Will the western animation industry ever begin publishing comics as cartoons instead of waiting for someone to pitch...

Will the western animation industry ever begin publishing comics as cartoons instead of waiting for someone to pitch something decent? It seems to work for Japanese animation pretty well, and they can already establish whether or not it's worth investing in by seeing how successful said comic already is.

Pic related, already has a decent following, and with it's colorful and unique visuals and characters, partnered with it's sense of humor, it'd probably do decently well on Cartoon Network.

anime continues on slave labor and neet spending more than any western audience ever would because of waifus

That's not my point. I'm not saying to start pumping out millions of adaptions like they do over there in good ol' sun raise land, I'm saying there's a select few out there that could do really well as cartoons, and it'd probably be a better shot than to keep delivering garbage with one diamond in the rough every blue moon.

okay you're still going to have to find slave labor to make it affordable or else it will be too expensive to produce

Is that really what it all comes down to in the end?

Waifus?

How would it be any more expensive than original cartoons? It's not like they'd be animating the original to the exact style, of course they'd dumb down the graphics to make it reasonable, and after that, what would it make it so costly that they'd have to do it off slave labor?

which webcomics would you want to see as a cartoon?

I'd like to see Camp Wedontwantcha.

it's american labor laws. If you want something better than GoAnimate then it costs money and time and to get past the time it means a lot of people all getting paid.

Japan gets around this

The whole "summer camp" aspect is tired

Kek, people can still get shit done with enough dedication and talent. Contrary to popular belief, talented people exist.

Cucumber Quest fucking sucks.

But hiring them cost money.

But "summer camp for kids abandoned by their parents" isn't

It's not like these studios have fucking nothing as a budget, and it's not like decently talented people are charging out of this world prices for their services. Yeah, money is a factor, but the budget isn't everything. Manpower is.

"b-but that manpower cost money!" Yeah, everything in this world needs funding of some sort, but it's not like they can't do it with the funds at hand. Otherwise, we wouldn't have any sort of media outside of good ol slave labor nihon

I almost want to say Nedroid, but I don't know if it would translate well as a full series.

They do have the money. But point is, they don't want to pay too much for it, they'd rather produce subpar works than spend a bit more money to assure a standard of quality.

See the last Mass Effect for exemple where all the goofy bullshit come from a cheap but inexperiented team.

Dr. McNinja, easy

>Contrary to popular belief, talented people exist.
Yes, this is how good looking anime are being made. Most TV series cost the same (I faintly remember reading that every episode of every Toei anime has the same budget - can't find the source now, though), but sometimes great animators want to work on them themselves, because they like the franchise or other people already involved in the project.
It's still wrong to count on talented, dedicated people working for peanuts just for the idea or "exposure" though. Satoshi Kon overworked himself instead of getting cancer treatment and died, for a movie we won't even ever see.

Its not just anime that does that, Hollywood is much more likely to fund something based on a succesful book or something than on something completely original. Hell, there's a few comics that only exist because the people behind it wanted to make a movie and had to have a successful comic to show that it would work.

Basing stuff on existing IPs makes sense but you have to keep in mind it would need to be something already popular with kids. They're the target denographic. So we gets shows based on toys and kids movies, but webcomics aren't really big enough with young children to get an animated series. Or at least the ones that are popular with kids would only work as internet shorts or something.

While there might be some big webcomics kids are into right now, there simply wont be as many as the number into whatever movie or toy franchise, which are more likely to get bigger returns.

There was an animator who died just recently, suspected of overwork, Kazunori Mizuno. It's endemic.

Minus. well not as a full series but as 2 minute shorts

Didn't the guy who did those "Welcome To" animations do something for Cucumber Quest?

I forget if it was just voiceactor readings of it or a full animation.

We Bare Bears was a webcomic.

That said, nobody wants to make something continuity heavy for kids' tv, especially if it's a licensed product instead of something you can get ALL the money from.

JelloApocalypse basically cancelled the series because he apparently hates where the story goes after chapter one. That, plus they weren't getting all that money views compared to hiis other videos and managing non-union voice actors is tough.

What about to for teenagers?

Sorry
About TV for teenagers

Not him, but it's less where the story goes and more that the story doesn't go anywhere for literal years. The comic is built on a structure of intentional repetition to make its points, but it's SO FUCKING LONG that it isn't effective.

Can I get a link to the OP? Please?

I just want the west to have more mixed media projects. Gorillaz is making a killing here but that's all I can think of.

In Japan you get stuff like radio plays and entire albums where you hear the characters singing and bantering with one another. It's cool seeing the work being adapted in multiple forms and using the voice actors more.

Wish that happened here.

But the studios will never do it since would mean they would have to actually take risks

"You don't make webcomics what would you know!"

Couldn't any Sup Forums fags enlighten me on the situation with mangakas and their published work?

Like, is it a situation like Image where they hold on to the rights, or do the major publishers (eg. Shonen Jump) gain them if they greenlit it?

I've always wondered this, have a Based Midget.

Except not true.

If the budget isn't there you can't establish an industry off it, an industry that then encourages competition, innovation, standards, etc. etc. etc.

With talent and dedication and some money you can make a good passion project, but a passion project does not make an industry.

I have literally never read it but somehow I feel like you have given me enlightening advice

And the projects that take risk make tons more bank than the ones playing it safe