ITT: Adaptations of Sup Forums characters that actually IMPROVED the original

ITT: Adaptations of Sup Forums characters that actually IMPROVED the original.

Pic very much related. One of the more forgettable Spider-Man villains became one of the best iterations of any of Pete's rogues in "Spectacular."

youtube.com/watch?v=uC9C7VS4tYE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OYt78FWfa5M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This cartoon-watching faggot shit hasn't read Conway's Spectacular/Web of

Obligatory

Tombstone was always a badass, OP. What are you talking about?

That's because they combined him with Kingpin.

The show just took him a step further. He went from a decent, threatening enforcer to a threatening mob boss.

Also, my contribution.

>Getting this asshurt about Tombstone

Seriously. No one on Sup Forums has ever given a fuck about him, stop pretending like you suddenly care now.

One good thing the current batgirl run has done is make that character design canon

Too bad they made her a joke villain, just like most of the obscure villains they keep bringing up. At least Injustice and Lego Batman are also using it.

Pic related: another contribution.

Toyman and Clock King in the DCAU.

what does a characters popularity have to do with someone being correct about a character or not?

some of us read comics and aren't underage and remember good runs with tombstone in them. it is irrelevant whether we care about tombstone or not. stop being pissy that youre 12 and you know fuck all.

Actually this was pretty much exactly how Tombstone was in the original comics, up to an including his abnormal speed and reflexes despite having skin like concrete and weighing a shitload.
The only difference is that he sounded like Keith David and therefore had an amazing sonorous voice while the comics Tombstone was very quite and could barely speak above a whisper. Everything else was pretty much identical.

>Gay faggot Penguin
>improvement

He STARTED as a crime boss though?
Do you not actually read comics?

>just bitch slaps Spider-Man off of his desk

What's funny about Sportsmaster is that he was basically classic Deathstroke in personality; an intelligent villain with a strong sense of professional pride who worked as a mercenary for the current antagonist nebulous evil group who wasn't afraid to mix it up with the heroes despite being weaker then many of them who had a really fucked up relationship with his family and kids.

It really did kinda drive the idea home that YJ was just NTT using YJ comics characters and inspired by a few YJ storylines.

don't have a picture of them, but definitely the HIVE 5 from Teen Titans, they're pretty much superior to the Fearsome 5 from the comics in every way, especially an aesthetics one(I'm still amazed they haven't retconned Jinx to have her cartoon appearance instead of her amazingly awful original design)

Pretty much all the villains in this show

>SPIIIIDER-WUUUUUUUSS!

That is the best version of the Mandarin IMO.

It's fucking baffling. I think Jinx could reach near Harley levels of popularity if they actually incorporated the TT look in to her design. People still fucking love her in that while barely anyone knows what she is like in comics.

Well, all of Ironman's rogues atleast.

>Literally the only good thing about Gotham

Doom was pretty cool as well. It was fun seeing him when he isn't driven by his hateboner for Reed for once.

only reason I can think of is that one of the higher ups at DC actually likes that terrible design

It made me sad that they made MODOK job so hard after starting out as a formidable threat.

>we will never get to see smug asian Mandarin in the MCU
>Mandarin will never look that badass again

I love how he was both a Parallel and an opposite to Tony.

does this count

I kinda like the way Toy Man looked in Super Friends.

>Became a sniveling, spineless faggot
>Good

kek

>ITT: Adaptations of Sup Forums characters that actually IMPROVED the original.

You called?

Not quite an accomplishment, because it was only a step above the comic and the comic was shit.

I love how they somehow made a lot of villains more interesting than Iron Man himself

Didn't they basically turn him into Mr. Negative/Kingpin?

Agent Mallen was fun

Yeah, they couldn't use Kingpin for some reason.

Does pretty much EVERY SINGLE Teen Titans character qualify, or am I forgetting something?

Beast boy. Everything about him was trash, and to make it worse, they decided to give everyone his annoying personality in Go!.

I don't agree about BB. Maybe because I really like the trope of the comic relief suddenly becoming serious when the chips are down.
I'm talking minor characters too, by the way.

A lot of things, yes.
But there isn't a point to informing you, because by making this statement your mind is already made up.

>The best Shredder is a tiny pink alien
The absolute madmen.

Seriously? I had written off this show because I had no interest in watching high school CGI Tony Stark. Is it any good?

Wasn't Peter Laird working on 2k3? Does it count when the creator did it?

It's still an adaptation based on but deviating from the original Shredder, I say it counts.

This may have been the first time either of these characters felt like actual characters.

If I'm making this statement, it probably means I'm curious to hear other opinions, and why I might be wrong. Not everyone is as closed-minded as you.

Don't deny it. He was the biggest superhero villain since Kneel Before Zod for a reason.

I disagree because eye dee dub but I won't say you're wrong

Man, I doubt any future Spider-Man show will have crime bosses/mob bosses anymore...

Hey, you never know.

Apocalypse
youtube.com/watch?v=OYt78FWfa5M

How is he like Mr. Negative?

Though I think Weisman had plans for introducing another mob boss down the line. He said he would've liked to have used Kingpin if they gained the rights and mentioned he liked Mr. Negative back when the show was running.

OK that is bullshit and you know it.

>for a reason
His actor died and everyone started sucking his dick despite him being a generic middling villain?

Obligatory

I can't say for sure if this is true since I haven't read the Teen Titans comics, but Robin in this show really bothered me.

>Season 1 is about Robin learning that he's being an overly obsessive person to the point of driving away his team.
>This culminates in him getting separated from the team and forced to be a villain in the season finale.
>He learns his lesson.
>Except not really, because he's right back to the same shit in Haunted.
>And pretty much any other time Slade shows up.
>And also in the movie where he "beats Saico-Tek to death".

DeVito's Penguin was good, but not better than the comics. He was just kinda evil and unpleasant.

Pretty much everything about it is better than the actual comic

Easily the best part of the movie

For real. USM had to use Spider-Man Noir just to give us Hammerhead, Mr. Negative, and Joe Fixit.

Oh fuck you. Skinny Cobblepot always sucks

What character did that movie make better?
It made a lot of them worse with the character development, and backstories, cut out.

Pretty much ANY version of Electro.
Yes, even TASM 2 one is better than the comics version.
The only time Electro has ever been good as a character was in MC2.

What about his portion of The Gauntlet? Rhino was GOAT in that arc too

He was far from just evil and unpleasant.
And at the time, not only was he better than comics Penguin, but this version redefined the entire character.
Batman Returns did to The Penguin what Batman TAS did to Mr.Freeze.

Did it really? Burton Copplebot acted more like Killer Croc. Besides, Peguin Pain and Prejudice is perhaps one of my favorite Copplepot stories

seconded. it's actually upsetting how much better it is. I'm also mad that they cut the angelus from the first game.

The show varies a LOT in quality, but holy fuck are the villains great. Talk about doing a lot with very little.

SSSSHHHHHHH

>generic middling villain?
heh, you mean the Joker?

So how is being the same piece of shit an improvement in any way, then?

Yes. Pain and Prejudice only exists because of Burton's Penguin. Allow me to explain.
Most of the elements of Penguin's modern characterizations come from his portrayal in the movie.
Penguin had always struggled to be little more than a goofy James Bond villain with a penguin motif.

Burton's Penguin wasn't just The Penguin, he was a weird hybrid of Richard III + Penguin + Killer Croc who looked like the jewish bastard child of Dr.Caligari and Nosferatu. And in turn, defining The Penguin's more distinct traits as a character and gave a solution to the problem "how do we make a short fat guy in a tuxedo intimidating or interesting"
From Batman TAS to Gotham's Penguin, every iteration post-1992 owes something to this version of the character. Some of The Penguin's best stories like Odds Agaisnt or even Pain and Prejudice take from this movie.

You can dislike this version if you want, and I agree it is far too brutish and disgusting (which is why later versions of the character merged this version with the character's class and intellect), but it was extremely important in defining The Penguin.

He's a decent Penguin desu. The only good about Gotham.
They get plenty of aspects of the character right like his relationship with his mother, his sniveling cowardice and his ambition. The actor himself isn't even bad (which I can't say for the rest of the actors in that show).
And some of the changes made to the character are fitting. I like that they made him look like Cesare, which fits since Burton's Penguin was a reference to Dr.Caligari, and they found other ways to deform him and make him disgusting, while making it clear he will balloon up in the future.
Really, they made a half-decent attempt to reinterpret The Penguin and I can appreciate that.
But the show is shit and I would not watch it again.

They made the Iron Man villains interesting. There's actual differences in armor if I remember right. Like Crimson Dynamo, his armor was mean for going into space and it's the most durable, Iron Monger is a huge fucking mech that's too complicated for it's own good, Titanium Man can fuck shit up with weapons but overheats and isn't energy efficient. That's just the surface stuff that I liked but Justin Hammer was entertaining, them adapting a kid friendly Extremis storyline was fun, and they actually made Mandarin a cool villain.

Speaking of this show, I liked what they did with Cypher. The glowing tentacles are kind of impractical and don't really make sense in terms of physics, but I love the idea of mind-controlling people like marionettes.

THIS.

Depends on whether the issue is with the execution, performance, or the way the character is written. It stood out among capeshit villains for people. The tragic part of his death was people wanted more Ledger Joker, it wasn't just sympathy. I know this stuff is subjective, but I feel like most of the criticisms on this Joker at this point constantly shoves in his death too. Why can't people just have wrong or different opinions with his death being a meaningless factor on the character? It's always a packaged deal.

I just don't understand what people see in him at all.
The execution was nothing to write home about and you can hardly call that a character. Performance is good, but it doesn't make a character.

Burtonverse Penguin honestly had more in common with Killer Croc than with the comics version of Penguin(kinda like how Schumaker Bane is more like Blockbuster than comics Bane)

dunno about the first game, but The Darkness 2 was an excellent game

The entire Sportsfamily revamp was great.

Stop being a tryhard faggot.

Waiting for his return.

The Big Man was going to be a thing.

This sounds like the opinion of someone who was a young child when TDK came out.

The first game allowed you to watch the entirety of To Kill a Mockingbird with your gf, was pretty comfy desu

I'll be honest with you, the only post OMD Spider-Man comic I picked up was Fever.

I'm that butthurt.

How so?

Teen Titans' Deathstroke was pretty terrible beyond Ron Perlman voicing him. I hated how they gave him robot henchman for no apparent reason.

Tombstone is the Big Man.

UUUU

> cool black guy, even voiced by same guy: Cyborg/Aqualad
> hot alien girl falls for most team badass of team
> team badass: Superboy/Robin
> jokester: Beast Boy/Flash. Hell BB even shows up in YJ
> attitude girl: Raven/Artemis

And they added a team nerd in the form of Robin in YJ

...fuck.

This (especially Fred)

No. It was a butchered version of the books that fails to grasp what made the characters likable (Or at least interesting to read) to begin with. Making it before the last book was a fucking mistake

There's something poetic about Superman having to constantly fight the last remnant of Kyptonian society.
Much better than random alien hooked up to a ship because reasons.