GI JOE Films Getting REBOOTED; Will Appeal To Millennials

>The world has changed, and I think you’re going to see G.I. Joe changing with it
>There’s going to be a much more contemporary approach to the whole franchise, and that will allow us to develop different characters

comicbookmovie.com/gi_joe/if-youre-a-millennial-youre-going-to-love-the-upcoming-gi-joe-reboot-apparently-a150276

For what purpose?

>Following Nick Shore's example

They already made GI Joe that appeals to Millennials

It's called Overwatch.

>theyre gonna make Destro the bad guy again

So it will have Cobra doing nothing wrong and fighting against the GI Joe industrial-military complex through guerrilla warfare and mass media?

So what I'm getting is that they're making a movie that's nothing like GI Joe and will appeal to nobody.

>it's a clickbait article
>from a clickbait site
>it's about movies, not comics
>OP posted it once
>he's going to post it again
>he doesn't read comics
>he doesn't read anything but (you)s

GI Joe is Sup Forums related.

And they probably won't even bring her back...she should have been Medusa

War never changes.

Aren't a lot of millennials the target demo of GI Joe anyway? Like half of the millennial generation was born in the 80s.

>Will Appeal To Millennials

Depending on the working definition, I am a millennial

I strongly suspect this will not appeal to me.

Millennials born in the '80s and even early '90s get really angry and personally offended if you say they are millennials.

It's funny everyone who wants to shit on millennials doesn't release that they fall into that category.

Because we're nothing like the rest of the cohort. Some of us grew up without the internet.

Millennial is a vague term. There isn't a real point of cutoff and mostly just means "after Gen X" which itself was a floating point. Baby Boomer is the only one with an actual idea of what it encompasses because post-war population explosion.

Did the last movie even do well enough for a sequel?

No. That is why they didn't make one for a while and are doing another relaunch later. Second attempt at shared universe since the last batch of non-Transformers films flopped.

In the end it's basically going to be either "Do you remember life before the internet?" or "Do you remember life before 9/11"?

People currently in high school or early into their college careers won't count.

So basically anyone older than 1985 is a millennial or older than 1996 is a millennial?
Seems like a large gap.

Retaliation 'was' successful, but it' because they moved the film from June 2012 to March 2013 so it wasn't lost in the summer film glut and there wasn't that much competition during March.

However because of that move it wasn't the Successful Summer Film that Hasbro wanted.

GI Joe: Retaliation did well enough that a sequel was greenlit during it's opening weekend. The 3rd movie has been stuck in development since then, with the occasional vague announcement that something is happening.

The only consistent thing has been the intent to use it to launch a "universe" of Hasbro movies made up of various non-Transformers properties they own.

For a moment I think really you want to reboot a more contemporary version of GI Joe rather than take a shot at Thundercats or He-Man. Then I immediately come to my senses and realize they'd just do the same with them. The Joe movies were already enough of a disappointment. I'm totally willing to sacrifice them for reboot after reboot in order to spare anything else I loved as a child from the treatment this and TMNT got.

I encourage... no, beg. I BEG each and everyone of you to throw your support behind a new Joe franchise so that all the other things we held so dearly may go unmolested. The Joes were soldiers above all else, they would gladly make this sacrifice for their cartoon brothers and the children that idolized them.

GO JOE

My Little JOEny when?

I would argue most people didn't really get into internet before Windows 95 so it's still not that big of a gap.

Probably never since that has the ability to stand on its own.
And a person who used Windows 95 computers would have been born in the late 80s.

Original slogan: YO JOE
New slogan for OMG millennials: YJ

#YoJoe already works for that purpose though

early 90s too would have used it in elementary school

>The lone woman on the team uses a thing that shoots arrows instead of a gun like a sane person.

I wish more women would get offended by this bullshit.

here ill help
Make it a hyper violent jingoistic Pro-American R rated Action Fest.

there...it will be a hit.
the age of PG-13 Nu-Male flicks are dead

At least we got to see a cool live action snake eyes..

I was born in the late 80's and I even remember using Windows 3.1

>it's a clickbait article
Not really when its actually reporting on a true story using quotes from the people its coming from.
>from a clickbait site
Not very clickbaity, especially compared to other sites.
>it's about movies, not comics
GI Joe is Sup Forums.
>OP posted it once
Yup I did.
>he's going to post it again
Why?
>he doesn't read comics
Yes I do.
>he doesn't read anything but (you)s
I read those too.

Happy you were triggered user

All of the Joes have their shitty gimmicks and even then Scarlett still carries guns.

Just like Snake Eyes has swords and rifles and Lady Jaye has Javelins and guns.

Rachel was great, she should have got a solo movie with Snake Eyes as a supporting character.

But Retaliation actually fixed the overly goofy style of the first one and was on the right track. Just do another sequel dammit.

As dumb as Rise of Cobra is, I enjoyed it so goddam much. It was just goofy and over-the-top, just like a GI Joe movie should be. The same cannot be said about Retaliation

Retaliation was more like Larry Hama GI Joe, personally I enjoyed it more than Rise of Cobra.

I'm glad they're taking another crack at it. Hopefully we'll get a good cartoon and fps out of it too.

> Retaliation
> glorious Firefly and President Zartan.
> dat ninja fight on the mountain.
> Storm Shadow and Snake-Eyes teaming up.
> Based Warden.
> extended action cut puts more emphasis on Jinx.
> Literally feels like something Larry Hama wrote.

user I think of Rise as an homage to the cartoon and Retaliation as an homage to Hama's comic run.

But they are literally THE ONLY MILLENIALS.

Teens born in the 00s aren't Millenials, they're the as yet unnamed post-millenial generation.

Because Gen Y sees millenials as refering to Gen Z

I want a sequel along the lines of Retaliation. Have Destro survive the prison explosion and use MARS to declare war on Cobra in retaliation. I'd love to see McCullen reclaim Baroness from the Joes and, to make use of the goofy brainwashing concept from ROC, play on her fragile state of mind to seduce to villainy. She teams up with Destro's forces to get revenge against Cobra Commander for toying with her mind. Meanwhile, the effects of the Cobra Civil War are having harsh ramifications globally and the Joes have to step in to break it up.

Underrated

How? Millenials know nothing of war, hate the military, and praise communism.

Military is popular now.

>I was born in the late 80's and I even remember using Windows 3.1

Yeah i was 83 and i used 3.1 on our shitty 486, no internet though, i'd just play shareware games off floppies

>>There’s going to be a much more contemporary approach to the whole franchise,

Isn't that what the movies already were?

>Millennials born in the '80s and even early '90s get really angry and personally offended if you say they are millennials.

Yeah, because millennials born in the 80s remember a life without internet and cellular phones and have an entirely different frame of reference for current events, and strongly do not want to be associated with the current image of millennials.

Would you, as a rational person, want to be lumped in with a group of free speech hating poorfag narcissists with endless emotional disorders?

>GI JOE Films Getting REBOOTED; Will Appeal To Millennials

OOOH OOH let me get this started:

>Scarlett is now black
>no white protagonists; instead, the villains are white military industrial complex weapons manufacturers
>casting controversy as all the ninjas are played by Chinese actors instead of Japanese ones
>G.I. Joe is a ragtag group of freedom fighters/vigilantes that travel the globe defending peaceful ethnic societies from the predation of the horrible white USA
>Trump parody
>Duke is biracial and gay
>Lady Jaye wears a hijab; is actually trans too

That was based on Gen X idea of what GI Joe should be. Tacticool international peacekeeping force.

Cobra Commander is an American used car salesman that grew rich from capitalism to make an army and Destro is an international arms dealer, both white already. The only difference is that Cobra has reached levels of saturation they have a majority of the political power and brand GI Joe as terrorists and traitors to the American dream.

How about G.I. Joe by Bay?

I am still baffled that Michael Bay hadn't done a G.I.Joe film.

Does anyone else just find GI Joe ridiculous? Like, ridiculous even by 80s cartoon standards.

It's basically Transformers, only replacing the transforming robots with humans. Cobra is the Decepticons, the Joes are the Autobots. Duke is Optimus Prime, Cobra Commander is Megatron.

The difference is that the Joes break our suspension of disbelief in a way the Transformers don't, precisely because the Joes are human. Giant transforming robots are already so ridiculous that if we accept them, we accept all the ridiculousness attached to them. So we totally accept that these robots have names like Hound, Huffer, Bumblebee, and Mirage. We accept that they have special powers. We accept they'll do shit like get drunk on magical glowing gasoline liquor and play basketball. They're so ridiculous at their very outset that we're willing to buy in to everything that follows.

But the Joes don't get this pass precisely because they're human. I mean, who the fuck ever heard of a guy called Dirtbike? What fucking woman would ever actually refer to herself as Baroness? And they have these special powers, too, but it's totally weird because we all know real soldiers don't have any special powers beyond shooting and raping and pillaging.

This is the whole reason Transformers survived the 80s and GI Joe didn't. You just can't accept that regular humans would be anywhere near this ridiculous, at least not without costumes and superpowers.

He almost did but Transformers was seen as the better option after the War in Iraq.

Thanks Bush!

>I mean, who the fuck ever heard of a guy called Dirtbike? What fucking woman would ever actually refer to herself as Baroness?

Of all the things to complain about?

>Will Appeal To Millennials

Awesome. GI Joe , a real globalist hero

my negro.

although I'm from 87

Why are women always archers as if it's something easy to do? You ever tried firing arrow after arrow, shit starts to hurt man

Guys smash, girls shoot

A bunch of old Hollywood man paying overpriced "style" consultants to direct a movie to appeal to a demographic that is already one demographic younger from a demographic they already didn't understand when said prior demographic was young?

This should be fucking good.

Can you imagine being a consultant in Hollywood? It's probably really hard to establish yourself, but if you can you essentially get paid six or seven figures to spew bullshit. Just imagine it.

For both cases, aren't those supposed to be codenames/call signs/whatever?

Besides Megatron and Optimus of the main cast, I thought their names were English translated conventions of their actual digital/computer names designed to convey their general powersets/personality. So the big tough guy who can take a lot of hits is Ironhide and the small, fast, yellow, and sharp scout is Bumblebee? Soundwave is the spy/tech guy while Starscream is fast and loud.

I don't have to, I've actually seen someone do something similar.
Not precisely six figures, but he got paid a lot to just walk around and talk out of his ass while sounding confident.

You're right on the second bit, and that's another reason why it works for Transformers but doesn't work for GI Joe. You can totally just handwave it and say that all the Transformers' ridiculous names are translations from Cybertronian.

You COULD justify it in GI Joe by saying they're codenames or callsigns, but when do we ever hear any of the Joes' "real" names? The goofy names ARE their real names.

Scarlett uses a crossbow, not a longbow, so there is no physicality or athleticism to it.

Shooting a crossbow requires no more strength or stamina than it does to shoot a pistol.

You are on Sup Forums, you think you aren't a narcissist poorfag with emotional disorder?

And to add to that, Optimus and Megs really get their names from the same source. Megatron is just named after Megatronus Prime (aka The Fallen aka the Judas of the original Primes) while Optimus is just a reincarnation of the original Optimus who was the youngest of the original 13.

It's the same fucking issue as origins of races in Warcraft. They all stem from the same source (The Titans, or Primus's functional names) even if there are multiple levels of separation from the source.

So The Titans create the Titan Keepers. Mimiron the Titan Keepers creates the goblins. Hobart the goblin creates the gilgoblin.

Or Aggramar the Titan creates Grond. Grond falls apart into the Breakers. The Breakers fall apart into magnaron. Magnaron are infected by Sporemound spores and devolve into gronn. Gronn devolve into oggron. Oggron devolve into ogres. Ogres devolve into orcs.

Nothing is original, everything is derivative of the same few core ideas combined and recombined endlessly together.

>when do we ever hear any of the Joes' "real" names?

The filecards.
Moderately frequently in the comics.

>What fucking woman would ever actually refer to herself as Baroness?

She's an actual baroness, you nitpicking bastard.

I'm born 1989, being a millenia is the worst because those stereotypes are so true and it's so damn hard to find girls to date that don't have those shitty opinions.

so the joes are going to tell Cobra to check their privilege, and then march in protest against the president while wearing a pink vagina hat?

No one knows. Mysterious dynamics, especially if it is people in their 50s trying to be like their college days

I can tell you know shit about GI Joe.

>Awesome. GI Joe , a real globalist hero

They already did it, it's called Action Force.

Because Millennial has come to mean "anyone younger than me that causes all the problems in the world."

All I want is for Cobra Commander to be a cool guy.

He probably wont.

I liked him in Retaliation, even though he was clearly overshadowed by Ray Stevenson and whatever the fuck Johnathan Pryce thought he was doing in that movie.

JGL in Rise of Cobra was straight up Jeremy Irons in Dungeons & Dragons levels of not giving a single fuck. It's a terrible performance, but I can't say I disliked it.

But those people already were those. The world went to shit in the 80s.

most likely correct

He didn't really have enough time to shine.

the problem with the Movies was the literal production hell they both were with the writers strike affecting RoC (I still say the first two thirds of the movie is live action Sunbow) and Paramount pulling Retaliation for seven months because Avengers broke Hollywood. hopefully this time we will get the Joe film we deserve through and through with no bright idea fairies whispering in Hasbro/Paramounts ears.

as for the dreaded Millennials tag the only people I see complaining are the same people who don't want Joe to grow beyond the 80's they hated Renegades, Sigma Six Valor vs Venom and so on and so on until you devolve to the pre- 1986 roster and thats the only Joe they like Let joe grow. Revolution might not have been perfect but it showed that joe can work out of the call of duty generic Military thriller that it became, Joe works best when it's a mix of military,Pulp and Sci-fi get that and you'll have something great.

Military groups use callsigns/Codenames in the field especially if they are doing Wetwork black operation stuff.

>Back when Rise of Cobra came out
>Apparently the only one of my friends that actually enjoyed the movie for the dumb fun that it was

Ah, I remember buying one of the action figures as a guilty pleasure. Helix or something, she had a HK G11 but it was kinda shit because the guns and knives barely fit in the hands anyway.

>a real globalist hero

Get with the times, that was already the premise of Rise of Cobra.

Lets try to market a movie about a top secret military black ops squad with virtually no accountability to the American people or government oversite to millennials

What could possibly go wrong

this is the only G.I. Joe related pic I have

>Lets try to market a movie about a top secret military black ops squad with virtually no accountability to the American people or government oversite to millennials

Reminds me of all those reviews when Splinter Cell Blacklist came out.

>It's kind of hard to sell a group of black-ops superkillers who have an invisible plane, answer to nobody and go around murdering whoever they want under the auspices of the US Government and otturing in the name of freedom as heroes now

>an all-American hero hell bent on defending his country and God
>lives by a code
>upholds American values
Nothing about GI Joe appeals to millennials. The very nature of his character is anti-millennial. They are going to totally ruin this.

>"The world has changed, and I think you’re going to see G.I. Joe changing with it," explained Simon Waters, head of Hasbro Studios Consumer Products in a recent interview with The Los Angeles Times. "There’s going to be a much more contemporary approach to the whole franchise, and that will allow us to develop different characters."
>"We hope to create a head snap. It’s a different kind of ‘Joe’ — one that still resonates with ‘Joe’ fans but brings in an uninitiated audience and expands the audience internationally and domestically," added Hasbro CCO Steve Davis in the same interview.
So it's literally just stock "we're changing with the times" corporate speak, but the author and OP both wanted clickbait. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if OP *is* the author of the article looking for outrage clicks.

Shit, revamping the franchise is exactly what ARAH did in the 80s anyway. Ya'll motherfuckers don't even remember 12" Joe.

>>an all-American hero hell bent on defending his country and God
Ah yes, I forgot the moving scene where Snake Eyes goes to church... wait no I don't, because you're full of shit.

I hope you're just trying to get some (you)s.

So they're going to repeat the same mistakes from the first movie, rather than play it straight military action with goofy over the top plotlines, like it's supposed to.

Seriously. How illiterate is the average 4channer now that we're bitching about actual fucking titles?

>The 3rd movie has been stuck in development since then, with the occasional vague announcement that something is happening.

probably because they don't have the budget to get the rock or bruce willis back.

>rather than play it straight military action with goofy over the top plotlines, like it's supposed to.

i still say that the expendables movies were better GI joe movies than the actual GI joe movies because of this

the A-team movie also does this pretty well too.

>>Scarlett is now black
Better than GETTING Blacked; like she did in the first film. desu.

>What fucking woman would ever actually refer to herself as Baroness?
This is true. Also they'd never call themselves "Queen" or image related. THAT WOULD BE UN-POSSIBLE!

Never been much of a GI Joe fan since I was born in the 90's and all but the first movie was pretty enjoyable in a dumb way. It needed more moments of absurdity, when it knew it was just being stupid as fuck. Never saw the sequel though.

I hope this will be like that but dialed up to 11 but they'll probably just make it GI Joe: Call of Duty Edition.

Buzzfeed recently did a video on the different generations which brought the idea of "Generation Z" to nearly two million people's attention (if you read the comments on that video, you'll find many people born in 98-99 surprised to discover they're not Millennials, or that there's a generation after Millennials at all). The video used 1998-2010 which is a rather unusual and lopsided definition, but a definition nonetheless.

Since the simple-minded masses consume Buzzfeed in large quantities, I think more and more normies are realizing lately that Millennials aren't kids or teens anymore. Heck if you look at the Wikipedia pageviews, you'll see the Gen Z page had its hugest spike ever just recently, after that video was made. Plus the video has 2 million views.

So, expect "Gen Z" to (correctly) replace "Millennial" as the go-to insult for teens soon.