>Moon Girl's sales are at 9,000. 11,000 less than the cancellation threshold

>>Moon Girl's sales are at 9,000. 11,000 less than the cancellation threshold.
>>Moon Girl solves the problem of not one, but TWO events (Monsters Unleashed and Inhumans vs. X-Men)
>>Already in Marvel Future Fight and Avengers Academy games.
>>On top of that, regularly guest stars in multiple books and is about to join a team book soon.
WHY?! I would say nobody likes this character, but I see a Twitter defense force for her! Why are they so determined to push such an annoying character?

Other urls found in this thread:

news.marvel.com/comics/25800/now_is_your_chance_to_get_three_for_3_comics/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There's a Scholastic deal that means individual issue sales are much less important for this book. Cancellation numbers are more like 15,000 than 20,000 now too.

If you paid attention to comics news rather than looking for books to hate you might know this.

>Why are they so determined to push such an annoying character?

Because if little black girls don't have stongf, intellijunt, role models like Moon Girl and Iron Heart they either commit suicide or have 20 welfare babies with 20 different daddies.

>There's a Scholastic deal
Meaning what other than Scholastic is a book company?

You know exactly why

>people still read modern comics
But why?

Moon Girl sells at Scholastic book fairs. If you don't understand how that's an avenue to higher sales with things like Smile in the market then you are ignorant in a way that you will not be able to have a discussion about sales/viability.

Do you remember when Champions #1 had like 400,000 pre-orders? That was from a Scholastic deal too.

Nobody knows what a Scholastic deal here is but it's only speculated on. I think it's just because Marvel has noted that young adult stuff sells well in the bookstore market and they need their own.

...because someone wants to create a market for western loli?

Like this is nonsense, right?
This is just "I want to bitch/be racist" which is nothing but an echo chamber and a bunch of people pretending to be triggered/outraged.

The reason this book is still around is because it has avenues outside of the direct market. A weirder book to have gone on as long as it did would be like, Hellcat. I can't explain why Hellcat got so many issues, maybe it was a PR thing. But I can say why Moon Girl is still going, which is apparently your question. Or did you just want a thread for the first thing?

Please note I don't read Moon Girl and I'm not saying it's good. This is jus why it's still around with 9k sales, and also a demographic it does sell to that you won't necessarily see.

Book fairs are very popular, stuff you haven't even heard of like El Deafo has sold well over a million copies because of book fairs

somebody post the THOSE pics, come on we all want to see them!

So why publish issues at all when you could just make continue the story in trade form?

she's the lisa simpson of marvel, the girl who is always right and more smart and better than everybody else.

People say it's a good book, but looking through Sup Forums I can't tell if it's actual people or just pedophiles.

The thing is, if it were a self-contained all-ages book, there wouldn't even be reason for hate. But they just HAVE to push her in the other books, right?

That's an argument a hell of a lot of people on all sides of comics would try to sell you, for sure. Some people think that should be the way you go for most/all comics.

>But they just HAVE to push her in the other books, right?
Look man
Marvel's just doing their part to make a better America
#blacklivesmatter
It's about changing the narrative and normalizing strong smart and proud black female characters.

It's actually not bad.
Moon Girl herself may turn you off, though. She can be irritating, since they're trying to make her actually behave like how a nine-year-old might if she knew for a fact that she's smarter than everyone around her.

But in the context of the greater Marvel universe, yes, she is terrible.

Why do we have to pretend we're le ironic shitposting on Sup Forums here BTW?

I think calling her annoying isn't really fair when it's her being pushed that makes her annoying.

I really believe there to be an almost impossible tightrope for comicbook companies, specifically popular/well known companies to walk. And that is this line between what sells, what actual buyers and readers enjoy. Whether they be long time supporters or new audiences ( I personally don't really think there's is that much difference.) and what media/attention seekers, career complainers, and an honest to god audience that does actually enjoy comics but feel under represented. The latter group doesn't do much really to help or harm direct sales. But they absolutely some affect on merchandising and alternative media (tv and movies). And since even on their best day comic sales won't match up to profits from licensed properties they choose to take a minor hit by continuing to feature characters prominently that are not performing rather than risk a tidal wave of bad press that could actually affect their main source of income.

I'm only half being ironic
Many people legitimately believe that it's the responsibility and duty of art creators to push that narrative

>The thing is, if it were a self-contained all-ages book, there wouldn't even be reason for hate. But they just HAVE to push her in the other books, right?
That's my problem. Like, she pops up EVERYWHERE. And she's just an eyesore with an ugly costume and usually uglier civilian clothes.

It means children are buying into the Marvel Universe at a young age. Marvel likes that.

>movie Waller is thinner, prettier, incompetent, and basically evil
>Bronze Tiger doesn't even show up
Still mad

Marvel are out of touch.

What the fuck?

...I fucking knew you assholes would sink this low. I fucking knew it.

It's an edit

I thought Viola Davis did great work in conveying the character of Waller but yeah, the plot kind of left her looking like a dumbass. And movie aside Waller is kind of evil.

Not like the glorious Wall vs. Granny Goodness was ever a possibility on the big screen though.

>People don't like the Shitty OC character
>Still continues to push it

I wish Moon Girl was actually just a fem version of Moon Knight

>character succeeds in book fairs, but fails in the direct market
>Marvel's response is to awkwardly cram her into more, and more important, books to try forcing the DM audience to love her
Remember when Marvel wasn't run by retards?
Because I don't think I do anymore.

Waller killed more civilians than the villain did in that movie.

Book fairs user, Marvel has a guaranteed buyer that won't go away until the deal is up.

because no one wants to read a story with no conflict, when you're the greatest ever and just shit rainbows people get bored fast

>And movie aside Waller is kind of evil.
What I object to is her murdering people.

>I have not read any Moon Girl comic

The worst thing is that she breaks my immersion in comics completely. Kamala? Miles? I can buy them running around. Even Ironheart I can buy. But the second this little girl with a god awful bright colors appears and has massively poofy hair appears...I just can't buy it. It's like putting Scrappy Doo on the Justice League.

>massively poofy hair

You're actually racist.

>But they just HAVE to push her in the other books, right?
There are two reasons for that, number 1 marketing to get her more known and all that. Number 2 is that Marvel won't let any book stay on its own and is constantly making everyone mix with something else.

I'm sure (((this))) is a genuine post and not a shitpost.

Cancellation threshold hasn't been 20k in over a decade.

Moon Girl is still below it of of course, but don't be retarded.

>(((this)))

Proving my point.

It's racist?

And it's largely at odds with her actual comic, where her attempts at gaining respect are half the point.

Then in other books you've got her saving the mutant race while stopping a superhuman war, giving lectures at some sort of interdimensional(?) college, and now joining a no-shit superhero team.

Until that event stuff she really didn't deal with anything above street level and had Devil Dinosaur backing her.

>kid characters in a non-children's media
never, ever

>non-children's media

>Then in other books you've got her saving the mutant race while stopping a superhuman war, giving lectures at some sort of interdimensional(?) college, and now joining a no-shit superhero team.

This is the biggest problem, she still goes to school and is still treated like a kid in her book. Even after the worlds smartest thing. Everywhere else they play it like she is some big shot. It's like the writers don't consult each other at all.

Is there any data that they use a substantially higher marketing budget for this title compared to other comics?

Her book is written and marketed specifically for children.

Despite claims to the contrary, it's Marvel's ONLY all-ages title that isn't made using screencaps of the cartoons, and it's sales are pretty much what the Marvel Adventures line would pull down on a good day.

if she's so smart why does she draws like an idiot?

Because it's very rare for a trade to do well without the single issues selling well.

It's amazing how shitty most all ages things are at actually being all ages.

A picture of Moon Girl in Scholastic's catalog.

If it does very well I can see marvel trying to do more deals with them.

>draws
,':-^ )

I like Moon Girl. It's cute. It has a dinosaur. Kid Kree shows up. There are boxing gloves on springs a la Inspector Gadget.

Why do you hate fun so much OP? Sure, it sucks that her numbers are low, but it's a fringe comic at best. Attacking the character is just kind of mean.

>she draws

[Spoiler]she's a fem Moon Boy [/spoiler]

>It's like putting Scrappy Doo on the Justice League.
That... that actually sounds like a pretty good description. Well, and for Marvel overall these days.

Not so much number 2. As for number 1, yeah sure, but done completely wrong. Having a little girl with DEVIL DINOSAUR show up to help on occasion sounds like it could be funny. Having the girl show up and one-up the comic's genius and solve the whole problem... yeah, that's far from OK.

Like, it's ok having a cool obscure character or from a minor book show up in one event might win points with the fans. It's part of what made Cosmic Marvel so based a few years ago. But doing it Poochie style? Yeah, that's certain to backfire.

Because that's a skill you have to develop.

Which is something that bothers me about the character..
Since she's the "world's smartest person" she knows everything about everything automatically, when given her age it's pretty much impossible for her to have read all that shit.

I think the decided Squirrel Girl and Hellcat were "all-ages" after the fact to justify keeping such poorly-selling books afloat.

>It's like the writers don't consult each other at all.

it's a problem that's been going on for a long time since Quesada was EIC. It worked under Quesada for a while because a lot of the stories were strong enough (to readers that hadn't read many Marvel comics) to make up for it.

Hold on, 3 issues for $3?

>We need diverse books!

I KNEW IT

>I posted it again, look how edgy I am mom

Book fair stuff often sells cheap.

HOW LONG HAS THAT FUCKING EZPERANZA BOOK BEEN THERE HOLY SHIT ITS BEEN THERE SINCE I WAS IN ELEMENTARY

To say you can't take a black character seriously because she's drawn with nappy hair? Yes.

2011, arguably. Apparently that's when Ike fired Marvel's actual editors. Maybe it was because they were keeping his pet bendis from ruining too much outside his range.

An argument many are making. Basically these days hardcore comic fans buy issues, tell the Internet if they're good or not, then the average fan buys the trades based on their opinions.

Marvel did $3 reprints of 1-3 of a bunch of post secret wars titles under the banner "timely comics"

I wish we could emulate the manga industry, at least the part that makes profit.

I can take Misty Knight seriously. I can take the new black Power Girl seriously. But Moon Girl just looks ridiculous.

me no merica, me far, land of tiger and giant bird, we no white, send help. viva trump

>Apparently that's when Ike fired Marvel's actual editors.

Not really; it's more like he cut the editing staff and put more work on the remaining ones.

>you will never be a kid doing Accelerated Reader to earn good boy points again

I miss those days.

Note that it's a "Marvel Timely Comi-

Dammit, you beat me. I was looking for the press release: news.marvel.com/comics/25800/now_is_your_chance_to_get_three_for_3_comics/
>Marvel is proud to announce TIMELY COMICS, a new publishing initiative, debuting this June! Timely Comics is a new imprint of titles specifically designed to get you caught up with hot new Marvel titles.

>Reprinting the first three issues of select titles at a suggested retail price of $3.00, TIMELY COMICS will take you on a path through the restored Marvel Universe! Whether it’s the formation of the Avengers, Daredevil’s fight for Chinatown, or the birth of the Totally Awesome Hulk, TIMELY COMICS has it all and so much more!

It was back in June 2016 that the comics were reprinted. The Scholastic catalog dates to the vague Fall 2016.

The selling lewd overpriced merchandise to oversexed nerds part?

Honestly the new Power Girl really feels like Chris Priest is giving the finger to Marvel and Moon Girl.

The remaining ones don't do any actual editor job at all.

I'M SO OLD

>the restored Marvel Universe
>restored
Sure, if that's how the wanna call it...

Shcoolastic does that all the time. My niece brought one home that books from when I was a kid. Probably more the reason to keep the deal since They don't appear to ever drop books. Imagine ten years from now Schoolastic is still ordering moongirl.

That we know of. I mean you'd have assumed Millar's Civil War had no editing oversight. But the original pitch was going to have Happy Hogan's kid get killed (and then Brevoort had to point out that Happy and Pepper don't have a kid) and it was gonna stretch out to include Mar-Vell coming back and compared to Christ's resurrection and Hulk returning to Earth with an army of hundreds of children that he spawned from fucking hundreds of alien women while in space.

She's so cute.

>being triggered by kids
>thinking capeshit is for adults

Could you be any more of a manchild?

Having artists and their assistants enslaved?

I thought she appeared when Earth-2 Power Girl was sent back to her home planet, then got disappeared for a while. Is she in an ongoing?

Deathstroke? Is she in Deathstroke now?

Yes, that all sounds like shit, but there were multiple editor offices, so some glorious stuf happened at that time, like Nextwave and Annihilation. Now you just get lots of books contradicting it all and even fewer salvageable stuff.

Yeah, she's been in the last two issues of Deathstroke.

Ye, she's in the Twilight arc

Holy shit, Riri looks like that?!
I want to read her books now!!!

lmao I bought that book myself at the fair one time

Cum.

>Nerds are oversexed

Buddy, you're waaaay off the mark here.

Welcome to Sup Forums. Enjoy your stay!

That's an edit. Post the original.

How many Poochies does Marvel have running around now? America and Lunella both definitely qualify.