Jack's dialogue was really out of place. Why was he so cheerful and optimistic...

Jack's dialogue was really out of place. Why was he so cheerful and optimistic? I think most of the jokes would've landed even if he was more short-spoken and moody.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedic_device#Understatement
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He's starting to regain hope

He's not a completely depressed shit like me

I found this episode to be extremely funny, but not in the way that the writers probably intended.

He was making light of the situation. It's a survival tactic to avoid giving up hope

>Why was he so cheerful and optimistic?

He only does something 'cheerful' twice, and it's because Ashi is either making him uncomfortable or trying to do so.

You'd be happy too if after fifty years of being suicidally depressed and mostly on your own you finally got the chance to have someone to talk to. And this is different from the doggos because he's forced to talk to her in order to perform the work of continuing to keep her alive while also restrained, so he gets out of feeling like he's being selfish for trying to make a companion.

Because they realize that teen titans go is the better show and that Jack needs to be more like beast boy

He's probably just happy he has someone to talk to that isn't an alien, a monster or some robot trying to kill him. Just a rapable human female.

He was trying to build a connection with Ashi so that she could trust him.

>Cheerful and Optimistic

That was literally only when he was taking the quils off

Because she's probably the first person he's talked to in 20 years.

yes, because people cant change to cheerful? idiot

He's having a complete mental breakdown. Now he's deluding himself into believing that everything is going to be just because he finally has someone to talk to who isn't a hallucination despite that person wanting to kill him at every turn.

The acupuncture joke was stupid, and I don't mean the joke's content. They tried to make the situation awkward and it just didn't feel like Jack, rather just using the characters to play out this ungodly comedy so many people use, very forced awkward humor.

Jack's awkward moments were always silence, and he spoke when talked to most of the time, very quickly and back to being quiet.

The humor just feels more "modern", like what is always given to us now, rather than what it was like in the old seasons. It doesn't even have to be that way, just write it more silent.

I go in and out of liking some of his lines, they just don't feel like him, even if they may be funny at times.

Your opinions are wrong and you should feel bad for having them.

>talks to himself for 50 years
>finally meets human being he can talk to
>tries awkward small talk

is this unbelievable?

>Jack's dialogue was really out of place.
Watch the original series, if you think so. He's still the same person.

Jack is merely regaining his smile and optimism from the last episode.

He finally has someone to talk to after 50 years of being alone?

honestly can't tell if jack is spilling spaghetti is just having a grandpa moment.
>you faggots seem to forget jack is like 70 years old, its perfectly reasonable for him to be senile and thus making nonsense dialogue

this guy gets it

>people in this thread assuming Jack hadn't talked to other people in 50 years
Why are jackfags always making retarded assumptions? Just because he's depressed doesn't mean he lost his ability to alleviate a tense situations.

I'll begin by saying I don't agree with these stupid b8 threads and think his dialogue is fine.

That out of the way, I'm also going to point out that senility is a function of physical brain problems that happen when you age. Jack isn't aging, his brain isn't losing its structural integrity, and therefore he has no reason to be senile.

I guess he had to talk to someone to get his armor but that's it. He's a paranoid wreak that thinks Aku will beat his ass at any given moment.

The O N L Y Jack line I have weird vibes with is the "You are very troubled" thing. I don't know what exactly that type of joke is called, but I've seen it more and more in recent shows.

I'm only slightly autistic I promise, I just can't figure out how to word my opinions here, especially since I can't name the joke type and have to skip around it's details.

>literally the only person on Sup Forums who has an issue with this shit

well 50s is a bit of a stretch, tho it would be safe to say that he hasnt really had meaningful social contact in a long time. it could be decades or could just be a few years, either way jack does show signs of social deprivation .

First thing they show you is how he doesn't stay to talk with the doggos, in noticeable contrast with how he would've been in the earlier seasons (they even use the same enemies, the beetle robots, to make sure this contrast happens in your head). The obvious implication if you aren't autistic and have been paying attention is that after he lost his sword he's changed from being a somewhat hopeful guy on a mission to save everyone to being a cynicial / pragmatic survivor loner who knows he's just prolonging the inevitable. The beard and unkempt hair also communicate his switch from how he was earlier to someone who's lost his way and needs to be on his own now. His hallucinations also tell you this, they happen because he's all alone and stuck with the festering doubts of his own mind multiplying until they're literally audible like anything else around him in the real world is. Try criticizing less and paying attention more.

Maybe not 50 whole years, but considering how Jack just saved the Emoji family and left without a word, plus he didn't bother to reciprocate anything the Scatman bot was saying, it could be safe to assume he has never really talked to anyone because he feels his only purpose now is to save people.

>talking to the camera

>not senile
>basically each episode has shown jack talking to things that arent there
sure user.

Schizophrenia isn't senility.

you aren't alone, I guess it almost sounded like something someone would tell someone whose talking shit on the sidewalk and not to an assassin chained up in the woods if that makes any sense

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedic_device#Understatement

Relief that he didn't kill all of them? A chance to make up for having to kill the others? Finally having someone other than a suicidal hallucination to talk to?

special forces survival guides stress the importance of keeping up your spirits and retaining hope while struggling to survive

>this user has clearly never been around old people
Ok user.
>i honestly just don't have the energy to debate someone on an anonymous internet forum about fictional beings right now
....Why am i even here again?

It was fine though.

You're confusing Jack with Ghost Jack. Ghost Jack is not his actual temperament.

There's nothing to debate. His brain hasn't aged. You literally cannot go senile with the brain of a man in his twenties or thirties. His hallucinations are because he's mentally ill. Old people don't just magically go senile because they've been around for a while, it's something to expect in old age because that's what the consequences of brain deterioration are. If you were magically kept from aging you would never go senile even in a million years because your brain wouldn't deteriorate.

Youd be happy and cheerful too if you just killed a bunch of teenage girls.

50/50, not completely what I'm thinking but it does touch on half of it

Same here, but I feel both of you get what I'm saying enough for it to be understood.

thanks guys

Describe more what it doesn't touch on.

you don't know the extent as to how his aging has stopped
you're making things up that aren't there

>no one could even arrest you, even if they were good

They already explained it was because of Aku's magic, and that sending him to the future effected his aging process.

It's as simple as "He's not senile because magic."

>you're making things up that aren't there

You're the one making something up that isn't there. Aku already confirmed Jack stopped aging as a side effect of the time travel magic. This means he stopped aging until someone / something else in the story says otherwise. His brain continuing to age is your own retarded fanfiction idea.

I dunno, I've found trying to describe what people don't get to make it more construed than what I'm thinking.

Fuck, it's like he's pointing it out in this weird way and I don't know what it's called or whatever. Maybe it's the tone? Yea it's an understatement line but it's more of how he says it, but the understatement part is definitely a factor.

I bet if I could accurately explain shit that bothers me my life would be pretty great.

Don't stress out about being perfect. But do try to describe it. Whatever little bits you can put into words, do it now. It's the only way you'll move towards an answer.

He was alone for a long time. Having company really cheered him up. Even from an enemy.

Saneility happens with an aging brain.
jack doesn't age.

like he's saying it in a "armchair psychologist" kind of way?

Because he realized Aishi is literally him, except distorted.

If he can convince Aishi he's right, that basically proves he can "beat" Aku.

Alright, you want to take it literally and argue what is and isn't possible? Let's ignore all the magic and monsters, Jack's brain shouldn't be able to hold memories as he's stopped aging. He should just be in a comatose state. He shouldn't need to eat. His wounds should not be able to heal.

How about he's just fucked up because magic.

Also, I'm not that other guy arguing for jack going senile.

www.strawpoll.me/12706704

How was the episode, lads?www.strawpoll.me/12706704

How was the episode, Iads?

She's probably the first human being he's talked to in a long time.

That's all I got my man. It's just the tone I guess, or the inflection, whichever. I've heard it in stuff before like "You are WAAAYYY messed up dude!" but it's a much less effect, and it bothers me slightly more that it's Jack saying it that way and not anyone else.

Either way I'm glad someones willing to hear me out autistically finding the right words for my annoyance.

>This user has confused dementia and senility
Ok user.

in a way, i suppose

Aging isn't the same as daily bodily processes still happening you brainlet. Your hair doesn't turn grey just because your body's still digesting food. I don't even understand how you can be this stupid. When you get old enough your body stops getting maintained properly and everything starts to unravel until you die. That's totally different from your daily biological processes still happening each day when you're in your 20s or 30s.

Well I guess I'm not well versed in how fictional evil arcane magics work, I'm sure glad we have an expert in this thread.

He ages mentally user

>Your hair doesn't turn grey just because your body's still digesting food
aging isnt strictly limited to grey hair

existing every day = aging

It's like you fuckers never watcher the 4 first seasons.
He always had goofy moments. It's not because it's season 5 and is rated for blood that the show will switch to 100% depression. Oh well, maybe for Aku.

>existing every day = aging

No, unless you have progeria. Gerontology isn't the study of how bodies change every day regardless of age. There's a special collection of events that take place after your body's been around for a long time and the processes that normally keep it going start to do a progressively worse job at keeping shit together. This doesn't happen every day of your life, it begins after you've lived long enough for a bunch of possibilities for bodily repair errors to begin multiplying until they're actualized as physical changes seen in the elderly.

As the show states, it's a SLOW aging process. Sure, technically he's still a day older every 24 hours, but compared to a regular human he's probably only aged a millisecond.

That isn't the same. Becoming senile is due to physical changes in the body.

Sexy girls awaken a peacocking instinct. We call this Demonstrating Value. Also in this episode he Engaged Physically and Nurtured Dependence.

It's both a blessing and a curse mako was the first Aku, because we saw the end of the rainbow, but now we must deal with it never being reachable again through no fault of anyone but time.

If this is just a shitty lines thread,

>"what were you expecting, a hug and a kiss?"
>making the puffball british at all and still Tara

>Sad Jack noticed Ashi missing before Jack did

Eh, if I really had to defend it, it was probably just that feeling of presence being gone. Like that atmospheric change when someone enters the room behind you.

In this case it's close to a "the monster's right behind me isn't it?" thing, but just "she's gone" here. Still, taken at face value it's kinda weird.

Jack's a fucking dork.

>what is ptsd
it's like you fucks are retarded or something

>Water Beetle!

Bad writing. His 50 year old fruitless struggle is overcome by having a chick around.

Those awkward lines aren't new to Samurai Jack

>Looks like there won't be any money for you, crazy round man!
>If you are me then who am I?
>You see, Aku, I'm smart, and you're pure evil.

No.

I agree. "Many people pay a lot of money for this" sounds like modern day bullshit. If he had said "In my times there was this ancient healing art, it's called, acupuncture" would have fit his character better, and have the punchline of the joke be Ashi rising one brow and some other stupid face by Jack.

>wahhh why isn't jack depressed and moody like me

Jacks lived in the future longer than the past at this point

He's been depressed and under stress for the past episodes and for, as it seems, years prior. The issue here was him suddenly being more upbeat out of nowhere, especially with an assassin that has done nothing but push him into trouble, bitch and moan about wanting his blood, and can't make any other face to him than constipation tier.

The writers just decided to put in jokes they'd find funny in a different situation rather than keeping with his stress and having him at least rather grow out of it. They quickly jumped to the "evil bitch who's helpless and the guy that's good and can now make snide remarks" dynamic because they really wanted to get to it apparently.

At this point it's not if the jokes were funny or not, it's that they were quickly placed after episodes where Jack is seeing visions of his dying family, thinking about suicide, and having guilt trips of killing humans. They just really couldn't wait for this funny setup.

Man I am really glad I didn't go in with the expectations you guys did.

Anyone have a stream?

Riding a motorcycle and carrying a machine gun is very modern. Jack's changed, he's modernized.

Like Said. He's 70-80 years old and most of that's been spent in the strangest fucking future anyone could imagine

It could have been a heartwarming scene to see him being reminiscent of the past, and help the development of Ashi's friendliness to him.

It's not expectations, it's watching the series as it goes and getting tonal whiplash.

It could have been a lot of things. You can't judge something based on what it could be.

I judge their lack of judgement for choosing this bland joke out of all the possibilities it could have been like you said.

it's a coping trope, he went from killing zero people to killing 6 people and didn't want to kill the last one because it would have been a straight up execution instead of self defense

It wasn't about killing her, it was about joking with her right after showing he's fallen farther than the average hero slump. I could see it as a coping mechanism, but the thing is they didn't focus on that very well if so.

Help a nigga PLEASE, it's about to air!

Stream where?

user today is sunday

Your version of the joke is shit, user.

(OP) #
Why was Episode XCV rated TV-14 DLV?

The first three episodes have all been TV-14 for Violence only. I guess I can understand suggestive dialogue, but the worst piece of language I heard was scum.

People would have still paid money for it back in the past, its not like exchange of currency for service is some modern day idea.

If it really bugs you, think of it as a very luxurious thing few would be able to afford, and as the son of an emperor and empress, he would often see his father or mother pay highly for experts, hence his knowledge of it

You rate a series, not individual episodes.

where the mega at

It's called a breather episode.

You can't do ten episodes with nothing but murder, suicide, and grimdark shit.

I think he just meant the expression