/who/ - Doctor Who General

Sarah Jane meets the soyboy edition

Daily reminder that the Sarah Jane Adventures was so awful that it literally gave Elizabeth Sladen cancer.

Also in two days /who/ might be completely dead thanks to the spoiling aussies and britbongs.

Other urls found in this thread:

doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Soyboy
doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/45.33.96.106
youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo
youtube.com/watch?v=4o9LrbdorS0
youtube.com/watch?v=65N7tTaxmdQ
youtube.com/watch?v=H8agYk3Jv4c
youtube.com/watch?v=XcuFJXgU6cA
pastebin.com/JzAaLveM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Previous Thread:

/who/ is already dead, and you killed it with that OP

Will it be completely dead do you think? I plan on still using /who/ regardless, but if this is what its gonna be like...

This entire post upsets me

>Tennant
>Soyboy
Pick one.
Everyone knows Smith is the tumblrina

Smith is pretty ripped for a doctor and also certified alpha.

the fuck does soyboy even mean

doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Soyboy

that's one of the goddamn stupidest things I've ever seen, and I watched Kill the Moon

doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/45.33.96.106

All this user does is obsess over trips.

Based upon which episodes/Big Finish titles you've actually watched/listened to, who is your Favorite Doctor? Least Favorite Doctor?

>Favorite
8th Doctor. He's by far one of the most human incarnations of the character and seems like he stepped off the page of a swashbuckling adventure novel. THe movie didn't quite do him justice but his Big Finish titles expanded him into someone worth remembering. SOmething about seeing the 8th Doctor puts you at ease and you genuinely believe everything is going to be okay.
youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

>Least Favorite
10th Doctor. I think my biggest issue with him isn't the acting (Tennant was great), but how he was written. He started off cheeky and outgoing but after he's forced to leave Rose in the alternate dimension, he gradully begins his descent and starts embracing some of his worse qualities (Time Lord Victorious). He's the first Doctor to stop wallowing in the past but his ego has skyrockted to unprecedented levels. My favorite story with him was The Waters of Mars and it shows just how far he's fallen from his first "true episode" in New Earth. ALl that said, he is an incredibly layered Doctor that I enjoy watching, but in terms of being a likeably person he's kinda shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=4o9LrbdorS0
youtube.com/watch?v=65N7tTaxmdQ

Meme history:
Someone heard that soy can cause a minor increase in estrogen production. Sup Forums latched onto this to explain that all lefties are emasculated femme males who drink soy lattes. Amusingly, it turned out the guy who brought the soyboy conspiracy to the world's attention is selling supplements with soy in them.

>Favorite
Tom Baker. imo there's a reason he's so popular. Christopher Eccleston and Capaldi close behind though

>Least Favorite
Possibly Hartnell. I know that's sacreligious or whatever, but maybe I just haven't seen the right episodes to fall in love with that one. Pertwee close behind, I actually love Pertwee's era, but not that Doctor

I forget how outrageously stupid this website can be at times

>He's the first Doctor to stop wallowing in the past
Ten wallowed all the time though... I don't know what you mean by this? youtube.com/watch?v=H8agYk3Jv4c Whether it was about Rose or the Time War, he loved angsting and he did it a lot.

Post cool fanart

Want to be a part of /who/ secret santa? Here's how!

Step 1: Set up an amazon account

Step 2: If you don't want people to know your full name go to My Account > Personalization >Your public Profile to change your name to something less tracky.

Step 3: Make a public wish list of stuff you want
Also make sure you add an address or your not getting shit. Go to List Actions > Update List Profiles. Enable 3rd party to get things from amazon sellers(and save a nice gifter a few bucks) For added safety, choose items fulfilled by amazon to avoid possible sharing of your personal address!

Step 4: You post your list with everybody elses

Step 5:???

Step 6: Profit!

Don't worry if you can't gift back, that's not what this is about.
Would like everyone who participates to receive a gift, so if you see a ** next to someone's list, move onto the next one that hasn't received a gift.

Gift Givers, please reply with the list you
purchased for so it can be noted. Also change the URL to smile.amazon.com so a portion of the sale will be passed on to the charity of your choice!

17514VADVEQIM**
DGXY4RJPSQWB**
2CG83V99TQ9RD
OFSL0NT2DR5U**
2IZSELC8RIKC9**
1ICTY5EYJA536
2HR8QCNPF2EJV
2869K8NQWTDYU**
3PAIZYX4T3S3W -Amazon . co . uk
1MXNH09BNBX5 -Amazon . co . uk
2IZ3HNTFTN5L1 -Amazon . co . uk
3CAH1CFP6G2EL**
2YB70I6MMXBS3**
323YTTMPJ785K
262G3I4KG1F45
2MQZUPOL0CKTX-Amazon . co . uk
2HYIJO0I43LA7-Neo
1G2S444Y78RO5-Amazon . co . uk
user requests a the Radical Doctor Lym requests Jess art.user requests art of a Ironside trying to make tea.Post your lists!
Don't want a physical gift? Make a request for OC arts, Vocaroo holiday greeting, or something else maybe? Perhaps someone will fulfill your request!
Merry /who/mas!
Will add them to the copy pasta for the next thread.

I have a picture of Ten with his eye gouged out, would you consider this cool

>I don't know what you mean by this
I think I mean to say not so visibly scarred when he interacts with everydaying indviduals. You could watch one scene of 9 and it's clear that there is something bubbling under the surface. 10 on the other hand regrets but eventually he reevaluates the experience and declares himself the "winner" of a massacre he used to end the war.

I wonder how'd I perceive 10 if he had been my first Doctor. There's a chance I'd perceive him signfiicantly more favorable but I guess I'll never know.

absolutely! wtf edge, ur scaring me

Ahhh okay, I get what you mean now.

>I wonder how'd I perceive 10 if he had been my first Doctor

I'm glad he wasn't mine. Eccleston was a much better introduction, because, let me tell you a secret; I did not like Ten at first.

INTO THE TRASH HE GOES

I've got a favor to ask of /who/. If you don't see this pasta copied in a thread by say the 30th reply, would someone mind posting it for me? I can give you all the trip code. Secret #EK|ggET. Especially the next couple of days. I got some bad news and I don't know if I'm going to be around or have my mind about me to post it and I'd prefer /who/ not have to suffer for it. I'd prefer to not shit up the thread and talk about it right now, but I'll probably want to talk to someone about it eventually Thanks, guys.

Ah, parole violation?

I'm currently venturing through the extensive Big Finish catalog and so far I"m loving it. For those of you that have listened to a signficiantly amoutn of the audiodramas, what would you recommend for a first time exposure to 4? 5? 6? 7?
>Im listening to 8's audiodramas and loving it. I just finished The Stones of Venice and I really enjoyed it.
>I'm really interested in getting into the 6th and 7th Doctors so I'd love any info you can provide.

>I think my biggest issue with him isn't the acting (Tennant was great)

Indeed. Tennant took some really inconsistent writing and made it work through force of will.

>I wonder how'd I perceive 10 if he had been my first Doctor.

10 was a lot like his writing: extremely bi-polar. In some episodes he's the most charming, charismatic, dashing bloke in TV history. In others, he's genuinely, terrifyingly, psychotic. Everyone remembers the former, and tries to forget about the later. It seemed like two different characters at times. I attribute that to RTD trying and failing to be edgy.

Please no trolling when someone's suferring actual trouble.

We're here for you Cloister. I hope you're okay.

"The Whoniverse" is full of GOAT art

if you take the next 8 audio seriously you probably wont like it, i actually think its hilarious but most people have a more negative opinion

I thought the fans getting to see TUAT on the 14th was a joke, is this actually happening?
Forget just leaving /who/, anyone who wants to watch the episode without spoilers will have to leave the internet entirely, spoilers will be on all social media, every website remotely related to television, any source of news anywhere.

What possible reason would the BBC have for allowing anyone but media critics to see it two weeks in advance? It's like they WANT spoilers leaking all over the internet. They spoiled Simm's Master to create hype, but they have no reason at all and nothing to gain from doing this.

the english screenings starting from the 14th dont have the jodie scene, the australian screening on the 22nd does however

I'm half considering just showing up to the studio that day in case there are spare seats from people who got a ticket but don't show up but I get the feeling that wouldn't work

Does animated fanart count?

>What possible reason would the BBC have for allowing anyone but media critics to see it two weeks in advance?
I made a thoery a few threads about this. They probably did the early screenings so the special wouldn't get buried and forgetten over the Star Wars hype.

Aye, now anytime an article/stephen colbert mentions a bizarre thing members of the alt right are doing know that its because they are lurking Sup Forums and taking all the memes at face value

It's not all about Jodie's first scene though. Intriguing as I'm sure it'll be, that's just the last minute of it. The entire story, characters and plot is still out there on the internet come the 14th of December.

Your theory is as good as the next one but it's still a nonsensical reason to air it to the common man. Generally people don't go to the cinema on Christmas (at least in the UK), they stay in, eat a fuckload of food and then sprawl out on the couch watching Christmas telly. Some new Star Wars film isn't going to change that people will be tuning in on Christmas evening. It's not either/or.

I just honestly don't get it. Critics I understand, they get an early viewing, write up a review and wait for the embargo to lift. But random fans will just spread the entire story all over the internet.
Do they even have to sign a non-disclosure agreement? Even if they do, it's impossible to keep the embargo when dealing with people who don't make their living writing articles online.

>unitonically watching le wacky britbong show

>>>/tumblr/

So what do we think the Minister of War is?

My suspicion is it's Whithouse's plan for the Master, whenever he gets the power to write a Master story.

Just looking at this picture gave me autism.

That said, if we're gonna start canonizing bullshit from the Ostentatious Obscurity page, surely the Faction deserves their day in the spotlight.

I want you to imagine Steven Moffat writing a Faction Paradox television story. I want you to imagine Mile's reaction.

It'd be a bit lame if they did another story with the Master holding a powerful position in the government on Earth. I think, and kinda hope, it'll just be one of those cool name mentions we never really get an answer to.
Is Whithouse even still on the writing team? Apart from Under the Lake/Before the Flood I didn't enjoy any of his episodes much, I'd like some fresh but talented blood on the writing team, maybe bring back Whithouse in a few years.

>dude on the right
I never knew how much I'd love Daft Punk to make a cameo appearance

He had to know about Chibnall Who when he wrote that line, so I would wager he's planning on joining the writer's room at some point.

The alternative, that he's laying the groundwork for a Big Finish spinoff, is too terrible to contemplate.

Is it any good? I was gonna listen to it ages ago but forgot it was a thing

>Daft Punk comes out of hiatus, announced as the new composer for Doctor Who

>Cybermen musical episode

I'd watch that unironically

Thoughts on Tooth and Claw? (werewolf episode)

>The Doctor and her companions land in an 80s nightclub currently under siege by the Cybermen. She attempts to defeat them by broadcasting a signal through the sound system that will shut down their emotional inhibitors, but inadvertently discovers the sheer brutal efficiency of their Robot.

Passable 6/10

Neither Torchwood we ever see is actually built at that location. That's weird.

I feel the ninja powers should have turned out more important than they did.

I'm pretty sure the BBC has co-rights to everything in the Eighth Doctor novels, so this would be completely possible? I don't think Faction Paradox would benefit from being on TV, but it'd be worth it just to see Loz's twitter reaction.

Yeah, I think it's pretty good. Very believable as a story from after the end of the War in Heaven. Hope to get Tardis Wiki to recognize it some day and maybe get the Minister to show up, all fully-licensed and everything, in my eventual Dr Who spinoff.

Ugh, just imagine the synth kino!

Stop it, I'm cumming! This needs to happen now. Cameo is one thing, but imagine DW's soundtrack done by Daft Punk, nothing would be more glorious.

>"Hey, those sure are a weird looking couple of cybermen. Why are they starting to play music? Are they trying to take over the world with their funky beats?"

In b4 "I was not amused"

>I'm pretty sure the BBC has co-rights to everything in the Eighth Doctor novels, so this would be completely possible?
Nope.
The BBC does not actually have the Marvel/DC power to simply own whatever people make for them. This is why "K9 Timequake" can exist as anything other than a photoshop and some greentext, because Bob Baker still owns the rights to K9 and Omega. It's also why the Daleks keep showing up every season, the Nation Estate knows they're central to the show's popularity and mythology and thus can hold the license hostage and make demands like "At least one Dalek story per season".

In FP's particular case, the BBC did retain the ability to use them in the books alone, and only exercised that right in order to write The Ancestor Cell and ruin everything forever. They would not have the right to use them on TV as they please, they'd have to get permission from whoever owns the rights.

Now here's the part where it goes from "absolutely impossible" to "would never happen but technically could": The rights to Faction Paradox don't actually belong to Mad Larry anymore. He doesn't even know who has them now (Obverse, I would guess). And if Chibnall dropped a load of cash and some licensing options on them, they might say "Sure, you can use Faction Paradox in your little TV show." And Chibnally could climb into Moffat's bed late at night and whisper into his ear "I have the rights to Faction Paradox and I will let you write an episode featuring them and we will invite Miles to a private screening beforehand, attended by Matt Smith and one hundred teenage girls, but in exchange you must let me fuck your wife."

And, if history is any judge, Sue Vertue would be tickling the chinballs within the hour, Moffat typing furiously in the corner.

>captcha: STOP Miranda
That's a good idea, let's Lance Parkin on the phone too.

I truly love that episode. I was only 14 when it aired so it was really thrilling and scary for me. The werewolf looked really good as well. I'd always been afraid of werewolves as a young boy so it was a scary episode for me, but I enjoyed the characters and the setting, and also 10's "don't....don't do that" when Rose tried a Scottish accent. The line became a bit overused later on though. Still, solid 8/10 with a lot of suspense, great effects and interesting story.

Another example of this, though I'm not sure how concrete it is, is that you can't just rewrite one of the novels as a script and get away with it. I mean, Name and Day of the Doctor come close I guess, but every time an episode explicitly remakes one of the non-canon EU materials as a legit episode, it's always written by the writer of the original. I don't know whether this is due to legal concerns or practical ones, though. Like, Dalek is really good and that's probably because it's written by Shearman, but I don't know if he was given right of first refusal out of respect for his work or legal obligation. Davies's Dalek would have sucked, though, I know that much.

Doctor Who is dead.

>not mike dean

However, we shouldn't be so quick to ignore Davies' input. Based on his comments, quite a few of the Human Nature 2-parter was rewritten by him, and some of the things that we praise Cornell for was actually Davies' doing.

>Not accepting Daft Punk as your robot overlords

Here is the colour version of of Ten getting btfo

>not even owning the rights to the only thing people know you for
How JUST is Miles?

Did every Doctor have a catchphrase or did that start with NuWho's
>Fantastic!
>Allons-y!
>Geronimo!

Arguably Tom Baker had his jelly baby catchphrase, but did any others have a stock/catchphrase?

Five: Brave heart
Three: Reverse the polarity
Two: Why look at this, Jamie!

>Three: Reverse the polarity
We're confusing the polarity always makes me laugh

Good comment, even if I disagree with the certainty of some of your statements. Eg
>The BBC does not actually have the Marvel/DC power to simply own whatever people make for them.
That's definitely true, but the contracts have changed a lot since Terry Nation and Bob Baker were writing for the show. For instance, the NuWho contracts specify that if you create eg an alien for an episode, you'll get credit if a different writer uses that alien in a future episode, but you don't own the absolute rights because the contract specifies that you're not allowed to go and use the alien in non-Doctor Who stuff. (Source: I tried to get permission to use the Absorbaloff.) There's no reason to think that the rules that applied to Dr Who IP during the Classic series also apply to NuWho, or the EDAs for that matter.

Re: NuWho adaptations, keep in mind also that Human Nature and Jubilee weren't made for the BBC: one was for Virgin Books, and the other was for Big Finish. Of course the BBC would have to jump through hoops to adapt these stories; they don't even have partial rights, just a tenuous connection via the Doctor Who license.

Compare with Big Finish's adaptations of VNAs and VMAs, though. BF was able to do that because the rights to the Virgin Books belong to the authors, so they can get permission from one person and then adapt the story. (You can see that in their novel adaptations range, they tended to adapt several stories from one writer, eg Gareth Roberts.) But iirc Nick Briggs has explicitly said or at least hinted that EDA adaptations are off the table because unlike with Virgin, the BBC Books rights are with the Beebs.

continued in next comment ...

>In FP's particular case, the BBC did retain the ability to use them in the books alone, and only exercised that right in order to write The Ancestor Cell and ruin everything forever.
But the Faction are also used in "The Gallifrey Chronicles". And even though everyone likes to pretend that the EDAs are a separate series from the PDAs and the NSAs, BBC Books have never made a distinction between the three, so if they were able to use the Faction in an EDA published while series 1 was airing, I think they'd also be able to use the Faction in a Twelfth Doctor book. (Unless the contract had some time limit, which I can't imagine the BBC agreeing to or Lawrence fighting for, especially since he didn't even think twice about the Faction until he heard Kate Orman was interested in them.)

That said, I concede that it's probable that BBC Books' rights don't at all imply permissions for the TV show. The license for Faction Paradox audios changed hands from BBV to Magic Bullet without any effect on the license for Faction Paradox books (which itself switched from Mad Norwegian to Random Static halfway through the True History audios). The same presumably applies to the TV license. But I really don't see any reason to think that BBC Books, being co-owners of everything published in their Doctor Who line, wouldn't be able to create a Faction Paradox book.

>The rights to Faction Paradox don't actually belong to Mad Larry anymore. He doesn't even know who has them now (Obverse, I would guess).
To be fair, he said that to someone asking him for permission to use Faction Paradox in a story. I personally understood it not as "I don't own the rights anymore" but as "I've already given permission to someone else, so talk to them if you want to write a Faction Paradox story." I commend you on your knowledge of deleted Loz tweets, though!

>>captcha: STOP Miranda
>That's a good idea, let's Lance Parkin on the phone too.
Saaaavaaaage

GARETH ROBERTS: "Having watched the other [Series 8] episodes, [Capaldi] is very intense in 2, 3, 4 and 5, so [‘The Caretaker’] comes as a bit of a blast."
>Implying Twelve is intense in Robot of Sherwood
This is such a strange thing to say considering how angry Twelve got in The Caretaker.

Gareth actually despises Mark Gatiss with all his soul, so he would never voluntarily watch anything Gatiss had a hand in.

oooh, this is interesting. What's the beef between Mark and Gareth?

I just made it up as I was typing that comment.

It's probably true though.

youtube.com/watch?v=XcuFJXgU6cA

>invisible aliens
>people aging to death

was hideo kojima inspired by john wiles and the daleks' master plan?

Well, Gatiss is gay and liberal, and Gareth le conservative, badly enduring people with opposite opinions. It's pretty likely that they do not get along.

They're both homos, so it's possible they hate each other for homo reasons.

I usually don't hate other homos, personally, but I know that's a thing.

The hatesex must be amazing though

Kojima has just been reading mpreg fanfiction so he wants to make a videogame about it and his three boyfriends; Mads, Norman, and Del Toro

del Toro could make an amazing Doctor Who episode, btw.

>tfw del Toro can never make a War Doctor episode

You're absolutely right, oh man, yes please

So, I bought a ticket for TUAT in the cinema, and the duration that specified - 1 hour and 40 minutes. Even with some additional materials and shit, it is unlikely that the series will be 60 minutes long. Most likely about 75-90 minutes.

For better and worse, Kojima's writing and Moffat's writing are very similar to each other.

What is the Moffat equivalent of NANOMACHINES

Timey wimey

Is this /who/?

It's one of the things RTD called 10

The literal nanomachines in The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances? Also,

Not RTD, one of the characters.

Now that I really think about it... was that a Whithouse episode?

Extensive googling finds it was a line written by RTD for an episode so bad I don't even retain it.

>the last 10/10 monthly range story was 7 years ago

Last 9/10 monthly was a couple months ago though.

So, /who/, whatcha been reading lately?

pastebin.com/JzAaLveM

Are you recording it?