Is 52 worth reading if I'm not well versed in DC?

Is 52 worth reading if I'm not well versed in DC?

No.

Yes. If you don’t who a character is, look them up on Google or something. 52 is one of the best series to read if you want to see more of the peripheral characters of the DCU.

Yeah it was one of the first things I read. You just need to know that Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are not active heroes for various reasons so it's about other heroes picking up that slack.

The Bat-Family had some nice stories, Flash was nice, I heard Green Latern was good, Everything else was kinda eh though.

its DC C list saves the world

its great.

Yeah sure. You're probably a smart enough kid to pick up everything you need to know. Reading 52 is certainly a better use of your time than reading Sup Forums.

We're not talking about the new 52, that was a relaunch. 52 is a 52 issue limited series, completely different thing.

Meh, not really. And even then it's not as great as people say.

52 is how you get versed in DC

God I wish the library up here had it.

This.
If you go in with no expectations it's probably great, but Sup Forums hyped it up too much for me.

Can someon post the "DC welcome to the fun place" drawing?

this

How do I know you two are Ewingfags?

OP, go read 52, is really good.

I don't like Ewing at all. If anything Ewingfags would love it because it's got little substance.

I think you should read Infinite Crisis first.

This is less accessible and not really necessary. The specific details that are relevant get recapped.

Yes. I read it when I was pretty new and didn't really know who most of the characters were but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

There's a big difference in reading the pay off of a past run and reading a pay off to a run you've never read but are accustomed with because of characters recapping events.

While reading IC probably helps, it's kinda a hassle and not really worth it.

OPTIONAL
>Infinite Crisis

RELEVANT TO THE STORYLINE BUT BAD/MEDIOCRE
>Identity Crisis
>Rann/Thanagar War

RELEVANT TO THE STORYLINE AND GOOD
>Gotham Central
>Countdown to Infinite Crisis

RELEVANT TO THE CHARACTERS
>The Question by Denny O'Neil
>Animal Man by Grant Morrison
>Justice League International/Europe/America/that whole business

but you can pretty much just jump into it and go back to all the other stuff, it's largely self-contained

>>Identity Crisis
I'd really put IC down at mediocre at WORST.
That book has most retarded cult of hate around it.

Brad, it's time to get off the internet. Your book is trash

fuck off powerlevel babby

Brad plz

I'm speaking from experience. Understood 52 fine then went back for IC I gave up on it.

>gave up on it

dumbphoneposter

>MARRIED COUPLE PRANK GONE WRONG (GONE SEXUAL)

It'd probably help, but at that point, you may as well ask him to be reading COIE as well.

Exactly. It's good if you're not a braindead meme spewing reductionist.

I could probably understand it now that I have more context (haven't made the time yet), but it wasn't easy when I was new.

No.
U.

>that pic
People have done worse because they weren't loved.
*cough*Goebbels*cough*

52 was straight up my introduction to DC comics
it's pretty good since most of the presumed knowledge is stuff you'd have picked up from the cartoons and movies, and the whole premise is 'the trinity is missing, now who the fuck are these assholes?'

Yes, I overall know almost nothing about DC as far as Crisis shit and other minutia goes but I'm actually reading it right now on about issue 16 and its really great

Just make sure you download a torrent version with the notes so you can read the commentary for every issue, thats a good 1/3 the fun of this whole thing

>omnibus didn't have the commentary
still mad

the new thick 2 vol tpb's dont either.... its annoying as shit.

What I've done is downloaded the 4 vol trades by torrent and pulled out all the note pages and printed them off and put them in a binder folder thingy, 52 with out the notes isn't nearly the same, the rest of the backups be damned.

Yeah and no, you get a lot more out of it if you are familiar with the characters and at least with Infinite Crisis, but as a story is pretty good on its own.

>52 is how you get versed in DC
This.
Start reading and looking up notes on it as you go along for the characters you aren't familiar with and by the end of it, you'll love it and have a better familiarity with the DC universe than 90% of Sup Forums does

This, there's nothing wrong with identity crisis with the exception of the captain boomerang stuff which served no purpose to the overall story and would have been better used somewhere else.

It is a fantastic story but it does continue from heavy continuity.

You COULD read it, pick up enough to figure out "oh this person is having trouble and isn't like this anymore" or "oh this person they're talking about is dead".
Really most cape comics are like Fantasy Novels. They're gonna throw names and characters and lore at you and you're just gonna roll with the punches and pick up from context clues their significance.

If you WANTED to have a better idea of the situation that leads up to 52 you would at least read:
Identity Crisis, OMAC Project, Villains United, Day of Vengeance, and possibly Powergirl (and a vague knowledge of the Crisis of Infinite Earths)
Then you'd read INFINITE CRISIS, which from that leads into 52.

Why did Jean bring weapons like a fucking flamethrower "just in case"?

What kind of answer are you looking for?

Is it because she's insane?