Have you ever enjoyed a movie in which every single character was unlikable?

Have you ever enjoyed a movie in which every single character was unlikable?

What the hell was Verhoeven thinking with this?

He was making a movie for adults. You'll get it, someday.

i would say that the main is pretty likeable

his movies are more about sympathizing with fringe psychologies though and the absurdism of trying to be normal

>What the hell was Verhoeven thinking with this?
Whatever it was he needs to think more and more in that line of reasoning because that was one of the best movies of last year.

>Verhoven
>Unlikeable characters

It's like you know nothing about his filmography or MO. 90% of what Verhoven does is satire on some level. Go watch Showgirls.

You don't get Verhoeven and you shouldn't watch his films.

I'm 30 years old, I think that should be old enough.

Are you kidding me? Fucks her only friend's husband, is a fucking bitch to everybody, and invites all kind of shit into her life. She's terrible. The only non-horrible person in the whole thing is her friend.

>The only non-horrible person in the whole thing is her friend.
What about her son?

Le easily impressed Americans.
I'm Dutch, I know his films. In our country he's seen for what he is.

>I'm Dutch,
You should be happy we're discussing a Dutch filmmaker at all. Your country doesn't produce anything noteworthy in regards to art. Even Sweden is more noteworthy than you.

Her son is a LITERAL cuck who takes abuse from his chav girlfriend just because she's hot. He also begs mom for money and has violent tendencies.

The black son reveal was the biggest laugh I got from a movie that year.

she redeems herself by admitting to her friend that she was fucking the guy

+ you see in the movie that shes had a fucked up childhood and genetics, her father murdered children in a high profile killing. despite this fact (and perhaps because) she was able to make something of her life.

she gets raped, she learns to get over it and have control of it. i dont know why i have to explain this to you. i think you just lack empathy

>Your country doesn't produce anything noteworthy in regards to art

What did the uncultured American swine with a 200 year 'history' mean by this?

He did most of his best work in America, Keetje Tippel and Black Book aside.

Zorn > Van Gogh. Suicide can impress anyone.

At first, it's kind of commendable, the way she deals with it, but as the movie goes on she does so much stupid shit that that feeling is completely undone. Maybe that's the point, but what's enjoyable about watching some bitch get raped again after she basically invited him to, then the guy who is a literal rapist getting killed? Who am I supposed to give a fuck about at this point?

fyi the likeable character complaint is the biggest sign of a pleb in the world

>90% of what Verhoven does is satire
the famous bourgeois cop-out

Cool goalpost moving, bro.
I can post internationally acclaimed paintings all night.

I liked how his black 'friend' was standing there grinning.

fair enough. i found it enjoyable. im not sure what you mean particularly by stupid shit - her life was ludicrous and youre sort of supposed to laugh at that: her mom is going to marry a gigolo, her son is raising a bastard child, her husband is dating a twenty yo, and of course the neighbor rapist. i think the way she handles things, this torrent of ridiculous shit is somewhat heroic and also classicly verhoeven.

at the end of the day though, it is entertainment and if you werent entertained you dont have to like it.

Notoriety != skill

>Maybe that's the point, but what's enjoyable about watching some bitch get raped again after she basically invited him to, then the guy who is a literal rapist getting killed?

What isn't?

>Who am I supposed to give a fuck about at this point?

Nobody, it's a film for adults, there's no hero to cheer for, just people to be more or less amused by.

This piece of shit, holy fuck