ITT: we fix Steven Universe

This show is losing his fanbase fast. Wether you think it's a good or bad thing, how would you improve SU?

I'll start with something obvious:
>either significantly improve or get rid of the townie episodes altogether. On top of being boring and always dealing with the same 7 characters (Ronaldo, Sadie, Lars, Connie, Onion, Jamie, the Cool Kids), they add nothing to the overall story and the characters are just as one dimensional as they were in season 1. It was implied that Steven never went to public school so that he could focus on his gem training, yet these fuckholes are giving that same exact distraction (Sadie trapping him on an island for weeks, Kevin's presence giving his fusion schizophrenia, jumping into Lars' body on accident, the Cool Kids pressuring him into playing with Peridot's ship, every-fucking-thing that Ronaldo did, Onion abusing gem technology, Connie being the ultimate distraction until her mary sue sword skills came in, etc)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tXm6F-K6Ffo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>This show is losing his fanbase fast
No it isn't.
Even if it was, why would anyone care?
If anything, SU's fanbase needs cleansing.

End it suddenly and without warning. Fixes my problems and it'd be funny to see people's reactions.

Why is it losing its fanbase?

Cancel it.

air new episodes on a weekly basis

>significantly cut down filler and crying
>focus on advancing plot and presenting lore
>don't flanderize characters
>crack down on storyboarder consistency

there fixed forever

This.

>Jamie, the Cool Kids
They've only had two episodes a piece.

Please cancel it.

you have any facts about this

Get rid of the Gem Empire and create earthbound villains.

>Wether
As a ramposter, I am triggered

Good.

Shitposting aside, this is simple.
>Be way stricter on storyboarders and writers, make the characters resemble their age and not be chibified. Especially Steven who should look like he's 14 not 8, and Peridot who has gotten even smaller.
>Get the lore and overall plot moving, and whenever its a townie episode make sure it develops the character and moves the plot.
>Make Homeworld feel like a threat again, the past episode they were focused on made them come across as desperate, hopeless and decaying apart from the Diamonds themselves where we saw a hint of Yellow Diamond's intentions and Blue Diamond's ruthlessness.
>Stop with all the fucking hiatus just so you can jerk off to more Teen Titans Go Cartoon Network, its the reason why the fanbase went to shit.
>Make Garnet feel like Garnet again, not just Ruby and Sapphire in one body which goes against the whole point of Garnet.
>More Corrupt Gem hunting, the Peridot one was great.
>Get into more Gem Lore and tell why Rose Quartz shattered Pink Diamond, maybe Pearl was the catalyst for it.
>Introduce Steven/Pearl Rainbow Quartz and the Steven/Garnet fusion already.
>A minor thing, but Connie looked better with glasses.

cancel. show.

>it's a "whine about townie episodes for the trillionth time" thread

I still have yet to see a good suggestion for what to replace them with

>LORE LORE LORE LORE

Nope. If the show is all lore episodes, then lore feels less interesting, has less impact, and is robbed of emotional context. You all want SU to turn into a typical anime where one story gets drawn out for dozens of episodes, but if you actually had that, you'd just complain more and begin waxing nostalgic for the townie episodes.

Well it's getting sub 1 million views on new episodes now.

/thread

Seriously, you can't fix most modern cartoons. Just cancel them and start over with something better.

Jamie had three episodes

The Cool Kids had a lot.

I agree with the rest of your points but it's actually a plot thread that Steven sees himself as an 8 year old so his body makes him that young instead of 14

>Earthbound villains
Like Giygas and Porky?

People have actually come up with non shitposting suggestions.

youtube.com/watch?v=tXm6F-K6Ffo

Pretty pathetic.

Yes, and they all suck because they all start from the mistaken premise that SU was fundamentally a good cartoon that went downhill.

>Jamie
Historical Friction
Love Letters
>Cool Kids (together)
Lars and the Cool Kids
Joy Ride

>they all suck because they all start from the mistaken premise that SU was fundamentally a good cartoon that went downhill.
Oh you're one of those anons...

Citation needed

Which ones?

Well, it's definitely true on Sup Forums at least. There used to be far more positivity about the show here.

Just let it die. The show had its chance, multiple might I add, to do something bigger and they've shit the bed. Once Genndy came back anyways he made the rest of CN look like a bunch of embarrassing amateurs.

>I still have yet to see a good suggestion for what to replace them with

Simple, do monster of the week again.

For one episode at most, okay maybe two. Then SJ joined the rest of the nuCN pack.

>taking Connie off the show
Nigga, she's the only developed human on the show and you're trying to axe her off?

Well episodes keep fucking leaking early online so everyone watches them there, also constant hiatuses and then surprise here's some new episodes suddenly. I missed a whole bunch despite not wanting too because I had no fucking idea new episodes had aired for a long time. It's a catch 22 if you're obsessive about it you probably only watch it online while if you're more casual or just have a life you probably have no clue when it's going to air or when mew epa have aired the schedule is horrible and the fact there's a tiny short new ep sandwhiched with old eps just makes it even more confusing and pathetic, when half hour shows pull this shit at least there's a bigger payoff from navigating the labyrinthine hell of when a new ep is on.

>Restaurant Wars
>Shirt Club
>Dead Beat Dad
>Kiki's Pizza Delivery
>Beach Party
You forgot those.

There technically still is, it's just in /trash/ at the moment.
But really, SU has always had a noticeable negative streak here.

>No bullshit "10 minute shorts are now full episodes gais"
>No More, "we divide the shorts as full episodes and spread them out for whanever we want"
>NO MORE FUCKING BOMBS
>Make the episodes ACTUAL 22 MINUTE EPISODES!
>NO MORE TOWNIE EPISODES
>REPLAN YOUR SHIT
>HIRE A JAPANESE STUDIO TO FIX THE FLOATINNES AND THE WEIRDNESS OF ANIMATION
>for that matter, DONT HIRE CHOPPY KEYFRAME HAPPY GAINAX TRIGGER, HIRE MADHOUSE OR SUNRISE.
>MAKE PROPER PAYOFF FOR PLOTPOINTS, MY GOD I DUNNO WHOS WORSE, SU or SOUTH PARK!

most developed =/= good, and honestly Greg is a way better character than her.

honestly the relationship Steven and Amethyst has, being the two earthlings and weakest members of the team, should have been used for Steven and Connie instead

The "X was always shit; why bother" anons.
Case in point.

>Add more monsters of the week
>We see Steven go to a regular school for a bit to socialize with/get bullied by kids his own age, instead of a town full of brown-nosers
>Have more episodes where the Gems interact with townies for some reason, mostly to see them fuck things up by accident, ala Fusion Cuisine
>Maybe some one-off missions taking place anywhere around the world. They're mostly action-based but could flesh out the earth a bit more.

I've been waiting for the day SU hits rock bottom, and I was looking forward to it despite that I actually enjoy the show. But then Star became the new SU and now I'm disgusted beyond all reason as that is essentially the bastard child of all the negative elements that were bringing down SU and Adventure Time but with none of the interesting writing or concepts, and yet its popularity is skyrocketing faster all of a sudden.

Do more episodic shit. Like seriously. I'm tired of Beach city. Boring ass place. Since it's a storyboard driven show it's amazing how many episodes feel so samey and boring. Did we really need an episode that expanded on the Purple Puma & Tiger Millionaire wrestling and how they got tired of it?

The Crystal Gems should be travelling around the globe and do something instead of waiting for things to happen. Think about it. What's Steven's goal right now? Who is he fighting against? There is not fucking plot to the series, just backstory that no one wants to reveal because reasons.

So, basically what's beyond the actual Crew's control.

The last two episode premieres dipped below one million viewers. That's like We Boring Bears numbers. Don't tell me it was a hiatus or anything either, because these episodes aired a week after one another.

These sort of things just happen. Cartoons are produced so often in large number that sooner or later, a new shiny object captures the attention of kids. TLH took the younger viewers, SvTFOE the tweens, and SJ the older viewers. When SU came out, it pretty much killed AT which had many of the same problems, sure you have a few people in the AT thread now screaming "IT GOT GOOD AGAIN TRUST ME!!!" but that's not going to bring the hordes of viewers and buzz it had back, people have moved on.

Why I'm partly glad Gravity Falls wrapped up when it did, even though it could've easily gone for a third season, Hirsch's pace was so slow it might've killed its own buzz just on account of how lethargic its production was. Still should've at least gotten a move though.

>Sup Forums
>the most contrarian board on this shit
Really fires the neurons, huh?

How about
making it less gay

The last two episode premieres dipped below one million viewers. That's like We Boring Bears numbers. Don't tell me it was a hiatus or anything either, because these episodes aired a week after one another.
That's actually every CN show right now.
CN's obsession with TTG is coming back to bite them in the ass.

Not to mention the hottest

It's MLP all over again. People are starting to wake up to how overrated this multicolored turd of autism is.

>What's Steven's goal right now?
Well, his goal was to find out more about his mom and reconcile with her dark past. Now I think he's getting to the bottom of the diamonds.
>Who is he fighting against?
We've seen Yellow and Blue Diamond. That only leaves White as the odd Diamond out.

>We see Steven go to a regular school for a bit to socialize with/get bullied by kids his own age,
So you want it to be painfully generic?

SHE'S SO BORING

Sorry I have a thing for Indians
The way they obsess over school and being academically perfect is a massive turn on
Plus: the hair.

Sure thing pedofag.

Less crying and emotional bullshit, more action and adventure. I miss episodes like Cheeseburger Backpack and Serious Steven where they would explore gem ruins. What's the point of all the magic and monsters and shit if all they're going to focus on are the characters' emotional baggage?

Star has taken lemons and made lemonade out of its lore and writing. SU and AT had grander seeming concepts that ended up getting sidetracked and bogged down because the showrunners had no control over their pet storyboarders they hired off tumblr.

WHY NOT!?, ITS CALLED GOIN THE EXTRA MILE AND CARING AND PUTTING SOME T-H-I-N-K-I-N-G!

M-MY COVER'S BLOWN!

Reported.

He isn't really fighting the diamonds. They are not preparing for an attack or setting up a defence for Earth. I thought YD's song was setting up an attack on Earth (Let's make a plan of attack/ Let's start looking forward and stop looking back) but the characters have yet to bring this up and no one cares about BD snatching people from earth, then why should I care?
So since Jasper has been defeated, there are no stakes at all in the story.

Did they over go back to exploring ruins or was that only two episodes?

OY VEY ITS ANNUDAH MLP
OY VEY ITS ANNUDAH MLP
OY VEY ITS ANNUDAH MLP
Where's that cartoon with the guy whinning about how everything is the next "Sup Forums boogeyman"

It doesn't have to be generic, since neither Connie nor Steven are meant to be average kids. (Connie's normal, but she's also a fighter and is probably a lot more mature than the average kid.)

Plus having some tension would be a better than having townie episodes, where the only source of conflict is Lars being annoyed with Steven, or Ronaldo being annoying.

>no one cares about BD snatching people from earth,
Greg was the first human BD has kidnapped in years, possibly centuries, assuming that wasn't Pink Diamond.
The humans in the zoo were descendants of the original kidnapped humans and have devolved into man children incapable of taking care of themselves.

Again, that would just be repeating Star Vs' formula of "save the day and go to school". And really, how can a bully cause any conflict when the MC has a bubble that can grow spikes.

Kill it off and give Sugar only season five to finish it off, and also tell her to rewrite to next Season to include enough deaths to make the VA cost go down (seriously, do we need broadway actors and singers for this, expensive.) and the drama go up. Fire most the storyboarders and replace them and force them to stick to a fucking model sheet, going as far to make a bible for the show to give the lore more consistency. Give Steven a rival and give him some more deconstruction, have Pearl realize that dating MG is petty and gross and have her sacrifice herself to save Steven just to rub in her face the fact that shes just a servant for different folks and that she was never free. Have Garnet stick together but also tackle the fact that she is a codependent relationship. Have Amethyst take the leadership role for once and grow because of it and have her succeed, maybe have her lead the zoo amy's are the gems invade their. Have Steven realize he's no longer three and draw him as such. Never show a townie other then Connie again unless a gem is involved. Make Connie less boring by making her nerdy and Sup Forums again. Have Stevonnie do something other then fight and hate Kevin, explore more about feeling and love without being heavy handed with the crying and the singing, more trippy mind stuff. Have the finale lead into some dark shit like the Earth being destroyed by the Cluster and only few thousand are left due to shenanigans, someone fucking dies for real (no bubbling) and there is still room for a (dark and more focused) sequel seven years down the line. Have Homeworld capture Peridot and brainwash her so that way Lapis is forced to fight against Homeworld with the gems and also go into more detail about how BOTH her and Jasper fucked up.

Lastly, add some more locations, have them go to space and make some allies and bring back Punished Jasper

>but the characters have yet to bring this up
The only one who knew about this is Steven and he was in a bad state of emotions.
Now that he's gotten over his mommy issues, I can take a guess on where this is going next.

>Kill it off and give Sugar only season five to finish it off
I think that's already done.

>Fire most the storyboarders and replace them and force them to stick to a fucking model sheet, going as far to make a bible for the show to give the lore more consistency.
I'm pretty sure getting rid of your entire crew is very cost inefficient.

>DONT HIRE CHOPPY KEYFRAME HAPPY GAINAX TRIGGER
This, people only hire trigger because they are "westeboos" but they are a pretty bad studio animation wise, they only one with some talent is imaishi and only because he can make some amusing things with a 10 dollar budget

Five small things (if they haven't already been said)...

1) Get rid of the progressive crap. It's so unnecessary, and it's just attracting more and more tumblr circus freaks and their cancerous bullshit.

2) A better schedule. Enough of this "1-4 weeks on, 1-4 months off" shit. Or better yet, get this show the fuck off of CN (a.k.a. TTGN), and onto Netflix or something.

3) Have Garnet unfuse more often, develop Ruby & Sapphire individually, and quit rubbing their (unhealthy and overdependent) gay relationship in our face every time they're on screen (See #1).

4) Break from Steven's perspective. It puts too much limitation on how the story is being presented. I want to see cutaway scenes of what the Diamonds are up to on Homeworld, or what the Ruby Squad is doing.

5) Give the gems (with the exception of Garnet) each a more womanly figure, and maybe even a nice set of tits, especially Pearl.

Connie is terrible they have nothing to hold their relationship on. Even the premise that they got together was terribly done.

He uses his power in front of her and she has zero reaction. But then he shows athleticism and that's what gets her jets going.

Now all of a sudden she's into magic. Even when they talk there's nothing there, it's all forced. I don't see them having much to go on either.

If anything he's the kinda kid she'd be frustrated with because she's intelligent. She's probably just paling around because she wants to see some cool magic shit. Revealing something like that would at least be interesting to explore.

It kinda feels like a lot of SU's major problems stem from how the show insists that everything has to be told from Steven's perspective. Because of that limit it means that pretty much nothing can happen unless Steven's there to see it, so pretty much nothing can happen until Steven decides to stop sitting on his hands and do/say something that gets the plot moving forward. Which isn't often.

Hell because this writing structure they can't even do a cutaway or a "meanwhile" to show that other things are happening outside of Steven.

>and it's just attracting more and more tumblr circus freaks and their cancerous bullshit.

That's sorta the demographic they're going for

>Give Steven a rival and give him some more deconstruction
1. Would rival would actually suit Steven and how would it not be annoying?
2. I think we've had enough deconstruction for Steven.

>A better schedule. Enough of this "1-4 weeks on, 1-4 months off" shit. Or better yet, get this show the fuck off of CN (a.k.a. TTGN), and onto Netflix or something.
>Hurr I know nothing about how TV networks work!

>Get rid of the progressive crap. It's so unnecessary, and it's just attracting more and more tumblr circus freaks and their cancerous bullshit.
So basically, because you don't like it personally.

The tumblr crowd is cannibalistic though. They drive people away, they've even been known to attack the show creators sometimes. They're the kinda crowd you really don't want to be around.

How about

>air new episodes at the same time every week in a good timeslot with only one hiatus between seasons

what's sadder is that there's numerous loopholes around that, like Garnet's visualized story in The Answer, and Steven's whole power of reading minds/invading bodies of other characters. But they're seldom used for anything interesting, whatsoever

Hell, look what happened with Zuke.

While that is true, they tend to be more hardcore and fanatic and tend to make a lot of fan art which in its own way is advertisement.
Also you have to keep in mind other demographics aren't as likely to watch cartoons as the tumblrites.

>the bastard child of all the negative elements that were bringing down SU and Adventure Time but with none of the interesting writing or concepts,
Well I actually disagree with that because it feels like they were actually building up to those elements (I'm assuming you're refering to lore, worldbuilding, shipping and will they/won't they) over time. It started from literally rock-bottom but then grew into itself in a way people didn't expect and people actually like. AT and SU feels like they had the potential but wasted it while Star feels like the studio realized it's potential and are actually going forward with it

It's a double edge sword, you get die hard fans, and decent fan art, but the draw back is that they're so cultish they will attack even YOU the creator, and drive off other (regular?) people who want to get in on it.

>Inb4 it means they've actually jumped ships

Steven needs to realize he is better than his mother and that his mother is a horrible leader for being 100% idealist. Bismuth flat out said Steven is better than her but Steven still feels like he never lives up to his mothers legacy

>small

This so fucking much. I'm tired of his fucking whining. Like her never learned a single thing from Bismuth.

>Bismuth flat out said Steven is better than her
For not being a lying, decieving backstabber like his mom.

>give pearl tits

>1. Would rival would actually suit Steven and how would it not be annoying?
I feel like you could make it work by presenting them as more human in some way and then having Steven fuck it up by acting like an eight year old. As for his/her personality, they could be quiet and non-emotive so that way Steven doesn't just talk them out of fighting.
>2. I think we've had enough deconstruction for Steven.
In a way I agree, I mean more him suddenly realizing that while the adults cant be adults, why is he still a kid type stuff and not backtracking on it like he has multiple times

>Quit focusing on the boring townspeople
>Make the gems actually likeable characters
>Address the whole child soldier thing
>Have a threatening villain for more than 2 episodes
>Make good action scenes

sorted

>Steven's whole power of reading minds/invading bodies of other characters

That's another issue that SU seems to suffer from: They have the tools to tell some interesting adventure stories or even just some fun/wacky hijinks involving powers between plot points, but as of late most of that is put aside in favor of a lot of bland talking scenes.

Take Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service. The basic premise is simple: A character is having a problem that requires other characters to go into their dreams. It's a straight forward plot that's been done before, but lends itself to a lot of creativity and imagination and even some little nuggets of character into a fun story.

But instead of focusing on that, most of the dream stuff in SU's take on the plot is relegated to a single montage and the rest of it is talking about the dreams rather than actually experiencing them. Something that was usually a basic but fun episode for a kid's show was a total snore-fest.

Which I guess is another point; it often feels like the creative team rarely keeps the fact that their target demographic is supposed to be kids/all ages in mind when they plot out these episodes.

>The bastard child of all the negative elements that were bringing down SU and Adventure Time but with none of the interesting writing or concepts.
>And yet its popularity is skyrocketing faster all of a sudden.
And people say love triangles don't work anymore.

I say maturity will come with responsibility, when Garnet get put out of the picture, and CGs need a new leader figure.