Why is he such an unrelatable, uninteresting and generally awful character

Why is he such an unrelatable, uninteresting and generally awful character.
What was the purpose of him outside of 'Murh there is always a good guy who'll save the day'.

Literally what?
Talk about a fucking ego trip.

Get off the internet Lex.

People like seeing good people do good, Marvel.

Most modern writers are just dumb, that's a problem. They grew up on comics and cartoons only, so the only influences they have are comics, older generations were into Sci fi and actual literature so the range of things they had was bigger, superman during the silver age was a entablishment figure but there was a lot of interesting things to do with the character, but he became a full foster father for the readers during the 90, that limitated what you could do with him, it doesn't help that people like Waid or Johns want him to be the most powerful guy in the planet and diminish captain atom or captain marvel, so you get fans that wants superman to be their daddy, writers that are really limitated and a editorial that just wants to protect their status quo.

What is so unrelatable about him?Is it the powers thrust on him in adolescents?Small town background?Hokey small town moral?Be specific OP

>people taking this bait
What the fuck

Lover of both general Superman & The Dceu incarnation of him.
Fuck off OP!

Welcome to nu/co/

How shitty have young people become that they hate Superman?

>Why is he such an unrelatable
found the 12 yr old

sucking all the weirdness out of superman and his world ruined the character

He's a god who could destroy planets at will but instead he sees himself as a regular guy who's just trying to do the best he can to help other with what life has given.

He's more human than a lot of people that I know.

Love Superman thread?

Also, does somebody know where this is from?

Thanks

I disagree, I think his selfless nature makes him less human.
However, I think that's a good thing.

>The human rights activist Stetson Kennedy infiltrated the KKK and other racist/terrorist groups. Concerned that the organization had links to the government and police forces, Kennedy decided to use his findings to strike at the Klan in a different way. He contacted the Superman producers and proposed a story where the superhero battles the Klan. Looking for new villains, the producers eagerly agreed. To that end, he provided information—including secret codewords and details of Klan rituals—to the writers. The result was a series of episodes, “Clan of the Fiery Cross,” in which Superman took on the Klan. Kennedy intended to strip away the Klan's mystique. The trivialization of the Klan's rituals and codewords had a negative impact on Klan recruiting and membership.[3]

>Reportedly, Klan leaders denounced the show and called for a boycott of Kellogg's products. However, the story arc earned spectacular ratings, and the food company stood by its support of the show.

Yeah you can use fiction to fuck with idiots irl.

>Batman tries his damn hardest to scare people
>Superman tries his hardest not to
I always loved this

I don't think he's completly selfless, if he was he would have never married or he would always be Superman, but I see your point.

>Superman practically destroyed The Klan

Still one of the greatest things to ever happen.

>unrelatable, uninteresting and generally awful character.

Sells better than Iron Man
Sells Better than Captain America
Sells better than Wolverine
Sells better than all X-Men
Sells better than all Inhumans

So, he is less unrelatable, uninteresting and awful than all those, I suppose.

But he isn't any of those things.
First post best post.

What Issue is this from?

Superman confirmed bro.

That's what I'm asking. I saw it in another thread but no references.

Fuck off Lex

Just the usual edgy teen troll who thinks their so clever for thinking this

u-unatco?

Fuck off, retard. Go complain to your mom about using thalidomide, instead of wasting our fucking time.

This, tbqh.

FPBP

That's a terrible comic. Such a stupid moment.

That's a really dumb speech, but I understand why murrikans may believe it's good

Speech is very well said. What about it is dumb, foreigner?

I'll bite.
Superman is written poorly because his character archetype is from a by gone era and very few writers know how to adapt his character for a newer audience. They do shit like try to make him darker, or give him more relationship issues, or more bad guys to fight.
Superman has always been at his best when he has an internal conflict. He's an alien, an adopted child, a fake as he has two identities to balance, has to act like a wimp in his day to day, is a savior but can't bask in that glory, is loved, is hated, if you can't work with that as a writer then fucking hell.
user here has a point too.
I think too many writers focus too much on his powers and iconic status. And most of the time they go about it the wrong way.

Well, that's like your opinion, man.

Can you tell me the issue?

>Superman is written poorly because his character archetype is from a by gone era

Now? There's nothing about his personality that isn't perfectly applicable to our time. He's a man who isn't human but has grown up as part of humanity. He's thoroughly kind and virtuous and represents what everyone should aspire to be.

The ideal man. Power without corruption. I think that's broad enough to work, no matter the context.

>He's thoroughly kind and virtuous and represents what everyone should aspire to be.
>The ideal man. Power without corruption.
Sadly many people seem to hate this type of character and feel this overwhelming urge to corrupt characters like that.
In their eyes it's unrealistic that a man with near godly powers would be so benevolent that he wouldn't be tempted to be a piece of shit.
One of my favorite moments is a side of Superman that is to my memory never explored in comic. In Justice League Unlimited when he gives the "I live in a world made of Cardboard." speech. Superman has to restrain himself constantly and I'm sure this involves mental constraint.
To keep Superman a strong just person but show that he has struggles too would be a great way to keep his original characteristics in a modern take.

>He's thoroughly kind and virtuous and represents what everyone should aspire to be.
>The ideal man. Power without corruption.
>Sadly many people seem to hate this type of character and feel this overwhelming urge to corrupt characters like that.

This, to a very great degree. Regardless of political bent these days, from SJW to Sup Forums to whoever...everyone wants to hang on to their grudges. They feel justified in hating everyone else, because they feel like everyone else has screwed them over.

And then you have Sups show up, with all his god like powers and the ability to right every grudge against him with almost no effort and...he doesn't. He just smiles, forgives, stops people from doing the worst harms, and says "guys, it's okay. I lost everything, but it's not about what you lose. It's about what you become after losing everything. You can be a great person regardless of what's happened to you, just by being a great person."

And I think that's kind of a slap in the face to a lot of people. Because they know, if they had the power, they'd wreck the hell out of everyone they even felt miffed about. And they hate everyone above them "for being assholes who destroy us" even as they know they would do the exact same stuff.

I suppose that's one of the reasons after a lot of years I'm actually starting to like Superman as a character. Because he shows you don't have to be an asshole, no matter what you've suffered. You can still be a cool dude who doesn't afraid of nothin, and treats people right.

that's what i always loved about superman, i think once he evolved past his golden age self, he became the ideal person (when written well), he's not completely selfless, but as selfless as one can healthily be, he's kind but confident, just, brave, tireless. in a good story, his conflict is usually more philosophical, about whether mankind should follow his ideals as the ideal, or if his standards are actually harmful. lex is a great counter in this regards, he is actually human, and almost as great a man, but in a completely different way. lex is sort of like what america is now, as opposed to superman and what america claimed to be circa-early cold war.