"Old Hollywood" references in cartoons (and comics if they used them)

>get home from school to watch tv
>it's a dated celebrities and memes of the era cartoon
>completely lost on all of these
>years later, actually see some of the shows and movies with said celebrities in them
>still can't catch half of the jokes though due to them coming from supplementary things like game shows, radio shows, and other outside sources of gags

Feels kind of bad, man, maybe? I dunno.
Anyways...

How did the rest of you feel about these cartoons when you -FIRST- saw them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FsCMdvaCrlw
youtube.com/watch?v=7RQDAcoiHPk
youtube.com/watch?v=lI5VwOXtC2I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fucking awesome

i was like 9 and they were shooting guns, smoking cigars, and drinking martinis in tuxedos.

"AH SHADDUP, YA OL CRAB!"

As a kid I was confused about some, but still laughed because I was an idiot kid and the chariactures were exaggerated enough to be funny, and really, these were cartoons that at the time were made for adults, the only thing really young kids laughed at was the exaggerated motion and such

As an adult, I have watched a lot of classic movies, listened to a lot of classic music, and just in general know a lot about American pop culture so I actually get the references

Isn't it strange? Pre-internet memes

Humphrey Bogart getting hit with a pie is much funnier in my adulthood.

People will be making threads about Animaniacs and all their dated 90's references soon enough

i always sort of thought of them as memes. it's like oh there's that guy again.. i know his .. thing.

>NOT getting the references

Jeez, did you not have Turner Classic Movies as a kid?

They already do, likely OP is one of them

The only things of any note my uncle had were old spaggetti western tapes and a copy of the titanic hidden under his bed that was actually just the titanic for some reason.

Dat Nurse, tho'.

Okay Sup Forums, guess the reference!

youtube.com/watch?v=FsCMdvaCrlw

>Leopold!
>Leopold?
>Leopold...
>Leopold!

I pity you and your boring childhood.

For some reason Hollywood Squares jokes always make me laugh.

>None Greater

Why have 90s references aged like milk while golden age of cartoons references are still great? The lack of irony?

I definitely encountered Looney Tunes' caricatures of Peter Lorre before I knew who Peter Lorre was.

As a little kid I think I thought he was just a creepy design they liked to reuse for weirdos and mad scientist characters.

They really liked Peter Lorre for a while.

Too recent in your memory. When you were watching Looney Tunes shit as a kid, most of the references were several decades old.

It's especially funny since Pete Lorre really did way more noir/drama/suspense stuff than outright horror.

Like, I expected to see him in stuff with castles and bats and draculas the way he was shown in these cartoons, but his most well-known work is stuff like The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca; like, he just played wormy slimeballs. It'd be like if modern cartoons used a caricature of Steve Buscemi whenever they needed a creepy Igor-type.

>Why have 90s references aged like milk
Because the 17-22 year olds who bitch about Animaniacs that you have learned to hivemind with actually never saw Looney Tunes, so they couldn't bitch about it

>It'd be like if modern cartoons used a caricature of Steve Buscemi whenever they needed a creepy Igor-type.
"How do you do, fellow servants?"

Kinda related - whenever there's a conductor or similarly dressed person in a cartoon, they usually have the front of their shirt roll up and smack them in the face.

I never got this as a kid, but it's appereantly a old vaudeville sketch based on something called a "dickey", which was a kinda lazy/cheap way to look properly dressed, but in reality was just a cheap piece of cardboard. Of course, this all flew over my head as a kid.

youtube.com/watch?v=7RQDAcoiHPk

Kinda crazy, because I'd figure the blazer would be the expensive thing, not the dress shirt under it.

venture bros makes a similar joke

I didn't know who that guy was, but Elmer's reaction made it funny, so was the machine guy he got out of his pocket. Then the guy gets hit with a pie. It was funny.
All i am saying is that you can make a reference and make it funny even for those who don't know about it.

I give up. You'll have to explain this one to me.

As an insomniac, I'd seen plenty of old black and white movies at 3AM when I was a kid, so when I first saw that cartoon (if it's the one I think it is) I actually knew who most of them were.
Except for that one guy sitting next to an invisible man, who looks at the camera and says "GUESS WHO!" followed by something that sounded like "YA WOODY!".
I asked my mother, we took the tape to my grandfather (a WWII vet, but a chaplain not an actual fighter) and he didn't know.

Two decades later, a rewatch of The Blues Brothers made me get into Cab Calloway. About the hundredth time I heard the song "Who's Yehoodi?" I finally realized the connection.

I used to think the "joke/s" were just those characters having funny looking designs.

>be kid
>could either watch cartoons or old black and white movies that, compared to more modern movies at least, are generally slow paced

Not saying those older movies are bad or anything, far from it. Just what would you expect a kid to watch? Kids are dumb.

youtube.com/watch?v=lI5VwOXtC2I

The Liberace brothers

A DICKEY?!

Lol that mental image is so great, wish it could happen

They do apparently still make them.

It was a time of deepest lorre.

Liberace?

This was my exact experience with Peter Lorre. I had a similar sort of misconception with Jerry Lewis- I thought that manner of speech, with the "hoyven-mayven" and "hey lady" and stuff, was just one of those funny voices they did in cartoons sometimes, like a stuffy British accent, or an exaggerated southern drawl. I had no idea it was meant to be a reference to a real person.

The absolute awe in their voices just sold it for me.

came here to make this post basically

Lorrey and Bogey were an especially effective team, even with their characters at odds. Heck, it was Lorre that convinced him to marry Lauren Bacall when he got cold feet! Now that I've watched a few of their flicks, it's swell seeing a pair of bros like them pop up in the Looney Tunes.

Same. As a kid, I didn't know who these people were or even what "caricatures" were.
I got the internet around when I was 12 though, so things picked up since then.

Always hated this. Old Hollywood self relates wayy to much. It's like that oscar-bait Hollywood movie that almost won an academy award. I never found references to Hollywood in movies, or in cartoons funny. It's a way to make something feel not-self aware and date it immediately. The idea that Hollywood had these "golden years" is so fraudulent and phoney, and it's awful seeing it reflected anywhere.

It actually made me curious about all these old time actors.

Hell, 'The Autograph Hound' introduced me to Mickey Rooney and the antics of The Ritz Brothers.

Maybe not as old but before I watched movies from the 70s as a kid a lot of references in Muppets went right over my head. It was still entertaining but in movies like Great Muppet Caper or Muppets Take Manehattan were a complete mystery to me.

Made me wonder why era cameos were such a big deal with the newest movies when they always had done it.

I just asked my mom what it was referencing like a not-sperg

I still don't know who that guy is but that scene makes me laugh everytime. That's the case with most Muppet cameos, the scenes are funny enough on their own that you don't even need to know that it's a cameo.

I thought it was just one of Looney Tunes characters like Elmer Fudd

>he doesn't know the joys of Peter Falk doing a Humphrey Bogart impression

1. They were funny regardless of whether or not I recognized exactly who they were
2. When I first saw them most of the celebrities were not so far removed from the public consciousness

>They really liked Peter Lorre for a while.
Lorre was fucking huge. Even the japs loved him