Explain to me why a BioShock movie wouldn’t work

This guy gives bullshit reasons (if Deadpool, a shitty capeshit movie can make money with an R rating). I think a film adaptation would be incredible if done right.
youtu.be/STcOAq-Ranw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uiA4B5Y63IQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We don't need any more movies based off of video games.

Because video game movies will always be fucking garbage

Hollywood can't adapt for shit

I slightly agree but just think about this game. It already has a very cinematic storyline and visuals and the premise would be much less forced than other by movies

because ken levine woud never be down for that shit, and he is the bio shock man

Isn't that reason to not adapt it to film? What would you even get out of a BioShock movie that you don't from the game?

This is the dumbest reason. There's not one reason to believe an adaptation of one media to another couldn't make a good film.

The track record with literally all video game movies ever made being shit?

I fully believe it can be done. On an honest note, I'd enjoy a Bioshock Infinite movie more than Bio1.
>Real life Elizabeth
>Floating City
>Movie like plot structure
I think it can be done 100%

the whole point of bioshock is that it's a meta-commentary on the mute protagonist following orders trope in videogames. the only reason you think it'd be a good movie is because of its art direction, but that's probably the worst reason to turn something into a movie

i wish we could literally brand people who think this would be a good idea with a mark of shame

Because literally the entire fucking point of the plot twist is about the concept of player agency you fucking retard, and how you as Jack have been doing everything Atlas said since the very beginning. Without that twist the story is straightforward and boring as fuck.

The biggest reason is you're taking a medium where you're watching something for far more than 2 hours and getting stimuli that's not as directly related to visuals, then turning it into a 2 hour movie. Sometimes it's because they just went apeshit though, like the Super Mario Bros movie

And so what? "there can never be this because it hasn't been done before" is the dumbest reasoning for anything

Better visuals, I don’t know my reasons, but I really want it

>Bioshock 2 movie
>a pack of rabid crack fiends try to kill a man with a drill while protecting a small girl
>they live happily every after

It's been tried and it never works, and with shit they could adapt more easily. Ass Creed is an easy as fuck movie and look how they fucked that up. Doom too. Meanwhile Bioshock's story literally rides on it being a video game.

Fucking this with the trips

I have a theory. You know in your lizard brain that bioshock was a good game, but you don't know why, so you think it deserves a movie as a form of recognition. The problem is that like and said this misses the entire point

>A Man chooses, A Slave obeys

A large driving theme of the game was individuality and freedom. You can put this to film. The commentary of the player controlling the video game is lost but that's meta to just a playing a video game. You can still have the audience apply this to their life

Fuuuuuu!

the goose would be good as the hero.

>there can never be this because it hasn't been done before

This is the best argument you have

>half of the movie is the jack laying out trap bolts in a hallway while chugging back 80 proof alcohol

this, or tom hardy

I can't understand this argument. There's been plenty of books, comics, and literally any medium that's been done well in a movie. There's no reason to believe a video game can't

>bioshock only works as a video game
>something something player control
Man this is stupid. If you guys don't see how interesting the world of Bioshock is, you are pic related. In would be an amazing movie.

But that has literally zero impact because it's obvious shit. That "commentary of the player controlling the video game" is the entire point of BioShock's story. You had might as well not make a BioShock movie at that point because normies won't give a fuck and everyone who actually played BioShock would be rightfully pissed because it wouldn't be BioShock, it would just be a shitty version of Ayn Rand.

>Surely if I keep banging my head against the wall instead of going around it I can break through eventually
And this is the best argument you have.

This here
youtube.com/watch?v=uiA4B5Y63IQ
look oddly similiar to bioshock.

Because your System Shock minus Space Shodan RPG or scary didnt even work as a video game

It would just be another shitfest like Tomorrowland.

>X book only works as a book because it has words in it

>interesting
You know it's literally Atlas Shrugged but underwater, right?

>if done right.
you have shit taste DESU

Let me ask this,

Was jack aware that he was under mind control the whole time or was he like us, completely oblivious

Why was he mute

vidya movies dont work, sorry user
a good vidya relies on 75% gameplay 25% story

you take out the gameplay, you just get a mediocre story that's been done already in film somewhere

Yeah, let (((Hollywood))) ruin one more thing!

>commentary of the player controlling the video game is the entire point of BioShock's story

It literally isn't. It's meta

>Surely if I keep banging my head against the wall instead of going around it I can break through eventually

Using this dumb analogy, using a different video game every time would be like using a different material to break your head through.

We aren't trying to adapt the same video game here are we?

No it's not.

If anything, it's more like a fanfiction Atlas Shrugged sequel where John Galt's utopia has failed in spectacular fashion.

Saying it's Atlas Shrugged but underwater is just wrong.

Last of Us had shitty gameplay but a great story.

me am smars u guy dumm
da vido gayme made a gud moobe

>Book movies don't work because there's no pictures, there's only words

Last of Us was a shit game and you have to be either black or poor to think otherwise. Which is it?

Because good games have some sort of player feedback other than just telling a story (even in narrative heavy games). That's fundamentally different from comics or books. It's not impossible for a movie named "Bioshock" to be good, but it's impossible for it to be good for the same reasons the game was, so there's no point aside from a cash grab aimed at people who will buy tickets to anything they recognize the name of

you're a fucking retard. Gore Verbinski got the rights years ago, and the only reason why the movie didn't happen is because of Zack Snyder. Yes, that's right. snyder. Not only did he fuck up superman, he fuck up the bioshock movie. Gore wanted an r-rated movie and the studio were down with that, until watchmen flopped and they say no to his r-rated film, they wanted a smaller budget, they wanted a pg-13 movie.

So yeah, fuck Zack Snyder that fucking piece of shit

It's storytelling is unparalleled in Western vidya, but please launch more ad hominems.

Man, that twist was sooooo good. Probably the best twist in videogames.

The big twist is 100% reliant on the video game medium.
If you're just watching some dude follow orders, then find out "he was brainwashed!" you don't really care, but when YOU have been following "suggestions" and find those suggestions were orders in disguise you feel dirty.

Because a major narrative element is a meta commentary on structural elements exclusive to the medium.

>good games have some sort of player feedback other than just telling a story
>Other than that they are just telling a story
Untrue

No shit they wouldn't be good for the same reasons, that doesn't needed to be stated

Gore Verbinski is a shitstained n'th-gen polack and I'm glad he didn't touch the source material.

My point is that it wouldn't be a good film without Ken Levine's involvement, and he would never oblige because what everyone else here is saying about an adaptation not doing Bioshock justice is 100% correct

You guys realize there's more to the game then just that? Like there's stuff that happens after that too. The whole thing was just meta too for you to take the idea from just video games to all aspects of your life, you can still apply it to your life if you guys think that is so important

Because it's a boring game from 2007 no normie knows about

But that's what makes it special. Otherwise it's System Shock 2 but for dumber people.

>Ken Levine
>good
"no"

They'd also have to fix the retarded plot and everything that happens in it

>why would it be bad to rip out the main point in a work? there are other bits around the main point we can use for a movie adaptation
Imagine Lord of the Rings where the Hobbits are from Bree, and so they don't really have an Arcadia to long for. It would be shit, since you've excised the entire point Tolkien was trying to make. It doesn't matter how cool the battles would be, since you've gutted the work.
Fucking normalfags fuck off

>he thinks the main point of BioShock was to tell gaymers that gaymes are controlling them

According to the project lead, yes. And he is to be believed because he sabatoged his successor project attempting to outdo the pretentiousness.

Super Mario Bros movie was good, days are just mad it wasn't true to the cartoon or game at all, but it stands on its own.

made me laugh, thank you very much user

Because unlike what dumb gamers think, the story is absolute fucking trash.

Levine is given too much credit for Bioshock and System Shock work he did as a team when on his own given full control he delivers hot garbage like Infinite. Coincidentally there's a quote from Warren Specter about that. Levine has either lost it or is a total fraud, his involvement doesn't mean shit anymore.

Warren Specter, you mean the guy who made Deus Ex?

>Themes about freedom, control, liberty, objectivism saturate every diagetic element
>The way first person shooters are structured is addressed by the narrative to illustrate these themes

This is what pretentious faggots call ludo-narrative synchronicity, where narrative elements work in tandem with gameplay, it is a big reason why Bioshock is well regarded.

Dark Souls does something similar with how the dynamic narratives of the NPCs are analogous to the player's experience. Dying doesn't permanently kill undead in the world Dark Souls, just as the player doesn't truly die when he is slain in battle; but losing motivation drives undead irreversiblely insane and causes player give up playing the game; both essentially being true fail states.

They both worked at Looking Glass.

VtMB and Planescape Torment exist so you're a retard.

>WITH YOUR FEET IN THE AIR
>AND YOUR HEAD ON THE GROUND

>Because video game movies will always be fucking garbage