece of media can be convincingly spun in just about whatever way a person wants to spin it (which was the actual point).

Why don’t you spin it into something you like then

In my mind the Cube itself, like it's rooms, can move along times and realities. Who or whatever built isn't in control anymore, it's only those who think they are in charge that experiment it trying to control it.

Pretty shit but a decent watch. Did that first prisoner just weird you guys out with how he looked?

>Good but Hypercube is better.

>Freddy Kruger is Reaganomics
[fart noise]

spin what?

Hypercube fucking sucks. In the original, you can get through the acting because the dialogue is passable. In Hypercube they're all smirks and smartass comments. I wish it had more of the style of the first with the time-shifting elements of the second.

Seeing a fully functioning government department at the end flies in the face of the first one. She should have gotten out of the cube only to be greeted by no one because it's a holiday weekend she's never heard of.

The problem is they abandon the premise like 20 minutes into the fucking movie, and there are like what, two traps and no good kills?
Fuck that, it's not a cube movie unless some dude gets terminally cheese gratered.

I love deadly game movies

>Fuck that, it's not a cube movie unless some dude gets terminally cheese gratered.

That's actually because the movie was originally released on the Sci Fi channel.

Also, kind of interesting sidenote, apparently the DVD has a alternate ending

>The longer alternate ending included in the special features on the DVD reveals the "owners" to be the government; in the shorter version it is unclear who they are, but it is assumed they are Izon.
>Kate is executed in both versions, but she is praised for being the first operative to make it out alive.
>In the alternate ending it is revealed to Kate that she was in the Hypercube for just six minutes and fifty-nine seconds.
>It was an experiment used for quantum teleportation.

>I CNT ENJOI MOOBIES IF THEY NOT FUNN

Acting was so bad it became a comedy.

The retard math guy was probably the best actor desu

>the movie was originally released on the Sci Fi channel.
I vividly remember this, and avoided it for years because that bloated cunt from forever night.
If you want another deep Canadian-Film-produced-for-the-sci-fi-channel, check out pic related. No you're not seeing things, that is a naked Will Wheaton with a black dude's nipple and Rutger Hauer cosplaying hard as your dad.
It's actually incredibly OK.

Discount Michael Rapaport?

>tfw you enter a red room

>CUBE
>mindfuck

well why the fuck id waste two hours of my life in something that isnt fun?
dumb brainletposter

This film does not have subtlety or hidden meaning

Was probably the first 'horror' flick I watched, it was in the 5th grade somewhere in the early 00's and we had a blast. So much so that when I managed to nab a burned dvd copy of the 2nd we all rushed to watch it. That being said, it's good for the time but any other subsequent installment is trash.

>oh no
>we're trapped together in the same situation!

KINO. But the end ruins it. It becomes a horror movie in the final few scenes. And how the fuck did that black guy follow them when it took the autistic math genius to know which door to open?

This movie pissed me off so fucking much

How this has a 60 on RT is beyond me

the black guy was ridiculous

Seemed dated even when new,but I'm glad I saw it.
Has anyone seen it for the first time recently? Did it feel dated?
How say you?
Did you get a little nervous at some parts?

>overrated as a cult film.
Kinda disagree,but not enough to argue, because you may be right.
They did alot with a small budget,but that doesn't make it good,dude.

They had an strange concept and they made it work, it's incredible how many things could have gone wrong, the set could have looked fake, the effects, the actors could have not overact enough, etc...

The simple fact that they made a movie out of it, it's a canadian miracle.

>movie about hating white people

The only surprising thing is is hasn't got a higher RT score

It's a play with just enough backing to be turned into a film. Reservoir Dogs is also like this. Each piece only needs the one primary set, and one or two other sets.

Also Cube is very, very similar to Alien in many non-trivial ways, and Leaven really should have been able to figure out the math puzzle at the end. If my life depended on it, I could do it in my head, even running near empty and under that kind of duress.

second one is dumb, yep. The third one has a bit more fun with the ideas of the headless shadow-bureaucracy that runs the thing, and it has a really fun, cheap Snidely-Whiplash villain who is hamming it up and seems to be enjoying the opportunity.

>Also Cube is very, very similar to Alien in many non-trivial ways
are you the guy or do you just have the posts saved?

Not sure exactly what you mean but I have funposted about this before so I can probably just link you if you're curious.

It was kino

youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA

in basically every good cube thread some guy comes in and lists a bunch of reasons as to why alien and cube are similar movies, beyond character comparisons there is also a reference to maths and numbers mentioned in the movie. it's way too specific to be more than one person so i wasn't sure if you were copy pasting or the man himself. you'd be something of an autist's legend to those in the know.

by all means, go ahead and post your theories

Yeah, that's me. :^) Taking rote-pasta from before, (1/2)....

-Alien was released in 1979, Cube in 1997. The years are both anagrams as well as both being prime numbers. Prime numbers are an important story element in Cube.

-Both films feature a cast of seven who are trapped together in an interesting, claustrophobic practical set, with the secondary (titular) "antagonist" being the thing that threatens their lives. As the film goes on, it becomes clear that the real, primary antagonist is a shadowy company of some kind which is responsible for throwing these people into their impossible situation.

Each cast-of-seven breaks down as follows (all white except for one black guy):

-An intelligent woman who approximates toward being a main character.
-A much weaker, more emotional woman who is generally worthless.
-a hotheaded black guy who has some constructive ideas early on but also gets in the way at times.
-a small role, a guy who doesn't do much and whose only real function in the story is to die a spectacularly violent death which lets everyone know just what the threat really is. When this guy dies, Shit Is Real Now.
-an older, grizzled veteran-guy who's seen it all. Craggy face. He's the second to die when he makes a wrong turn.
-another white guy (though these two don't really map well together)
-and finally, a cold, aloof guy that no one seems to like much. As things continue, it is revealed that he is a sort of plant and that he has inside knowledge about what the threat actually is and who's responsible, much to the resentment of the rest.

Also the math puzzle at the end of the first movie /actually isn't that hard/, not nearly as hard as the admittedly strung-out Leaven thought it was. I can expand on this (again) but only if I get a (You) and someone wants to hear more autism. The characters can be totaly excused for not getting the math puzzle though, since they were all strung out, as I say. But it's actually very easy on its own.

The CIrcle

2/3, actually (the math part, now)

In the movie, Leaven quickly realizes that every cube-cell-room is represented by three three-digit numbers. For example if you're crawling into the next room you might see an inscription like

002 156 878

What Leaven realizes if that if any one of these three-digit numbers is a prime, then the room has a booby-trap. For example above, since 2 is prime, that room is definitely trapped. If a room has a prime, it has a trap. That's true and it never fails. They use this system to navigate the rooms until they move through a room with no three-digit prime numbers, which still has a trap. So Leaven's system has failed/is incomplete. So, the converse is not true: there exist trapped rooms with no primes.

Leaven clearly states that she can readily determine whether any number on the appropriate interval (000-999) is prime. She has no problem doing this mentally, and in fact there's about 168 or so primes among the first thousand numbers. The fact that Leaven can do this is what makes her later frustration a bit hard to swallow.

Because what the group realize toward the end, is that a /complete/ description of trapped rooms is given by primes, /and their powers/. So take the prime 5 for example: 005 is prime, a trap. /Its integer power 5^2= 25 = 025/ also denotes a trapped room. (IIRC in the flick "004" is on the room that got misjudged, which is just 2^2, a prime power). The trick is in realizing that you only have to compute prime powers up through 999, like we said.

The numbers also denote a coordinate system, but I leave this aside for the moment. The point is that the group can completely determine trapped rooms, but Leaven gets frustrated (understandably) and claims that the calculuation is "astronomical". In fact it isn't, but then they lean on the idiot savant Kazan to hack the rest of their path.

cont. (to 3/3)

Never actually got around to watching it. I now feel inspired to do so because I had been meaning to.

GO ON

3/3

So here's my math-point about why (if she were rested and thinking straight) it should have been dead easy for Leaven to identify all trapped rooms: there are relatively few prime powers apart from the primes themselves under 1000. And it's even possible to work these out mentally, /if you know the primes up through a thousand/.

Since I know the primes up through 100 cold, I can do this mentally myself, and I will, right now. The first thing is to get an upper bound on primes which can be squared and still be under 1000. IIRC 31-37 is the spot to check. Clearly 37 won't do since 37^2 = (30 + 7)(30 + 7) = (900 + 210 + 210 + 49), but 31 works since 31^2 = (30+1)(30+1) = (900 + 30 + 30 + 1) = 961. This just means that we only have to "power-the-primes" from 2 up through 31 as far as they go without going over 999, storing the list, and we're done. The number of primes from 2-31 is (let me think): {2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23,29,31} eleven primes to bump up. The table would look like part of a hyperbola since you can do several at first and then it drops down like the 31^2 bound we just did.

2^10=1024, too high. This just means that these numbers can't be raised any higher than a power of nine, which simplifies things further. The composite prime-powers of 2 apart from the prime 2 itself are then just 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512.

Let's do the powers of 3-less-prime-three until we can't anymore: 9, 27, 81, 243, 729. Getting easier!

Let's do the powers of 5-less-prime-five: 25, 125, 625.

7: 49, 343.

11: 121, 11^3 = (120 + 1)(10 + 1) = (1200 +... (stop)).

Clearly everything left just has to be squared and then we're done.

Find the squares of 13 (169),

17 (289),

19 (361),

23 (20 + 3)(20 + 3) = (400 + 129) = 529,

and 29 (30 - 1)(30 - 1) = (900 - 60 + 1) 841. This like 20-or-so bits of information that Leaven should have been able to do mentally, BECAUSE WHAT SHE CAN DO ALREADY IS MUCH HARDER.

Would have been a great 45 minute short, but it doesn't have enough meat for even a short 87 minute runtime.
Also, I never realized how many fucking movies have the tittle "The Circle"

I just looked it up too. There's even one in 2017 with Emma Watson lol

Please keep it up, autist-sama

thanks for reminding me of this movie

This. Sometimes what you see is what you get, and the "hidden" shit, when actually present, is usually hamfisted shit like in BvS and MoS. Take a movie for what it is, and enjoy it despite its flaws. Don't make up shit just to try to justify your likeing of the movie, it's just a movie man.

I like Death Machine and other b-movies like that, I don't try to make myself seem superior by saying they are better because of shit I made up. Don't be a pretentious asshole.

based. see you next time brother.

Kino for sure. One of the better films I've seen. Aside from some character cliches, not bad.

That's one of the big things I like about it, the whole reveal (in like the second act of the movie) is that there is no greater purpose and this is just a project that people are collecting a paycheck on, and the biggest enemy inside the cube is shitty human nature.

The acting is poor but the premise is interesting enough to justify a watch. Don't bother about the sequels at all unless you like cheezy-low-budget sci-fi/horrors generally.

Since you seem very interested, the "table" of composite prime-powers under 1000 (25 of them) is what needs to be added to the list of primes under 1000 to give a complete list of numbers denoting trapped rooms. That table is given here; notice how it "tapers off" rapidly along both axes, like a hyperbola approaching asymptotes.

Despite my best efforts to clean up a mistake I made in the old post that re-pasted, I still made a goof in an above post, and with decent rest. THIS TIME, I missed 31^2 = 961, must have edited it out. Looks like I'd totally be pic-related-hamburger in the cube.

Just finished watching it.

Pretty good. I genuinely wanted McKay and Leaven to live though.

So how the FUCK does that relate to Alien

>human nature.

>Niggers
>Human

Here is the table.

Learn to read.

Stop posting you retarded fuck

All-around solid. Take a premise and sticks to it, with revelations at key moments. The part before the negro drops the doc was tense, considering it looked as though he was going to save her.

Ending was a little frustrating.

This guy is right.
This movie should have been shit,but it is instead,flower smelling crap.

The entire film is open dialogue explicitly stating the writers views on subjects and relating it to the theme of the film. Nothing subtle at all user.
That said I love the film, 100% consider it Kino, and put it in my top 10 films. Even if I do recognize it has its flaws.

>trapped

Did you even watch the movie? It was a competition and an entertaining film

Me right round baby right round like a record

I like the blue room

I travelled forward in time to post this, You are me, but you won't believe me until you see this thread again on 12 December 2017.